Oahu Hotels

Our Members Say

• spartan profile photo spartan
  • Reviews: 949

Hilton Waikiki Beach: Great place to stay and a block away from Waikiki

Had the opportunity to use Hilton Honor Points for a stay at this wonderful hotel located one block away from Waikiki Beach. Modern facility which offers views of both the mountains and the ocean. From the beginning of your stay until the time you check out, the staff is friendly, helpful and customer oriented. Our room was nicely furnished as well as modern and had all of the amenities one would want (free WiFi for me at least, flat screen TV, mini fridge, safe to keep your valuables, etc.). Please note that Honolulu/Waikiki is notorious for limited parking, so if you plan on renting a car and staying at the hotel, there's only valet parking and it's $28/day. Overall, I would highly recommend staying at the Hilton Waikiki Beach, I know that I will.

There are a number of things which made our stay a wonderful experience. As I previously mentioned, the hotel is well positioned near the beach, there's a bus stop directly out the front door, they provide complimentary towels to use at the pool/jacuzzi or beach, the Mai Tais are delicious and they offer a refreshing glass of water in the lobby...you'll just have to try it!!! I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the outstanding support that we received from Meena the Concierge. She was an excellent source of information, available discounts and helped us rent a car at a better price and location. So if you do stay here, definitely talk and get to know Meena.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written June 19, 2015

• Marilu33 profile photo Marilu33
  • Reviews: 65

Waikiki Prince Hotel: Best Budget Hotel in Waikiki

I researched all Oahu hotels in this price range due to a reduced per diem rate for my husband's long term stay for a temporary work assignment. He was in the hotel for almost two months, I was there for one month and we experienced three rooms while there. My research narrowed down to this hotel for a number of reasons and it lived up to the good reviews posted on this site.

Here's why:
1. Location, location, location! It is behind the Hyatt Regency, one block from the center of the Waikiki Beaches where Waikiki beach ends and Kuhio beach begins. You cross to the beach at the Duke statue, so if you go right that is where all the major shopping starts, left is beach after beach, and these beaches are less crowded than the beaches in front of the big hotels. There is music right near the Duke statue on Tuesday evenings, a fun farmer's market in the same block from the hotel in the quaint King's Village shopping center, and plenty of restaurants all around.

2. Bus and trolley stops are close, one block above and one block below the hotel. The desk staff has a brochure with bus routes and are willing to help you map your route anytime.

3. The staff is wonderful to work with and always helpful.

4. Well planned upgrades to the rooms. The rooms are clean and well maintained and the upgrades to carpets, beds and bedding, Wi-Fi, and flat screen TVs address items you would most want to see up to date. We had routers in two out of three of our rooms and the Wi-Fi was fast and reliable. That was a critical factor for me since we were able to be there for so long. Upgrades to the TV cable service are planned to increase the number of channels and provide HD. I was there when they were working on installing it, and they have encountered some problems in the existing system, so they don't have an eta on this, but it is contracted to happen this year.

5. Security was good. Access to the hotel upper floors is controlled by key cards to the elevator and stairway.

6. Kitchenettes were adequate and generally well stocked with everything working. This was a must for us, but I would think it would be convenient for most folks. Free coffee and tea can be picked up at the office daily.

7. Washers and dryers are available.

8. There was plenty of storage space. Our room on the 3rd floor had an especially large closet and there was ample storage under the bathroom sinks. Fridges were adequate to our needs, but I did defrost freezers in two of the rooms we were in to make room for our frozen items. The humid climate builds ice quickly and there is usually not enough time between check out and check in to defrost.

9. We had no problem with bugs. We did have one transient outdoor bug that was in our room one night, but the room itself was bug free.

10. Rooms are exceptionally shielded from noise coming from other rooms. We never heard any noise over our heads and only seldom any sound from adjoining rooms.

Some other tips and information:
1. Rooms are not made up every day, which was fine with us. The room was done every 3 or 4 days. We could get fresh towels and any other item from the desk between 8am and 8pm.

2. Housekeeping uses the same washers and dryers daily for washing towels and spreads, so I tried to do my wash early or late. Mid day there was usually at least one machine available.

3. The roof top sun deck mentioned in some older reviews is no longer available. I didn't want to use it, the beach is so close, so I didn't mind.

