Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort And Spa

Tags

Spa and Resort
See Amenities
onero's Profile Photo

May fail to deliver the room you paid for.

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 7, 2014

My friends and I have all had bad experiences with the Hyatt Regency. We all paid extra for a better room with a view, and on arrival found ourselves stuck with a room which didn't have the view they’s paid extra for.

Worse, our complaints to the management met with stony-faced silence. IN other words, they took our money, then failed to deliver the room we paid for, then tried to ignore our protests. Pity for them we were journalists, and could play the Media Card. But let me explain:

My partner and I bought a special package deal to Hawaii in February, which including 8 nights at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, I wanted to make sure that I had a room facing Waikiki Beach, because package deals sometimes leave you in a room at the back of the hotel. So, before I left home, I checked what types of rooms the Hyatt Regency Waikiki offered. The Hyatt said they offered three types of rooms: No-Ocean View rooms, Partial Ocean View Rooms, and Ocean View Rooms. So I told them I would pay extra money for the Ocean View Room.
They accepted the booking and took my extra money.

Then, just to make certain of getting an Ocean View Room, I joined the Hyatt Gold Passport Club. This offered me extra good service and a POINTS system for every stay, plus a Customer Service office. I emailed the Customer Service office and asked them to confirm our OCEAN VIEW ROOM. They checked my booking and did confirm it.

So, after all this work and extra money, Imagine my surprise when my partner and I arrived at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki, and were sent to our room on the 22nd Floor, and discovered that it looked out mostly onto the high-rise car-park opposite. You could only see a tiny sliver of beach and water from the edge of the room's big sliding window. True, if you went onto the balcony and leaned out, and looked to the right, you could see a part of the ocean view … but we hadn’t paid for a Part-Ocean View Balcony. We'd paid for an OCEAN VIEW ROOM.

We said nothing about this at first, because the staff at the Hyatt were so nice. Lili at Reception sent fruit to our room because it was my birthday. Kalena at breakfast (in the Shor) went to the trouble of learning my first name, so she could greet me by name every morning. Nabil (Supervisor at poolside restaurant Swim) instantly cancelled my bill when the salt-grinder on my table ground rust into my meal instead of salt. These people and others really make a holiday enjoyable. I also had work to complete with the US Coast Guard in Honolulu.

But after several days, when my work was completed, I got to spend more time in my room, and the poor non-ocean view began to annoy me. So, I decided to write a review for my newspaper column, revealing what a bad experience I'd had with the Hyatt Regency room, and how I paid extra and felt ripped-off.

However, as a good journalist, I wanted a balanced review. So, I had to give the Hyatt management a chance to respond.

Therefore, I went to the Hyatt Regency front desk and spoke to the Day Manager, Francis. I told Francis I had paid extra for an Ocean View Room, but the room I was given looked onto the hi-rise car park next door. That was not an Ocean View in anyone’s book. You could see part of the ocean if you went onto the balcony and looked to the right. But the ocean was not visible from inside the room itself. At best, this could only ever be described as a Partial Ocean View room. It was definitely NOT the Ocean View Room I had paid extra money for.

Francis checked our room number on his computer, and rather bluntly informed me that the room I’d been given WAS LISTED as an Ocean View Room.

I said, "Francis, I invite you to come up and have a look at the room yourself. You can see nothing more than a tiny sliver of beach from the room itself, and only a part of the ocean if you go out on the balcony. So at best it's a partial ocean balcony, and it's absolutely NOT what I paid extra money for!”

Francis looked me up and down in that dismissive 'Faulty Towers' manner some hotel managers reserve for pests, and sniffily replied, "That's your opinion!"

I was a tad annoyed by this snide and dismissive response. So I played the Media Card and said:
“Thanks, Francis. Just so you know, I’m a journalist. I needed to be fair to this hotel, and give you a fair chance to hear and respond to my complaint. Now you've responded, I will be using your name and quoting your response in my newspaper review. Thanks for speaking out!”

Then I went back to my room, and sat down to start writing my review.

Within thirty minutes, the phone in my room rang. It was Renee Nakashima, the Hyatt's Senior Sales Manager. She said she's heard I was unsatisfied and wanted to know why. I told her everything I’d told Francis, adding that the hotel staff are generally excellent, but in my review I'd be saying the hotel management is cheating its customers by taking extra money for Ocean View rooms and failing to honour their obligations by delivering only partial ocean view rooms like mine. My review would say this was a kind of fraud, and by treating me this way the Hyatt Regency Waikiki disrespected and cheated customers. Renee was full of apologies. She said the hotel was having some trouble with room descriptions (obviously) but was trying to fix the problem. Meanwhile, she was going to immediately arrange to move me to a new room on the 38th Floor, with a real ocean view (see my photos) and also give me a Regency Club pass (to their private Club room on the 3rd floor, with a private balcony overlooking the beach - and free food and cheap drinks and free internet), plus she was going to take care of our $20 per day Hotel Tax.

