The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach
Expedia.com Travelocity Orbitz.com

Costs 30% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Wonderful hotel with best location

We stayed at this hotel on Thanksgiving weekend for 4 nights before boarding a cruise out of Honolulu. I was very pleased that even though our “City View” room was on the side of the hotel, I could still see the beach from the balcony (or lanai as the Hawaiians call it) when I went out on it and we even watched the sunset over Waikiki Beach from the balcony. The room was very nice and a great size. The decor was subtle and plain but there were Hawaiian touches, like the hula girl lamp. The walls seemed thin though. I’m a light sleeper and was awaken by our neighbors and people talking loudly in the halls a few times. There was also a buzzing sound that drove me bonkers for about 30 minutes on the first night before Chris identified the noise as the air conditioning. (I have this thing were sounds drive me crazy unless I know what it is.)

The staff was very helpful and friendly. When the bellman brought our bags to the room, he explained all of the room and hotel amenities and answered any questions we had. We didn’t have enough change to tip him well but we tipped him again the next time we saw him. He must have remembered us because he later saw me in the gift shop looking at the bamboo beach mats. He called us over to him and took us to a closet where they kept beach stuff abandoned by other guests and let us take our pick of mats and floating rafts! How nice of him!! Anyway, I thought that was awesome. Valet parking at the hotel was a pain. The staff was always courteous and quick to bring the car but the sidewalk in front of the hotel was so busy that every time we pulled into the hotel garage, I was worried we’d hit someone. The staff tries to stop the pedestrians but sometimes they ignore them. To me, valet parking in general is a pain because you have to have someone bring the car around every time you leave or just need to get something out of the car.

The hotel was very busy but we were there during Thanksgiving. Sometimes we had to wait a bit for the elevator and the public areas got pretty crowded. We didn’t eat any meals other than breakfast there but the restaurants looked like they had quite wait during dinner when we walked by. We had the buffet breakfast at Duke’s two mornings and liked it a lot. I LOVED the view from Duke’s. It’s really something to have your breakfast a stone-throw’s away from the sand. The buffet also had a nice variety of good quality food. They even had Portuguese sausage, a local favorite, and of course fresh pineapple! The buffet comes with coffee, tea, and juice. Definitely get the POG juice (passion, orange, and guava)! I’m not a fan of passion fruit or guava but I liked my POG! Definitely the best thing about this hotel is the location, in the middle of Waikiki. It’s surrounded by shops, including International Marketplace and 2 ABC Stores across the street. I wish we had more time to take walk around the Waikiki area because the hotel was in the perfect spot for that so I highly recommend this hotel if you want to be the middle of all the action!

Unique Quality: Right on the beach, Hawaiian touches, Duke's restaurant

• csordila's Profile Photo

The very best location on Waikiki

If you are looking for luxury, you will not find it here, but everything seems clean and taken care of. If you are looking for a room in a great location with good food and drink, a nice pool and lounge area, then this might be the one for you.

The hotel lies directly on the beach, in the center of Waikiki, in the near of everything. But perhaps the best thing about the location is the fact that you can walk from your room barefoot to the pool, or immediately to the beach.
    The small pool with a lot of comfortable sun-beds around is filled up with sea water, but clean and temperate. Drinks are rather expensive, but not far there is a store where you can buy some cans to take to the pool with you.

There are three restaurants inside the building: the Hula Grill Waikiki is first of all for breakfast, Duke’s Canoe Club, the most popular open-air beach bar and Chuck's Steakhouse in Diamond Head corner of lobby level with steaks, fresh seafood and salad bar.

Unique Quality: The hotel has earned Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau's respected Kahili Award for guest programs that promote Hawaii’s rich heritage.
    Services: free Internet access; safe; direct-dial toll-free and long-distance calls; fridge; coin-operated laundry; coffeemaker, aso.
    Hawaiian Airlines flight check-in available in the lobby.

Directions: 9 miles from Honolulu International Airport, 4 miles from downtown Honolulu, 1/4 mile from Kapiolani Park, in the near of Fort DeRussy Miliary Museum and Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center

• SunsetAngel's Profile Photo

Never a dull moment

Initially, my experience with this hotel was terrible. This was because the travel company I had used had make a huge mistake and not booked a room for my stay, then when I arrived at the hotel I was told there were no rooms! The member of staff (Greg) was truly awful and left me in tears as he told me to "Sleep on the beach as it would be more fun"! Just to explain....I was a lone female from England in Oahu to see to U2 concert. Anyway, I was lucky enough to grab a room at the Hyatt for three nights and then went back to the Outrigger and asked to speak to the manager. Amazingly, she offered me a delux ocean view room for the remainder of my stay and apologised for the treatment I got from Greg.

