Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort And Spa

Booking.com Marriott.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Jannacle's Profile Photo

An amazing hotel on Waikiki Beach

We loved the Waikiki Marriott, granted we stay in marriotts most everywhere we go because we've always been very pleased with them but this hotel was especially nice. Concerige was amazing and gave us great directions to our Luau on the other side of the island and to Pearl harbor. She gave us a ton of really good insider information and saved us a lot of money on different events and souveniers.
    The lobby is open air as most in Hawaii are and it is spacious and absolutely gorgeous. The flower arrangements were divine!! You have never seen anything like them.
    We had a double balcony and had views of both the mountain (which looks almost magical at night) and the beach. It was very spacious and you could sink into the beds and stay all day if there wasn't so much to do. Great room service.

Unique Quality: The decor is so tropical and modern. The room had the most beautiful drapes and sheets. Yellow usually isn't a color I would like but they found a beautiful pattern that was pure Hawaii. The decor throughout the hotel was just as true to the tropical spirit. I have to mention once more the gorgeous floral arrangments! The architechture is also really modern and open.

Directions: It is right on the beach on the main strip in Waikiki.

• janiac's Profile Photo

Great location, perfect for our needs

This hotel was very nice and fit our needs. The rooms were quite large. We didn't add a cot to our two doubles, but one could have easily fit. We had an ocean view and a nice balcony to enjoy evenings on. I actually enjoyed quite a few nights eating breakfast or snacks there that I had stored in my fridge.

The music from the hotel next door could be nice at times, annoying at night when I was trying to sleep. Although, I was usually so tired, it didn't matter how loud it sounded.

Pluses: Hotel has a lot of things onsite -- two ABC stores for basic needs, restaurants and stores, plus two concierge desks located in different parts of the hotel with usually two concierges working both desks (meaning four total), and a very nice spa.

Drawbacks: the pools were smallish for a resort. . Elevators were very slow (partly because all 400 girls and parents had to be places at certain times or tried to go back to their rooms at the same time)

I don't know how much my room was because it was part of the package deal we got through AACD

Unique Quality: Location is great if you don't want to be situated in the middle of the wackiness of Waikiki. It's situated on the far end of the strip so it's quieter, but close enough to easily walk everywhere.

There is a small beach area with a protective breakwall (almost a completely walled in beach area), so it's safe, but not as pretty as a natural ocean. There are fish in here, and the girls and I brought bread down and fed them (looked like a piranha frenzy after awhile).

Directions: near the zoo, directly across the street from the beach

More about Marriott Waikiki Beach Resort And Spa

Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

by ejvigil about Oahu

The hotel is super nice and across the street from the beach! People there are nice and so helpful with everything.

There's also a few ABC stores among the rest of the shopping you can do in the lobby!

Marriott, Waikiki Style!

by H-TownJourneyman about Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa

What can I say, another fabulous Marriott hotel, located on one of the world's most fabulous beaches! Now the hotel is called a resort, but quite honestly, when I think of resorts, this particular property does not come to mind. Now don't get me wrong, I would say this is one of the nicer hotels I have stayed at in Hawaii. But what I mean by "not a resort" is simply it's location more than anything. Maybe it could be an "urban resort", but I generally consider a resort more open, directly on a beach or rural area. This Marriott, although just a stone's throw from the beach, is actually across the street from it. Which makes it a little out of the way for someone looking for a resort with direct beach access. Personally, it didn't bother me one bit, and plush accomadations are not on my list of priorities when traveling. But I think for a person who wants to be at a Hawaiian beach resort on the beach, they should be forewarned a short walk across the street is part of it. That being said, the hotel is most definately up to Marriott standards, if not above. The staff was excellent, front desk and concierge had great recommendations for area as well as island attractions. Rooms were superb, especially when you have a corner room on the 30th whatever floor overlooking the ocean as we did. Very clean, nice comfortable beds, bathroom was immaculate. Can't really comment on the price, again, I have some GREAT friends in the business who I was able to mooch off of. In other words, I was paying pennies! I believe the standard rate for a room is around $320, very pricey, at least by my standards. But if Waikiki is where you want to be, I would definately suggest checking out the Marriott!! The pool is great, overlooking the action down below on the boulevard and beach. It does however suffer from a lack of sun later in the afternoon, so if you want some late day sunbathing, might wanna head down to the beach. Our view overlooking Waikiki was incredible. The hotel has 2 towers, and we happened to be in the taller of the 2. The sunsets were breathtaking from our balcony! One of their restaurants, the Moana Terrace, had an excellent menu, although a little on the pricey side. There was a great local band putting on a live music show one evening. Very nice to have a drink, or a meal, and listen to some live Hawaiian music overlooking the beach.

