Waikiki Shore

2161 Kalia Road, (formerly Outrigger Waikiki Shore), Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815-1992, United States
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Waikiki Shore

Best Value on Waikiki Beach

by BethThomasPatterson about Waikiki Shore

The Waikiki Shore is a Condominium located next to Fort DeRussy Park, right on Waikiki. It is the only Condo located on Waikiki and is co-owned by Castle Properties, The Outrigger Hotel Chain and Private Owners. A great deal- cook your own meals and eat on your Lanai, enjoy spectacular fireworks displays on Fridays from the Hilton Hawaiian Village (located on the other side of Ft DeRussy), and enjoy the conveniences of home (washer/dryer, stove, coffee) while enjoying paradise. The best feature? A BATHTUB! You'll find that many hotels in Oahu do not offer Bathtubs, as a method of water conservation.
Check out VBRO.com for a private condo rental at this place, or check directly with your travel agent about booking with Castle or Outrigger. Convenient, beautiful location, DIRECTLY on the beach (no cross streets or alleys), Beach Services-Surf boards, boogie boards, snorkel masks, etc. Outrigger Hotel services available at the Outrigger Reef On the Beach (only if booked through Outrigger properties), ABC store within walking distance, located in the heart of Waikiki BeachWalk, the newest "hotspot" in waikiki- Trump Tower, new restaurants, etc.
This place is within 1/2 block to the BEST Scooter Rentals- Island Scooter Rentals, as well as a cute Italian restaurant called Arancino de Mare. Also within 1 block: the Post Office, the #8 Bus Stop (Ala Moana) and a BBQ facilities in Ft DeRussy Park.

Great Place to Stay

This was our first trip to Hawaii and the stay at the Castle Waikiki Shore was great. With the green space on the one side of the building made the view of the ocean and sunsets great. We were on the 8th floor and I would not want anything below the 6th floor.
We will stay here again!

Location, location, location

When planning our first trip to Hawaii, I checked the Internet for information about accommodations. Most, if not all, of the places I checked received mixed reviews, as was the case with review of the Castle Waikiki Shore. Castle Waikiki Shore is billed as an ocean-front condominium.

My wife and I decided to stay at the Castle Waikiki Shore and booked a deluxe ocean-view studio from July 22-28, 2005. We were a little concerned about the "view" because of numerous comments that the view from lower floors was not really "ocean view" but obscurred by a number of things. We were also concerned that we might feel like the place was a "dump," especially considering that we were leaving our luxurious accommodations at the Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas. We were worried that Hawaii would be a big letdown.

Well, let me say that we did not have a problem with the view. We were on the 15th floor, which is the top floor, and the view was magnificent. I have never had an ocean view room anywhere that compared to the view from our room. We also did not experience the pain of feeling like we were staying in a dump either. Although the room certainly did not compare to the Venetian, it was very neat, extremely clean, and nicely decorated.

We had read complaints about the elevator being slow, but we did not experience any unusual delays here. If there were any, we certainly should have experienced them being on the top floor. Once on the elevator, we felt that the speed in getting to the ground floor was very fast. We could usually leave our room on the top floor and be standing on the beach in less than five minutes (which included a stop by the front desk for complimentary beach towels). When they say this is beachfront property, they really mean it.

Our time in Waikiki was supposed to be in one of the "busy seasons," but the beach near the condo was uncrowded in our opinion. Our first venture into the water confirmed what many reviewers had written---the bottom was very rocky. The beach itself is sandy--the rocks are in the water. A quick 3-minute walk to the local "ABC" store (this is the name of a chain of stores and not the same as the ABC stores in Virginia!) to purchase some reasonably-priced surf shoes (about $15 a pair) which solved the problem of walking on the rocks. My wife liked the water because of the absence of large waves and the fact that the water was so clear that you could see the bottom no matter how far she walked out into the ocean. The condo does not have a pool of its own, but I am not sure why anyone would want to come to Hawaii to swim in a pool anyway. I did read in Frommers Guide to Hawaii that guests of this condo could use the Outrigger's facilities, but we did not do this because we liked the ocean better. The Outrigger Hotel is next door (about 10 feet through a private entrance) to the condo.

We also read complaints about the maid service not servicing the room every day (which is unusual for a condominium anyway), but we did not have a problem with this either. In fact, we found that the maid service was extraordinarily thorough. We often stayed in our room with the "do not disturb" sign on the door well past the initial round of the cleaning service, but the maids ALWAYS returned and thoroughly cleaned our room. A pigeon was particularly fond of hanging out on the ledge of our balcony and usually the pigeon would "soil" the tile on the edge. Believe this or not, but the maids even cleaned up this area everyday. Of course, fresh towels were supplied daily.

