Doubletree Alana Hotel Waikiki Honolulu

Booking.com Agoda.com Priceline.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Doubletree Alana Hotel Waikiki Honolulu

Doubletree Alana Waikiki - good value for the price

Our 10th visit to Waikiki and the best accomodation for the price (but we do not overpay for rooms). Traffic noise at the pool and on the lanai (7th floor) but we were aware of this prior to booking as we knew the hotel location and it was not a problem. Used the pool everday for 2 weeks and on several occasions were the only guests there. Maid service was friendly and competent with requests responded to in a positive fashion. Only minor complaint was on check in we were not able to view the room originally assigned but the upgrade to which we were entitled was provided with out question. The general location is very much to our liking as the pedestrian traffic in the area is much less than others closer to the beach and it is within easy walking distance to restaurants, shopping, park areas etc. Good size for us as no waiting for elevators or service at the front desk.
Very satisfied and would stay again

very disappointed

I recently stayed 2 nigths at the Double Tree Alana Waikiki. I paid extra to be in an ocean view room. And yes if I leaned over the side of the lanai I could in the distance see the ocean, but my primary view was that of the nearby buildings and the roof of the parking structure. The room was adequate although small and it had a really small bathroom. Refrigerator came at an extra charge of $10! Staff was o.k. but not overly friendly. There were repairs going on in the room next door from the early morning on so we could not sleep in.

not as bad as we anticipated

We read the trip advisor reviews for this hotel before we arrived in hawaii, and they had us a bit worried. opon arrival they upgraded our room to a "mountain view" which was nice. The only problem was that the mountain was nowhere to be seen because of all the highrises surrounding us. The room was great, the shower was small though. The people were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was overpriced, but good. The hotel is pretty centrally located; not far from the beach (.3 miles)it was an easy walk to the international marketplace and the mall. if you rent mopeds you can park them for free at the hotel. We rented a convertable from the small shop next door. instead of paying $12 a day to park at the hotel, we payed the guy a few bucks and he let us park in front of the hostel for the weekend, which worked out great.
*** Best happy hour in town!
Our first night we found the shangai bistro (a couple blocks down Ala Moana) from 12- 6 pm all martinis were half off, and appetizers were also 50% off. Great place, friendly bartender (Bryant)

Very nice quiet hotel

by TripAdvisor Member adciss

After reading a number of the previous reviews, I wasn't quiet sure what to expect from the Doubletree, but I was pleasantly surprised!! We got a very affordable rate including breakfast during the weekend of the Pro Bowl when a lot of the other hotels and resorts were much more expensive.

The hotel has completely remodeled all of the standard rooms and are finishing up the penthouse suites. The rooms were decently sized and adequate for the amount of time you are there anyway. All the beds have been replaced with their new sweet dreams package and it was very comfortable. It was also nice to have a small refridgerator in the room for keeping soda and snacks and there is an ABC store around the corner to stock up. There was a large safe for keeping electronics/valuables. As many people have mentioned, the view isn't the greatest. We had a mountain view around some of the larger buildings, but it was still nicer than the view of the snow in Ohio, so it is all about perspective. The only negative was the shower. It was a bit small and always seemed to leak water onto the bathroom floor. It was about 1/2 the length of a standard tub with high tiled walls. We didn't have a problem, but if you had limited mobility, it might be.

If it is available, I would recommend getting the breakfast deal as it is well worth it. For an extra $10/day there was breakfast for 2 adults/2 children. The food was very good and an adequate amount for breakfast. The full breakfast was tastey, and the upside down pancake was outstanding. As HHonors, you get complimentary continental breakfast, but it wasn't much. The secret we found was by combining the breakfast package with the HHonors comp, you could order pretty much whatever you wanted on the menu. As it is a French style restaurant, they were big on presentation and service and it showed.

We also had dinner one evening at the Wine Bar (Valentine's Day - restaurant was completely booked). Wine by the glass was nice - they had a lot to choose from. Menu was somewhat limited (attributed to V-Day), but there were some nice options and we had a great experience. Everyone we met at the hotel was very nice and went out of their way to help you if you needed it.

