Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort Honolulu

2365 Kalakaua Avenue, (formerly Sheraton Moana Surfrider), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Westin.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• eaglealan's Profile Photo

Bad Staff And Management

Back in February 2010, I called Starwood Hotels to inquire about making a reservation for six nights at their Westin Moana Surfrider Hotel in Honolulu for 6 nights using some of my Starwood points. The hotel website indicated a standard room was was available for points and that upgrades could be obtained for more points. Yet, the website did not allow this upgrade to be purchased online. I was interested in booking a room in the “Towers” building of the property with a balcony, so I called Starwood reservations.

At that time, I was told the Tower rooms were given to Preferred Members “if available” at check in. I then specifically asked the agent if Starwood allowed free updates, i.e., to the Tower rooms, and was told “yes.” I had been looking at websites and readily found a Starwood Preferred Guest who WAS upgraded at his time of arrival at this hotel at no charge. I was impressed, so I made the reservation hoping a room in the Towers might be available when I arrived.

Several days before our departure I rechecked availiability, and again there were Tower room available. Still, I wondered about the “free” part of the Starwood program, I was willing to pay extra points for the upgraded room. So, two days before departure, I again called. This time I paid for the call to the local Moana Surfrider Hotel, an 808 area code. Again I was told the same – free upgrades if the Tower room could be obtained if one was available. Well, I felt more certain and did not want to look foolish at the reservation counter with my wife.

Upon arriving, I spoke to what seemed to be a special reservation agent for "preferred" guests. We stood at this agent's counter for 50 minutes while she did something on her computer, and we stood there waiting and waiting while all others guests in line had been helped and passed by. She continually gave us an indication that she could find an available Tower room. Then at last the moment came, she had a nice room for us. But it would cost $600 (actually $677 - plus tax). Surprise. I explained what I had been told by 3 previous reservation agents, but she insisted that was NOT the policy. Now after standing there for 50 minutes and knowing my wife was anxious about the room, I said okay but firmly said I had been specifically told by Starwood agents that was not the policy of which I had been informed. To make things more embarassing, the agent indicated I had to pay for the room “upfront.” Never had I been asked to pay for a Westin or Starwood Luxury hotel room upfront. Another embarassment. Nonetheless, the agent told me that I must sign and pay for the room right then.

Well, at that time I asked if I could pay for the room using my points. The hotel agent tried to figure out how many points it would be, but she was unable to do the calculation. She only keep saying, “It’s a lot of points, a lot of points.” How many points? “Just a lot of points,” I was again told. But I knew the points from the Starwood internet chart. But she couldn’t tell me – too complicated for her. Finally in frustation, I just signed for the room and paid with my AMEX card. My wife was extremely anxious and went to sit down.

After getting to our room, I called Starwood reservations to verify the company policy. I spoke to two agents (was cut off from the first) and explained what had happened. They both said, “That’s terrible, and it is NOT Starwood’s policy to charge for upgrades if available at the time of checkin. The second agent said she would transfer me to the Starwood Corporate customer service. It was then I spoke with a nice gentleman named “Thomas.” His impression was the same as the other agents. So he had me hold on and he called the hotel. He came back on the line and advise me of what I had been told at checkin. Moreover he said he learned from them this policy was on the hotel website. I asked him to find it for I was sure it was not. He agreed it was not there. He said he would investigate and “make things right.”

Well, the day before checkout, my wife and I looked at the hotel bill on the TV. And lo and behold a $677 credit was on the bill. Nice job I said Thomas. The balance was now a credit of (-) $171. All seemed well. But went we went to check out in the morning things had changed. Suddenly there was NO credit on the bill as the TV had indicated. What was going on I had no idea. Moreover, we got the same rude agent at check out, unfortunately. And we again went through the same thing. No the customer ISN’T always right there, just a snotty attitude. So she said she would go and get the manager to see me. Another 20 minutes passed, waiting at the counter. Finally, another lady came out, and again we went round and round. The manager I guess stayed in his big office and thought only to send his assistant, we were not good enough for him to see personally. Afterall, he was the decision maker. Wow. And we were told he was not going to change his mind about the charge – tough you signed a contract we were told. I of course, I had no idea we were signing a “contract” at the registration. A contract that was a binding and unchangeable “contract.” It was only a registration. Afterall, we were not buying a house.

We have stayed at many Starwood hotels, and they have been excellent, but this hotel thinks more of money than their even their "perferred" guests.

Unique Quality: Similiar to other Honolulu properties, except their staff is rude and uncaring.

• machomikemd's Profile Photo

Classic but Elegant Hotel

The Moana Hotel Westin (the old Sheraton Moana Surfrider) also known as the First Lady of Waikīkī, is a famous historic hotel on the island of Oʻahu, Built in the late 19th century as the first hotel in Hawaiʻi, the Moana opened its doors to guests in 1901, becoming the first large hotel in Waikīkī. The Moana Hotel is regarded as the flagship in Hawaiʻi tourism, and has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located in the heart of Waikiki, within walking distance of major attractions, world-class shopping, dining and entertainment. The Moana's architecture was influenced by European styles popular at the time, with Ionic columns and intricate woodwork and plaster detailing throughout the building. The Moana was designed with a grand porte cochere on the street side and wide verandas on the ocean side. Some of the 75 guest rooms had telephones and bathrooms (unusual at the time), and the hotel featured a billiard room, saloon, main parlor, reception area, and library. Peacock installed the first electric-powered elevator in the islands at the Moana, which is still in use today.

