2490 Kalakakua Avenue, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
Official Site Booking.com Expedia.com

Costs 27% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Pacific Beach Hotel

Pacific Beach Hotel Excellent!

October 5, 2003 My husband and I just returned (September 28th) from our first visit to Hawaii. We celebrated our 50th anniversary with a week's stay at the Pacific Beach Hotel. It was perfect! We enjoyed the Oceanarium, watching the diver feed and play with the fish (and anniversary sign held by diver). Our terrific children and grandchildren also surprised us with a beautiful Hawaiian flower arrangement and fruit tray upon our arrival to our room. Our Romance package (hey, we're not old yet!) consisted of a non-smoking, oceanfront, balcony room which was very clean and comfortable, breakfast coupons, champagne plus a great view. We had a full view of the ocean and beach which was breathtaking at sunrise and sunset. We especially enjoyed having our morning coffee on the balcony and watching the early morning surfers, swimmers and joggers. There was always activity on Waikiki Beach from early to late. In the evening there would be Hawaiian entertainment across the street near the beach that we could attend or just listen from our balcony. Most of the stores on our street were open to 11 a.m. so we enjoyed walking, shopping and having an ice cream treat along with so many others. There were much to see within walking distance of hotel as well as transportation whether it be by taxi, bus, or trolley. Tours can be arranged with travel agents in hotel with hotel pickup. The hotel staff was friendly, service very good and both breakfast and evening buffet consisted of many selections. Our room was always clean and in the evening we would return to find our bed ready with a chocolate for each and flower. I could go on and on......My only regret is that we did not stay longer.....or plan to renew our vows on the beach. What a perfect place to do so! We would definitely recommend Pacific Beach as an awesome place to stay! We look forward to another stay there ourselves.

If you just have to stay in Waikiki...

by coletteis about Pacific Beach Hotel

The hotel is very nice, especially for the price. Very close to the beach. Just walk across the street, and you're there, Waikiki beach.

180 degree view of the Diamond Head and Waikiki

by joiwatani about Pacific Beach Hotel

Our hotel's 180 degree view of the Diamond Head and the Waikiki Beach is absolutely spectacular. I wake up early in the morning to look outside the lanai of our hotel room and appreciate how beautiful the island is - the Diamond Head standing majestically still and surrounded by the Waikiki blue warm water!

The hotel service and staff are excellent. The hotel has a restaurant on the first floor that offers breakfast buffet before 10 am. It is called the Oceanaria. It has been voted many times as the best restaurant in Oahu! It has a huge aquarium that has three huge sting rays (manta rays?) and different tropical fishes including a huge blow fish. While we are enjoying our food, we also enjoy watching the fishes in the aquarium!

I was told again and again that I have to haul my family over there before 10 in the morning so we can really enjoy the wonderful array of breakfast food! My daughter Shelby always have continental breakfast - which is $10 cheaper than the hot breakfast. So, make sure that when you go eat over here, tell the wait staff what you like: Continental breakfast or hot breakfast. The hot breakfast includes everything on the tables! There is miso soup, Hawaiian-style fried rice, french toast, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, cereals, fresh fruit juice (pineapple, guava juice, orange juice). The choices of freshly-cut Hawaiian fruits are excellent. The papayas are ripe and delicious! There are watermelon, canteloupe, Dole pineapple, mandarin oranges, etc. There are also many choices of cereals and bread- wheat bread, English muffins, bagels and french toast! The continental breakfast is just for the cold breakfast - cereals and fruits! The servers are wonderful. They served us coffee (we are coffee drinkers like Seattlelites!) many times!

I highly recommend the hotel and the restaurant. By the way, we stayed at Room #3466! The view at the hotel is magnificent-Diamond Head on the south and the Waikiki Beach on the east. I watched the sun rise every morning and just watch the lights of the hotels and the ships at night.

There is a spa at the hotel and a swimming pool. The swimming pool is very small. Why would I check this anyway when there are many beaches around the island? Of course, that's me. But, believe me, there are tourists who still prefer swimming in the pool!

