Best Western The Plaza Hotel

BEST WESTERN The Plaza Hotel
Expedia.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Satisfaction Average

Costs 43% more and rated 11% lower than other 2 star hotels

• Noisy, isolated, close to the airport

Stayed here for several days in Honolulu. Would have chosen another place if I'd known I'd be stuck in an industrial area right next to the highway. There's a seedy bar next door, and good plate lunches from a carryout on the other side. Other than that, the only thing it has going for it is its proximity to the airport (good for surprise layovers).
    Seems to be popular with cruise ship crewmembers who are boozing it up on shore leave.

Unique Quality: Pool, restaurant, coin-op laundry, bar. Very close to Honolulu Airport - free shuttle to and from airport.
    You can always grab TheBus for a $1.25, 30 minute ride into Honolulu or walk over to one of the rental car lots and get yourself some wheels.

More about Best Western The Plaza Hotel

They should pay YOU to stay in these rooms

The flight we had to Phoenix was overbooked and we were offered a flight that would depart the next night for free. It was midnight and we decided to stay close to the airport. After renting our car for the next day, the attendant recommended that we stay at the Best Western Plaza near the airport, since it was clean and nice. Since we could think of many hotels from this chain in our own city that were nice, we decided to stay here. That was a big mistake. This hotel is nearly impossible to get to because it's under the freeway so you can't see it when you exit the airport and you're looking everywhere for it. There were like 3 rooms left when we got there. We got to the room and were shocked. Our main problems with the room were 1. smokey smell, 2. three burnt out lightbulbs, 3. disgusting bathroom (I couldn't take a shower like I had planned), 4. carpet with so many stains on it that you'd think they made the pattern on it, 5. a coffeemaker that leaked coffee all over the counter when in use, and worst of all, 6. the inability to sleep due to the fact that it's 20 feet from a major highway. I remember telling myself they should just demo this entire place and build a new building if they plan to have guests in the future. In my opinion, they should rent these rooms by the hour. And as for parking, forget it. We had to pay their daily parking fee of $8 (even though our car would only be there for about 6 hours), and there were NO spaces left.

They claim to have a restaurant and gift shop. I didn't do either because we were dying to get out of this place the next morning. I wouldn't even recommend this place for budget travelers because the going rate for these rooms is awfully high. What a letdown from BW.

Worst Hotel in the World

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at in my entire life. I stayed there years ago and still tell people horror stories about it. I ended up there after my flight had been bumped and my airline put me up for one night. My two most vivid memories are (1) the bathroom had graffiti in it, and (2) when I got into my bed, I realized the sheets were wet. It wasn't clear how they got wet, but they smelled like urine.

Not the greatest

by TripAdvisor Member ozeeboy

Was reading the reviews and decided to throw in my two cents worth - even though I haven't stayed here since Sept 2001. Unless it's changed radically....

On the downside, don't arrive here late, as there's no after-hours restaurant. And the place isn't the cleanest in the world. The pool wasn't clean.

On the plus side: there's a cheap takeout fast food place next door, there's a 7 ELEVEN type store near-by and there's an independent bar next door (Beware though, it's a bit tough).

You can walk to the airport terminals in 5-10 minutes.

It's passable for an overnight but don't plan a vacation here. The noise, lack of cleanliness and good food will get to you.

You shouldn't have to pay more than USD $85 for a single here.

RW
Brisbane, Australia

Free shuttle, nice upgrade

We've done Honolulu overnights here several times, and while it isn't the greatest hotel,when you have a late flight in and can't connect until morning, it's okay. Locals can sometimes get "kama'aina" prices - not offered in the winter, though.

On our last trip to New Zealand, we stayed here overnight, arriving quite late. We'd requested a king bed and non-smoking, and were given a complimentary upgrade to a suite, which was quite nice.

Strictly a convenience stay for airport connections - there are much nicer places for an extended vacation.