4. The rooms on floors 2 and 3 are a little larger than on 4, and floors 5 and 6 are smaller than floors below, so those rooms are somewhat smaller. We were in rooms on 3 and 4 one above the other and the one on 4 was slightly smaller but still had plenty of room. The elevator stops at the 5th floor, so don't book the 6th unless you are ok with two short flights of stairs.

5. It is not the hotel's fault that the location is noisy, but it is very noisy. We live in a quiet rural area and had a hard time getting used to it. Garbage pickup starts every day-even Sunday, between 6 and 7 am, and there are busses, trucks, sirens, car alarms, and people all making noise all around the hotel and echoing off the nearby buildings. There are several things you can do. Close the jalousies and turn on the air conditioner. That cuts down the noise a lot. I also brought a white noise machine that we used sometimes and I wore good silicone wax earplugs when my husband wanted to sleep with the windows open and the AC off.

In summary, I would stay here again and am enthusiastically recommending this hotel to family and friends. Why pay the exorbitant rates charged by the hotels nearby, when you can be in the same place for so much less? This helps put a Hawaiian vacation into the reach of anyone on a budget without having to sacrifice comfort or convenience.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written January 21, 2015

Room 305, Kitchenette has good storage

Hyatt Regency Waikiki: Great Hotel with a Terrific Location

This was our first stay at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. As we planned our trip we debated several hotel options; some new to us and some old favorites before we chose the Hyatt. We have upper Diamond status with Hyatt as upper end status with several hotel chains so it made it difficult to chose as status equals free perks.

In the end we chose to stay at the Hyatt due to location and that it was a new property for us. I am a Diamond with Hyatt so I knew staying here would afford certain perks that would increase value to the hotel as well. We booked a regular city view room but were upgraded to a Deluxe Oceanfront (which I knew they would do). Unfortunately I couldn't use one of my Suite upgrade certificates as they were all booked up.

Check in was easy,fast and friendly. We arrived late in the evening and just wanted to change and get some food before passing out for the night. We received complimentary leis along with our room keys (we did have a problem with them working so it was back down to the desk to get it fixed).

Our room was on the 26th floor facing the ocean. We had a king bed, large bath room, desk, chair, dresser, TV and large balcony with two chairs and a table. The ocean/beach views were beautiful and the sound of the waves was heaven to us. One night there was an incredible rain storm complete with lightning that we watched from the balcony;quite spectacular. Our stay was very comfortable and we enjoyed the property immensely.

We enjoyed our club access which provided us with free breakfast, snacks and drinks throughout the day. The club had a nice outdoor terrace complete with an herb garden. We did enjoy sitting up here enjoying drinks, snacks and the view. The pool area did look nice but we spent all of our time at the beach; why come to Waikiki and not go to the beach.Service here was very good except for a small problem with housekeeping arriving after 5pm to make up our room. That issue was corrected as soon as we reported it and no issues going forward.

The hotel property itself is divided into two towers. The hotel pool and restaurants are primarily on the third floor. The Lobby level has the check in area as well as shops. The Atrium shops are below the lobby and have a nice assortment of stores to shop till you drop. The hotel is right across the street from the Duke Statue and Waikiki beach which made it very easy to head off to the beach any time of day( Beach/pool towels are available to hotel guests by the pool area. You have to sign out the towels and return them to the desk or else you are charged.) All the shops and restaurants in the area are well within comfortable walking distance. Transportation options such as taxis and buses are plentiful as well.

I think this is a great hotel for the actual property, location and amenities. I will definitely stay here again in the future.

**Our Diamond status not only gave us club acess but parking and resort fees were waived as well during our stay.**

The location of the hotel is excellent. Shopping and restaurants are all within walking distance. The beach is right across the street; which is very convenient without paying the price of a "beachfront" hotel.

• Written January 9, 2015

• littlesam1 profile photo littlesam1
  • Reviews: 1251

The Royal Hawaiian Hotel: Waikiki's crown - The Royal Hawaiian Hotel

There is a reason movies were made at The Royal Hawaiian Hotel. It's is Waikiki's most photographed and best known hotel. You can't miss it. It's big pink hotel on the beach right in the middle of Waikiki. We did not stay here. It was out of our budget. I have a tip on my Waikiki page about the hotel we used which was an excellent choice and within out budget. But if your not on a budget and want to stay in a beautiful luxury and historic hotel The Royal Hawaiian is a great choice. It was built in 1927. It was closed during WWII and used as a hosptital for a time. But today it still retains it's glamour and sophistication from it's origins. If it's good enough for Gidget and Dennis the Menace it's good enough for anyone!

