Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki

Tags

Sailing and Boating Family Travel Beaches
See Amenities
paulvir's Profile Photo

Good location, great view, ok rooms

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 26, 2009

Experience:
Great location. Great service. Great view. We stayed at this hotel during the last full week of 2008, including Christmas, for 4 nights. I tried to research hotels with limited time and settled on this hotel primarily because of location, cost and room size.

All of the rooms have view of the ocean with floor to ceiling window. No garden view, mountain view, or parking lot view here. Also, all the rooms are on one side of the hallway. The other side of the hallway is large windows through which you can view the mountain side of Honolulu. It was nice not having to walk through a dark hallway to get to the room. If you book a cheaper room, you will get a room between 5th through 10th floor. Even these all face the ocean although your view of the ocean is blocked somewhat by the boat marina.

We had to change the room during our 2nd day and they were very good about it. We went from 6th floor to 18th and the view was even better.

Food:
We had breakfast buffet in Prince Court Restaurant in the hotel one morning and it was pretty good. The restaurant is on 5th floor btw. When we went it wasn't too crowded and were seated right next to the window. You shouldn't have problem with getting seats next to the window. There's the usual breakfast stuff plus menu catering to Japanese/Asian tourists. Kids enjoyed fresh fruit.

I discovered Marina Front Cafe on the last morning we were there. You can pick up something quick to eat or coffee. If you are in a hurry to go on a tour that leaves early in the morning Marina Front Cafe would be a good choice. There is a Starbucks and McDonalds across the street from the hotel also. While in Hawaii, you should try McDonalds for some of the items that are available only in Hawaii. They have steamed rice.

We didn't try it this this time but a few years ago I was in Hawaii, we tried shave ice in Prince Court Restaurant and it was awesome. It was a bit pricey for 'shave ice' but it was beautifully presented and the ice was very smooth, which according to my wife is a key part of a good shave ice. If you feel like trying something new while at the hotel try the 'shave ice'.

Room size:
I think its rooms are larger than other Waikiki hotels. About 420 sq ft. And the Bathroom has separate tub, shower, and enclosed toilet area with a separate glass door (the type used for shower stall). Pretty useful when you have kids. Because of the tub I'd recommend this hotel for families with little kids that need to be bathed by parents. They don't have a flexible shower head in the tub so you will need a small bucket for washing little kids. Parents of little kids should know what this means. :)

Parking:
We valeted our car for $22 (?) a day. Self-parking is $15/day I believe. They had different rates for visitors without room reservations. But in case you have visitors coming to the hotel in own car for some reason, they can use metered parking facing the boat marina.

Staying with little kids:
I think parents with little kids should find this hotel to be a good choice. Bathroom's got the big tub plus enclosed toilet area. Top half of the window opens but only adults can open it. I wouldn't leave little kids unattended in the room with the window open obviously but the window is childproof. There is no patio.

Negatives:
-Furnitures are dated. I think the TVs are about 10 yrs old.
-Not much to do at the hotel itself. But Hilton Hawaiian Village is right next door so you could walk over to check it out.
-The furnitures need some upgrading but than the hotel would become even more popular...

Unique Quality: Unique Qualities:
-All rooms have view of the ocean with floor to ceiling window. If your floor is low enough, most of the view is taken up by the small boat marina.
-Not in the middle of Waikiki but near enough that it's quiet. Within walking distance of the Ala Moana Mall.

Directions: A marina is in front of the hotel.

RickinDutch's Profile Photo

A Great Hotel at a Decent Price

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 12, 2006

I spent more time online trying to find the right Waikiki hotel for two nights than I did for 3 weeks on the big island. I have seen the wide variety in properties regardless of price and I wanted us to have a pleasant experience without paying too much. And it paid off! Our two nights at the Hawaii Prince were very nice and the location was ideal.
The hotel is one of the newer hotels in the area. Two 33 floor towers with all rooms facing the water. I had originally booked a 5-9 floor room for $199 but when I called from the Big Island to get a roll away for the grandson, they said it would be an additional $40 per night. When we checked in, they offered to upgrade us to a one bedroom suite on the 23rd floor for $50 (or $249 night). What a deal. We had loads of space, two huge marble bathrooms, and a fantastic view!
Located at the gateway to Waikiki, it overlooks the marina and is a short walk to the Hilton Hawaiian Village and their beach and lagoon. We walked to the beach one day, and took a shuttle the hotel provides that dropped us off at central Waikiki the next.
No bar, but there is a snack bar that serves drinks until late in the huge lobby. Right next door is the Charthouse, a popular bar and restaurant, and Outback Restaurant and Red Lobster also next door.
We did breakfast buffet our last morning and it was very pleasant (but pricey - $22 each)

A nice pool on the 5th floor looking out over the marina. But at 3 1/2 feet it was too deep for our grandson.

The hotel looks like it caters to Japanese clientel with Japanese options at breakfast and a TV guide in the language.

Expedia.Com has a desk in the lobby and act as activity concierge. We found them helpful in booking a morning trip to the Arizona Memorial. I'm not sure what the real concierge does then.

Best of all - my wife was happy with the choice - no easy feat!

sissah's Profile Photo

Great value

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 12, 2004

Ok, this hotel is not directly on the beach at Waikiki -- that makes it a four-star that you can get on Hotwire for $100. I stayed there, and I've put my family up there, and everyone loves it. It is a two-minute cab ride to Waikiki (a mile), and it has a gorgeous, GORGEOUS view. All the rooms face the water, and the window is floor to ceiling. You may look out at the ocean over the marine (like we did), or see it out over the city, but you'll love the view. The staff is accomodating and the facility is nice. I'm a local, and this is where I put people up or stay when I want to spend the night downtown. I recommend this place to anyone. (but get it through Priceline or it'll cost more!)

Unique Quality: The view is gorgeous. Also, if you want to get a beer and not deal with the Waikiki bars, there is a joint on the corner called the Harbor Pub (the stairs below the restaurant upstairs) that you can drink at with the sailors (marine, not Navy), and it's an older, laid-back local vibe. The pizza there is amazing. Otherwise, if you're staying right on the beach, you deal with wicked touristy bars and Sailors (Navy, not marine), and the age is really young.

Directions: Down by the pier or behind Red Lobster and Outback.

Nearby Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Honolulu Travel Forum

Need advice about Honolulu, Hawaii (State of)? Visit the Travel Forum for Honolulu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Honolulu hotel reviews