Hokondo Waikiki Beachside Hostel

Waikiki Beachside Hostel
Agoda.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• spitball's Profile Photo

Go For Cheap, Get No Sleep

This Hostel is centrally located, so for convenience, it's very good. I shared with various people, who at times were okay. At other times, we got the young, vacation "lifesapartyallthetime" who did not consider others' sleeping in the same room. There was one young guy, who had run away from home, had very little money, and would watch the TV from morning till the time he went to bed. I know that I want to stay glued to the idiot box whenever I holiday in paradise.
    The people on the desk were very helpful with any kind of information.

Unique Quality: They have an internet room which has around nine or more terminals, so all you have to do, is visit the front desk and arrange how many minutes you'll need, and pay them ahead of time.
    Then just keep your eye on the timer before your message is finished.

For those who can't go without television, they have an open-air seating area with two or three very large screen'd monsters. This area also had some comfy couches and many chairs and tables.

In the morning/s they supplied tea and/or coffee and toast. But this wasn't until 9:00 AM, and usually I'm up before this hour and hungry, so I had the option of an ABC just around the corner.

There were various vending machines in this area also, for pop and juices, there may also have been candy, I never looked

More about Hokondo Waikiki Beachside Hostel

waikiki beachside hostel - 4 ppl dorm is ok

by cchiuching about hokondo waikiki beachside hostel

I stayed in the hostel on 16th - 19th May 2004.
4 person dorm was okay.
the floor was clean.
bathroom was alright if your are easy to satisfied.
the bed got no bugs. bedsheets were clean.
kitchen was a bit dirty as my roommates cooked frequently but did not wash the dishes immediately.
one of my roommates often did not close the door tightly (card lock type door) - that made me feeling a bit insecured, when i was sleeping.
reception was friendly.
i did not need airport pick-up shuttle, so i don't know if it is good or not.
But the reception staff helped me book shuttle bus to the airport one day in advance, when i check-out, that's nice! shuttle to the airport costs USD6, only one bus per hour (e.g. 8:40am, 9:40am, 10:40am...)
there was a phone in a 4 ppl dorm.
just one block away from waikiki beach.
bus stop nearby.
excellent location.
lots of different tours available.

Hostelling in Waikiki

by auschic1 about Waikiki Beachside Hostel-Hokondo

After hostelling around the world I have definately seen better. However it was cheap, brillant location (1/2 block from the beach), and it had a great common area with big tv and fairly decent rooms. In fact the rooms would be fantastic if not so run down. Every room had 2 tvs and a small kitchen with fridge, and a landline phone.

Heard one girl complain of bedbugs but I had no dramas. Common area closed at 10pm which sucked but alcohol was allowed.

Would recommend as most other people I spoke to didnt rate the other hostels on the same street, the vibe here was good. So so close to the beach!

Fine for a Hostel, good and bad

by TripAdvisor Member Tanya1111

I stayed at Waikiki Beachside hostel for a week at the end of March 2007. I am a single female traveler, early 30's, very laid back and somewhat easy to please. Here's my take:
Good
Friendly staff, not like...over the top but most people are as friendly as you are to them...(on a side note most base staff in Oahu make about $6 bucks an hour, so frankly I'm not sure I would even be as friendly as they were for that money....)
One block from east corner of beach.
Super easy access to the main drag and beach, like 2 minute walk. So the location is great. And $25 a night? My sister stayed at a Sheriton 3 blocks up for $250 USD Plus taxes......
Ok, that said I did hang at the pool at her hotel several times and was thankful she stayed there.
Easy to plan activities.

Bad
Noisy at night, lots of "partying kids"
Not very clean
Not secure - the widows didn't shut, the air conditioning didn't work. I brought my own blanket with me and was glad I made the effort....(also brought ear plugs and a night mask and that helped) If you stay in a shared room with bunks - avoid the bunk bed. If you get stuck using one you can look at the other peoples booking sheets (you have to attach yours at the end of the bed) which tells when they are leaving, and plan to move to a single bed.
I used the safe at my sister's hotel to lock up my passport and cash. NO way would I have left it at this hostel.....just No security.
Um, the shared area is fine....but pretty dirty. I was the only one in my room who didn't use the tables for having breakfast etc - and I was the Only one who didnt' get stomache problems.

