Royal Grove Aparthotel Waikiki

151 Uluniu Ave, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States

• SunsetAngel's Profile Photo

Great budget hotel

If you're looking for accomodation with no frills but a great location, then this is the place for you. The staff on the desk were very helpful and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The maid doesn't come in everyday but that's a blessing in itself! The loaction is perfect, within a short walk to shops, the beach and all amenities. I would definitely recommend this hotel to those on a budget. Remember though, it really is no frills and is just very basic. On saying that though, you do get a small kitchenette in your room with cooker, fridge and sink. This is great for keeping eating costs down too. A really great place to stay!

Unique Quality: It does have a small pool in an enclosed area. The hotel has a real community spirit to it too. I had a room at the front (which was a little noisey) but the staff on the desk allowed me to move to another room without any problem.

Directions: Just a block behind the Hyatt Regency.

• tfox799947's Profile Photo

Can't Ignore the BIG $$$ Saved!

My son and I stayed at the Royal Grove in 2005, we already have our reservations for our next trip!
    The Grove is very dated, but we found it to be clean and the staff to be extremely helpful and respectful. We always had plenty of hot water with good pressure (which I hear can be a problem with budget hotels sometimes). The use of a safety deposit box is free.
    You can park across the street for a nominal fee.
    Maid service is not everyday...if you have weekly reservations, it is 2x week. But with just a little picking up after yourself...NO PROBLEM!
    The kitchenette is the best! You can purchase some supplies and have a few meals in your room...saving some more $$$.
    I have recommended the Grove several times.

Unique Quality: Budget Hotel
    Great front desk staff
    Small Clean Pool
    Borrow for free beach toys, boogie boards, beach mats etc.
    Parking for a fee across the street
    A short couple of blocks for Waikiki and The Duke Statue

• Great for the budget minded

My 4 night stay was all work. So, up at 3am, and back by 6 or 7. So, I didn't go out much. Just to get a bite to eat. Well, my room was great for $62. Didn't see one bug. It was pretty clean. Air conditioner worked great. Great TV. Had a fridge, stove, and kitchen sink. Dishes. Okay, so it wasn't a 5 star, but it was great for the price. Didn't eat any Hawaiian food. So, I ate fast food for 4 days. Lots of fast food places around. Parking across the way is $12 a night and $7 at the Waikiki Banyan, about 3 blocks away. Corner stores all over. Pretty good prices. People who work at the hotel are very nice. It's quiet. It was worth the price. But if you are over 5'8, then stay somewhere else. `Cause this bed was very, very short. I'm 5'8, and I had to sleep in an angle to get in the bed. And someone here said it smelled kinda funky in the room. Yeah, it kinda did. But I was too tired to really notice. If you are expecting a really nice room with a couch and nice furniture, well, this isn't the place. But for $62, it is worth it.

Unique Quality: Front desk employees
    Air conditioner
    TV
    Fridge
    Price

• Horrible

I stayed one night here because of the good reviews I've seen everywhere. But once there I realized it wasn't what I thought it was going to be.
    The room had a weird smell. The bed was small. The bathroom was nasty. I didn't even want to take a shower because there was soap scum inside the tub, mildew everywhere, and the shower curtain needed to be washed. The sink had a weird yellow color with dark spots. And the toilet, well, I didn't want to sit on the toilet. The sheets looked clean but smelled like a mixture of mildew and urine. The room's door needed paint. The parking lot across the street was full, and we had to park on the fourth floor. And guess what, they didn't have elevator.
    The people were friendly. The location was great. But I'd rather spend more money and stay in a decent place.

• katmai's Profile Photo

Best Value for the budget traveler

The Royal Grove Hotel, on Uluniu St., is great if you're on a budget and want a place close to Waikiki beach. It is a small family owned pink hotel with clean kitchenettes. It has a pool that is probably less than half the size of regular ones. But with world famous Waikiki just 2-3 blocks away that's no big deal. Alot is in walking distance including the International Marketplace, the Zoo, the Aquarium, and many restuarants/stores. The Bus system is a good way to travel about town and even can be taken around the island of Oahu.

Unique Quality: Very affordable, clean rooms with kitchens. Ask for a room facing the pool courtyard with a/c since they are a little more peaceful. Parking in the garage across the street is reasonable in price too--a rare find in Waikiki.

Directions: In the heart of Waikiki.

• SFHulaGIrl's Profile Photo

Dirt Cheap!!

Are you looking for dirt cheap accommodations right in Waikiki without the hostel environment? The Royal Grove Hotel should fit the bill perfectly. Average rates for a standard room with a private bathroom, air conditioning, a balcony, a kitchenette, and a color TV are $60/night, or $370/week.

Unique Quality: This older pink hotel is a mere block from Kuhio Beach, even though there is a pool on the premises. The best part of the Royal Grove are the owners/managers, the Fongs; they will treat you like Family!!

Directions: Waikiki area; Kuhio Beach

More about Royal Grove Aparthotel Waikiki

Not "royal" but still good

by rafscab about Royal Grove Hotel

We had no previous reservations and we could get a room on this very well located hotel, just 2 blocks from Waikiki beach. People there was kind and helpful, no complains at all. There's a small pool, but with the beach 2 blocks away it's ornamental. It doesn't have breakfast service but the rooms have a kitchenette and TV.

