Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort And Spa

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Booking.com

Costs 36% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• onero's Profile Photo

May fail to deliver the room you paid for.

My friends and I have all had bad experiences with the Hyatt Regency. We all paid extra for a better room with a view, and on arrival found ourselves stuck with a room which didn't have the view they’s paid extra for.

Worse, our complaints to the management met with stony-faced silence. IN other words, they took our money, then failed to deliver the room we paid for, then tried to ignore our protests. Pity for them we were journalists, and could play the Media Card. But let me explain:

My partner and I bought a special package deal to Hawaii in February, which including 8 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, I wanted to make sure that I had a room facing Waikiki Beach, because package deals sometimes leave you in a room at the back of the hotel. So, before I left home, I checked what types of rooms the Hyatt Regency Waikiki offered. The Hyatt said they offered three types of rooms: No-Ocean View rooms, Partial Ocean View Rooms, and Ocean View Rooms. So I told them I would pay extra money for the Ocean View Room.
    They accepted the booking and took my extra money.

Then, just to make certain of getting an Ocean View Room, I joined the Hyatt Gold Passport Club. This offered me extra good service and a POINTS system for every stay, plus a Customer Service office. I emailed the Customer Service office and asked them to confirm our OCEAN VIEW ROOM. They checked my booking and did confirm it.

So, after all this work and extra money, Imagine my surprise when my partner and I arrived at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, and were sent to our room on the 22nd Floor, and discovered that it looked out mostly onto the high-rise car-park opposite. You could only see a tiny sliver of beach and water from the edge of the room's big sliding window. True, if you went onto the balcony and leaned out, and looked to the right, you could see a part of the ocean view … but we hadn’t paid for a Part-Ocean View Balcony. We'd paid for an OCEAN VIEW ROOM.

We said nothing about this at first, because the staff at the Hyatt were so nice. Lili at Reception sent fruit to our room because it was my birthday. Kalena at breakfast (in the Shor) went to the trouble of learning my first name, so she could greet me by name every morning. Nabil (Supervisor at poolside restaurant Swim) instantly cancelled my bill when the salt-grinder on my table ground rust into my meal instead of salt. These people and others really make a holiday enjoyable. I also had work to complete with the US Coast Guard in Honolulu.

But after several days, when my work was completed, I got to spend more time in my room, and the poor non-ocean view began to annoy me. So, I decided to write a review for my newspaper column, revealing what a bad experience I'd had with the Hyatt Regency room, and how I paid extra and felt ripped-off.

However, as a good journalist, I wanted a balanced review. So, I had to give the Hyatt management a chance to respond.

Therefore, I went to the Hyatt Regency front desk and spoke to the Day Manager, Francis. I told Francis I had paid extra for an Ocean View Room, but the room I was given looked onto the hi-rise car park next door. That was not an Ocean View in anyone’s book. You could see part of the ocean if you went onto the balcony and looked to the right. But the ocean was not visible from inside the room itself. At best, this could only ever be described as a Partial Ocean View room. It was definitely NOT the Ocean View Room I had paid extra money for.

Francis checked our room number on his computer, and rather bluntly informed me that the room I’d been given WAS LISTED as an Ocean View Room.

I said, "Francis, I invite you to come up and have a look at the room yourself. You can see nothing more than a tiny sliver of beach from the room itself, and only a part of the ocean if you go out on the balcony. So at best it's a partial ocean balcony, and it's absolutely NOT what I paid extra money for!”

Francis looked me up and down in that dismissive 'Faulty Towers' manner some hotel managers reserve for pests, and sniffily replied, "That's your opinion!"

I was a tad annoyed by this snide and dismissive response. So I played the Media Card and said:
    “Thanks, Francis. Just so you know, I’m a journalist. I needed to be fair to this hotel, and give you a fair chance to hear and respond to my complaint. Now you've responded, I will be using your name and quoting your response in my newspaper review. Thanks for speaking out!”

Then I went back to my room, and sat down to start writing my review.

Within thirty minutes, the phone in my room rang. It was Renee Nakashima, the Hyatt's Senior Sales Manager. She said she's heard I was unsatisfied and wanted to know why. I told her everything I’d told Francis, adding that the hotel staff are generally excellent, but in my review I'd be saying the hotel management is cheating its customers by taking extra money for Ocean View rooms and failing to honour their obligations by delivering only partial ocean view rooms like mine. My review would say this was a kind of fraud, and by treating me this way the Hyatt Regency Waikiki disrespected and cheated customers. Renee was full of apologies. She said the hotel was having some trouble with room descriptions (obviously) but was trying to fix the problem. Meanwhile, she was going to immediately arrange to move me to a new room on the 38th Floor, with a real ocean view (see my photos) and also give me a Regency Club pass (to their private Club room on the 3rd floor, with a private balcony overlooking the beach - and free food and cheap drinks and free internet), plus she was going to take care of our $20 per day Hotel Tax.

