150 Kaiulani Ave, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Ohana East

by TripAdvisor Member monica-TA

I stayed at the Ohana East for the first time at the end of November - early December. I found the room really comfortable and we had a corner room on the eighth floor with views over the mountains from the shuttered side window and views up Kuhio Ave to Diamond Head and out to sea over the Hyatt roof from the balcony.
The kitchenette room provided a small microwave - and all utensils. With Food Pantry across the road this saved on eating out expenses.
Unfortunately the pool was being repaired while I was there but we had use of the Ohana West pool which is always nice.
The front desk staff were friendly to us and the porters were really helpful.
Some of the floors were being renovated while we where there but you could hardly hear the noise.
The hotel is safe, close to everything in Waikiki and a great price.
I would recommend it to all who want to save money to spend out shopping yet want a comfortable, clean hotel

Just got back from Ohana East

Last night we arrived home from Maui. Last week (Thanksgiving) we spent the week in Honolulu staying at the Ohana East hotel.

You get what you pay for. For a family of 5 I was very pleased with our accomadations. It's not the Hilton or Sheraton. We had a suite on the Penthouse level. It has just been remodeled with new paint carpet etc...

I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again.

Clean, hospitable, close to waikiki.....

(Also, a plus..? there are at least 2 ABC stores across the street)

Great Value and Service

This hotel exceeded my expectations. The room was excellent for the price and the staff were always professional and helpful. I stayed 2 weeks at the Ohana East and would definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

I had a lovely view of the mountains, Waikiki Beach, and the beautiful pool below me with the giant hibiscus painted on the bottom of the pool.

Conveniently located to the beach, restaurants, and stores.

Just fine for the price

by TripAdvisor Member AuntieRene

I read many comments regarding the Ohana East and must admit I was a little hesitant to book there. We arrived late at night. We were booked on the 3rd floor but the clerk at the desk suggested we take a room on the 11th floor as they have been renovated.

Yes the bathroom was small, yes the balcony was small, yes the sound proofing wasn't the best......but the location was great, the room was nicely decorated, the price was right (we booked through Expedia) and I would definately stay there again. The wait for the elevators was not an issue at all. And most importantly to me, is the hotel was very clean!

Yes there were hookers just down the street but there seemed to be hookers down many streets. They don't bother you and after our first day we didn't really notice them.

We stayed in Waikiki for 3 nights then went to Kauai. Were very sad to leave. Hopefully will do the same trip soon.

very happy

by TripAdvisor Member StephLP

We just got back from our trip this morning and were very happy with the Ohana East. It was a last minute trip to meet some friends and were really looking for a good price, close to the beach and our friend's hotel. Our rate was $88.00 per night through a web site and I was a little worried. When we got there we were pleasantly surprised. Our room had just been remodeled and was like new! The only disappointment was the fact that when I booked the room, the pool was closed for renovation and was supposed to be done by the time we were there and it wasn't. They told us we could use the pool around the corner at Ohana West. I would highly recommend this hotel! Oh, I did forget to mention the street walkers. I had read about them in other reviews and yes they are right there in front of the hotel and in front of the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. A little awkward when your child is asking about them.

Great price, comfortable and great location

by TripAdvisor Member Reen12

We just returned today - Christmas Eve from Hawaii - one of the most hectic times of the year. After reading lots of reviews about this hotel and others we were very nervous about picking a place to stay. But I was surprised and happy about our choice.

I'll cover my review in the following sub headings:

ROOMS
The rooms were well appointed, clean and comfortable. A small balcony, TV, fridge, a safe with a reasonable sized clean bathroom. Soap/shampoo etc supplied. The walls seemed to be quite thin too, and you can hear some noise from the next room, so keep this in mind..... If you have a late flight you can arrange late checkout or use a hospitality room for 1 hour to have a shower and freshen up. Overall, I felt clean, safe and comfortable.

FACILITIES
Internet kiosk, lovely pool and spa, restaurant, shop etc. Good facilities. Met all of our needs. Also a tour desk available with very helpful staff.

SERVICE
This area did let the hotel down. We found front desk staff to be quite rude, so we just avoided them. Just watch your phone bill. We got charged for calling the tour desk and at 99c a call it was pricey. They took it off the bill only after we pointed it out.

LOCATION
Great location, a few minutes walk to the beach, cheap eating (KFC, Subway, Burger King, Pizza shops etc in a lovely little arcade across the road), convenience store across the road, as well as bus and trolley stops right outside. Close to all things. Nice atmosphere in this location.

OTHER COMMENTS
Great hotel. We were happy with our stay. Clean, neat, comfortable, safe, great location - value for money. We were happy - I would recommend and go back again. Ohana means family - so the Ohana East and other Ohanas are aimed more at families than other hotels. However, I hardly saw any kids.