If your not staying a the hotel you can still visit the lobby, shop in the stores, and have the best Mai Tai in Waikiki at the Royal Hawaiin Mai Tai Bar on the beach. We finished several evenings at the Mai Tai Bar before turning in for the evening.

• Written November 17, 2014

Royal Hawaiian Hotel

• kahnjetta profile photo kahnjetta
  • Reviews: 51

The Royal Hawaiian: The Pink Hotel

The Royal Hawaiian Hotel opened in 1927. Rich in history, strong ambassador loyalty, and connection to Hawaiian culture. The hotel is spectacularly located on the famous Waikiki Beach and is close to a number of attractions. From parasailing to catamaran cruises, surfing and snorkeling, you will never be board. The hotel has a variety of shopping, restaurants, and cultural events that are offered on property. Concierge staff are always happy to assist on all your needs. The Royal Beach Tower Pool and Cabanas are the perfect. Private poolside cabanas are available, and the pool attendants are so friendly and helpful on all your needs.

The staff is very friendly and will make your vacation one to remember.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written October 9, 2014

View from our room.

• mlmcoughlin profile photo mlmcoughlin
  • Reviews: 2

Camping around the island: Hawaii Camper Rental

My husband and I stayed in Oahu for a week and rented a camper van from Hawaii Camper Rentals. We have done the normal hotel stay before and wanted to have a once in a life time experience. Well we had it for sure :) The campers are equipped with all your camping needs, including linens and kitchen ware. We were able to drive around the island and camp along the way. One night we caught the sunset in Waikiki and the next morning watched the sunrise in Lanikai.....what an amazing experience!! We honestly were able to go everywhere and stop at any beach along the way. Sleeping in the camper was actually fun! The campers have a "pop top" and sleeps 2 (the back seat also folds into a bed as well). It was comfy and to be able to listen to the ocean at night through the screen is something I will never forget. We had the best trip and cannot wait to go back!

The owners are very flexible and want your trip to be special. They went above and beyond to accommodate and even suggested must see places and activities. One thing to mention is that the campers do not have bathrooms. We learned that no campers on the island are allowed too. But there are public restrooms everywhere! Especially at all the beach parks and there are tons of them. What I thought would be an issue honestly was not.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Camping, Road Trip, Beaches
  • Written May 9, 2014

camping

• Yaqui profile photo Yaqui
  • Reviews: 5059

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wydham Royal Gardens: Excellent !

We own a timeshare and have not been disappointed. We decided to finally make the time for a very overdue vacation. At first, I tried getting into the Outrigger Wydham, but the time frame wouldn't work. So was able to make a reservation here at the Royal Gardens. Now that we stayed here, we were very please. It was quiet and everything is within walking distance of Waikiki. We visited the Outrigger and if your into a very busy place then you would like it there. Our room was considered a studio, which was just fine. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom is small, but clean. We enjoyed the little sink area and I made good use of it since we are huge coffee drinkers and having the frig was great. About one of the best feautures was the balcony. We spent much of time taking in the views, weather, and the little tropical birds that visited us. The Royal Gardens has all the typical amenities most hotels have. Great experience!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Museum Visits, Historical Travel
  • Written April 23, 2014

• ArenJo profile photo ArenJo
  • Reviews: 342

Richard's Waikiki: Great 2 bedroom place in Waikiki

This is a nicely decorated 2 bedroom place with a great view of Diamond Head. It is just a few blocks from the beach in Waikiki. It is also away from the main area, so it is quiet at night which is hard to find in Waikiki. Richard is awesome too. He lives in the same building so if anything happens, he can usually come to the rescue quickly. He is a great human being....very few of them left, especially in Honolulu.
There is a full kitchen and there are two bathrooms. There is also a washer and dryer and he supplies a lot, like shampoo, detergent, etc.
There is a small pool outside near the lobby, but I never seen anyone using it. My son used it and he didn't have any complaints. It just isn't very private.

• Related to: Women's Travel, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written January 19, 2014
Tip Photo

The lanai with a bar and plants.

