New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

Costs 35% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel

Diamond Head

by Carnation

Kapiolani Park If you walk along Kalakaua Avenue towards Kapahulu Avenue, heading for Diamond Head, you will come across the beautiful Kapiolani Park where you will find the Waikiki Aquarium to your right, near the beach. Here you will find tennis courts, exercise areas, rugby / soccer / softball fields, and picnic tables for your convenience. Carry on along Kalakaua Avenue past Michel's at the Colony Surf Hotel and New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel until you reach the junction of Diamond Head Road. At the top of Diamond Head Road you'll see a wonderful panoramic view of the ocean. If your lucky, you might be able to spot surfers battling the waves, especially the bright colours of windsurfers racing across the ocean.

Great bargain out of the Waikiki bustle

by TripAdvisor Member ElyseEA

I recently stayed at the The New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel for a small meeting and left feeling I'd discovered a bargain gem in Waikiki. Small, quiet, right on the beach (not across the street from the beach or one block from the beach) and with an above average restaurant and attentive staff. I highly recommend it.

The New Otani is located outside the busy main drag of Waikiki, separated from the last strip hotels (like Aston Waikiki) by acres of park land where the zoo, aquarium, and old natitorium are located. The street swings out from the ocean in that area, giving the beach a little more depth than along some more public areas of Waikiki. The beach is protected by some reef making it very swimmable and providing some snorkling interest out from the shore. The walk along the ocean front to the main Waikiki area is about 10 minutes and very pleasant, but when you go back home, it is quiet enough to hear the waves.

There is an open air lobby with a bar, a very nice restaurant right on the beach, and a Japanese restaurant one level up. The rooms and exterior are dated in decor (though public areas have been spruced up) but comfortable and clean. Bathrooms are small. Some rooms are small, but I had a deluxe ocean front room that opened right to the ocean on one wall and straight up to the lights of Waikiki on another. The wrap around balcony was spacious. I highly recommend the rooms ending in 17 (317, 417, etc.) for the best views.

If you don't want the mob scene and are looking for a good bargain, check this one out.

Great oceanfront find!

We had the opportunity to stay a real find near Waikiki, the New Otani Kaimana hotel. The hotel is small, but very clean with a friendly and responsive staff. It faces Sans Souci beach at the base of Diamond Head, offering a smaller sandy beach than Waikiki, but not as busy. The restaurant over-looking the beach offers scrumptious dinners. Although our room was relatively small, I'd recommend this hotel for the budget minded traveller who wants clean accomodations and great service without the high price tags of the neighboring skyrise Waikiki hotels. It's a real find!

Older nice hotel but too remote

Visited the Kaimana Beach Hotel for two nights at the end of our trip in Hawaii. The valet service ($12) was very prompt and reasonable, the beach was beautiful and the front desk upgraded us to an ocean view jr.suite when the jr. suite we booked facing diamond head was not available. The open air lanai restaurant was very nice.
The hotel is in definate need of modernizing and the furniture, lighting, carpeting, etc.. is outdated, but it was clean, quiet and had great maid service/turn down service at dusk that was nice.
The only thing that I didn't like a lot was how far we were from Waikiki. It is a pretty long walk for the average person (it is located past the aquarium) and I didn't feel comfortable going for a nightcap stroll down to the heart of Waikiki dreading the walk back. The hotel bar closes around 10:30 pm and there is nothing left to do at that end Waikiki if you want any night life whatsover.
If you like the remoteness, have a rental car and aren't upset about your bedroom furniture age, the hotel could work for you. I just prefer to be closer to the action and touristy stuff.

Tiny, Tiny rooms

This is definitely a “bargain travelers” hotel! This hotel is about as far off the beaten path as you can get. Bring your walking shoes or a car. The description that the hotel gives is “…only two blocks from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki.” Not sure how they measure a block. It is quite a long walk. I kind of enjoyed not being in heart of town. Surrounded by parks, zoo and aquarium. I enjoyed my long daily walks to get meals. It is strange to be in a beach front hotel with no access to the beach. You have to walk out the front of the hotel and around the side to get to the beach. Staff was very nice. My main complaints are that the rooms are crazy small and the doors have a commercial closing mechanism that causes the doors to slam hard every time you enter or leave your room. If you are asleep and someone down the hall leaves, you WILL be woken up. Also not to fond of the nickel and dime charges. $11 a day for internet access (talk about sticking it to you), $12 a day for parking (valet only), $2 a day to use the in room safe (free at most hotels because 98% of all in room theft is committed by hotel staff. Seems strange to charge me to protect me against their own staff). I guess this is kind of normal for this area. If you just need an old hotel to take a shower at and don’t plan on spending much time there (or ironing cloths for that matter, no ironing board), this may be for you.

#1 Premium Oahu!