A Beach AND Two Outdoor Pools

by kusiqstutik about Marriott Waikiki Beach

While it's on 'hotel row,' on the beach, we had absolutely no complaints about the accommodations or service. Get a room on the corner, if you can, so you can have two decks--we were in room 705--with chairs and a little snack table on each. There are no buildings in front, which guarantees beautiful sunset views.

A protected/life-guarded beach is right in front. You can rent time under an umbrella if you want cover. Surfing instructor/rental stands are like a two-minute walk from there. My surfing lesson was $35--first hour with an instructor, the second for my own practice. GREAT fun, 'cept that closer to the beach, swimmers and boogie boarders make navigation a bit difficult unless you choose to surf early in the morning. Surfboard rentals, without instruction, ran $8/hour or $10 for two hours.

"Boogie" boards for body surfing are inexpensive to buy (although I hear they can get spendy)--about $20, plus another $18 for fins if you want. Waikiki Beach is better for regular surfing, though, I think.

Hey! Good movies are shown, free, every weekend about a five minute walk down the beach! You sit on the beach, or bring a lawn chair. It's really cool, and I found the sound pretty good. "A Beautiful Mind" was shown on the Sunday before we left. Hit the Haagen Dazs a few blocks away, before you head down there to sit back for the movie.... A one-minute walk to the beach (gotta cross the street)! Two outdoor swimming pools on the third floor, plus an exercise spa (never did get to the latter, though). Parking garage. Great business center. I had trouble with WebTV and an engineer promptly came up for a service call.

Nice restaurant on site (Kuhio Grill) with a good breakfast buffet. (Heard tell that the onion soup at dinner was excellent. I passed that up in favor of the seared ahi salad, which was scrumptious.) Coffee stands and snack bars where convenient, plus a nice bar/eatery on the 3rd floor outdoors--where they had nightly Hawaiian music. (We were treated to a performance by an older gentleman who wrote some traditional Hawaiian songs.)

Oceanfront Room was overrated

by GroovyDoc about Waikiki Beach Marriott

Unless you're a dud (or honeymooning) and going to be sitting in your room all day, save yourself cash by foregoing the oceanfront room. Ours was nice, don't get me wrong, and even overlooked the pool, but we just didn't spend enough time in it to make it worth the money!