The hotel's restaurant Oceanaria holds about 30000 gallons of water - it's about three story high of aquarium! There are giant sting rays in it magnificently and gracefully swimming! We missed the feeding time - usually, there are two divers who goes inside the aquirium and feed the fish!

The wait staff at the restaurant is excellent. They are service-oriented people! They are always outstanding in their service.

The hotel has a parking at the back and it is great for us.

One of the best hotel views in Honolulu!

by joiwatani about Pacific Beach Hotel

We got a room on the 34th floor that has a lanai with a 180-degree view of the Waikiki beach and the Diamond Head.

The room has all the amenities. Of course, there's the tv, the telephone, extra round table and two chairs for writing. The beds are comfortable.

Outside the lanai, there is a picnic table with two lounge chairs. The lanai is great. In the morning, I sit here and wait for the sunrise. I also eat my breakfast here. It has spectacular and amazing views! I watched the surfers and early beach combers in the morning. At night, I sit here and unwind, relax and count my blessings for the day. I thanked God how lucky I am to come visit Hawaii again and how lucky I am to have a brother like Silverio and his wife to book me and my family in this hotel.

The room comes with complimetary coffee in the morning. It has a coffee maker, refrigerator and even safety deposit box! (Of course, the safe deposit box comes with a fee $3.00 per day).

Honestly, the rooms are not comparable to the rooms of hotels I had been, but I just wanted the view! It has spectacular views.

The Pacific Beach Hotel has an award-winning fine dining restaurant. The restaurant is called Oceanaria. It has been voted, year after year, as the best restaurant in Honolulu! The restaurant has an indoor aquarium that holds almost over 30,000 gallons of ocean water! As we enjoy our sumptous meals, we also enjoy watching the sting rays, blow fish, and other tropical fishes swimming in the aquarium! This restaurant has the best breakfast buffet ever- in Honolulu!

The hotel has shops at the lobby. Parking is also not a problem. The hotel has it's own separate parking space connected to the hotel. Make sure to go back to the lobby and use the elevator when you arrive after 10 pm. The doors at the parking lot closes at night for safety reasons.

I highly recommend this hotel for comfort, convenience and for spectacular views! Make sure to ask the check in person to get you to the highest floors with a view. The staff are well-trained and give good service. There is a swimming pool but it is too small. This doesn't matter to me since the beach is in front of the hotel! There is also a spa but didn't try it either.

One of my favorites is the...

by winetam

One of my favorites is the first level restaurant inside The Pacific Beach hotel in Honolulu....it has a 40 ft. tall 'wall aquarium' with an incredible array of tropical fish including a manta ray the last time I was there....it is quite ambiant and the food is very good as well.

8 great days

We just got back from 8 great days in Honolulu, staying at the Pacific Beach hotel. The location was perfect with the beach just across the street and so many good restaurants within walking distance. We had an ocean front room that was spacious and with the curtains open gave us a fantastic view of the ocean and the early morning surfers. The stafff was extremely friendly and helpful all the time. We toured other hotels on the strip and felt we had the best deal and the best location. We are coming back next year and will stay at the Pacific Beach hotel again.

Awesome Hotel !!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member shalinimisri

the view was SPECTACULAR!!!!! we had a partial oceanview...this hotel was absolutely wonderful..the people were great, the atmosphere was beautiful...this was my first trip to hawaii(oahu)...and i researched hotels for three weeks before deciding on pacific beach and i was so pleased..the staff at the hotel were so nice..they helped with the doors, carried our bags to our rooms..they were really really freindly..the oceanarium restaurant wasn't that great..especially for $40.00 per person..but can't complain about anything else..i'll be in oahu next year and i will be DEFINITELY staying at the pacific beach hotel...i recommend this hotel to anyone...couples..families..honeymooners...i had a geat time !!!!!