Parking could be improved as well. Your only option is valet parking for $13/day. If you plan to spend a lot of time around Waikiki you could probably do without as there are a lot of transportation options. Since we were going to Pro Bowl, Pearl Harbor, and to see the island, it was worth having a car. If you just need for a day or so, all the major (and local) car agencies are within walking distance.

Some nice restaurants are also within walking distance and the beach at the Hilton isn't too far of a walk.

Overall: If you are looking for a resort location with all the amenities, the Doubletree isn't for you. If you are looking for a decently priced, quiet hotel with attractions and the beach within walking distance, the Doubletree is worth a look!

Very disappointed

We booked this hotel through Virgin holidays, and all I can say is that I don't know why they are offering this hotel to tourists.

On arrival, we were almost in tears, our room overlooked a back alleyway and a busy, noisy main road.

Forget about eating at the hotel - the restaurant is so over-priced and was full of businessmen.

The pool was closed for 2 days of our stay due to business conferences.
Even when it was open, there was no sunshine - it was completely in the shade and in a very windy spot. We were very disappointed.

Its not near the beach either - when we saw the other hotels on the beachfront, like the Hilton Hawaiian village and the Sheraton, we were heartbroken at our choice of hotel.

I think we were the only tourists in our hotel that week (Sept 2004). I definitely wouldn't stay there again, or recommend it to anyone.

No complaints!

by TripAdvisor Member dlband

We stayed here 3-19 through 3-23-05. We were on a tour through Gateway Music Festival prior to taking our High School Band next year so my trip was discounted but from what I see, the rates are reasonable for anyone. We had a double room, small but very comfortable for two, exceptionally clean and kept clean throughout our stay. Yes, there was traffic noise (we were on the pool side so the street was on our balcony's right) but nothing I found objectionable. If you are looking for scenic vistas, large pools and hottubs, this isn't the place for you. I found one reviewer comment on this site interesting, they were upset to be at the Doubletree after seeing the Hawaiian Hilton down the street. Well, average room rate for the Hilton is about 200.00 more than the Doubletree and it should be obvious that when it comes to luxury, "you get what you pay for". Doubletree isn't luxourious but I found it very nice, clean and quiet with a friendly, helpful staff! The activity desk personnel were especially helpful. With so much to do and see in Oahu, we were up and out early and in late. An extra 200.00 a day would have been an idiotic waste for us! There were many nice, inexpensive restaurants within walking distance and shopping galore! The beach was a 10 minute walk (not counting time spent at the lights for crosswalks ) and through the beautiful shops of the Hawaiin Hilton. This area of beach was quiet and uncrowded. Down the street and to the right of the Doubletree was more shopping. We especially enjoyed the International Market, a "flea market" with vendors who invited haggling and had wonderful inexpensive trinkets and beautiful jewelry. For the money and time spent in the room, the Doubletree exceeded my needs and expectations and I thought it a great value! I would stay there, again, without hesitation. Unless I win the lottery, then I'll stay in Oahu a little longer and have time and money for the beautiful Hilton!

Doubletree beds sooo comfy

by TripAdvisor Member Txgal

My son is in the Air Force and he tried to book a room for us at the Hale Koa where he and his wife were staying (March 18-20). It was full so we were booked at the Doubletree. My sister and I got a double room that had a large lanais and double beds. The room was very clean and the beds were exceptionally comfortable. My daughter-in-law said our beds were much more comfortable that theirs at the Hale Koa. We got a rental car in the lobby and spent our time exploring the island. We would stay at the Doubletree again for the comfort and price.

Nothing special here

by TripAdvisor Member Coattailrider

This hotel is a ten minute walk to Waikiki Beach. It is a decent place to stay, but beware of the dining. The restaurant located in the hotel is not for the budget minded, unless a bottle of wine costing over $400.00 is within your budget (there are cheaper wines available). The rooms are small with smaller showers/tubs. The balconies are nice, but depending on where one's room is located, the view can be ghettoish.
The rooms have a safe in them which is very convenient. The information desk is very helpful and knowledgable of the area. Be sure to check out the street vendors downtown and have plenty of single dollars for the photo opportunities with the performers. Be forewarned, there is no free parking at this hotel.
If one doesn't mind having to walk to the beach and possibly having little or no view from the room while in Hawaii, this is the place to stay.