GENERAL NOTES
After reading many reviews, I was worried about a few areas. I can now see that some people have very high standards.
Yes - there are working girls around - but they come out late at night and are very well dressed, quiet and you don't even know they are there. I couldn't tell them from the tourists. They are in many places around Waikiki
Yes - you have to use a swipe card for the lift - this was good - higher security and shouldn't be viewed as a problem.
Yes - there is noise from the street - but it is fairly general city noise and is the same all over Waikiki.

Just remember that Waikiki is very touristy so there are a lot of people and noise to go along with it. If you are looking for an idillic beach peaceful silence, try another island. And if you are looking for 5 star comfort and a view of the beach this hotel is not for you. But if you are looking for value for money and a good location think about this hotel. The Ohana web site has some photos and other information.

Enjoy the Ohana East and Waikiki. You'll have a great time.

Not how I remembered it to be...

by TripAdvisor Member KIMNGUYEN

This was my 3rd visit to Hawaii and stay at the Ohana East formerly known as the Outrigger East. My last stays were in 1997 and 1999. On each visit, I reserved the 1 bedroom suite with kitchenette. The kitchenette includes a small pot/pan, utensils, bowls, plates, cups, knife, can opener and kitchen towel. I suggest bringing Palmolive Dishwipes or Dawn Wash n' Toss to wash dishes. The detergent provided is regular liquid soap found in public restrooms and are not adequate for dishes. Coffeemaker and coffee is provided but we do not consume coffee so I am unsure what the cost is. There is a newspaper service. Cable was downgraded to basic only. Previous stays included Showtime, HBO, E, etc.

This hotel was unique in offering free local crafts in the lobby such as lei making, etc. The information channel on TV indicated Tuesday to Friday but upon verbal inquiry, I was told that it was only available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. However, none were scheduled during my visit this time. This was a disappointment because I enjoy the free classes from the locals.

Parking is $10/day with in and out privileges; however, the location of the hotel is perfect and public transportation (The Bus) is $2 for adults and $1 for minors under 18 years. We only rented a car for 1 day to drive around the island and go to the North Shore. The hotel is also conveniently located across from The Food Pantry for grocery purchases. The store closes at 1am.

I made reservations through their website and it was very convenient and quick. I requested an ocean view and Diamond Head view room and one was provided even though I had a late check-in (10pm).

The hotel has definitely aged with the same furnishings and carpet. The bathroom had a shower only with no tub. Maid/room service is there every morning by 8:30am.

Overall, I was disappointed upon entering my hotel room but after learning that the hotel was undergoing renovations (top floors i.e. 15 through Penthouse only) with expected completion to be end of 2004, I would return to this hotel but will ask for one of the newly renovated floors.

Good Value/Location

My wife and I just returned on Aug 28th from this hotel and really enjoyed our stay. This hotel is centrally located on the bus line and about 200 yards from the sand at Waikiki. It is within easy walking distance to most shopping and restaurants in the area. The rooms were modest and very quiet. I usually have at least a few experiences of loud noises and late arrivals distrubing me in my sleep. I had no occurances of this the entire week. We stayed in a balcony room overlooking the pool.

Very nice

by TripAdvisor Member Malcolmsmom

Because we booked through Priceline I was a bit dubious and thought we might not get a good room. But this was very nice - not good on scenery but convenience to Waikiki was great. Rooms were clean and we got a newspaper delivered every morning.

under contruction

I've had good success with Ohana in the past, but from now on I'll call them first to see if there is construction going on. The pool was closed. Yes, we could use most other Ohana pools, but still. The construction workers kind of slowed down the elevator with their getting on at the fifth floor and getting off at the forth floor. Someone should introduce them to the stairwell. When this level of inconvenience occurs at other hotels, the rate is discounted, but not at Ohana, apparently. Yes, there were streetwalkers, but they seem to be all over that section of Waikiki, so what can you do, call the cops? The Waikiki police station is only a few hundred feet away. What, the cops never get out of the station? The refurbished rooms are nice, like new. I'd stay again. The cyber cafe in the lobby is a dump. If you're interested in keeping dust and grime away from your laptop, stay away. The staff won't mind your absence. Too many customers would make it difficult for them to store bicycles between the tables in the café.

On the dashboardOn the dashboard

Sign about the lighthouseSign about the lighthouse

Entrance signEntrance sign

love the piano border!love the piano border!

Hotels just of waikiki

by jake240

My wife and I are coming to Honolulu first part of Oct.-We are looking to stay in a hotel/condo just off Waikiki Beach that has a pool, kitchen or kitchenette(so we can cook our own breakfast,lunch). I was looking at staying at either- Ohana East, Ohana Reef Towers, Aston Pacific Monarch, Aston Waikiki Beach Tower or Aston Waikiki Banyon. Can anyone give me info what these hotels are really like? Clean, freindly etc ?