Great Hotel, Location, etc.!

by TripAdvisor Member Mustang45

Me and my husband stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel in September, 2003 for 5 nights. This was our first trip to Honolulu and we were pleasantly surprised with this great hotel! The price was reasonable and we could not have asked for a better location (walking distance to shops, hotels, restaurants, bars, zoo, aquarium, etc.). The hotel is right inbetween the Hyatt Regency and the Marriott and is directly across the street from the best beach area in Waikiki (Kuhio Beach)!
Although the rooms are basic and slightly dated, they are clean and the staff is extremely friendly!!We had an oceanview room in the beach tower on the 14th floor and had the most awesome views of the beach and spectacular sunsets every evening. There is also a free torch lighting cermony and concert directly across the street from the hotel (next to Duke's statue) every evening at 6:30 p.m. you can either watch from your hotel balcony or go down and join the crowd. We also had a free buffet breakfast every morning in the Oceanarium restaurant, this buffet was a great way to start our day! You will most definitely enjoy your stay at the Pacific Beach, I highly recommend it!!

Good Value if you get a recently renovated room.

by TripAdvisor Member chickywombles

Just returned from Honolulu. Spent 10 days at the Pacific Beach Hotel.
The location of the hotel is great. Right across the street from Waikiki Beach and located in the quieter section of Waikiki.

We originally booked an Oceanfront room in the Beach Tower. The view from the room was very nice but the room itself was awful. Not very clean, tiny and probably not renovated in 25 years!

However, the very friendly staff at the front desk (particularly David) were very sympathetic and offered us another room.

We finally found a very comfortable oceanview room in the Oceanarium tower that was actually less expensive! We ironically "downgraded" to a superior room that was very clean, spacious and offered a magnificent view of the ocean and Diamond Head. It was as if we had gone to another hotel! My advice to anyone considering a stay at this hotel is to ask for a more recently renovated room and hopefully you will get one that also provides a beautiful view.

Great Value...Would Stay There Again

We just returned from an 8 day stay at the Pacific Beach and were very happy with the accomodations. Although the rooms were not luxurious, they were nice, clean, and spacious. Personally, I would much rather spend my money doing things on my vacation rather than on the room.
When booking this hotel ask for a room on a high floor of the beach tower (to avoid any Waikiki Beach noise-we were on the 11th floor and there are 17 floors) not the oceanarium tower, (although those rooms are nice too) since it is closer to the beach. An ocean view (which was what we had) gave us a great lanai with a beautiful view of the beach.
We were on the side of the building, and the ocean was off to our right. If you wanted a full view of the ocean, we were told we would have to pay an an additional $40 per night. We were satisfied with the lovely view that we had though. The staff was very friendly, and always had a smile. The location was great (closer to Diamond Head and the Honolulu Zoo); it was directly across from Waikiki Beach, and also close to the park. Although it was busy, it was a much quieter area than other parts of the beach. It was also near the area of the ocean that has a breakwater or walls surrounding it to make the surf calm.
You could choose to float around in the calm portion of the ocean or walk a few yards to the surfing area. The dinner buffet is fabulous, around $30 per person, and includes everything from shrimp to prime rib and all the trimming, as is the breakfast buffet at about $15 per adult. Denny's and Cheeseburger in Paradise are also close by and offer less expensive meal options. However, this main restaurant of the Pacific Beach Hotel offers wonderful views of the indoor aquarium, complete with sting rays, and sharks. During my stay I decided to do some laundry. There are about 4 or 5 washers and dryers on the fifth floor. I washed my clothes and then found that three of the dryers had recently broken. There were two people ahead of me waiting for the dryers and I had a dinner reservation that evening. Upon calling maintenance, they determined it could not be fixed that evening. I spoke to the manager of the hotel and told him about my dinner reservation. He promptly had housekeeping pick up my wet laundry, dry it, fold it, and returned it to my room, so I could make dinner that evening. That accomodation really made an impression on me. As a whole for the price, I would definitely recommend the Pacific Beach Hotel.