Great Value, Close to Waikiki Beach

by TripAdvisor Member Bunnyrabbit115

My husband and I stayed at the Doubletree the weekend of May 14. This was my husband's first time there, and my, second. If you're looking for a hotel away from the busyness of Wakiki, but within walking distance of the beach, this is the place. We had a partial ocean view room with king bed for $129.00/night. There was also a small balcony with table and chairs. I enjoyed my morning cup of coffee (thanks to the coffeepot and complimentary Hawaiian coffee in our room) sitting on the balcony. It was great. There is a small workout room and pool (outdoor) in the hotel. Starbucks is only a couple of blocks down the street. Avoid the in-house restaurant. We went for breakfast one morning and not only was it expensive, the service was terribly slow. Valet parking was $13.00 (you do have in and out privileges) and one nice bonus is that you have pool privileges at the Hilton Hawaiian Village which is just a block and a half away since Doubletree is part of the Hilton hotel family.

The first time I stayed at the Doubletree was with two girlfriends May of 2003 and we shared a corner suite. The view was fantastic and the room was very spacious.

The only complaint I had is that on this visit when I went to pay the bill, there was a charge for high speed internet access use. I contested it as I had not brought a laptop this time. The front desk person informed me that if I had used the keyboard next to the television in our room, that would have registered an internet charge. I didn't even notice the keyboard there and felt like I was being duped. They finally took off the charge, but had I not checked the bill and made a fuss, I would have been stuck paying for something I never even used.

If you don't mind not being right on Waikiki Beach and want to save some serious money, the Doubletree is great. Aloha.

Anywhere but here!

I spent 2.5 hours at this hotel in Nov 2004. After this experience I went from spending 75 nights a year at Hilton to 100 nights a year with Marriott.

The room reminded me of a college dorm with 1/2 broken furnishings.

When I asked the front desk if they had a band aid to treat a blister on my 4 year old foot, the response was “NO”. When asked the same individual a second time the response was NO. When I him a third time his response was, “I will have to fill out paper work if I give you a band aid.”

This is when I checked out.

Close-up of the doorClose-up of the door

Ship in the harborShip in the harbor

Boarding photoBoarding photo

Tropics GrillTropics Grill

Authentic Hawaiian gifts

by katmai

Aloha-- I have heard of the Little Hawaiian gift shop in the Royal Hawaiian SC for authentic souvenir items. Does anyone know of other sources in Waikiki or Chinatown for such? And is Chinatown to best place for good deals souvenirs/gifts of all sorts? Specific shop suggestions would be appreciated with directions if known. Mahalo!

by RogerOma

They many collectibles such as dolls, figurines and of course aloha shirts.

by GracesTrips

Best prices for Tahitian Pearls are in Chinatown. Don't accept this first price they tell you. You can bargain them down. Take a very close look at the pearls for flaws. Cheapest souvenirs you can buy (not authentic) are from the ABC store. You can't miss them - they are all over Waikiki.

by RogerOma

Sorry the link doesn't seem to be active but the web address is correct and the name of the place is Bailey's Antiques and Aloha Shirts on Kapahulu about halfway between Leonard's Bakery and Waikiki.

For other things like Tiki masks and dolls the already mentioned ABC Stores (which you can get online) or the International Marketplace or the swap meet at Aloha Stadium. The latter two you can barter over the price as well.

by katmai

Mahalo for your helpful suggestions.

by Karlie85

Bailey's is an awesome store! I could spend hours in there.

There's another place I like called Martin & MacArthur.
They have very nice ornaments, housewares, art, etc., and all of it is made by local Hawaiians. It's much nicer than the plastic hula girls and fake leis that you can get everywhere else. There are a few locations on Oahu. Check it out.

You may want to try the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet. They have lots of the typical keychains and whatnot, but at better prices, and lots of unique things, too. The best part was all of the food stalls.

by aznaphrodite

My friend is from Hawaii and said the Wal-mart actually has a decent selection of cheap Hawaiian souveniors. Can anyone else confirm this?

Thanks in advance!

by jglastetter

Yes, Walmart has a pretty big selection of cheaper souvenirs. For more authentic souvenirs and gifts, I highly recommend Native Books/Na Mea Hawaii in the Ward Center.

www.wardcenters.com/Shopping/Merchants/NativeBooksNaMeaHawaii.html