So, for the last two days of our 8-day stay, we had the room we’d paid for, plus some fringe benefits. Sometimes it pays to complain.

I must add that, for a moment I was tempted to rip up this review, because of Renee Nakashima’s user-friendly response, which was so much more customer-friendly than Francis, the dismissive Day Manager.

However, when I returned homem I discovered that the Hyatt had failed to add any points to my Gold Passport. I contacted their Customer Service people again and asked why? They responded by saying, “Your reservation was booked through third party (my travel agent). As the rate that was paid was discounted room rate it is therefore ineligible for Gold Passport credit.” This was written despite the fact that I’d paid extra money to upgrade my room rate. As usual, the Hyatt delivered this bad news AFTER I'd paid them, and once again failed to deliver. The management apparently have never heard of the old retail slogan, "The Customer is always right."

It was this last offensive response from the Hyatt that convinced me to sit down and write a review. And here you have it. I have been to Hawaii many times, and stayed in many hotels. The Hyatt is a good hotel with great staff. But the Hyatt Regency management's unfriendly and unsavoury room policy makes this hotel the worst I have every stayed in, in Waikiki. For three-quarters of my stay, they cheated me out of the room I'd paid extra for. Then they cheated me out of points. That was a bridge too far. I will never stay at the Hyatt again.

Unique Quality: The hotel isn't on Waikiki Beach, but is across the main road from the beach and has a good beach view. Sadly, even if you pay extra for that view, you may not get it. That's what happened to me. Be aware, the management has a special room category which they call a FRONT OCEAN VIEW. They didn't mention this when I paid extra for an Ocean View Room, but they did mention it when I complained that my Ocean View Room didn't have a view of the ocean! They thought this was an OK way to treat their customers. I thought this was the best reason to stay at the Outrigger Reef or Hilton Hawaiian Village next time I visit Hawaii.

Directions: The Hyatt Regency is on Kalakaua Avenue, but the main entrance is on Uluniu Avenue. To reach it, turn left one street before (Kaiulani Avenue) then turn right into Koa Avenue, and turn right again into Uluniu Avenue. The Hyatt entrance is on your right.

cjg1's Profile Photo

Good Stay and Location

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 8, 2014

This was our first stay at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. As we planned our trip we debated several hotel options; some new to us and some old favorites before we chose the Hyatt. We have upper level status with several hotel chains so it made it difficult to chose as status equals free perks.

In the end we chose to stay at the Hyatt due to location and that it was a new property for us. I am a Diamond with Hyatt so I knew staying here would afford certain perks that would increase value to the hotel as well. We booked a regular city view room but were upgraded to a Deluxe Oceanfront (which I knew they would do). Unfortunately I couldn't use one of my Suite upgrade certificates as they were all booked up.

Check in was easy,fast and friendly. We arrived late in the evening and just wanted to change and get some food before passing out for the night. We received complimentary leis along with our room keys (we did have a problem with them working so it was back down to the desk to get it fixed).

Our room was on the 26th floor facing the ocean. We had a king bed, large bath room, desk, chair, dresser, Tv and large balcony with two chairs and a table. The ocean/beach views were beautiful and the sound of the waves was heaven to us. Our stay was very comfortable and we enjoyed the property immensely.

We enjoyed our club access which provided us with free breakfast, snacks and drinks throughout the day. The pool area did look nice but we spent all of our time at the beach. Service here was very good except for a small problem with housekeeping arriving after 5pm to make up our room. That issue was corrected as soon as we reported it and no issues going forward.

The hotel property itself is divided into two towers. The hotel pool and restaurants are primarily on the third floor. The Lobby level has the check in area as well as shops. The Atrium shops are below the lobby and have a nice assortment of stores to shop till you drop. The hotel is right across the street from the Duke Statue and Waikiki beach which made it very easy to head off to the beach any time of day( Beach/pool towels are available to hotel guests by the pool area. You have to sign out the towels and return them to the desk or else you are charged.) All the shops and restaurants in the area are well within comfortable walking distance. Transportation options such as taxis and buses are plentiful as well.

I think this is a great hotel for the actual property, location and amenities. I will definitely stay here again in the future.

**Our Diamond status not only gave us club acess but parking and resort fees were waived as well during our stay.**

Unique Quality: The location of the hotel is excellent. Shopping and restaurants are all within walking distance. The beach is right across the street; which is very convenient without paying the price of a "beachfront" hotel.

Nearby Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort And Spa

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Honolulu Travel Forum

Need advice about Honolulu, Hawaii (State of)? Visit the Travel Forum for Honolulu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Honolulu hotel reviews