The Kahala Hotel And Resort

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Kahala Hotel And Resort

Kahala Hilton

by Angelamtp1 about Oahu

The Kahala Hilton is close to Diamond Head, an upscale hotel, with dolfins, nice beach, great service, close also to Waikiki, but not the madness of that area. Great views, very close to everything, dolfins in the hotel area, nice pool.

Away from the croud.

by firsttime about Kahala Mandarin Oriental

First class from the moment we arrived. Everybody was great. Great location if you want to get away from all the noise. Great service. Away from Waikiki Beach and all the traffic and people. We loved it here!

So close....yet so far away!!

by agapotravel about The Kahala (Formerly Kahala Mandarin)

On Oahu...The Kahala was a dream! It is located about 10 minutes from Waikiki, so you are still close to everything, but you aren't crammed into all of those hotels, trying to share the beach with a million people. It has its own beach - Kahala Beach...beautiful, clear water. The staff don't just speak to you....they call you by name (from the front desk to the cleaning staff). Everyone made us feel so welcome! Our room was gorgeous, too! It was a fantastic place to stay!

Hanauma Bay on a full moon...

by LadyL

Hanauma Bay on a full moon night. Kahala Hilton ocean view room and having breakfast on your ocean front patio. Body surfing in Kihei in Maui. Smell of tropical flowers as you walk through Waikiki. Traditional Hawaiian music.

Pleasant stay at the Kahala

by TripAdvisor Member Travel147

Memorial Day weekend at the Kahala was very pleasant. The hotel is beautiful with an impressive lobby, lounge, and gardens. It's in an upcale, low key neighborhood that is only a 10 minute drive to Waikiki, but a world away in feel. I was impressed by the room....spacious and well furnished. We had a standard room, but it felt like a jr suite. The minibar was strange.....just filled with water, and if you wanted anything else you had order and pay for it in advance.....which kind of takes away the convenience of the minibar. Housekeeping was excellant. We ate Cabanas, Plumeria, and Honu's....the food ranged from good to excellant. Their signature restaurant, Hoku's was closed for renovations. Service at the Veranda lounge and in pool area was hit or miss, sometimes extremely attentive and other times nonexistant. The front door staff/valet was excellent. The concierge staff was also very good. The hotel has an artificial lagoon with several dolphins, and they were fun to watch. You can pay for an upclose encounter, but I don't know if the dolphins really appreciate that. Overall I would give this hotel four and a half stars.....I think it's the most upscale in Honolulu....I liked it more than the Halekulani....and except for a few service issues, it was a very nice stay.

Kahala is a Hawaiian word that means"very overrated"

by TripAdvisor Member BigdaddyJules

Where do I begin to express my disappoinment? Should I start with my dark, out dated, moldy room (which was a $600+ per night suite of the Dolphin Lagoon), or should I begin with the pool which was on a par with a Motel 6? The signature restauraunt, Hoku's, is touted as one of Honolullu's top 5 restaurants. The sushi tasted like it came out of a bait bucket. Kahala is on the list of "Leading Hotel's of the World." I've been lucky enough to stay at a number of hotels on this list and can say with a great deal of certainty that Kahala has no place on this list.

We stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui prior to arriving at the Kahala. There, we expereinced a true 5 star experience and property. Had I paid $250 a night and had the Kahala been billed as a 3 to 4 star resort, I wouldn't complain. But Kahala seeks to compare itself to those other properties and this is a gross and flagarant misrepresentation. This property needs a complete overhaul, the rooms desperately need updating and the pool (which was closed our last day there) must be redone.

The staff tries to do what they can. They are courteous and the service is prompt. But in the final analysis, they cannot ressurect this dying old man of a hotel. Please don't make the same mistake I did and waste your money.

paradise lost

by TripAdvisor Member jerseysurf

After 15 years of visiting this property, I have seen it for the last time. It is recently under new ownership and management, and the transition has been anything but seamless. When I arrived, I was not greeted as a return guest, even though I have stayed there 9 times in the last 15 years. Then after checking into my room, the bathroom garbage had not been emptied from the guest before me. The manager was very apologetic, and removed it right away.