A Great Choice in Waikiki

by TripAdvisor Member sullyboy

As a very frequent visitor to Honolulu, I've tried out just about every hotel in the Waikiki area (Kalakau BLVD). Here's my review of the hotels I've stayed with and know, beginning with the Marriott Waikiki:1) Marriott Waikiki: A very good value, at a great location just a 3 minute walk to Waikiki beach. There are two towers that make up the hotel; you should ask for the one nearest the ocean for the best view. I had room 1810 (corner room) in the tower farthest from the ocean, yet I still had a great view from the balcony and picture window. The rack rate was something over $400, but they were running a special for $225/ night. I got the room for $120 on Priceline, and asked to be upgraded upon check-in. I was very nice to the girl, and she upgraded me for free although she didn't have to. Priceline customers generally get run-of-house rooms with no view. The hotel is basically brand new... the rooms are fantastic, even complete with black marble countertops. Bed are very comfy and large (mine was a king bed). Air conditioner was very effective, which is a must in Hawai'i. You must have your balcony door shut for air to come one though. I guess Marriott doesn't want to pay for you to cool off the whole city... :) All in all, a great hotel, great staff, and a 1st class, 4-star facility. I would return as long as I get a rate under $150. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this Marriott in contrast to some of the negative reviews on this website.2) Sheraton Waikiki: A GREAT location directly on the beach, but lousy dated rooms. Our room faced Diamond Head, and while laying on the bed, you could look outside and imagine yourself on a cruiseship....all you saw was blue....no buildings in the way or anything. However great the view was, the room was not worth $200/night. I'd take that $200/night to the Hyatt and get the same great view, with a better room. The pool area is nice, albeit crowded, with nice Hula shows at night. Lobby is grand central station, as it is a main thoroughfare to the beach for guests and non-guests alike. This is a very large hotel. almost Las Vegas casino sized. If you want nothing but a great view and large crowds, this may be your hotel. If you don't want large crowds, first off you probably don't want to come to Honolulu. Secondly, your best bet is the Kahala Mandarin Oriental on the back side of Diamon Head, in the exclusive Kahala neighborhood.3) Hyatt Regency Waikiki:A great ocean view from either tower, provided you opt for ocean view and not city/mountain view. Again, you can lay in bed and see nothing but the blue ocean out your window. Large open air lobby, pretty crowded. Rooms are average to large. Great sushi restaurant in the hotel. Easy to get lost in the lobby, until you get it in your head. All in all a great choice. This hotel embodies the Hyatt name. Truly a cut above the Sheraton Waikiki in terms of quality, yet on par with the new Marriott Waikiki in terms of room-quality. The Hyatt is directly accross the street from the beach though, and has no buildings between it and the sand. The Marriott is accross the street and down the road about 200 feet, so you have 1 or 2 buildings between the hotel and the sand.4) Halekulani: A top-notch 5 star hotel on Waikiki. In fact, the only 5-star on Waikiki beach, contrary to anything else you may hear. Absolutely gorgeous hotel, very exclusive and A++ location on the beach. Everything about the hotel is great, except the prices. Don't expect to find this hotel discounted on Priceline or any other website. Unless you are privy to special industry rates, you're going to pay through the nose for this hotel ($400 for a non-ocean view room). I think this hotel is way overpriced, even though it is very lovely. If you want luxury, stay at the Mandarin-Oriental, which trumps the Halekulani in my opinion. The M-O will can also be had for closer to $200, just depending on when you book and when you plan to travel. Check mandarin-oriental.com for best rates.5) Sheraton Moana Surfrider: Hands down the most romantic hotel in Honolulu. The "first lady of Waikiki" as she is called was built in the early 1900s and is just picture perfect. Check out their website for pictures and info. The only downside is that the rooms do not have balconies in the original hotel. Newer towers have been built next to the original hotel, and they have every modern convenience, including balconies. All rooms have air conditioning. This is my favorite place to relax in Waikiki. I especially love the Banyan courtyard. Stay at this hotel if you love nostaligic things...from wrap around porches with rocking chairs to large white columns. This is grand old Hawaii at its finest. Even if you don't stay here, you've got to experience breakfast on the Veranda.6) Outrigger Waikiki: Although this hotel is right on the beach, the rooms are old and musty, and for $200+ per night, I'd rather go to the Hyatt or Marriott or Moana Surfrider! I'd avoid all things Outrigger and Aston (2 hotel giants in HI). You pay too much and get too little at those chains. Outrigger and Aston have many dumpy hotels to fit most budgets. I'd go so far as to recommend staying at home and saving up $ until you can st least stay at the Marriott. Staying in a nicer hotel can make all the difference in a vacation, trust me!!7) Royal Hawaiian (a Sheraton hotel):The other landmark Waikiki hotel, dating back to the early 1900s. This great pink hotel is centrally located on the sand. Again, if you are into nostalgic things, you'll love this hotel and overlook its "flaws" which come with age. Such flaws may include small rooms, no balconies, etc. The biggest problem you may have is getting your husbands to stay in a pink palace. Ah, but remember this is Hawaii...the place men can wear leis and not be thought to swing the other way. At the very least, you must walk through the lobby and grounds of this hotel to take it all in... it is afterall a piece of history. FYI: All the government officials from D.C. stayed at this hotel immediately following Pearl Harbor in 1941 while conducting the investigation.8) Sheraton Princess Kaiulani:A 3 star hotel accross the street from the beach. Nice enough, but really not your best bet for Waikiki. If considering this hotel, I think you'd be far happier at the Marriott for a similar price. Nice thing about the Sheraton hotels (Sheraton Waikiki, Moana Surfrider, Princess Kaiulani, Royal Hawaiian) is that you have access to all of them (pools, etc) and can sign charges to your room from the restaurants at all 4 hotels.9) W Hotel Honolulu:This hotel is off the beaten path in Honolulu, south of Waikiki Beach, and at the base of Diamond Head. If you want ecclectic and less crowds, you'd enjoy this hotel. A 15-20 minute walk will put you close to Waikiki beach and most downtown shopping, dining, etc. Everything here is a bit abstract, but that is essentially what the W brand represents.10) Kahala Mandarin Oriental:By far my favorite hotel. I stayed in room 711, which had a great (HUGE) balcony and perfect view of the ocean. Kahala is around the bend from Honolulu, but still only a 10-12 minute drive by car or hotel courtesy shuttle bus. Although all Hawaiian beaches are technically public, the hotel enjoys a very secluded 'private' beach. This is truly the 1st choice hotel in Hawaii for VIPs, celebrities, etc. If you have the cash, go for it and enjoy every second. Check their website for seasonal rates.Rooms are oversized, parque wood floors, large marbel baths, comfy beds, Wonderful breakfast buffet @ Plumeria Cafe. Some rooms are on the lagoon, which is home to 2 bottlenose dolphins. I think you can swim with them and a trainer (for a price). The grounds of the hotel are lush and perfectly relaxing. Being at this hotel is what Hawaii is all about to me: tranquil beauty, and proximity to the busy city for when I want/need that aspect.Bottom line: My top choice on O'ahu is the M-Oriental hotel, but if you must be in Waikiki, I'd say go with the Hyatt for modern comfort and a great view, or the Moana Surfrider for nostalgia/on-the-beach-location.Also be sure to try Dukes restaurant on Waikiki for their amazing breakfast buffet. Cheeseburger in Paraside is a must for lunch (try their Island Burger) and the Shorebird on Waikiki is a must for dinner (arrive early for the early bird special) and grill your own fish or steak while watching another perfect sunset in paradise. Your dinner comes with a great all-you-can-eat salad bar. Don't forget to try breakfast on the Veranda at the Moana Surfrider Hotel on Waikiki. Prices = $15-$25, but believe me, you don't want to miss this!!Enjoy your trip, and prepare to get hooked on Hawai'i! Aloha!