Unique Quality: The deluxe room really was beautiful, it also had a jacuzzi which you could sit in whilst you looked out across the ocean! The room was quite small but the quality made up for this so it was no big deal.

Directions: Literally on the beach in Waikiki.

More about The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

Waikiki's best location/hotel

by rustysmom about Outrigger Waikiki on the beach

We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach Jan.24-27, 2007. It was great: the staff was friendly and helpful, the hotel was sited right on the beach, the room was reasonable and had a partial ocean view and modern amenities, and the hotel restaurants afforded a view every evening of the gorgeous Hawaiian sunsets. Hotel was right in the middle of the action, with an active nightlife and lots of do within walking distance. We also took the public bus to Pearl Harbor, Chinatown and Diamond Head. We would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Waikiki. -small pool
-right on Waikiki beach
-great restaurants for beach and sunset watching
-clean, modern accommodations
-free internet and free calls to the mainland
-friendly, helpful staff

Hotel + Car combo packages

by GK2005 about Waikiki Outrigger Chain

The Outrigger Waikiki chain normally offers packages such as hotel room and a car for something less than $100 a day (it was $65 4 years back when I stayed there) and this could save a lot of money than renting a room and a rental car separately. The hotel is very close to the beaches and is within walking distance to the beaches. The rooms facing the oceans have a decent view though they are partially obstructed because of the high rise hotel in front of it. But for that price and the proximity to the beach, its definitely worth it. The room also came with a kitchenette and so if you want to make something for yourself, you can pick up

Waikiki: Can't get more beachfront than this!

by lachydragon about Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

The Outrigger Waikiki was a fantastic pace to stay! When you describe a hotel as being absolute beachfront....you are talking about one like this. A quick trip down in the elevators, across the lobby and the pool deck and you have your toes in the sand all in a matter of moments!

In a stroke of luck, we got a fantastic upgrade to teh 12th floor right in the middle and had the most sensational views from the balconies (or lanai's as they are known in Hawaii). We could look left along the sweep of Waikiki beach to the picture-postcard scene of white sand blue water and the distinctive shape of Diamond Head, or right along the beach and other resorts - just blocking views to the main part of Honolulu. The views were definitely one of the main selling-points of the hotel but we were also very pleased with the friendliness of staff and the pool area...and of course the ease of access to the beach. It's location was also great being centrally placed along Kalakaua Avenue, close to shopping and the International Marketplace.

Hotel on Waikiki Beach

by diver-x about Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

The first time we went to Waikiki, we stayed at Outrigger Reef and we enjoyed it, but it's a little bit away from the main part of Waikiki Beach. So the 2nd time we decided to stick with Outrigger, this time at the slightly more expensive but more central Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. We found reception to be quite friendly and our bellhop was very helpful and showed us every detail of our room. As for the room, it was spacious, relaxing and we got a partial ocean view, without even asking for it (and without paying for it). We only stayed for 3 nights and our days were packed with activities all over the island so we didn't really get to use a lot of the amenities at the hotel. But overall, I'd say it was a great experience and the location is tough to beat. I enjoyed eating breakfast and having a nightcap at Duke's Canoe Club, which is right downstairs at the hotel. And I especially enjoyed just heading downstairs and out to the beach with the Pacific Ocean straight ahead and Diamond Head to the left, watching the outriggers paddle in and out.

Right Opposite The Beach

by keeweechic about Ohana Waikiki Tower

Ohana Waikiki Tower (Formerly the Outrigger Waikiki Tower) - 9 miles from Honolulu International Airport, 2 mins walk to the beach and a short stroll to the Royal Hawaiian shopping village. The upper floors had a view of Diamond Head. Because of our lengthy stay, we had a junior suite which had its own kitchenette and separate lounge area.
. There is a restaurant in a relaxed polynesian setting with a choice of indoor or outdoor seating. I also enjoyed many of 'the longest happy hour in Waikiki' there. There is daily entertainment. Every evening in the early evening there was a guitarist sitting in the garden setting playing. Our suite was on the first floor overlooking the garden where he played and it was just lovely.