When I made my way to the pool, I was saddened to see that many of the employees I have become familiar with had not been kept during the transition. More astounding at the pool, was the fact that the kiosk was actually selling pens for $1. This was a 5-star hotel (down-graded to 4-star in Dec. 2005) and know they are selling simple ink pens for $1. These are the same pens that are in the rooms, and that are located throughout the hotel. I can't think of a more nickel-and-dime move.

It was clear that the workers at the pool were new, and probably never worked in that setting before. There was constantly a manager or supervisor assisting them, seeming to hold their hand through every kayak rental or snorkel purchase.

When I went to the fitness center(which has great equipment) for a Yoga class at 10 A.M., I was told by the girl behind the counter, "the instructor did not show up, I'm really sorry but class is cancelled." This was a disappointment, however I just did my own yoga stretches, and felt better about my vacation.

The property is so beautiful, and that remains even though they are removing trees it seems like everyday. I just felt like I got to a different hotel when I got there. I traveled over 5000 miles from the East Coast to go to what was my favorite place in the United States. There are more Californians who stay at this hotel that people from the east coast, so I think it is time for my Hawaii experience to move to another island, perhaps the big island of Hawaii or Kauai. If you are a frequent guest of the Kahala Hotel, you will see first hand of what I am writing about. What used to feel like a home in paradise, now feels like a large, unfamiliar space on a beautiful tract of land.

Since New Owner, Dissappointing

As the Kahala Mandarin Oriental, this was among the top three places to stay and visit on Oahu and my favorite. Since the Mandarin Oriental sold the hotel, however, it has been a disappointment. The location is still prime and the rooms are lovely but the extra amenities that make a hotel superior are disappearing. The staff still tries its best, but seems to be demoralized. The Plumeria Cafe, which was one of the best places to eat in Honolulu (both for hotel guests and others), is now mediocre at best. Gone is the 'legendary' and delicious lunch and dinner buffet which has been replaced by a limited and tasteless menu. You are better off leaving the premises for your meals and going to the Honolulu Academy or any other venue for excellent food. (By the way, Tokyo, Tokyo--another in-hotel restaurant was equally mediocre in taste and service)The spa too is no longer what it used to be--too many changes and uncertainties. Trully disappointing to see what once was one of the best, most beautiful and relaxing hotels on Oahu loose its lustre. The Kahala Mandarin Oriental was worth every penny; the new Legendary Kahala is well overpriced for what it offers. Sorry.

Hawaiian Nightmare!!

My husband and I went to Hawaii to celebrate our third anniversary. We chose to stay at the Kahala based on its rating and although we read the horrible reviews before we booked the room, we decided to give it a chance anyway. What a mistake!! It was obvious upon entering the hotel that it needed some major updating, it was not exactly what I had expected for $550.00 a night but at that point I still had hope that I would be blown away with the service or perhaps our amazing view, mistake # 2! When we got to our room it smelled of mold and was in desperate need of repair. The wallpaper was peeling from spots on the wall, there were ants in the bathroom and worn paint throughout the room. The canopy that hung over our bed was torn and there were areas of the bathroom that appeared to be filthy. I am not exaggerating. Believe me, I wish I were. We contacted the management, who acknowledged that there had been a deterioration in the property, that they were in the process of getting ideas together for remodeling and offered to move us to another room, sadly, it was under the same conditions, except we had a worse view than our original room. We then asked management if we could move to a newer part of the hotel and they explained to us that we WERE in the newer part, (the Dolphin lagoon area.) Thus began our vacation, which consisted of poor service, (it took 30 minutes to get an umbrella and the same amount of time to get a server poolside, that is IF the pool was open, as it was closed one day.) a dissapointing dinner at Hoku, and service that was far less than five stars. I could go on and on, but the fact is that our stay at the Kahala nearly ruined our vacation. Instead of creating an atmosphere of luxury and and five star service, the Kahala makes you feel as if your in a hotel who's hayday has come and gone, (i.e. the weathered picture of celebrities from the early eighties still proudly dispalyed on the walls) and refuses to acknowledge it. The Kahala is a 3 star hotel AT BEST and it's time for the owner and management to acknowledge this and either close for full remodeling or bite the bullet and change it's prices to reflect it's severe deterioration.

The room was amazing!

My children&husband arranged a belated Mother's Day stay at the hotel for me&i felt like royalty during my stay. The chocolate was so good that was waiting for me when i entered the room. I had dinner at the Plumeria restaurant&drinks at the cabanas. The room was so beautiful&i had a wonderful stay&plan on going back again.