So, for the last two days of our 8-day stay, we had the room we’d paid for, plus some fringe benefits. Sometimes it pays to complain.

I must add that, for a moment I was tempted to rip up this review, because of Renee Nakashima’s user-friendly response, which was so much more customer-friendly than Francis, the dismissive Day Manager.

However, when I returned homem I discovered that the Hyatt had failed to add any points to my Gold Passport. I contacted their Customer Service people again and asked why? They responded by saying, “Your reservation was booked through third party (my travel agent). As the rate that was paid was discounted room rate it is therefore ineligible for Gold Passport credit.” This was written despite the fact that I’d paid extra money to upgrade my room rate. As usual, the Hyatt delivered this bad news AFTER I'd paid them, and once again failed to deliver. The management apparently have never heard of the old retail slogan, "The Customer is always right."

It was this last offensive response from the Hyatt that convinced me to sit down and write a review. And here you have it. I have been to Hawaii many times, and stayed in many hotels. The Hyatt is a good hotel with great staff. But the Hyatt Regency management's unfriendly and unsavoury room policy makes this hotel the worst I have every stayed in, in Waikiki. For three-quarters of my stay, they cheated me out of the room I'd paid extra for. Then they cheated me out of points. That was a bridge too far. I will never stay at the Hyatt again.

Unique Quality: The hotel isn't on Waikiki Beach, but is across the main road from the beach and has a good beach view. Sadly, even if you pay extra for that view, you may not get it. That's what happened to me. Be aware, the management has a special room category which they call a FRONT OCEAN VIEW. They didn't mention this when I paid extra for an Ocean View Room, but they did mention it when I complained that my Ocean View Room didn't have a view of the ocean! They thought this was an OK way to treat their customers. I thought this was the best reason to stay at the Outrigger Reef or Hilton Hawaiian Village next time I visit Hawaii.

Directions: The Hyatt Regency is on Kalakaua Avenue, but the main entrance is on Uluniu Avenue. To reach it, turn left one street before (Kaiulani Avenue) then turn right into Koa Avenue, and turn right again into Uluniu Avenue. The Hyatt entrance is on your right.

More about Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort And Spa

Great Location, Great View, Great Service!

by sorcieus about Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort and Spa

Basically you get what you paid for.
Great service - great view - great location.
I would highly recommend this if you are looking for a luxury travel. You can't beat the view of waikiki beach from this hotel.

twin tower on the beach

by stonefree about Hyatt Regency Waikiki

This hotel serves you with great views of Southern Pacific ocean when you had a room on the southern side, while you will find the mountain views are great, too if you had a room on the northern side. You don't have to be worry you will have a view of the Diamond Head on the east side or other hotels and the shops on the Waikiki beach line on the west side.

Waikiki

by funnynsweet67 about Hyatt Regency Waikiki

My experience at this hotel was the best. Everyone was extremely friendly and very helpful. Their were lots of activities to do, if you had the time and the service was great. The main characteristic that stands out in my mind is when you walked into this hotel there weren't any doors to the main lobby. The entire lobby is open. With the ocean right across the road the breeze was blowing through the lobby of the hotel.
When you reached your room, there were balconies on the inside of the hotel and the outside. While standing on the inside balcony you viewed the inside of the hotel which was nothing but beautiful hawaiian flower gardens, fish ponds and a little hawaiian cafe. The smell of fresh scented flowers all over, birds flying in and out of the building. It was so peaceful and tranquil.
The outside balcony viewed the ocean which is outstanding.
Our room was ocean front and very spacious, with all the amenities anyone could ask for.

Spectacular Beach (But Boracay is Better!)

by machomikemd

Never has a beach been as fabled as Waikiki. Since the 1950s, this beach has been a tourist destination extraordinaire. While much of it has been eroded, trampled by millions of feet, or encroached upon by towering skyscrapers, hints of its original beauty can still be seen in the crashing waves and the warm sand. Come night time, the hipsters strut their clubwear on the beachwalk, and lovers find peaceful little nooks under the cover of sweeping palm trees.

Waikīkī extends from the Ala Wai Canal (a channel dug to drain former wetlands) on the west and north, to Diamond Head or Lēʻahi on the east. The name means spouting water in Hawaiian for springs and streams that fed wetlands that once separated Waikīkī from the interior. Waikīkī has long been a place of relaxation. In particular, the area was a retreat for Hawaiian royalty in the 1800s. Today it is considered the center of the tourist industry in Hawaiʻi, with an abundance of both high-rise resort hotels (including the Hilton Hawaiian Village, the Halekulani hotel, the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, and the Sheraton Waikiki) and historic hotels dating back to the early 20th century (such as the Moana Surfrider Hotel and the Royal Hawaiian Hotel).