Good Overnighter Unless Light Sleeper

by TripAdvisor Member Gordiehowl

Good Airport shuttle every 30 min 24hrs(5min ride).
Good Pool
Clean Room
Great Service
No restaurant on certain days however they will shuttle you a couple blocks to their sister hotel
to eat.
Single pane cheapo windows and freeway cause noise.
Go for a high floor in the tower (top is 12) .
Microwave and fridge avail if asked for.
expensive store in lobby cheap one out back at service station. Fast food place out back looked good.

Not pleased

My husband and I decided to stay here after a 2 week cruise. The room was just for us to sleep in before we caught our flight out the next morning. That is all I had expected a decent place to sleep. Upon check-in I knew I had been wrongly mistaken about my choice. The customer service was below par, but the lobby is decieving. It looks decent, but once you get upstairs into the dim and dingy hallways you get a better idea as to what to expect. The room was disgusting, mildew in the bathroom and pubic hairs on the bed. I honestly did not even want to bother even complaining, I would have been more content in my rental car. That is what we did we left the hotel, since we booked on orbitz the front desk said I had to contact orbitz for the reimbursement, which I didn't even bother with. I was highly disgusted by this hotel, the hotel is below a 1 star in my opinion. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Approach with Caution

by TripAdvisor Member Newporter

My wife and I stayed there on the night before a flight to the midwest and then upon return. We used the Stay and Fly Package for one week parking. Upon return from our week away our car was damaged by someone evidently backing into it. The spaces are very small and distance between rows is adequate for careful drivers, but evidently not the one who hit us and then failed to notify. I went to the desk and advised Raj who was working the desk. He said he would write a report and have it ready to send to the company in the morning.

There was another person on the desk in the A.M. and he said he didn't know of any report being written.

I would advise against leaving a vehicle there if you want it in the same condition you left it in. The rooms are OK but the clientele is a little dicey. I would say the rooms were clean but the building is clearly showing its age. The desk is not unfriendly, but all the gentlemen that I met did not have a particular good fluency in English.

I would certainly check out other hotels near the airport before staying there again.

A real ripoff. Very bad value.

by TripAdvisor Member dleepenn

Room was dirty. Hair in the bathtub and on the sink countertop. The bathmat had been left to rot in the bottom of the tub and was stained badly.
Room was poorly maintained. Cracked plaster and paint in the main room with peeling wallpaper. The lamp between the beds had two light sockets with one socket broken apart with wires showing. Mismatched tile repair in the shower, badly cracked ceiling in the bathroom with peeling paint. Bed was lumpy and you could feel the springs underneath the thin layer of padding over them.

For a $60/night, I might have tolerated some of these problems, but not at the $150/night that I was charged.

Restaurant was even a worse experience. On Sunday, only offered a buffet. Entree choices were beef in heavy gravy and grease soaked fried chicken with lots of untrimmed fat. By the time my wife got to the hot table, there was only fried chicken left. Salad bar had a large bowl of lettuce with lots of old wilted lettuce left in the bowl. At $21/person, this buffet did not even include any drinks; soft drinks or otherwise. As we checked out of the hotel, we saw an advertising panel for a complete seafood buffet for $18.95/person. Made me see red I was so angry. Got no sympathy from the waiter either.

I will never ever return to this hotel again under any circumstance and will recommend others avoid this same experience.

Stay here ONLY if you absolutely MUST stay near the Honolulu airport. Even if this hotel were free, it would still be a bad value.

Nice & close to the airpot

by TripAdvisor Member UnderwaterDiva

We stayed one night at this Best Western before heading to Maui the next morning. They have free shuttle service to and from the aiport. The room was clean although it's seen better days. We ate one breakfast and one lunch there and the food was fine. The breakfast could be ordered off the menu or they had a buffet when we were there. The lunch was buffet. They have a decent looking pool, although we did not use it. The room was quiet and we had no complaints. We like staying near the airport rather than making the trek into Waikik for one or two nights.

Comments