Kahala HiltonKahala Hilton

Kahala Mandarin OrientalKahala Mandarin Oriental

Kahala BeachKahala Beach

AT THE ENTRANCE LOOKING TOWARD KAIMUKI AND KAHALAAT THE ENTRANCE LOOKING TOWARD KAIMUKI AND KAHALA

Kahala hotel - within walking distance of Waikiki?

by wanderingbtrfly

My family is looking into the Kahala Hotel & Resort near Waikiki for our next vacation. Our travel styles are different (2 of us love relaxing and the beach; another of us loves the city), and we're trying to find a central place for all of us, so we don't end up splitting up all day. We heard the Kahala is within walking distance to Waikiki, but we've also heard there is a 10 minute drive between the two. Does anyone know how far away they are from each other, in walking terms? We will be renting a car, but we would like a good hotel that has easy access to the city, yet isn't in the heart of Waikiki.

by wanderingbtrfly

Sorry - I meant to attach the website link: http://www.kahalaresort.com/maps-directions-transportation.cfm

by Hensly

The Kahala resort is a beautiful hotel complete with a Dolphin Quest evironment. However, it is NOT in walking distance from Waikiki. That is unless you enjoy a three mile walk (one way). The Kahala is within driving distance between Waikiki and Hanauma Bay. A great place to stay but it can be a little pricey. Hope this helps!

by wanderingbtrfly

Thank you very much! You just saved my mother :)

by Maryimelda

Yes the Kahala Resort is way too far away from Waikiki to walk, however it is a fabulous place to stay. It has all the amenities you could possibly want and a whole lot of class as well. Set in the most beautiful of locations near Diamond Head. Transport to Waikiki is quite good and buses come regularly.

by Rixie

I agree with the previous posters. I would not try to walk to Waikiki from the Kahala. Other factors you have to consider when walking are the heat and humidity. A certain distance may be an easy walk in Seattle weather, but you'd end up with heatstroke trying it in Honolulu.

Sea life park and cheap car rental for under 25 year olds in waikiki

by fluroyellow

Hi has anyone done the dolphin adventure in sea life parks. is it worth it?

Also can anyone reccommend a cheap car rental place for christmas day for 23 year old driver>
Thanks

RE: Sea life park and cheap car rental for under 25 year olds in waikiki

by RogerOma

Tradewinds has gotten very good reviews from several people not just for renting to people under 25 but for low rates as well.
As for Sea Life Park seen mixed reviews on it some have said short amount of time and very limited contact you might try a search here and on tripadvisors. We went to Kahala Hotel and they have a Dolphin Encounters program I believe it costs a little more so you might try and compare the two.

Golfing on Oahu

by NancyNova

Greetings!
My friend and I will be on Oahu for five days in early September. We have some business things, but will have several days free until early evening. I've gotten some great ideas on what to do, from posts here, but cannot find anything about golfing.

I know there are many courses,and can find their websites, and rates, etc., but they all look so beautiful it's hard to know where to choose. We will probably only get to play once, so we want to make it as memorable as possible. So, I turn to my friends at VT for advice.

Any suggested courses, or any to avoid? Are there any "hidden jewels"?
If it makes a difference, I am a complete beginner but my friend is better. We will also have to rent clubs.

Thanks for any suggestions, tips or advice!

Re: Golfing on Oahu

by YVRDave

The course at The Kahala Hotel is where they play the Hawaiian Open

Re: Golfing on Oahu

by Jhylia4169

Aloha,

My husband & I golf quite frequently. We are partial to certain courses, but like to change every once in awhile to up our playing skills. Here are a few nice courses with majestic views and reasonable green fees. Royal Kunia Golf Course - 7,007 yards of golf from the longest tees for a par of 72 (2 blocks from our house and our home course); Ko'Olau Golf Course (which was rated #1 by Golf Magazine)- 72 Par course at 7,310 yards; Waikele Golf Club - 18 holes, Par 72 at 6,261 yards; Pearl Country Club (one of the finest courses on Oahu - open to the public - 18 Holes, Par 72 at 6,230 yards;

Hope you get a hole in one!!!

Good luck & enjoy your trip!
Have a great day!