OHANA Waikiki Malia

Ohana Waikiki Malia
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 67% more than similarly rated 2.5 star hotels

More about OHANA Waikiki Malia

Ok for one night.... but barely

My husband and I stayed at the Ohana Waikiki Malia for one night because we arrived in to Honolulu too late to catch an interisland flight to the Big Island. I knew it would be pretty low-end but figured for one night it wouldn't be that bad. It was pretty bad. The hotel has a bizaare institution feel to it from the lobby to the elevators to the halls. The room was dirty, the curtains were stained from smoke (even though it was a non smoking room), the entire room had a sickly sweet smoke smell to it, and the ceiling was stained. The carpet was thin and stained and not something you wanted to walk on in our bare feet. The bed sheets were stained. The air conditioner sounded like a jet engine taking off making it impossible to keep on while trying to sleep. The noise from the street was terrible, and the other guests in the hotel seemed to all get home at 3am and need to run up and down the halls and slam doors to announce that. The only reason I gave this hotel two stars instead of one was because of the suprisingly clean and renovated bathroom, I almost wanted to sleep in there. As far as budget hotels in Waikiki go, there has GOT to be better options than the Ohana Waikiki Malia. Spend the extra $30 per night and stay at the Ohana East, they don't even compare for cleanliness.

Great Value Hotel in central location

We stayed at the Ohana Waikiki Malia from the 24th of December through to the 31st of December. After reading several of the reviews about this hotel I was very skeptical about this property. What makes things worse is that I work in the Travel Industry as a marketing co-ordinator I know that flashy pictures and fancy words can fool many. However we were pleasently surprised about how well this hotel measured up. When we checked in we requested to upgrade to the one bedroom suite, and was advised that it would only cost an additional US25 per night plus tax. This was very reasonable and decided to upgrade. We were placed on the 9th floor (top floor), with a nice view of the city. The layout of the suite consists of a lounge room with two single beds made up as day beds and then the main bedroom, it also has a small kitchenette to prepare meals. The large balcony makes is perfect to sit there and enjoy the city and the mountains in the background. The decor was very nice and these rooms had just been recently renovated.

The hotel has two wings the Luana Wing Tower where all the suites are located and the Malia Tower wing where all the standard and city view rooms are located.

The hotel has a cafe located off the lobby and has buffet breakfast from US7.50 per person.

Overall this hotel has exceed all of our expectations and we will be staying here again. As someone who works in the industry I feel the standard is quite good, it's not the Ritz but for the price you pay it's well worth it.

Clean Decent Accommodation

Stayed at the Ohana Malia from 17-23 March 2006. We booked through our Travel Agent in Australia and were promised approx 3 star accommodation. And i would agree that this is what we received. I went with my Aunt and we had twin double beds. We stayed on the 17th floor. The room was clean and tidy, with Air Conditioning and TV. All worked well. The bath tub was good but the shower water pressure was very weak. They came in and made up the beds every day and put in clean towels which was good. There was a bar fridge but no kettle for hot water. They only had some kind of coffee maker (but you are charged for the coffee). The staff were friendly and helpful. They have an information desk for maps, day trips etc, and they can do bookings for you. We went to the Society of Seven dinner show which was quite good value (very energetic and entertaining), but probably more suited for people over 50-60 years of age. We were able to book the return airport bus ($9 US) from our hotel conceirge which was handy.
Overall i was pleased with the cleanliness of the hotel, it's not absolutely flash but it would be very suitable for clean family accommodation.

The allround Malia

My wife and i stayed at the Malia for 7 nights at the start of november 05, with not one problem to be had.
Stayed on the 17th floor and the only noise was the cop cars sirens at night but not that often, (once every three nights). I asked other tourists from other hotels and they said the same thing. Hotel had everything but a pool, great little cafe for breakfast and dinner, a tourist counter was a great help with our sight-seeing, and a really good concierge service. Would really recommend to a couple with only shopping in mind or a family on a budget, because you can use the pools from the other Ohana hotels which is what we did and it was great to talk to other tourists outside your hotel. Location is excellent, with everything close, and public transport stop at the door. Summing it up Good value for money for everything you need.