We did not use the kitchenette in our studio to cook any meals, but we did use the refrigerator to keep some bottled water cool. I checked the kitchen supplies anyway and found them to be clean and in good condition.

The Castle offers parking for hotel guests at $12 a day, which seems to be a reasonable price. We rented a convertible from Budget and parked here for the duration of our stay. We problably didn't need to rent a car because almost everything we needed was within easy walking distance of the condo. In fact, we walked to every restaurant for all of our meals during our stay. If you want to save a little money, I would forget the rental car and take the bus and trolley around the island.

If you like to read travel books, you might want to check Frommers Guide to Hawaii for their recommendation on places to stay in Waikiki. The Castle Waikik Shore received two stars (3 maximum) and was rated a "find." For the price and location, I do not think you can go wrong here.

Perhaps the most unique point about this condo is the front desk. During our stay we only saw two people working the front desk, and both of them were GREAT people--the kind of people you would like to be your neighbors. They were VERY friendly and seemed EAGER to help. In fact, they seemed almost unhappy if they could not lend assistance or give information to us to make our stay more enjoyable. This is something that we did not get at the Venetian!

The only problem I can see with staying here would be if you got a room that did not have a good view (which I assume from other reviews can happen if you are staying on one of the bottom floors). If you would like to stay here, I suggest calling Castle Waikiki Shore directly and booking your room with them. If you book early enough, I believe they would accommodate your request to be placed on a higher floor (15th floor is great!).

I have added some pictures taken from our balcony and one taken on the beach in front of the condo.

If we can make it back to Hawaii, I would love to stay here again. I have no complaints about our accommodations or vacation time spent in Waikiki.

What a Great Place

Just got back from an 8 day stay at the Waikiki Shore 16 Aug to 23 Aug 05. This was our first trip to Oahu and we had an absolutely fantastic time.
My husband and I had searched the web extensively regarding accomodation and let me tell you that our accomodations were exactly as expected and as shown on the web site. We had an Ocean View Studio Room on the 11th floor. The views were nothing more than spectacular, a bit of advise though if making a booking, request a room on a higher floor I would say 8th floor and up just to be on the safe side otherwise you would only have park views and palm trees. The room was very clean, had a kitchenette and washing machine & dryer which was very convenient. The Lanai was adequate and we were able to sit and have breakfast there as well as drinks to watch the beautiful sunsets. The staff were excellent and very helpful, our rooms were cleaned daily with fresh linen etc. There are no facilities at the Waikiki Shore for Activities/Pool/Restaurants etc however the Outrigger Reef is just next door and we were able to use all the facilities there with the exception of the pool but who wants to swim in a pool when you have the ocean just outside your front door. The Waikiki Shore is so convenient within walking distance to downtown Waikiki, Shopping, Restaurants, Public Transport etc. We had read reports that it was noisy, this was not the case. Yes they are doing work in Lewers Street, but that did not effect us in any way. Actually we felt that it was most peaceful overlooking Fort De Russey and the Ocean and away from the hustle right in downtown Waikiki. We had such a Great Time we cant wait to get back and this time we will be taking our whole family.

We went to Hawaii in 2004 and are returning this year at the same time. We are staying at the Waikiki Shores again. I had gone online and looked at the Waikiki Shores and the rooms are furnished exactly as pictured. While we were there we were allowed to look at the one and two bedroom suites. We stayed in a studio. We had such a wonderful view of the ocean and the mountains. The staff is just wonderful, they are so helpful. What we especially liked about the condo is that it was totally secured. No one but guests could get on the property.

Excellent Choice

by TripAdvisor Member anneofthieves

My husband and I just returned from 8 days in September at the Waikiki Shores. I researched for weeks before I settled on this place and then worried that we might be disappointed. We definitely were not. (Speaking of research, there is no better tour book available than "Oahu Revealed." There is a "revealed" book for most of the islands, published by Wizard Publications, a Hawaii publisher. They are the absolute best Hawaii guidebooks, bar none. Their web site is also an excellent supplement to the books.) If you want hustle bustle Disney-like atmosphere in fancy schmancy surroundings, pick somewhere else. The Waikiki Shore was a perfect blend of under-stated and authentic Aloha spirit, comfort, convenience, economy and stunning views. I'd go back without hesitation. We were very pleased with the Waikiki Shores. Specifically...

Cost:
Book early and do not pay rack rate. There were 2 of us in a "Deluxe Ocean View Studio." Our average price per night was $188 and worth it in every way. Local calls are $1. They don't nickel and dime you to death.