Celebrity Century: A Great Sky Suite

My wife and I cruised to Hawaaii in February 2013 aboard the Celebrity Century for my 40th Birthday. We chose to stay in one of the Skye Suites. I have to say I loved our room. The location, the size and the huge balcony were amazing. Century is a smaller and older ship in the Celebrity fleet but everythhing in the room was comfortable and clean.

The highlight of our trip was the butler service. Our butler took care of all of our needs aboard the ship. We had unlimited champagne, beverages, fresh flowers in the room and afternoon tea daily. Our butler even sent us dessert to the room every night as a sweet ending to the day.

The balcony for the most part really wasn't worth it until we hit the islands. The crossing from San Diego was rather rough, cold and for the most part rainy so we didn't stay outside long. Once in Hawaii we used the balcony alot; especially when passing by the Big Island at night and watching the lava flow into the ocean...that was a Wow for me. I also loved our morning in Maui; watching the humpback whales giving me a show right in front of our balcony.

• Written December 16, 2013

• Herwig1961 profile photo Herwig1961
  • Reviews: 223

JW Marriot Ihilani: Great Ocean view

Nice room,good service.

Great view,smaller as other hotels around.Quiet compare to other hotels around.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort
  • Written November 26, 2012
Tip Photo

• fishandchips profile photo fishandchips
  • Reviews: 871

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ohana West Waikiki: Ohana West Waikiki

The Ohaha West is one of several Ohaha hotels in the area. It's on Kumio St so in the middle of things and close to the beach. The rooms are tired but clean and the noise is on the low side. It's just up the road from the International Market (lots of nik naks) and has a couple of eating places attached so handy for food. There's even a Denny's across the road if you like that sort of food.......

The hotel has a pool located on level one and has a nice outdoor setting. There's also a bar right beside which is nice if you want a beer but a little on the odd side when travelling with children. Like most USA spots we stopped at, the hotel has free WiFi so you can keep in touch though it only works in the lobby!

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 12, 2012

Ohaha West Waikiki

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3493

Hilton Hawaiian Village: Excellent stay

First, let me just say that we loved this property and can’t wait to get back.

We were staying on 3 Free Night Certificates and one paid stay which I booked in an ocean view room. And even though we’re Diamond I wasn’t expecting to be given the same room for the free nights as the paid night, since the free nights is usually on a basic room.

Upon arrival we were greeted very warmly and thanked for being a loyal customer. I explained to the agent that although we were staying the last three nights on Free Night Certificates, I was hoping that we could keep the same room we paid for. The agent, who’s name escapes me was very nice and told me she would do her best to give us a really nice room as the hotel was completely booked due to the upcoming Pro Bowl. She took her time looking for something and even asked a few times if there was a particular preference. I said high floor and with some view. After some more searching and then asking her manager a few questions, she came back with a partial ocean view room in the Rainbow Tower. She explained the hotel layout (the resort is quite large with about 5 different buildings) and gave us a map of the resort and showed us the location of the Rainbow Tower on the map. I thanked her for her efforts and we were off to our room. As a Hilton Honors Diamond Member I also received a package with an assortment of benefits (I’ll come back with the details)

The Rainbow Tower is one of two buildings that actually faces the pacific ocean. We walked along a path that circled the main pool before getting to the Rainbow Tower. We made our way up to our room which was located on a high floor, can’t recall exactly which. The room was a nice size with a very comfy king size bed, large bathroom, flat screen tv and dresser, a desk , and a very nice size balcony overlooking the Lagoon and a partial view of the pacific. We loved our room and lounged most evenings after dinner in our balcony enjoying some wine in the beautiful Hawaiian evenings.

The grounds of the resort a stunning. They have an assortment of resident animals on the property, including some unexpected penguins. The resort has an assortment of restaurants both casual and upscale as well as a few quick places to grab lunch, drinks or snacks. The service here is top notch. Not once did we encounter any problem what so ever with anything.

Some really good things about the resort. Filming of the revised show Hawaii 5-0 is shot on the premises of the resort. There is a free fireworks show every Friday night at the Waikiki Beach located in front of the resort. The resort has a beautiful salt water lagoon where you can take advantage of some water sports, go swimming, paddle boating, canoeing, etc.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: National/State Park, Beaches, Spa and Resort
  • Written January 17, 2012
Tip Photo

Our King bed for our duration

Moana Surfrider: A Historic Beachfront Hotel

When I was perusing hotels for our first Hawaiian trip together so many options were available. I had always wanted to stay at the Moana Surfrider and I knew its historical significance would appeal to my wife's love of historic hotels and buildings. I also wanted her to have a beachfront hotel with a balcony overlooking the water; which the Moana has in abundance.

