Resortquest Waikiki Beachside Hotel

Budget Travel Business Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
See Amenities
lonealaskangypsy's Profile Photo

An Outdated Hotel That Needs Some Help

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 6, 2012

This hotel would have been absolutely beautiful back when it was new. But unfortunately time has taken its toll, and now the hotel is beginning to fall apart. The floors are cracked, walls are dirty, and the decor is worn and outdated. The rooms are small, offer only a small box television, no internet, low water pressure, and terrible phone service. Some rooms have no windows at all and some have a view of a neighboring hotel's concrete wall. Only a few select rooms have beach views. The rooms in and of themselves are fairly dirty. Every wall I saw in the hotel was stained. All of the floor tiles were cracked. The elevator was very small and felt unsafe. It rattled as it went up and down and I'm fairly sure it isn't up to modern building standards. The staff was okay, but not overly friendly or attentive. They were just merely there to help you if you needed it. And don't count on changing rooms if you get stuck with a windowless corner area. None of the employees I talked to could offer me a different space as opposed to my grungy small two-bed disappointment. Overall, there are much better affordable hotels on Waikiki. I suggest looking elsewhere. This hotel just needs a lot of work.

Unique Quality: The Waikiki beach is right across the street. There are a variety of little restaraunts and shops surrounding the facility.

Directions: If you are driving on Kalakaua Avenue look for a building near the McDonalds. It doesn't have a sign, so just look for an 'open door' area that leads into a hallway. In gold lettering above the 'open door hallway' you will see 'Waikiki Beachside Hotel'.

The Best Kept Secret (until now!)

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 20, 2006

DON'T GO during spring break--that is high season and everything is already expensive. But any time after that, get ready for the time of your life! I've experienced stay at this hotel on several occasions in 2000, 2002 and again in 2003. I found it by accident on my first trip to Honolulu, but upon meeting the friendly staff and seeing that the place was quiet and clean, I decided to stay .

I liked the touch of Japanese throughout the hotel quaint and picturesque. In the bath, You will find traditional Japanese black cabinetry topped with a shiny black vanity and gold fixtures. I felt that the decor, armoire with TV,VCR, and minifridge made up for the fact that the rooms were rather small, but then, who goes to Waikiki Beach to sit in a hotel room! I took advantage of the breakfast served every morning on the second level which leads to a comfortable lounge area with cozy seats and a few tables and complimentary news papers for catching up on current events or the weather while sipping morning coffee. I preferred taking my bagels, fruit, and coffee back up to my room so that I could sit on the "Lanai" or balcony and enjoy the ocean waves while sipping my morning brew. I try to conjure up that image when I am drinking coffee at home in North Texas where there's very little water!

Speaking of the ocean, did I mention that the front entrance to the hotel is directly across the street from the beach? I reccommend that you book your room a year in advance and ask for an ocean view---it is well worth it for obvious reasons. I don't think I ever closed my balcony door whenever I was in the room. The Pacific means "peaceful" for a reason. It had a profound effect on me. There's something for everyone: live music, shopping, and fresh seafood if you choose to eat "local" fare instead of your run of the mill fast food. If you ask for the "catch of the day" you can usually get Mahi Mahi fresh from the ocean and it's cheaper than steak.

Unique Quality: I have found that after that initial stay, each time I've called to make reservations thereafter, the staff remembered my name and went out of their way to make my stay comfortable. The staff is very attentive and knowledgeable about area attractions. I felt a lot safer in the hotel knowing that they have a controlled entrance and that it is one of the few hotels that actually locks the doors after hours. Several hotels have "open-air entrances" due to the fact that there is little rain in Hawaii. Most of the area hotels also have a lot of traffic from younger crowds, especially surfers. So the peace and quiet at the Aston Waikiki Beachside is a welcome respite.

Directions: This is the boutique-front hotel that stands directly across from Wiakiki Beach!

hat53's Profile Photo

If this is partly beach view

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 2, 2004

I booked this hotel for the last two nights of our honeymoon. I wanted an affordable hotel near the beach. Well it is near the beach, just cross the street.

The people are very friendly and the room we had was decorated in a Japanese style. It has an airco and a nice big bathroom.

In the morning a sort of breakfast is served at the first floor. Coffee and some cakes. It not the breakfast we are used to in Europe. I you like you can take your food outside and eat it on the beach.

It is one of the smaller hotels. Only twelve floors high. Don't expect a big lobby. It is small and personal. The maid left us a note to thank us for the tip.

Unique Quality: They have different concierges during the day. The one that had the morning shift was practicing for world idols. Every morning he played on his ukulele and sang a song.

The view from the rooms a great as you can see at the picture. Full beach view.

In the lobby they have beach towels and a book exchange. No need to take them with you.

If your plane leave in the evening, you can apply for a late check out.

Directions: Take waikiki express bus on the airport. They drop you in front of the hotel.

hairpin's Profile Photo

Romantic Boutique Hotel with an Asian Flair

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on March 25, 2004

We went here for our honeymoon in 2000. The room was lovely, with the interior being all decorated with Chinese black lacquer furniture. The bathroom had a nice black marble lined shower. The wall was covered in mirrors, opening up the space more. Actually when I come to think about it, the room was somewhat small, but that just makes it more perfect for couples. Who needs too much space? Not people in love. :)

I picked this spot, because so many of the hotels I had seen online had those horrible jungle print comforters, which are just plain ugly. The beds the Waikiki Beachside, don't have heavy comforters (which you don't need in Hawaii), just pink sheets that get removed and cleaned every day. Having a clean, clean bed is so very nice.

We had a small patio, but the noise from air-conditioning units nearby and from the street were a bit overpowering when we opened the doors. Overall the room was very nice though.

Unique Quality: There are not too many amenities. It is a basic, well-done hotel, which acts as a great place to rest and recoup in between outings. Breakfasts in the morning were included. And the hotel lobby at the rear of the building, includes a relaxing open-air patio with a fountain away from the street-noise.

Directions: Across the street from the beach, hence the name "Beachside"

Nearby Resortquest Waikiki Beachside Hotel

Amenities at Resortquest Waikiki Beachside Hotel

• Business Services
  • Continental Breakfast

Honolulu Travel Forum

Need advice about Honolulu, Hawaii (State of)? Visit the Travel Forum for Honolulu and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Honolulu hotel reviews