I visited this hotel in mid March of '05. I didn't get to dine at either of the hotel's over-priced restaurants, I didn't even get to have a drink at their bar on account of the fact that they close super early, but the bartender was nice enough to direct me to the W next door, which was probably even more over-priced than their own bar. I did enjoy being kind of far away from all the noise of Waikiki, but still within easy walking distance. I recommend taking something heavy with you to the room at night (ie. a two liter of soda, nice and heavy so you can club any attackers over the head). It is some amount of comfort, however that it is one of the safest cities in the union. The rooms of the hotel are very small, but they cram everything you need right in there, even a flat screen television. The staff was very friendly, they even supply umbrellas for rainy days. I found the water pressure to be fine comparred to other travellers reviews. My only complaint is the fact that our room was plagued by tiny insects that we never got around to complaining about, I'm sure they would've taken care of it promptly though. All in all though, I think I'd stay here again in the future, as long as the price is right.

You might want to look at other spots

Before booking this hotel I recommend you look at all your options.

These are the Pros:
1. You are on a somewhat private beach, on the weekends the beach is crowded.
2. There is a quiet park where you can relax.
3. Excellent customer service.
4. Excellent views of the beach and Diamond Head

The Cons:
1. The room is really small
2. There was not an air vent in the bathroom
3. You have to pay for your safety box ($3 a day)
4. The furniture is extremely outdated
5. It gets very cold with the AC on at night, no matter what temperature you have it on.
6. Over priced resturants in the hotel.
7. A long walk to the main strip (you will have to go to the main strip for a cheaper meal everytime you want to eat. This is atleast a 15 minute walk.
8. Too many rocks in the ocean on this somewhat private beach.
9. If you book excursions, they don't always pick you up at the this specific hotel.
10. If you want to party at night, then book a place on the main strip, this place is too long of a walk if you're leaving a club or bar at 1 or 2 in the morning.

Excursions: (Book all excursions when you get there, it is alot CHEAPER to book there)
1. Paradise Cove Luau - This was a great luau, very fun and entertaining
2. Star of Honolulu Dinner Cruise - Waste of money, bad entertainment, and the food was not great.
3. Pali Makani Helicopter Ride - It is not worth $120 a person for 30 minutes.
4. You can book a flight to the other island with a car for $180 a person.
5. Diamond Head - This is great exercise, it takes 45 minutes to climb the mountain.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member eramp76

We stayed at the New Otani May 29 thur May 31 2005 after a wonderful cruise on the Pride of Aloha. This hotel is away from the hustle & bustle of Waikik, but close enough to get to everything. It was Memorial Day weekend & the park next door was full, but our room was very quiet. No problems at all. The Hau Tree Restaurant was super. We would stay here again. Check it out.

Great Location For Me

I was in Honolulu for business and stayed here since it's where my boss usually stays. I was impressed with the friendliness of the valet staff, the front desk, and also at any time I needed help from any member of the team. My room was very large, (301) but the view was of the parking lot. This was a one bedroom suite and had separate living/sleeping area, microwave, sink, large refrigerator, and a very large lanai. It was a short walk from my room to a safe, calm beach and just moments from Waikiki nightlife. I would definitely return.

Getting to know you...

Having stayed and enjoyed my experiences at this hotel in the past I was interested in seeing what changes if any had ocurred during the past couple of years. I had booked a Garden View w/kitchenette for fourteen nights. Upon driving up to the hotel I became concerned at the onset when I gazed at the Valet Parking desk. It was badly in need of immediate replacement. Entering the lobby I gazed at the ceiling and was attracted by the many water stained tiles. The Room Clerk (Male) that checked me in was extremely surley and most sarcastic. My other dealings at the front desk during my stay with other personell were uneventful and for the most part pleasent.

The room, though clean looked very much in need of a complete replacement, from furniture to the wallpaper to the flooring. The room looked as though it was never touched once since the hotel opened. I guess you could call it tacky. Since we only slept there, it was okay. The A/C was positioned almost over the bed, high on the wall. It was noisey and could never be controlled properly to keep the cold breeze from hitting you in the face. The bed was not all that comfortable and the mattress should have been replaced long ago. The rooms are small and takes a bit of getting used to. The Television set is placed at an angle to the bed which makes it most agrivating to watch unless one is sitting on the bed facing the set. The chambermaids were wonderful and very accommodating. Their efforts in keeping the room clean left nothing to be desired.

Most of the hotel personel that we came in contact with were very pleasent and tried their best to be friendly and helpful. We did not eat any meals in the hotel except for a daily breakfast that was included with the price of the room. Breakfast at the New Otani, is not to be missed. The food was well prepared and served by excellent waiters.

Of course the location of the hotel in Kapiolani Park is it's biggest attribute. It's far enough away from the noise and tumult of Waikiki which is only a fifteen minute walk away.