Comfortable!
We had room 1204. There are 14 or 15 floors (forgot to check.) The rooms are numbered going back from the front of the building (1201 nearest the beach - we were 4 "back" from the beachfront. When you book, ask for high up and near the front.) While not large, the studio was not crowded at all for the two of us. Plenty of drawer space, closet space, and "moving around" room. The bed was two twins together in king size. Plenty of pillows. The bathroom was fine. The tub is square and the size of your average shower stall, but the shower was excellent, with good water pressure. Bathing and toilet are in their own space with a door. The dressing room was spacious and the washer/dryer and closet are located there. It is also separated from the main area with a door. The AC was adequate, although a little noisier than I would have preferred. Not a problem, really, as it also masked city noises at night. The space is not "luxurious". But it was comfortable, attractive and clean.
Drawback? There is only one sitting chair inside, so if we weren't on the lania (2 chairs with table) we couldn't both sit and read or watch TV (basic cable.)

The kitchen:
Quite adequate for very simple food (the frying pan was awful!) with a frig, microwave and 4-burner gas stove. There was service for 4 of everything. Dishwashing liquid as wells as dish, hand and paper towels were all provided, and coffee enough for 1 pot if you put both the regular and decaf in at the same time. No salt and pepper. Wash your own dishes. There was a counter for working and eating with stools, if you didn't wish to eat on the lanai.
Drawbacks? They don't provide salt and pepper, supplies so basic and cheap that it surprised us not to find them.

Economy/Food:
With a kitchen, you can make your own breakfast and/or lunch and save a ton of money (well, dinner too, if you're inclined.) You can keep cold beverages, fresh fruit, meal makings and snacks handy. You also avoid the need to eat - and pay for - huge, overly caloric and expensive food at every meal. There is a Mickie-D's across the street, and a Starbucks next door. The Chef's Hut next door provides some room service. We didn't try it.
Drawback? None, really, except a breathtakingly bad frying pan... and no salt and pepper.

Cleanliness/Provisions/Other:
The rooms and linens were clean, towels large and fluffy (beach towels for the asking at the front desk. Get a beach mat for about $1.50 at a neaby ABC store if you are a big beach sitter.) They provided bar soap, body wash, shampoo and lotion, as well as Tide, dish soap, tea and coffee. These were replenished daily, except for the Tide, which we could have for the asking. The daily maid service refreshed towels as needed, mopped, changed the bed, emptied trash and replenished supplies. I think she vacuumed, at least sometimes. They did not do our dishes or mess with our general clutter. We were highly satisfied with the maid service and quite comfortable. There is no desk, no internet connection and no video games - none of which were needed or missed. (There is an internet cafe on the main level. Ask for it.)
Drawback? None ... except that no salt and pepper thing.

Noise:
Our neighbors were pretty quiet and we tried to be also, especially in the wee hours, or early in the morning. We had no neighbors on the south side. The walls seem thick enough. The presence of the park next door probably helps minimize city noise. No construction noise that I noticed.
Drawback? Keeping in mind that this is a city, there was no great problem with outside noise EXCEPT ... when the ocean dumped sand on the beachwalk on the Fort deRussy beach, right below Waikiki Shores' lanais, the "sidewalk cleaner" gets started before dawn to put it back on the beach. That is a unique sound and you'll wake up the first time you hear it going "what the heck IS that?" It wasn't every morning, but it did happen.

Beach and other stuff:
Go anywhere on any beaches you wish. (There is apparently no such thing as a private beach in Hawaii, although access can sometimes be highly restricted, but not in Waikiki.) You get to use the amenities of the Outrigger next door so their beach rentals are available. If you eat at the Shorebird, try the Vegetable Spring Rolls. To die for as lunch, or as a dinner appetizer (with the impressive salad bar, it's dinner.) You can use Outrigger's activity desk, which helped us get a car one day for a day trip. With absolutely no advanced warning, they had Thrifty outside our door in 30 minutes to pick us up (although we could have walked if we'd had to.) Their bell service is available for stowing luggage temporarily, and hospitality rooms are available for a quick clean up and change clothes on check out day if you have a late flight. (Allow PLENTY of time for the hospitality rooms as you may have to wait.) Their shuttle service to the airport was reasonable and reliable. Make a reservation. You can get a shuttle from them TO the Shores as well. Call and check before you go. A cab ride is about $35 and no wait. Shuttle is $9 p/p and you will wait at the airport.
Drawback? The Outrigger lobby has almost no seating and lots and lots of selling. Both it and pool can only be described as "frantic." We spent almost no time there, so didn't really care and it doesn't spill over to Waikiki Shores at all. I did appreciate that they had a photo shop where I could get my digital camera cards transferred to CD ($5 to $7 depending on card size) in less than 10 minutes, so I could keep reusing them.