Fails at even basic service principles

I was not impressed with this hotel at all. Being in the hotel business myself, I understand that when you're running an operation as large as the Waikiki Marriott, there are going to be problems. Unlike most leisure travelers, I am not high-maintenance. The Waikiki Marriott failed even to meet with my low standards.First of all, I was staying with my sister who had arrived a few days earlier. I had asked her to put my name on the reservation, so I could just get a key and be done with it when I arrived. But when I got there, the non-English speaking and rude front desk clerk would not give me a key. She said that my name wasn't on the room. As my sister and I went downstairs to get it sorted out, we spoke with a desk clerk who had 1/2 of a brain, and she confirmed that my name had been on there all along and that (after showing ID) I should have been given a key.My sister's room service breakfast was "garnished" with open/used jelly containers. There's not a better way to eliminate an appetite than realizing that someone else had already eaten your meal.The furniture was mismatched, the carpet and the sheets smelled funky, and the bathroom was nothing to rave about either. We did have an ocean view (sort-of) which was nice, but we were also kept up all night by our neighbors--seemingly all Japanese juvenile delinquents--because the security was really lax. The fitness center was a joke. Enough said.The rental car office in the hotel is a joke, too. Parking was ample but expensive for Hawaii. C'mon. This isn't New York, here...The pool was ok. The restaurant was edible, but nothing special. Checking out, we discovered they'd double charged us for parking. Explaining this to the desk should have been easy, but it wasn't. The views of Diamond Head and the beach were the only redeeming quality of this place. Other than that, it is an overgrown Motel 6. I can't even imagine what this would be like for someone who needs pampering from their hotel.