The Pacific Beach HotelThe Pacific Beach Hotel

Map to find the Pacific Beach Hotel / OceanariumMap to find the Pacific Beach Hotel / Oceanarium

Info Pacific beach hotel in Oahu

by rohnny

Hi all
Did someone have perhaps some info about the Pacific Beach Hotel in Oahu ?
Thx a lot.
Rgds
Rohnny

by stormy69

Hi Rohnny
This is what the travel agents truth bible has to say about it...
"Sizeable well-presented middlemarket establishment, somewhat lacking in character, in good position for beach and shops. Centrepiece is well-stocked aquarium – with the occasional lone scuba diver – in seafood restaurant. Pool on fourth floor.
Exterior: 2 prominent 17- and 38-storey towers (1969), linked by 3rd-floor walkway. Most rooms with balcony. Interior: Plain and extensive. Spacious glitzy low-ceilinged lobby lined with boutiques and touristy shops. Large impressive 2-storey aquarium surrounds informal American/seafood buffet restaurant with neat circular bar. Bright Japanese restaurant faces top of aquarium. Additional eatery features Pacific Rim cuisine. Small street-side coffee counter. Some public areas refurbished 2002. Grounds: None at ground level. Thin 4th-floor lap pool (20 yds) in large breezy paved terrace with several loungers, plenty of shade and drinks/snack machines; overlooked by high-rises. Rooftop tennis court. Spa."
It is graded as a 3*
Hope this helps
Chir

by joesorce

Clean, perfect location if you want to be near the ACTION and the beach, but too old and run-down to recommend anymore....unless they've done a recent renovation.

by Ric

Aloha!

The Pacific Beach has seen better days, but you can't beat the location--just a block from Kuhio Beach (principal Waikiki beach). It is a favorite venue for Japanese group tours.

Try the Marriot Waikiki Beach for a better property in the same neighborhood. They have just uprgraded their rooms and you don't have to pay for fish that you can't eat!

Ric

by Out.in.MN

You can do better.

We stayed there in Sept 2003. There's a write-up in our Travel pages. Not recommended unless things have changed.

Based on the other VT responses you've received, it doesn't look like things have changed.

Re: Re: Info Pacific beach hotel in Oahu

by rohnny

Hi all
Indeed comments are no so good for the Pacific Beach hotel and I will try to found another one... but from here in Belgium is not so easy to four a tour operator who works with Hawaii. If you have some hotel to recommends dont hesitate, it will for sure helps us.
Thx and brgds.
Rohnny

best way to spend 3.5 days on oahu?

by perullo

I'm stopping off in Oahu super-early fri morning 21Mar, and staying until monday 24Mar. I basically have 3 full days. I'm going to be rolling solo - 31 year-old single guy just relaxing for a few days. I want to try kitesurfing. It seems like the east shore is the way to go there. It also seems those places to stay would be laid-back B&B's. I'm thinking it might be better to stay in town near the action and just bus/cab it around. I'm also not opposed to some surfing or any kind of physical activity in the sun. I'm not too worried about cost and a place with a spa or something might be cool to get a massage one day. On the other hand since I'm solo I'd like to mingle a bit so a spot with a good bar would be fun. I'm not too worried about cost. Not going to spend money just for the sake of it but if there is a better place or activity that costs a little extra no worries. So if you are in my shoes and looking to spend 3 full days of sweating and burning in the sun all day, socializing at night, and having the time of your life what would you do?

Re: best way to spend 3.5 days on oahu?

by RogerOma

I think you would be happier staying in Waikiki if you want the nightlife and do the the Bus as you mentioned.
You might look at the Pacific Beach Hotel or one of the Resortquest hotels.

Re: best way to spend 3.5 days on oahu?

by rene82

I would agree that Waikiki would be a good place for you to go. During the day the beach is filled with people if you want to mingle. Surfing is available there as well, although pretty crowded. The nightlife there you should definitely enjoy. They have street performers, artists, and shopping, so just walking around town can be fun. There are a lot of places to grab a drink and mingle. Sorry I don't remember any specific names. As far as other outdoor activities: I enjoyed snorkeling in Hanauma Bay, hiking Diamond Head and Mount Olympus which both offer great views of the surrounding area. Manoa Falls Trail is an easy hike through a lush bamboo forest to the falls. Getting around by bus seemed pretty easy.

Comments