General
I really liked Waikiki in general. Its clean and safe (use common sense) and easy to get around. Tons to do! I went to Kailua beach which was Totally worth the trip, note: the kayak rental place is Not on the beach but a couple blocks up, and there is no consesion right on the beach so be prepaired for that. So very worth making it up there though, MUCH nicer than Waikiki, (which is actually very small and full of 100's of people, busy busy).
Hanauma Bay snorking was great, but get there EARLY. I took the first available tour at like 7:40 am and Still had to wait almost an hour to get in. Don't take the Bus, organize a tour pick up for $12, its only a couple dollers more and you have a private guide to take you there and pick you up.
Dukes on the Beach is the main tourist hang out/fun night life, super busy. The Hula Grill, right above it was the Best breakfast place we found. Nice service, good place for breakie and for dinner, but they close at lunch. I went, sat alone had coffee, 2 eggs and toast, overlooking the beach (all open air) and left for under $10. Dinner pricey but Excellent food - Have the crem caramel (sp?) Best one I've ever had.
Dukes is ok if you like rude bartenders and having a hard time getting a table and only want to meet other tourists. Food is ok and drinks very good. Yard House - farther down has more locals (um, navy boys YAY) and super great bartenders.
Oh - and when you get there you will easily get lots of fliers on stuff to do. The catamarans on the beach are very worthwhile and a good value.

All in all, I wouldnt' stay at the hostel again, I think its just a sign of my age. Its fine - if you can only go if you spend $25 a night, then go and you will be fine, just know that its no hotel and you get what you pay for. In this case you get more than you pay for, it is a good deal.

Top Hostel!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Maotraveller

If your looking for good accommodation in Oahu, waikiki.. 10mins from downtown.. with good atmosphere, good staff, good rooms... this is it! Stayed here in Dec 06 and was awesome. Didnt have any issues, although would recommend checking with the day staff before you check out because i left early in the morning and the guy at the desk wasnt really helpfull in explaining my deposit return and everything.

Recommend renting a car for a day or two if you want to get out of waikiki... oahu is completely different to waikiki and there are just so many other top beaches that dont have millions of people crowding them. found some nice spots. Its also good if you want to head up to the northshore... as the bus takes two hours just to get there. With a car you can see all the northshore and even take a scenic ride through the centre of oahu all within the amount of time it takes on the bus. Most have rental shops in waikiki... got ours at the airport and dropped it off in waikiki.. no problems. The hostel also has parking for about 8 cars and is on a first come first serve basis althought they did say if they havent room... they can easily get you a park somewhere close.

A memory for my life!

by TripAdvisor Member ukjingai

I stayed there for about a week in March, 2004. It was my first experience in a hostel and so far, the best one. I had a dorm bed for the first night and then moved into a semi-private with my friend, where we happened to meet two Brazilian chicks as our semi-private neighbors and guess what. BTW, at that time the lounge sofas and chairs were worn and torn but I can see in the pictures that they have changed them. The bed sheets were clean and we could also ask for new sheets if we wanted. The rooms were OK for a beach hostel, but there were some problems in the shower room, the toilet and every thing would get wet even I you tried to avoid the mess. The toilet was not the hungriest so you may had to flush a couple of times.
I had heard of cockroaches but I didn't see any by myself. The security was quite OK but I think anyone should look after very carefully valuables in hostels, no matter where.
The staff were very friendly and helpful, and one of them (I forgot his name, sorry) actually invited me and my friends over for a party at his apartment. The continental breakfast was simple but as promised coffee or tea, bread jam and peanut butter.
The internet room with nice PC stations were convenient but seemed a little expensive to me at that time. The parking lot was also good but your car may get stuck if you want to leave early in the morning. The location was good, a few blocks from the beach. Over all, a great social experience for the sociables, but probably nothing special if you are too introversive or after star rated luxury.

Terrible stay, will never return

by TripAdvisor Member BCTravelling_bum

By reading the reviews I thought I was booking at a pretty good hostel but after staying there realized that maybe it's a good hostel by American standards?? I paid for a semi-private room, what a waste of money. It was dirty and the balcony doors didn't even lock. Definitely will not stay here again, will not recommend to anyone, and will spend the extra $$ and stay at a hotel instead. At least I'll feel safe.