Not bad if you get a good rate

by TripAdvisor Member flyingmonkey

I stayed here for 4 nights in a room on the 14th floor. The room was fairly large and the bathroom was nice enough, and it was all very clean and felt safe. The walls are kind of thin though - when I was lying on my bed I could hear the people next door in the bathroom.
They're doing major renovations on the hotel/condos across the road, and my room had a "view" of the construction site/workers so i had to keep my curtains closed most of the time - only a problem for even-numbered rooms, other side of the hotel would be fine. The "lanai" is teeny-tiny (can just barely fit one chair on it and really not even suitable for drying washing).

I don't care that there's no swimming pool (it's Waikiki, i'd rather go to the beach!). However, that also means there's no place where you can have a shower or get changed if you have a late flight (I had a 10-hour flight leaving around midnight, and felt really crusty cos i couldn't have a shower after spending the day snorkelling - just had a cold-water rinse at the beach). there were some people from the UK complaining about the same thing so it's not just me. Apparently if it's not fully booked they can open up a regular room for people to shower etc, but the day i was leaving the hotel was full (so no late checkouts either). This would put me off staying there again - all the other hotels i've stayed at in Waikiki have had a "hospitality room" or a gym for people to shower/get changed in before a late departure.

Great hotel for low budget!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Sonianna

I stayed 10 nights at this hotel (Dec. 12-23rd) 2005. The staff was really nice and helpful, we got a smoking room at first and asked to change, and it was no problem. They even moved the luggage for us. It is clean and well maintained hotel. The location is great. You are 2 blocks from Waikiki Beach and the market. The city bus passes just in front of the hotel where you are 10 mins away from the main shopping centre.

This hotel is perfect for low budget traveler like me, being a student; you want quality at a reasonable price. The hotel restaurant on the other hand is kind a dirty, the ceiling was leaking in the middle of the dining room... Not sure its all that clean! And the food wasn’t the best. Anyway, there are tons of great restaurant around the hotel. This little bar/restaurant called Tsunami does great breakfast for only 2.99$! And the servers are really nice.

Overall, I highly recommend this hotel.

Nice staff, clean rooms, things you need nothing you don't.

by TripAdvisor Member Capricious26

Clean rooms, excellent location (main reason why I keep staying there) and great price for Honolulu.
Stayed at the Malia for a second time Feb 4-10 2006. Nice location and good rooms for a bsic hotel. The Malia has all the basic needs and was perfect for what I wanted. I've been to Oahu 6 times now and have stayed here 2 of my last 3 visits (Ohana Tower last time. Torn down now. Lewers st. construction).
The Malia doesn't have a pool or barbeques or many of the other extras that I never seem to use anyway. Just a nice basic hotel with clean rooms, nice bathrooms and a great location. Located on Kuhio (one of the 2 main roads parrallel to the beach) and lewers st. A block or 2 to the International Market Place and Duke's lane on Kuhio. 3 long blocks to the beach. Buses are accross the street and so is the free trolley to Hilo Hattie (nice ride but don't spend much there). If you really want to use a pool, you can stroll about a block and a half to the Ohana Islander and use there's. I never bother. They give you free beach towels at the counter so don't bother packing any. Just ask on your way to the beach and return them after. Nice clean beach towels every day. Very handy. Coin laundry on the 5th floor. Also very handy. Lookout on the roof with a tennis court.
If you want a nice clean room at a great location I would recommend the Ohana Wakiki Malia.
Side note - The Outrigger Catamaran is great. Been on it a few times. If you get Big Kahuna dollars (on check in), it is a great way to spend them. The Ali Kaii dinner cruise is also great but buy it at Affordable Tours on Seaside st (one street over). They are $22 cheaper, per person, than the tour desk at the Malia. Great dinner cruise. The Zoo is great too. Breakfast at the Shore Bird is nice too.
Been to Honolulu a fair bit and can answer some questions if you e-mail me - Sittingduck26@hotm ail.com .