Re: Hotels just of waikiki

by joesorce

The best I know is the old Hawaiiana, very clean but a bit worn...rooms open right up to the pool area where fresh juices are served every morning...very friendly Hawaiian staff...a real Hawaiian feel to this place. Check it out and ask for the internet discount...not luxury by any means but everything you need.

www.hawaiianahotelatwaikiki.com

Re: Hotels just of waikiki

by deadhead1955

Hi, I have been going to Oahu for 25 years. For economy I would stay at the Royal Grove 2 blocks from the beach. Many of the hotels you mentioned are ok (I think the Aston Pacific Monarch is across the street from the Royal Grove.

I finally purchased a condo at the Iikai a number of years ago. I like the ilikai because it gives you the illusion that you are much more isolated than you are, especially if you get a unit facing the water. It is much higher scale than the ones you mentioned and if you go through Marina Hawaii Vacations at http://marinahawaiivacations.com/
Stephanie there can work you a good deal. The units they rent all have full kitchens and a real nice owners pool. I would rent you mine but I am going to be using my unit at the end October into November. -Neal

Restaurant and meeting space in or near the International market place

by traveljunction

I have a group staying at the Ohana East Hotel on Kaiulani Avenue next year. They are seeking a meeting room that would hold about 40 people within walking distance to the hotel, as well as a restaurant (not fast food) for their farewell dinner. The hotel prices are somewhat high. Is there any place you can recommend?

Many thanks for your help.

Trudy Liuzzo
President
Travel Junction, Inc.
email: traveljunction@verizon.net

Wow

by RogerOma

Unless it is during a very busy time of year I can't see why the hotel wouldn't offer the meeting room either free or steeply discounted for booking a group of that many.
Have you contacted Ohana to see what they can do for you either in that hotel or one of their others?
For restaurants the Hula Grill, Hy's Steakhouse, Hau Tree at the New Otani Kaimana Hotel are a few that come to mind.

by jahmere1

I agree with the reply above. Why would the hotel not provide you a comp meeting room. It's only 40 people. If you have not already signed the contract, get rates from a site like www.hotelscouter.com or www.hotelplanner.com. You can ususally finagle a free meeting room when you book in a blind auction.

by oahu_concierge

I would recommend the Regency Ballrooms at the Royal Hawaiian or island ballrooms at the Sheraton Waikiki.

Need hotel help!?!?

by Mia813

Hi, my best friend and I are planning a trip to Waikiki June 3rd-9th. We are 18 and 19 and need help finding a hotel. Any suggestions for hotels that are great for are ages. We def. don't want to spend alot of money as we are college students. Some hotels we are thinking about:
Aston Waikiki Beachside
Miramar at Waikiki
Aston Pacific Monarch
Aston Waikiki Joy Hotel

Please I really need help this is my first trip I am planning and I don't want to screw this up. I really want this to be enjoyable for the both of us. A hotel that is relatively close to the beach is great too.

Mia

by joesorce

The Waikiki Joy is a good choice and usually around $99 a night.

If you really want a good deal take a look at the Waikiki Sand Villa hotel. It's not the ritz but it is a great location, short walk to International marketplace and a 7 minute walk to the beach. Free internet access to check your email and coffee & donuts in the morning. Most of the rooms have a fridge so you can save on food costs. They also have a happy hour where you can find cheap eats. They should have rates of around $75 per night on expedia.com
Ask for a corner room, they are the best.

by joesorce

Actually I think the Sand Villa rates are better direct on their website, you could get a weekly rate of $70 per night on a deluxe corner room with balcony.

www.sandvillahotel.com

Re: Re: Need hotel help!?!?

by 2rs

Hi Mia,

I was in Waikiki a couple of weeks ago and needed a hotel for a couple of nights. I went to hotel.com to find a place the night before my arival and found Celebrity Resorts for $79 a night, their rack rate was $125.
It was located two blocks from the beach at the international marketplace, rooms faced a nice garden with pool and jacuzi. Perhaps worth looking into.

Enjoy Hawaii
Bjoern

Re: Re: Need hotel help!?!?

by YVRDave

for the price try http://www.astonhotels.com/aston/propertyOverview.do?propertyGroupId=25563
The Waikiki beachside is the beige wall to the left which is expensive for a view.
I have always liked the Outrigger/Ohana's on Lewers St and the pool deck ath The West.
Nothing is really far from the beach.
The Princess kiulani is a great deal across the street from the beach.

by YVRDave

Also stop worrying about screw ups. They can be some of the most memorable parts of a vacation.
They also can cause enough anxiety to ef up relaxation.
Just go with what happens and it will work out.

try priceline

by ranada7

I bid on a 3 star for June $52 night. Got the Radisson.
Close to beach.