Since 2001, there have been free movies on the beach. Many tourists from around the world can view a movie on an outdoor 30 foot screen. This particular free movie event in Waikiki is called "Sunset on the Beach". Get a rubber raft at a nearby ABC or E-Z Discount stores and float offshore. Sea turtles frequent the area fronting the “grand dame” of Waikiki, the Westin Moana Surfrider Hotel. Cool off with a mai tai under the banyan tree where “Hawaii Calls” was broadcast for 40 years.

Disappointing and below Hyatt's standards

My family and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki for 7 nights from Aug 6-13. Even though the location of this hotel is perfect-across from the beach and Duke's statue, we were disappointed because the rooms were sub-standard. The bathrooms were dingy and dirty. The rooms were decorated with cheap and out-datted furniture. The cleaning lady even forgot to come by during the middle of our stay. We were charged for items from the mini-bar even though we did not take them. This is an over-priced hotel that provides mediocre services and immenities. We had booked a vacation package with Expedia so we were unable to change to another hotel. Next time, we will definitely stay somewhere else ie, the Halekulani.

Nice Hotel, But $$$

by TripAdvisor Member Bay_Area_Traveler62

I just returned from a one week stay at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. It is located right on the strip, across the street from the beach. It is a busy, bustling location, right in the middle of all the action. You can walk to many shops and restaurants with ease. We were in a newly remodeled room which was very nice. The granite bathroom countertop is lovely, as are the new curtains, rug and furnishings (kind of a Tommy Bahama-Ethan Allen feel). Extras are not included. Slippers are $4, a cup of single brew coffee is $1.50 (and not very good!) and the safe is $3 per day. The honor bar is costly. We had a refrigerator sent up to store our own drinks and water (yes, there was a charge for that too). The pool is nice, but very small for a hotel this size. It is usually packed, with no lounge chairs available (unless you go early or late). Many tourists were trying to use large rafts and beach balls in the pool, which we found amusing. Since the beach is across the street, perhaps the hotel felt only a small pool was necessary. There are nice wooden rocking chairs by the pool, that face Waikiki beach. It's nice to just sit in the chairs and people watch. You can see the surfers, the waves...very nice. There are also two hot tubs located next to the pool. The service was great - wonderful staff, helpful and professional. My only gripe is the nickel and diming where ammenities are concerned. Like other hotels in Hawaii, there is the feeling that this one certainly caters to the Japanese. I am Asian American, and was mistakenly spoken to in Japanese a few times (understandable, yet somewhat annoying). The breakfast buffet is mediocre, so if you are craving a yummy buffet in the morning, this one isn't it. All in all a beautiful hotel that is clean, offers great service and views, has wonderful shops (lots of stores) and is located right in the heart of town. Rooms were quiet at night. Waiting for the elevator can be time consuming, but overall, a nice place. The waterfall they have is especially pretty.

Japan or U.S.A. ?

Stayed at the Hyatt Waikiki in Honolulu in May. Beautiful hotel, friendly staff and fantastic vieuw from the 33rd floor on Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head. Just one small remark: hotel, and for that matter Honolulu, seems to be taken over by the Japanese.

Not up to Hyatt standards

by TripAdvisor Member lsjaeger

I have stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Waikiki many times over the years and have always felt that the facility itself is fantastic and a great location, however, the guest hallways and rooms are not up to Hyatt standards.

I just completed another stay from 5/15 - 5/18 and the rooms are definitely in need of refurbishing. The good news is that they've announced a $14,000,000 refurbishment program.

I used Hyatt Gold Passport points to upgrade to a Regency Club room and didn't think the points were worth it. The hallways are more nicely decorated (all the other floors should look like that) and there was not much difference in the room itself....just some marble around the sink area. The breakfast offerings in the Regency Club were fairly basic (cold cereals, fruit, bread, hard boiled eggs, coffee, etc.) not up to what you would expect at resort/non-mainland clubs.

Room service was prompt, however, service was spotty: one morning breakfast served without a table cloth and lacking ice water.

The staff are very friendly and extremely helpful. Hopefully, after a $14,000,000 renovation, the facility itself will match the staff's excellence.

Would stay at Hyatt again.

by TripAdvisor Member DukeFuji

We stayed there a few weeks ago. Yes, the rooms need some serious upgrading. Yes, the breakfast buffet could use some improvement. However, the staff was EXTREMELY helpful and very friendly to my family and in-laws. We would stay there again.

Comments