In summing up it was very obvious to me and some of the people I confered with that the hotel is in dire need of a renovation. Would I stay here again? Yes, if management makes the necessary changes that in my opinion are needed, The New Otani would then be a three or four star hotel. Right now the best I can give it would be a one and a half or two stars at the very most.

Info The new Otani Kaimana Beach hotel

by rohnny

Hi all
Did somenone have some info about this hotel,
The new Otani Kaimana Beach hotel in waikiki.
thx and best regards
Rohnny

Re: Info The new Otani Kaimana Beach hotel

by travelgourmet

Aloha, It is located on the Diamond Head side of Waikiki, but on the beach. The heart of Waikiki is about 1 mile away, but the Park and Aquarium and even the zoo is close by. The other drawback for me is that when you are on the patio having lunch, all you see is the ocean, Diamond Head is behind you, blocked by the Hotel. From the hotels at the beach at Waikiki, like the Halekulani, Outrigger Reef, Royal Hawaiian, or the Sheraton Waikiki, the sweep of sand and Diamond Head are your view. Aloha oe.

1) Lodging outside of City 2) Yoga

by miruca

Tough choice between Wakiki area and North Shore for 7 days in December. Everytime I see a picture of the "city" I feel stressed and I'm not even there. Haleiwa seems more my speed... but I'm not finding much choice on lodging in other areas of Oahu. Any suggestions would be helpful. I definitely want to be on the beach.

I looked at Turtle Bay but it is quite expensive and has quite mixed reviews. I saw a Santa's B&B - that is on the beach but pictures definitely felt like it was in someone's basement.

I'm also interested in going to yoga classes while there. IF I stay in the Wakiki area it will most likely be the Hilton Hawaiian Village because it is on a beach and has swimmable pools, and appears to have some surrounding grounds that doesn't feel like a city. Any suggestions on yoga close to there?

Re: 1) Lodging outside of City 2) Yoga

by RogerOma

The Kulima Estate ( not sure of spelling ) condos are by Turtle Bay you can check on vrbo they are not on the beach but a short walk and not in Honolulu. In Waikiki check on the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel it is on the other end of Waikiki. There are also condos in Punaluu and many B&B's and rentals in Kailua plus a few in Haleiwa not sure how close to the beach they are.
If you do decide on Waikiki you maybe surprised at how quickly you can adapt to island time.

Re: 1) Lodging outside of City 2) Yoga

by mudbug_me

why do you have to choose between the two??... whenever we go, we split our time between Haleiwa and Waikiki. we love both areas for different reasons so we usually stay a few days in one place, then pack up and go on to the other for the remainder of our visit. we always go throug VRBO for lodgings in Haleiwa. think about it; have a great trip!

Public transportation

by beaniezotzim

Planning a short trip to Oahu on a tight budget. I was wondering if anyone has used the public buses in oahu and If so was is very confusing?

going to stay in Waikiki, but would like to go snorkeling at San Souci or Hanauma Bay. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

by travelgourmet

No problem if you go to San Souci Beach (Dig Me Beach), just past the Natatorium and before the Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel is walkable from Waikiki. Snorkeling here is a just little ways out to the reef. Hanauma Bay is a bus must and they do charge a fee. Aloha

by Redlats

We used The Bus to get to Hanauma Bay. I have a pointer for you.

Get there early in the morning, and leave before everyone else does because there are more people than bus at closing time. (We had to wait for one bus worth and they only come every 1/2 hour and we had to fight like barracudas to find standing room on that bus).

That is what it was like 2-3 years ago. Perhaps things have changed since.

There are a lot of pages on Hanauma Bay on VT. In the top left corner, check off the 'Keywords' circle and search for 'Hanauma Bay' and you will find them.

by beaniezotzim

thank you everybody so much for your help..... very much appreciated! I look forward to taking the bus around oahu and will keep in mind the "crowded" bus tips to Hanauma Bay.

by sunnysarah

transportaion is easy and cheap. For $2 dollars you can go anywhere on the island, and you have three hours on your transfer.
If you have done any snorkeling before, you will probably be dissapointed with Hunama Bay...the water is cloudy b/c of all the sunscreen and the fish aren't great. I would not reccommend it. I was just up in Shark's Cove at the top of the island, and I thought it was better there. You can rent snorkel gear across the street from John at Sharks Cove Rentals. It is about 1 1/2 hours on the bus from Waikiki,

by beaniezotzim

Thank you sunny for the info on sharks cove, sounds like a good idea!

by erabler

There is one drawback with TheBus, though. They don't allow big luggage so you cant't use it from/to the airport when arriving at or leaving Oahu.

by beaniezotzim

We are only there for a short time and are bringing SMALL bags small backpacks. it shouldn't be a problem.

Comments