Good Value Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member sylbro

My husband and I stayed here 7 nights. This was our 2nd trip to Oahu and we just wanted a clean comfortable hotel. When we arrived to the hotel I was pleased with the location. We were close to restaurants, the beach and The International Market place. Our room was clean and service was good. Breakfest in the hotel restaurant was good, but dinner was not good at all.

Our room had two double beds with a small lani The lighting near the closet was not very good. The hotel/condos accross from my room were under construction, so when I wanted to change clothes I had to close the drapes or go in the bathroom to change. However the bathroom did have a full size bathtub, with good water pressure, and plenty of hot water. Bathroom was very clean.

We were glad the bus stop was very close to the hotel, that was convenient for us.

Regarding tours: we booked 2 tours with the hotel tour desk, both tours were really good and the lady was very nice.

We had a pleasant stay at this hotel and would stay here again, it is clean and is in a good location, not a beautiful hotel but comfortable and is a good value hotel. We learned from our first trip to Oahu that we did not really spend alot of time in our room except to sleep and shower.

You get what you pay for.

by TripAdvisor Member cali-trekker

We were traveling on a budget. Our initial reservations were for the Ohana Waikiki Surf, which is right across the street, but we got moved to the Malia.

The location is very good, and the staff is very friendly. I found all the people I encountered in Oahu to be extremely friendly.

Now to the complaints. We didn't have hot water two of the 4 mornings we were there. The parking structure is steep and narrow ($15/day). Rooms were small, and our keys kept failing. We had to go to the front desk to re-activate them on more than one occasion.

Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member highloyo

Nice rooms in a covenient Waikiki location. Paid $89 for each of 2 nights through their website. The room was not musty like many Waikiki hotels. The room was nice and clean and included a small balcony. We had a comfortable king-sized bed. The bathroom was standard for a budget priced hotel. A free newspaper was provided in the morning. There wasn't really any restaurant except for breakfast which we never tried. Extra charges for parking ($15), room safe ($3) and coffee. Please be warned that the parking garage had the steepest and narrowest ramps I have ever seen. All in all, a good value in the heart of Waikiki.

Bus on the street behind the hotelBus on the street behind the hotel

Aloha tower from the shipAloha tower from the ship

LadybugLadybug

Mary and Andrew at TropicsMary and Andrew at Tropics

Diamond Head

by irislopeziol

Aloha, I would like to take my 80 year old not in such good shape mother on a hike up diamond head but we don't have a car. How could we get there by bus? Is it an easy hike? Where do we take bus back to Ala Moana beach park area? mahalo, Iris

by travelgourmet

PUPULE, if you want yo mama to give you stink eye, try to take her. Pupule means crazy, and for an 80 year old, not good shape, to try and climb up Diamond Head is pupule. The stairs in real life will be "the stairway to heaven" with the final leg to the top, up 99 stairs. Try the Punch Bowl lookout at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu. The view from the Punch Bowl is magnificent with Waikiki, Diamond Head and beyond to the left, Honolulu below and over to Pearl Harbor to the right. The best part is no climbing up stairs. Without a car, try a taxi, not sure of bus. Maybe another VTer who takes buses in Honolulu will know about bus routes. Aloha.

by Odinnthor

Yup, yo is a pupule, an mama give yo stink eye fer sure, if try dat. Heh heh, not much to contribute here, - just love to hear Larry talk pidgin....Shaka bra'!!....d:o)

by travelgourmet

Ho brah, Howzit? dats da'kine if he take mama on climb, he be one lolo buggah. hana hou, brah. Aloha.

by Roadquill

and I thought I had too much wine this evening... Even from the parking lot it is a climb for the average Joe. Plus it can be hot and humid. We saw many a bermuda shorted, sandal clad, perspiration inspired hikers wondering why they climbed up the damn thing. Considering all the incredible views on Oahu, the view from DH is not the same as the view of DH. Karl

by Odinnthor

Hey, howzit howzit? Like beer like beer? Come inzide come inzide! Like son' pakalolo, like son' pakalolo? Istda'kine, isda'kine brah! Shakah Brah!

by travelgourmet

Whoa,I'm seeing double. Only the wino and I know.
Too much? Naw, Jus ca..ca...coucnt the baa..tolls to see whee..en to sstopp. Hic. \_/

Comments