Outrigger Luana Waikiki

2045 Kalakaua Avenue, (formerly Waikiki Terrace), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
Luana Waikiki
Booking.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

More about Outrigger Luana Waikiki

A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel

by AKtravelers about Outrigger Luana

On my most recent trip to Oahu, I stayed in the Outrigger Luana Hotel, which was recently refurbished and has all non-smoking rooms. I was lucky enough to get a top-floor room with a view down Kalakaua Blvd -- the main drag in Waikiki -- toward the peak of Diamondhead. THe rooms were polished stone floors and contained a few kitchen amenities such as a sink, dishwasher, dishes, microwave, etc. so that you could at least prepare breakfast in your room if you wanted to save on costs. I imagine you have to do the dishes yourself -- I had a cup of coffee on morning and the cup staid dirty for the remaining three days of my stay.
The Outrigger Luana also has a laundramat.

Luana Waikiki was just right!

We stayed at the Outrigger Luana Waikiki for eight nights over Thanksgiving, 2004. I was in one room with my husband and one-year-old. My parent-in-laws had another room. And my sister-in-law, brother-in-law and their two kids had another room. The place has recently been remodeled and the rooms are tastefully decorated, clean, quiet and nicely appointed. I don't know that I have ever slept in a more comfortable bed or ever will. It is slightly off the beaten path, but is truly a short walk to the ocean, the Hilton Hawaiian Village and all the shopping and restaurants you could want. It is next door to a beautiful park that we took our son on walks through when we needed to kill a little time. The pool is small, but really clean and there is nice, new deck furniture and cabanas. If I were returning to Waikiki, I would stay there again in a heartbeat. If you stay there, be sure to walk through the park to the Wailana Coffee Shop and have a bowl of muesli. It was so good that I brought the recipe home with me and e-mailed it to my friends. As for stuff to do, we didn't really like the tourist stuff. The Sea Life Park is a very small, very low budget Sea World and none of the kids really enjoyed it. I heard the zoo and aquarium are not too impressive, so we didn't even go there. The Polynesian Cultural Center is so-so. It was extremely expensive. If you are a real anthropology/cultural studies buff, you would probably think it is neat, but I can't wholeheartedly recommend it, especially at the $100 plus per ticket. If you are going to do it, though, be sure to get the guided tour because otherwise, I think you'd really get nothing out of it. And be prepared for rain. We got soaked. The Horizons show they put on there, however, is utterly fantastic. Our son stood in front of our seats mesmerized for the whole hour and a half and was signing "more" for the Samoans, who chant and stomp. The water park was great, even for our little one. It has a huge kiddie section with little slides. We had to drag our son out when the park closed. Kids under a certain height aren't permitted on any submarines, so we couldn't do any of those adventures. The highlight really was our day at Bellows Beach, an inactive air force field. The beach is covered in tall trees and the water remains shallow for yards and yards, the sand is white and fine and the waves are more gentle than either North Shore or Waikiki. Our son loved it. It is what you picture when you think of Hawaii. We did go up to North Shore one day, but the surf was too strong to play in and there was hardly anything there in the way of restaurants or shopping. I have to say we enjoyed our vacation and the Luana Waikiki was a very pleasant place to rest our weary heads at the end of each day.

Outstanding stay at Luana

Based on our very favorable experience with Outrigger properties over the years, we stayed at the Outrigger Luana Waikiki from February 27 to March 3. We could not have been more pleased. We have stayed at a number of other Waikiki hotels over the years and the Luana was certainly the best value for the money.

We booked through the Outrigger reservation system and paid for a efficiency with kitchen. On arrival we were upgraded to a one bedroom unit. The property has been renovated in the past year and everything in the unit was up-to-date and in new condition. The unit was spacious and the bathroom was much larger than the usual hotel bathroom. The unit was equipped for basic cooking and housekeeping although we only had breakfast in the unit. We had a view of the ocean but the property is back from the water overlooking a park so the ocean view is a limited distant view of the waves, but no sandy beach. We were on the 8th floor and the higher floors may have a better ocean view.

Being a condo building, the Luana has more limited facilities. The lobby is perfectly comfortable and pleasant but is not fancy. There is no restaurant. There is a small shop facing the street. Coin operated washers and dryers are available. Two computers are available for use on a pay-by-the-minute basis on the mezzanine. There is an attractive looking pool but we did not use it.

The Luana is located close to the point at which Kuhio comes off from Kalakaua. A bus stop is across the street, providing service into the city. Two good restaurants, Keo's (Thai) and Nick's Fishmarket are across the street, as are two convenience stores. The well-known stores, hotels and restaurants on Kalakaua are only a short walk away.

Some previous contributors have commented on construction. It appears that construction is complete except for some work being done on the mezzanine level in what appear to be conference or meeting rooms. The only effect of this on guests, that we noted, is that at some times one elevator is taken out of general service for use by the workmen.

The employees of the hotel are very friendly and helpful. Because our flight home was leaving at 11:30pm, we paid an extra half day of rent to use the apartment until 6:00pm. Then we checked our bags, had dinner and came back and sat in the lobby until we left for the airport. The staff made our bus reservations for the airport. When we reclaimed our bags to go to the airport, the clerk refused to take a tip!!!

We would strongly recommend the Luana, unless one wants to look directly on to the beach or wants the classic elegance of a traditional hotel such as the Royal Hawaiian.