Elevators:
Absolutely no problem with the elevators at Waikiki Shore, ever. We never waited more than about 90 seconds for an elevator, up or down.
Drawbacks? There was no salt or pepper on them, either.

Security:
Actual keys (nothing electronic!) but the lobby is small and watched carefully and access to elevators and room areas is restricted by your keys. I felt quite safe and we had no problems. Security is also on the grounds, which are watched by camera surveillance. There is a safe in the room. It's included.
Drawbacks? There was no salt or pepper in the safe.

Parking: No idea. We didn't keep a car.

Views:
We were on the 12th floor. I can't comment on any others. From our lania on the west side we saw what you see in the photos I have attached. From the walkway out our front door on the east side of the building we could watch the sunrise, admire Diamond head and watch the surfers in Waikiki. If the sunset gets boring on the west side (!), you can take your lanai chairs to the east side and sit for a while.

Serendipity:
In addition to being able to see all the way west to the marina from our lanai, we also had a view of the beach and overlooked Fort deRussy park where the Hale Koa hotel (House of the Warrior) is located. You can go there and enjoy their relatively quiet beach and exquisite grounds without hindrance. Walk through the park or along the beach and explore the exquisite gardens of the Hale Koa (It's a military recreation center, so most uses are restricted to military and DOD, but you can certainly relax in the park and the comfortable, relaxed and quiet lobby or on the gorgeous grounds. There is a little "quick" shop under the lobby by the grand staircase that will sell to you. It's independent. (NO taxpayer money used for the Hale Koa, by the way - it's self-supporting.)

You will also have a seat on your lanai for the Friday night fireworks at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, if they actually go off (which they don't always, apparently.)

Conclusion: Aloha and mohalo to everyone there. We had a wonderful time and hope to return someday.

Best Location in Waikiki

We have just returned from 10 days in Waikiki. We stayed at the Waikiki Shores and were very pleased with our experience. The staff were very friendly and courteous and took care of all our requests. The daily maid service was a nice inclusion for a condo. We had a second floor one-bedroom, garden-view condo which looked out over the gardens at the Army Museum next door as the reservation promised, and turned out to include an ocean view, which was a pleasant surprise. The location can't be beat--an easy walk to many Waikiki Beach attractions (great shopping, dining, Atlantis submarine pier, etc.). Our 16-year-old did complain that the sofa bed wasn't the best--but that didn't keep her from sleeping on it for many hours at a time! Also, the car parking wasn't ideal (very tight spaces so rent a smaller car). We would definitely stay there again.

Loved The View

We stayed in a one bedroom oean view suite from May 18th through May 31st 2005. We did not come with exceptionally high expectations as we have stayed in Waikiki many times before and most of the hotels are just plain older. However, with realistic expectations we absolutely loved the place. We have two young children and the full kitchen and washer/dryer came in handy. Our room was a nice size and the view from only the 8th floor was fantastic. I think our King Bed was one bed, but the sofa bed that the children slept on was rather lumpy and would probably only do for younger children. We did not hear any noise at all, however we did have our air conditioner on most of the time. We booked through Outrigger so we were able to use their pool and amenities at the next door Outrigger, which our children loved. We also love the Shore Bird
We did have maid service everyday, although they did seem to always time the service to the time our children napped. But they were friendly and helpful. We even ordered room service a couple of days from the next door restaurant. Parking our car was both convenient and safe in the underground garage. We arrived exahusted and left rested. Would definately go back, especially with a family.

Best deal on the beach

by TripAdvisor Member selaboyd

We just spent 7 days at the Waikiki Castle Shore condominiums. Remember - this is not a hotel but a series of condos, so, your experience will vary based on the age and condition of the condo. Our unit (810) was completely redone in 2004 and absolutely gorgeous, as were the views. The beaches were great down a little further towards the Hale Koa. We used Captain Cook resorts to book the condo and they did a great job. We could pick the condo up front and there were pictures and descriptions. Do your homework and you will have a wonderful stay. FAR better then a hotel room, AND you can take advantage of everything surrounding hotels have to offer except the pool (who needs that at Waikiki beach)?