Cheap and nasty

by TripAdvisor Member Belfast23

Like a few other people, when i saw the 'hawaii hostel 2006' award for this place I thought I was getting somewhere nice. I couldn't be more wrong. The one night I spent here was a very long one. Bed bugs and insects everywhere, no ones staying here was over the age of 21 so there was a lot of shouting and drinking going on. I was also approached by two drug dealers asking me if I wanted to buy weed. The location is good however and the stay friendly. No one over the age of 25 should stay here.

waikiki on a tight budget

by surf_waikiki

"where to stay"

Waikiki Beachside Hostel, is an awesome place to stay if you want to save money and stay close to the beach. there are about 200 people staying there at any given time from all over the world. they have a great common area where people like to meet and plan trips around the island. Excelent for solo travelers wanting to meet people to share adventures.

also good place to stay if you want to surf, they have cheap surfboard rentals for beginners and are really close to some of honolulu's best waves. ie short walk to diamond head queens surf beach etc. about 20 min walk to alamoana bowls

"where to shop"

China town has the best deals on just about everything ! get out of waikiki to avoid paying tourist inflated prices on food gifts supplies etc..

take bus 2 or 13 from waikiki takes about 20 min well worth the trip for the savings

ALOHA

by happycampers_3

"Up Up Up and away"

After what seems like an eternal wait, we have finally begun our travels. Hawaii bound we cried our heads off leaving Sydney airport. The flight with Air Canada was brilliant. The plane was nearly empty and lisa managed to sleep for about 7 hours while i was reading and drinking wine, by myself.

Outside the airport we looked for a hotel. We found a guy (pete) doing the same thing so we all booked rooms at the same place. Got there and it was right near the airport and in an industrial area. Very "typical" American style motel. In truth it was pretty skanky. Pete, the bloke we met at the airport decided to join us for a drink. The only bar open and within a 10k radius of our place was a little bar called "Club Foxy"! reeeeooooowww
We didnt know if it was a good idea to go in or not, desperate for a drink we ventured in anyway. Well........ there were "peelers" on a pool table and a little Asian "mumma" running round telling people what they would and wouldnt do. We decided what the hell???? and drank away until 2 in the morning. hehehehehe and of course we DEFINATELY said no to "poo poo"! hahahahahaahha

"Waikiki"

Pete, Lisa and I were now Waikiki bound. We set ourselves up at the Waikiki Beachside Hostel and have spent the last few days drinking, sightseeing and sleeping.
Monday night we went out to Da Dawg House bar in the International Markets in town. It was a pretty dodgy pub that our two Aussie roomies, Stuey and Ray had found earlier in the week. Lisa discovered rasberry vodka and we played pool and drank most of the night away.
We had our first "aussie" induction when the DJ played "land down under" and the dance floor cleared off and us 6 aussies (2 others at the bar also) were left dancing up a storm, slurring the words to the song as best as we could in the middle of an Hawaiian pub was just brilliant!! Leaving at 4.00 in the morning full of grog wasnt.
(Please see the Pearl Harbour Page for the results.)

We spent Tuesday in Pearl harbour and then opted for an early night. Yesterday, Wednesday we went down to the beach for the first time! we spent a good 17 or 18 minutes basting ourselves in the sun before we decided that we really would be more appropriately positioned at a bar overlooking the beach.
We did do a city tour first before catching up with Pete at Tikis for a few bevvies and a bite to eat.
We spent today, Thursday driving round the island in a convertible we hired and ofcourse we made a few pit stops to load up on some Island shopping! A bit tired and a bit sunburnt we are looking forward to just one short flight and we are in Vancouver! wahooooooo

waikiki beachside hostelwaikiki beachside hostel

Hostels & Fun Night Clubs in Honolulu

by alamnash

Hey whats up, I'm doing a 3 day stop over in Honolulu, end of June. Looking for some recommendations on the on some hostels and night clubs. Wouldn't going to a more scenester location that plays electro, and indie stuff. Hopefully something along those lines, but I'm also down for the must-see clubs too.

Thanks!
Nash

by eenelfje

I have stayed 2 times at Waikiki Beachside Hostel, great hostel, great people staying there and the location is fantastic !! Just 1 block, a 3 min. walk from Waikiki beach !

by Onedragon

Nash
The Waikiki Seaside Hostel is really a good choice!!
I haven't been to the clubs lately...but Kuhio Avenue has PLENTY of them to see... The Ocean at Restaurant Row is NICE !!!! Very Popular !!!!!! : ) Eli

by Summer33

I agree with the beachside hostel, it was nice, really close to all the action and the accomodations weren't bad at all!

Comments