Great Hotel - Delightful Stay

We just returned from an 11 night stay at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. The hotel was fantastic. Our room was a Deluxe One Bedroom Oceanfron Suite and had an amazing view of the beach in all directions.
Hotel's location is ideal with great food & shopping only a few steps away. Renovations of the lobby continue and were a little noisy at times however it was nothing a swim in the beach a few metres away couldn't cure. Will return to this hotel again hopefully in the near future.

nice hotel, good deal!

by TripAdvisor Member nyL888

Stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki for three nights (11/10-13) last week before heading to Maui. I was very pleased with the hotel. First of all, we booked a City View Renovation special (booked via orbitz) for $145/night but we were upgraded to ocean view at no additional cost.
Low tourist season? I didn't even have to ask for an upgrade, they just gave it to us automatically. The rooms were spacious, clean marble baths, and the view was great. The hotel is in a great central location. Can walk everywhere! There was a bit of noisy construction one afternoon but it didn't bother us (probably b/c we are from NY!?) Also I highly recommend anyone vacationing in Waikiki to go on a surfing lesson with Hawaiian Fire Surf School. We went our second day in Waikiki and couldn't stop talking about it even a week later when we were in Maui. The highlight of our 9 day vacation. Highly recommend a stay at the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach if you want good lodging at an affordable cost.

Great Location

The Outrigger on the Beach Waikiki is a nice hotel but keep in mind that renovations are still underway and there was a lot of noise associated with the construction. Brochures state that the renovations should be complete in 2004. If you can tune out the sound of jackhammers while laying on the beach, you'll be OK. You can't beat the location of the hotel. It is beachfront and right across the street from the International Market which stays open late for great souvenir shopping. Duke's is a great bar & grill located beach front within the hotel with live music in the evening (locals even show up for this) and a terrific breakfast buffet. My only other complaint other than the temporary construction noise is how thin the walls are in the rooms. We could hear our neighbors pretty well. Oh well, you're there to be on the beach and for sightseeing so I could easily overlook that. Waikiki beach is crowded (we were there in Nov) so be prepared to get there early to stake out your real estate and don't be surprised if someone sets down their towels inches away from yours after it starts getting packed. Rent a car and find a more secluded beach.

I would definately return to this hotel for its location and restaurants!

In the background: Outrigger Waikiki on the BeachIn the background: Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

Art Gallery in the Outrigger Waikiki on the BeachArt Gallery in the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach

View from our room, Outrigger WaikikiView from our room, Outrigger Waikiki

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach or the Hilton Hawaiian Village

by hayesjones

Can anyone give any opinions on which would be the better hotel to stay. We are looking at the HHV or the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach. They are both offering us the same rate.
We are in our 30's and have no children.
Thanks!!

by aloha088

Hi there, do you mean the Outrigger Reef on the Beach? I don't know the Outrigger Waikiki. But I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and it was absolutely fantastic. It's a littlebit outside of Waikiki, but the hotels offers a lot and the beach is not crowded as Waikiki Beach.
check out their homepage: www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/

have fun,
Jacqueline

by joesorce

Both are very nice, it's really a toss-up. I know that the lower-priced rooms at both properties do not have an ocean view.

You might call each hotel and ask if they have an "entertainment card rate" for your dates of stay. Sometimes this card can save you $30 or $40 a night...so it makes it well worth purchasing the card which you can get at entertainment.com

by travelgourmet

The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach is the old Surfrider. Duke's Place is inside and the Society of Seven show. I prefer the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Next to Lewers street and it has the walkway out on the ocean. The best is of course, for overall shopping, dining, and pool on site is the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I prefer the Rainbow Tower beach side for the view. You are away from downtown Waikiki by about 6 blocks is the only drawback or plus, depending on how you view Kalakaua Ave. Most of the action takes place on Kalakaua and Lewers. Aloha oe.

by shaide

I would recomend the Hilton. Personally, I think it's the best hotel that side of the island.

by 2AussieGuys

gday there....now you might have already made up your minds...but I would say definitely the Outrigger Waikiki. It has the best location....good drinking & eating spot at Dukes underneath...and right in the heart of everything. Whilst the Hilton is a great property...the down side is it is just way way too big...overun with children...and whilst well located to Ala Moana shopping...it is a hike back to the main beach/fun area. I know the place like the back of my hand...been there about 20+ times...so feel free to hit me with anymore requests.....cheers

Comments