great view of the trees

My family spent seven days at the Wakiki shores. Every day we were amazed at the beauty and the weather. We loved the accommodations, there was enough room for everyone, even with two teenagers, 18 and 16. We were in room 406 a one bedroom ocean view condo. I loved being on the 4th floor, if the elevator was too slow, we just took the stairs, and I don' t like being too high up; so it was perfect for us. The view of the trees and ocean was beautiful. The lanai was very spacious, we ate breakfast their every morning, and never closed the sliding doors. The washer and dryer helped keep the trip stress free for me, I was able to wash our beach towels every day, and other clothes as well. You can sign out the beach towels at the front desk. The front desk was very helpful. they let us keep our luggage their because check out is at 12:00 and our plane did not leave until 10:00 that night. The bus and shuttle service is really fun and a great way to get around. If you want to rent water stuff you can walk right out the gate leading to the beach and it is all right their. I recommend snorkling in the morning beacause when high tides comes in the afternoon, the water will be too murky to see anything. If you want to surf go down to Kuhio beach and rent a surfboard for $8.00 the surf is much better down their. It is just a short walk toward Diamond Head, you'll see all the surfers in the water. My teenagers loved the kayaking, they did that three times. Rent a car and drive around the Island it gives you a true picture of the real Hawaii. In Kaawa is a wonderful restaurant called the Crouching Lion. It is right on the beach and the food is great. I highly recommend staying at the Shores, it was beautiful. We would stay their again. Aloha

Corridor to our cabinCorridor to our cabin

Closeup of the lantern roomCloseup of the lantern room

Leaving the Bishop MuseumLeaving the Bishop Museum

some friends and i at moili'ili bon dance!some friends and i at moili'ili bon dance!

Wanted Condo or Apt Waikiki

by donnakellsey

We are looking for a 2 bedroom/2bathroom oceanview or beach front condo or apartment in Waikiki for the period March 7th to 15th, 2009 (8 nights) in a price range of something less than $400 per night.

by kathymof

Try www..vrbo.com - they have hundreds of apartments listed

by kathymof

Try www.vrbo.com - they have hundreds of apartments listed

by RogerOma

The Waikiki Shore boasts itself as the only oceanfront condos on Waikiki but I believe some of hotels offer condo suites as well.

Outrigger waikki shore condominium

by Rugger

Hi people, me again! Anyone heard of this condo in oahu? Sounds promising but not sure on location?? If anybody knows any other decent condos on waikki beach please let me know. Thanks everyone

RE: Outrigger waikki shore condominium

by YVRDave

Its Great. It is the last building before Fort DeRussy. Unobstructed views over the park

RE: Outrigger waikki shore condominium

by QUINNGIRL

The Waikiki Shore is a great location. I have stayed there several times in a privately owned unit and the views are terrific. Make sure you check on the construction status on Lewers Street.

Help! Can anyone suggest a fun Dinner Cruise???

by hayesjones

My wife and I will be in Waikiki during mid March 05. We are both in our late 30's with no children. We are also planning to stay in the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach, so if anyone can give us some info the hotel it would be super!!

Re: Help! Can anyone suggest a fun Dinner Cruise???

by Blkbelt57

Waikiki is nice, but to experience Hawaii, you have to go to the North Shore.
Can't get lost. Visit small surf town of Haliewa and the Hilton Turtle Bay resort (bus takes you there if you don't have car)
Must see on Oahu:
Hanama Bay (near Waikiki snorkling)
North Shore

If you get a chance, Maui is even better, road to Hanna exceoptional and also Haleakala Volcano trip in the morning is exceptional.

Also, have nude beach on Maui if that interest you.

Best regards,
Doug

by hayesjones

Thanks for the reply. We are now trying to decide between the HHV and Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach. Any suggestions?

by travelgourmet

You are getting mixed signals, the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach is not the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. Thjey are about 6 blocks apart. The Waikiki Shore Condos is located next to the Reef on the Beach, not the Waikiki on the Beach. I feel Outrigger made a mistake in naming the Waikiki and adding "on the beach", it does confuse old timers who only know of the Reef on the Beach. Aloha oe.

by travelgourmet

The question you ask is for a fun cruise, no children. Well, some children might be present, but the "Star of Honolulu" has separate dining experiences with the gourmet "5 Star" top of the line, a limo even picks you up. But more in line with a good time is the "3 Star". See the website: http://starofhonolulu.us
Aloha Oe.

by hayesjones

Thanks so much KonaMax and Travelgourmet for all your help!!!

by travelgourmet

Aloha KonaMax, the Kahaluu Bay Beach Park nearby to the soon to be Outrigger Keauhou Beach Hotel is a wonderful snorkeling area, lucky you. Aloha Oe

Comments