My "Good Deal" Hotel

by beaniezotzim about Royal Grove Hotel

I am not a big splurger when it comes to accomodations. I like to keep things cheap and simple. period. I found the hotel rather charming in its oldness. the rooms are cheap, like $45-75 a night, our trip consisted of 3 girls, we paid $60 per night - it came with a queen bed and a single bed, a functional bathroom, and a full kitchen (stove, fridge, micro, coffee, pots, pans - you get the picture?) The rooms were a little dated but clean and well taken care of with personal touches here and there... I felt like I was renting a studio apartment rather than staying in the hotel. I liked it. small, intimate pool area. personal details in the rooms. friendly staff. great family atmosphere. GREAT location. only about a block and a half from the beach.. very close.

Hawaii on a Shoestring

by TripAdvisor Member 44454445

My husband jokingly told me that if I wanted to holiday in Oahu near Waikiki Beach, I had to find a place for under $50.00 a night. I searched the Internet, read the reviews concerning The Royal Grove Hotel and felt quite comfortable in reserving for a two week stay, which averaged a daily rate of $37.50. Upon arrival I was sceptical of our room, which was in the older wing - clean, but provided neither balcony or air conditioning. While I was made aware of this while I was booking online and felt it unnecessary, I changed my mind when the 85 degrees of heat and 100 % humidity pressed against my body. My husband and I asked at the front desk if we could be upgraded and by the end of the day we were in a room three times the size of the space before. Mind you, the price changed to $59.00 (taxes included) but it was worth every U.S. penny. It had all the comforts of home including a mini bar, stove/oven, microwave, balcony and A/C. Kithchenware was provided but next time I would bring a few plastic beer glasses (for around the pool), a cork screw (one wasn't provided - unless you visit room 202. We forgot ours there!), and a small bottle of dish detergent. The bed was utterly soft and comfortable, and the water pressure in the shower was perfect and we never ran out of hot water. When we asked if it was possible to stay in our room for a few extra hours since our flight wasn't leaving until 6:00 - there wasn't even a moments hesitation. To sum up the hospitality of Mr. Wong and his management was the posting in the elevator a few days before our departure back to Canada. It was an open invitation to all guests to sign up for Thanksgiving supper on November 25th - hosted by the Wong family. Another note to mention is the Oahu Discovery Passport bus pass. It costs $20.00 for 4 consecutive days of unlimited travel. Available at any ABC store. It is recommended to also purchase a Map and Guide Book at the same time ($4.99). Well, worth the money.

A locals great find

by TripAdvisor Member Croixkaikane

My daughter and I flew over from Kauai where we live and stayed at the Royal Grove Hotel in December of 2004. Living here in the islands costs enough as it is, so all I was looking for was a clean, cheap place to lay our heads. I spent a good three or more hours going over reviews before deciding to stay here, and I'm so glad I picked it. Not only is it really affordable at $60/night for the type of room we needed, but it was close to EVERYTHING! My family flew in from all over the U.S. because my cousin was playing a football game against U.H. and they all stayed at places like the Hyatt and privatly owned house rentals. For the amount of time we all actually spent in our rooms, we all agreed I made the wisest choice. The staff was great, the rooms were clean and included, fridge, stove, and microwave. They also had avaliable, boogie boards, surf board and other beach stuff, for free! Now I do have to say that if you are looking for luxury, spas, and pampering, this is NOT the place to stay. It is a older small family owned hotel. While I was there, I was waiting next in line to add on an extra night, and the couple who were foriegners, in front of me were complaining that there was a cockroach that someone had "planted" in thier room. Well all I have to say to that, is welcome to Hawaii. There are more cockroaches than people in Hawaii. You're lucky you only saw one! Anyway, I just wanted to share that this was one of my better choices in life! The Royal Grove was great, and anyone who says different should pay the extra money it costs to stay at the Marriott or Hyatt. You get what you pay for and I ended up getting a lot more than I expected. The next time my family and I go to Oahu, we will most definatly be staying at the Royal Grove and spending the extra money we saved on ourselves out and about while we are there. Aloha!

royal grove hotel, oahuroyal grove hotel, oahu

Ocean Resort Hotel or Royal Grove in Waikiki?

by kirtchik

Hi everyone,

We found a pretty good rate for Ocean Resort($70/night) but it seems a lot of reviews are really negative.
Has anyone ever stayed there? How was it( cleanliness, service, location, AC, noise level)?
And how about Royal Grove?
Which is is better and quieter?

Thanks so much!

RE: Ocean Resort Hotel or Royal Grove in Waikiki?

by RogerOma

We have stayed twice at the Royal Grove and have reservations for this year it is a smaller hotel compared to many in Waikiki. The location is very good for what you pay only two short blocks to the beach and Kapiolani Park is an easy walk. The Ocean Resort is about a block away and we have seen better reviews for the tower with the kitchenettes which I believe is also the newer tower. The clientele we have seen at the Grove are pretty much the same as us coming back to their rooms to shower, change and maybe fix a quick meal before taking off again. I do recommend a courtyard or poolview room as the hotel is close to the street. The newer wing of the hotel has a/c and kitchens the older wing does not have a/c but is about $20 a night less I like opening the door to the lanai in the morning and watch the sunrise. There is another hotel that has got very good reviews and in the same area however I know very little about it just what they put in the review it's called the Waikiki Prince. You can check it on tripadvisors.

• Sep 21, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I feel the need to correct one review, the Grove does have an elevator, it may have been out of order but that happens everywhere. I hope they still have the singing and dancing on Tuesday evenings. Me's Korean bbq on the end of the hotel for breakfast when you don't feel like cooking and Duke's for hula pie is a short walk away.