Never Again - can't trust Marriott staff

We stayed a this property during the last week of August 2003. First, the picture makes this property look like it is right on the beach, the 1-(800) marriott help desk could not verify for me when I called - Well, IT IS NOT RIGHT ON THE BEACH! The main entrance to this property is on a side street with limited parking and driveway to drop off your luggage during check. The valet parking staff had the driveway jammed wih cars that my wife had to drive around the block while I walked up to get us checked in. Well, the Waikiki Marriot fools lost my reservation (I even had paper work with reserv numbers and), and it still took them another 30-45 mins. to figure out what happened, verification, approval!!???. Finally, I was offered an upgrade to ocean view but I had to pay another $30 per night. I reluctantly agreed- anything just to get me and my family checked in. In the meantime my wife and kids found a parking spot at the back entrance driveway to this hotel, but they were met by an unreasonable security guard who demanded that they had to move even though my wife explained the valet parking situation and that I was at the reservation desk the whole time. Finally with room keys in hand, I met up with my wife as she was driving around the block. The main driveway to the hotel was still blocked with cars, so we were somehow directed straight to the parking garage. There we found that was no bell hop to meet us at the parking garage to help us with our luggage. We had to haul it all ourselves up to te room. The upgraded ocean view room was NOT AN OCEANVIEW from inside the room. You have to step out on the balcony and look slightly to the side. I complained but the front desk insisted that this was their oceanview room! Whew, that was just the first day. During our stay, the only friendly people were the pesky folks trying get you to visit their Marriott Koolina timeshare. The second to the last day, we left our room in the morning to get some breakfast - we were gone less than two hours. We left our digital camera inside a case next to our luggage. Well guess what, the camera & case was gone when we returned.
WE WERE BURGLARIZED. The only person that entered the room was the maid. Hmmm, and the Waikiki Marriott does not feel responsible at all for this. Watchout if you are still seriously considering staying at this property. If you want to royally ruin your Waikiki vacation, this is the place. We lost all of the precious photos we took of the kids during this vacation.

Loved this hotel!

My family just got back from a wonderful vacation in Honolulu, we stayed at the Marriott because of all the reviews we had read on this site. We couldn't have picked a better hotel :) We we're upgraded for free from a city view to a partial ocean view upon check-in just like some of the other comments had mentioned. We could actually see the ocean from one of the beds in the room! There was a crib waiting for us in the room for our baby (just like I had requested when I booked with Expedia). Everyone we encountered was friendly and accommodating. The pool area was crowded, to get a cabana you must go early in the morning. There were so many lounge chairs available that it was never a problem to find seating though. The hotel is in the perfect area. At night all of the beach area here is lit by tiki torches, as is the pier and streets. If you stay at the Marriott, be sure to go next door to the Pacific Beach hotel for lunch at the "Oceanarium restaurant" it was our favorite place to eat! Quite reasonable and what a treat! A 3 story high aquarium with every tropical fish you can imagine swimming by as you eat, even sharks and stingrays! As for Waikiki beach, if you have young children the beach here is the best! The way the breakers are set up our baby (16 months) could just wade in the water, sitting and splashing under our watchful eye. We will stay in this hotel again, can't wait to come back! Aloha!

Looking for a luau

by timothy2

I'm traveling to HI (both Waikiki and Maui) for the first time in November, and as "touristy" as it may sound, I would like to find a hotel that offers a luau (sp?), complete w/ native dancing and the baked pig in the ground. Does either the Hilton Village or the Marriott (Waikiki) offer such? Please advise me of which hotels in Honolulu offer such. Thank you very much. TS

RE: Looking for a luau

by brotherleelove

The Polynesian Cultural Center is where many visitors go for such an event.

RE: Looking for a luau

by Roadquill

Luau's are fun and you should go. We enjoyed the one in Lahaina on Maui on the far E side of Lahaina. I think it was called Lahaina Luau, but it is well known and the place is set up only to do luau's. It was supposedly an authentic i.e. no fire twirling. Kind of hokey, but fun.

Comments