Luana - Great stay !

by TripAdvisor Member Dayton_OHJohn

We stayed in room 1011 overlooking the park and ocean from Oct 14-25, 2004. Room was completely refurbished and clean. This was a studio condo, with refrig and coffee, but no microwave or cooktop. Loads of storage space in room. Pool and common areas were great. Staff was friendly and helpful. This is not a full service hotel. Was the best stay in our 5 trips to Waikiki in the past 5 years. Would stay here again!

Good Spot

by TripAdvisor Member pspercy

Stayed there late October 04. Very satisfied, we were upgraded to a one bedroom suite which was immaculate as the whole place has been renovated. It's now condos, no restaurant on property but very expensive Japanese place next door, gas station on the other side - which rents Ferraris etc :) , then Keo's opposite and TGIFriday's a little further. Lewers St, Royal Hawaiian Center etc a short walk away. Nice walk thru' Ft DeRussy park to Waikiki beach or hotels for breakfast etc. Great setting, would happily return.

What a pleasant surprise!!!

This hotel is a real gem. It has just been fully remodeled and they did an outstanding job. The hotel has a great location, not on the beach but close enough. Very close to good shopping and good food. Banana Republic and Niketown are right across the street and were having good sales. Keos restaurant across the street is a Honolulu landmark and is a must do. Our partial ocean view was fabulous and included DiamondHead. The room was immaculate. We had a studio with kitchenette which included a fridge and a microwave. Also enough dishes and pots and pans if you want to cook your own meal. Marble floor instead of carpeting....loved it! The staff was courteous and friendly. Parking was fine, just unload your luggage from the front of the hotel so you don't have to drag it up the one flight of stairs from the garage. I didn't feel that the parking was inconvenient at all. Some of the units are condos as there was an Open House going on while we were there. I was tempted to buy one. I would highly recommend this place.

Great room at even better price!

As an airline crew member, I have stayed in at least 10 different hotels in Waikiki. This one had the best bed (high threadcount sheets), tiled floors and overall very clean and comfortable. Flat-screen TV was also nice. The view was phenomenal from the 10th floor. Every afternoon we kicked back on the lanai and watched the sun set. Although there was not a restaurant on premises, it was not necessary, as there are probably 50 restaurants in a 10 min radius. Everything from Denny's to the Halekulani. I especially enjoyed being in a hotel without huge crowds. It is above average in almost every way compared to most Waikiki hotels.

Honolulu, Visit

by TripAdvisor Member mphavel

We visited Honolulu and stayed at the outrigger. Great Hotel, but no bath just showers, nice breakfast buffet. We are going back this year in april and are staying at the Royal Hawaiian and are looking forward to it. I have read reviews about the Beach area etc. Well my feeling is; if you want a quiet beach go a place that is less populated. Remember this is a major city with tourists and attractions, hussle and bussel everywhere; but its Hawaii and expect to see traffic and people at all hours of the day, you can sleep on the way home in the plane. We went to other islands like, Kaui, Maui and Kona. These islands are less crowded and have different things to see. I recommend a 4 island tour offered by your man tours. This will let you see all the islands and then take your pick. But people in Hawaii are friendly and helpfull. They are proud people and they are fellow americans. You have to visit the Arizona and experience why we are free to make comments and are able to go just about anywhere we want. Remember every day is a beautifull day when you are alive. So live it up and enjoy Hawaii regardless of where you are at. Aloha!!!

Extremely happy with the Luana

Stayed at the Luana 08Mar -10 Mar after having conducted extensive research with Trip Advisor. We reserved 3 x 1 bedroom apartments and were extremely pleased with the quality and size. Great big bedrooms and bathrooms and if you are lucky enough to get corner apartments (we got 2 out of 3) they are larger than the others.

Very nice inclusions with a fully equipped kitchen. It was great having 2 flat screen TV's - nice touch.

Great pool and brand new fully equipped fitness centre. Pool only gets afternoon sun but the beach is a very pretty walk through the park only 5-8 minutes away.

Bus stop 1 mintue away takes you to the Alona centre directly.

ABC and E-Z stores and restaurants as well as car hire right across the road. It's away from the crowds of Waikiki but only 5 minutes to walk to the centre should you choose.

Had the opportunity to take a look at the rooms with kitchenettes which also looked very nice.

Have stayed in Waikiki 5 times previously in hotel rooms (never the same) and can categorically state that it will be the Luana for us next time for the quality and space and location of the property.

I have posted photos of the rooms and bathrooms separately so please take a look as I'm sure you will be as pleasantly surprised as we were.

IN LOVE!

This hotel was truly a secret oasis in Waikiki! The exterior of the building can be fooling, bu the interior was excellent! The rooms were beautiful, very clean and very spacious! The tsaff ws friendly, warm, and welcmoing and very patient with me which was very surprsing adn apprecaited by me because often times, being a teenager, our transactions aren't alwasy treated with respect! There are wonderful amenties and everything is brand new! The bed is comfy with nice sheets. The room was free of any odd lingering odors. And, although it's ot centered in Waikiki's hustle and bustle, it's only a few minutes- one to two minutes- away from it! If you're a wsie investor this would be your best move!

by snash1

Has anyone ever stayed here? How was it?

Re: Outrigger Luana Waikiki

by travelgourmet

Aloha, the hotel is across from Fort De Russy, right on Kalakaua Ave, close to the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It is about a 3-4 block walk to the beach and about the sasme to the main drag of Kalakaua in Waikiki. It is a very nice condo style hotel. Aloha oe.

Comments