The Moana Surfider Hotel is also called, "The First Lady of Waikiki." The hotel is a landmark being the oldest hotel having been built in 1901. The hotel has undergone many renovations and additions since it first opened yet it still maintains it's historic flavor. The building itself is grand with its' large white main house with large porches, verandas and detailing.

When we first pulled up in front of hotel the sight is breathtaking. We hopped out of the cab and our bags were handled by the doorman. We entered the beautiful foyer and lobby; what a sight. The front desk was to the right down a corridor. Check in was a snap and we were handed our room cards. Our room was an Oceanfront Deluxe (Room 3720) in the Diamond Wing. The room was the basic deluxe room with King sized Westin Heavenly Bed, bathroom, Flat screen TV, dresser, desk, chair, ottoman and a beautiful balcony overlooking the water.

The hotel has a gym, pool, spa, two restaurants and the Beach Bar with Veranda Courtyard. The Beach Bar is a great place to grab some cocktails and snacks. The Veranda hosts the Afternoon Tea and Breakfast Buffet. The Beach House serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Banyan Courtyard served appetizers and cocktails.

Our stay here at the Moana was wonderful with few complaints. The towels were okay at best and the room a bit blah but we wanted the location and the view which was incredible. The staff here was very friendly and helpful; truly unbelievable service. We had excellent stay and the hotel was stunning. I think when it comes to service, location and amenities; the Moana is an excellent choice when visiting the area.

My absolute favorite thing about staying here was our balcony. The beach views were incredible. We loved sleeping with the balcony doors open and hearing the crashing waves below; it made for excellent sleeping.

The buffet breakfast at the Veranda was unbelievably good and I would recommend it to anyone.

The Beach Bar was a fun way to hand out and enjoy some cocktails in a beautiful setting.

I liked that the hotel has it's own roped off section of beach along with chairs and umbrellas. Yes, you need to reserve them in advance but it was a nice alternative to fighting the masses on the rest of the beach for a spot in the sand.

Liz and I enjoyed the front Veranda and the rocking chairs. We spent some early morning and late night time rocking away on the Veranda having some good conversation.

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Diving and Snorkeling
  • Written May 17, 2010

Comfy Bed

• coa333 profile photo coa333
  • Reviews: 7

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

JW Marriott Ihilani: Best View of the Lagoon from this hotel.

The Marriott Ihilani had one of the best views I have ever seen. It rivals the view from our hotel room when we visited Bermuda. The Lagoon is right below the hotel and allows the kids to swim and also has an opportunity for you to snorkel in the same lagoon.

The water is turquoise and very calm.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 24, 2010

view from the 9th floor

• mindcrime profile photo mindcrime
  • Reviews: 3828

Continental Surf Hotel: simple but cheap

The majority of tourists choose a hotel at Waikiki. There is a long avenue, Kalakaua Av. That has most of the hotels, one next to the other. Some rooms are nice because you have an ocean view but double check before book anything because you will pay for the view even if the ocean view means a small spot of the water if you hang your head 1 meters out of the balcony! Kuhio avenue has some cheaper options while Lemon Road focuses on the real budget side.

We preferred a hotel at the Kuhio Av (parallel to Kalakaua Av, which means three blocks away from Waikiki beach only) which also houses two rows of high-rise ugly hotels. You can see Continental Surf Hotel at pic 1. The prices are cheaper here and if you are lucky you may have a good city view.

Our room was at 22nd floor and although it was very simple we loved the city view (pic 2) with the non stop traffic day and night (there was no noise up there). The room (pic 3) was very simple but very clean so we didn’t complain, the price was ideal anyway ($65 per night with taxes). The double bed was comfortable as the room it self (160 sq feet). The table with a chair in front of the window was also nice and helpful to put the laptop and check VT :)
There is free wi-fi connection, a microwave, a refrigerator, a coffeemaker, a TV, a safe box (with key) and above all Air Conditioning of course :)

The bathroom was small but clean also and the wife liked the hair dryer, there was also a iron/ironing board in the closet. They provided us with coffee and new towels every day.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average