Walking tours and the Historical Room detail the hotel's storied past. The hotel features a private beach, and surfing lessons, snorkeling, scuba diving, and parasailing can all be arranged. The outdoor pool is situated next to the beach, and towels and lounge chairs are provided. Afternoon tea, sandwiches, and finger foods are served daily on the Banyan Veranda, a tradition continued since the hotel's early days. Enjoying afternoon high tea on the veranda beneath the huge banyan tree in the courtyard, you feel like Waikiki visitor Robert Louis Stevenson imagining his tales.

Unique Quality: Only one other hotel in Waikiki can compete with The Royal Hawaiian and the Halekulani Hotel for style, grace and authentic Hawaii history, and that's the Moana Surfrider. Its porte-cochère welcomes guests in grand style, and its historic Banyan Veranda overlooking the beach cradles them with Hawaiian music and sunsets—fittingly, as this was the home to the classic radio program Hawaii Calls, which beamed Hawaiian music to the world starting in the 1930s.

Present-day amenities include non-smoking rooms, signature Heavenly Beds and Heavenly Baths, as well as flat screen televisions. The 386 guest rooms and 44 suites in the tower focus on Hawaiian décor, emphasizing texture and soothing tones of beige, ecru and brown. In the center of the Moana Surfrider's courtyard stands a majestic Banyan tree. When planted, the tree was nearly seven feet tall and about seven years old. It now stands 75 feet high and spans 150 across the courtyard. The Moana offers three restaurants and lounges along with a Snack Bar and Banyan Grill for limited menu items, 24 hour Room Service, and exceptional function space totaling over 15,000 square feet.

Directions: 2365 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96815

• seansf's Profile Photo

Historic oceanfront hotel

Main building of Moana hotel has elegant, Hawaii style furnishings. Pineapple juice and lei greeting upon arrival. Very helpful, friendly staff. Rooms are very large and beautifully appointed. Surfrider tower is a modern hotel part of property- very nice but not as interesting as Moana wing. Great afternoon tea on the veranda.

Unique Quality: Oceanfront - large, elegant rooms.

Directions: Waikiki

More about Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort Honolulu

Sheraon Moana Surfrider on...

by Marysunshine

Sheraon Moana Surfrider on Kalakaua Avenue
Rack rates are $260 but if you sign up as a Starwood Preferred Guest it comes down to thei 35% off in Hawaii and costs $172. Also they give you 35% off all meals charged back to your room, eaten at ANY Sheraton
Hotel. It's a great deal. Quaint atmosphere, wrap around porch, high tea, just beautiful.

Hawaiian Hotel with History

by MatthewMetcalfe about Sheraton Moana Surfrider

We stayed at the Moana Surfrider for several days on our trip to the Hawaiian Islands. Of all the hotels we stayed in, I thought this one had the most character. The Old hotel was built in 1901 and they've done additions throughout the years. The old section is in great condition and offers a glimpse into what Hawaii was like at the turn of the century. The Hotel sits right on Waikiki beach and offers a great view of Diamondhead. It's also close to some excellent shopping and Duke's Canoe Club. The hotel also has a nice area to dine/drink under the shade of a very large Banyan tree.

Sheraton Moana Surfrider...

by FreeCloud

Sheraton Moana Surfrider Hotel (click the link for photos in travelogue, details later)

The First Lady of Waikiki, the grand hotel debuted in 1906.
See their website for details. One can get a discount rate by 1) using online booking service; or 2) becoming a Starwood member. Right in front of the ocean. The courtyard covered by ONE big banyan tree is a place to hang around days and nights.

See travelogue for details.

Downtown and on the Beach

by VeronicaG about Moana Surfrider

This stately hotel is the oldest in Waikiki and still very appealing! The Moana Surfrider is located along Kalakaua Avenue, where souvenir stands blend with COACH handbags. It sits along the shore of the Pacific Ocean and is located in the middle of Waikiki's prime shopping area, which is loaded with restaurants.

There's been a great deal of preservation, while tweaking it with modern conveniences. We loved the hotel's courtyard--a relaxing area sheltered by huge trees and directly in line with ocean breezes. A long veranda contains another seating area.

My husband and I enjoyed a glass of white wine by candlelight and listened to the sound of the crashing waves. There are a few shops within the hotel complex and lovely winding halls with intimate seating areas.

Moana SurfriderMoana Surfrider

Moana Surfrider Street SideMoana Surfrider Street Side

The Moana Surfrider HotelThe Moana Surfrider Hotel

Westin Moana SurfriderWestin Moana Surfrider

Sheraton Moana Surfrider

by KathrynS

Has anyone stayed here over Spring Break? I am concerned that it will be packed on the beach, but a freind said it was locatied down a ways from the action. I can't remember, and can't get a straight answer from the hotel. ANy help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Kathy

Re: Sheraton Moana Surfrider

by travelgourmet

You must realize that all of Waikiki is busy during springbreak ,winterbreak, and summer. The Moana is a beautiful old hotel that has been given new life without the lost of the ambience that made her famous. The beach itself is not that large in front of the hotel and all the action really takes place in front of Fort DeRussy on the beach, between the Outrigger Reef at the Beach and the Hilton Hawaiian Village. So, that is about 1/2 mile away from the front of the Moana Surfrider. BTW, the Moana has one of the best outside bars, near the beach and you can visit on a cam site for the Sheraton hotels. http://hawaiilive.sheratonhawaii.com/ms-cam.cfm
Aloha oe

Re: Re: Sheraton Moana Surfrider

by YVRDave

It is also next to the Poice Station at the beach so rowdies tend to avoid the area

Comments