Oahu Hotels

Our Members Say

• ArenJo profile photo ArenJo
  • Reviews: 324

Richard's Waikiki: Great 2 bedroom place in Waikiki

This is a nicely decorated 2 bedroom place with a great view of Diamond Head. It is just a few blocks from the beach in Waikiki. It is also away from the main area, so it is quiet at night which is hard to find in Waikiki. Richard is awesome too. He lives in the same building so if anything happens, he can usually come to the rescue quickly. He is a great human being....very few of them left, especially in Honolulu.
There is a full kitchen and there are two bathrooms. There is also a washer and dryer and he supplies a lot, like shampoo, detergent, etc.
There is a small pool outside near the lobby, but I never seen anyone using it. My son used it and he didn't have any complaints. It just isn't very private.

• Related to: Family Travel, Luxury Travel, Women's Travel
  • Written January 19, 2014
Tip Photo

The lanai with a bar and plants.

Hyatt Regency Waikiki: Good Stay and Location

This was our first stay at the Hyatt Regency Waikiki. As we planned our trip we debated several hotel options; some new to us and some old favorites before we chose the Hyatt. We have upper level status with several hotel chains so it made it difficult to chose as status equals free perks.

In the end we chose to stay at the Hyatt due to location and that it was a new property for us. I am a Diamond with Hyatt so I knew staying here would afford certain perks that would increase value to the hotel as well. We booked a regular city view room but were upgraded to a Deluxe Oceanfront (which I knew they would do). Unfortunately I couldn't use one of my Suite upgrade certificates as they were all booked up.

Check in was easy,fast and friendly. We arrived late in the evening and just wanted to change and get some food before passing out for the night. We received complimentary leis along with our room keys (we did have a problem with them working so it was back down to the desk to get it fixed).

Our room was on the 26th floor facing the ocean. We had a king bed, large bath room, desk, chair, dresser, Tv and large balcony with two chairs and a table. The ocean/beach views were beautiful and the sound of the waves was heaven to us. Our stay was very comfortable and we enjoyed the property immensely.

We enjoyed our club access which provided us with free breakfast, snacks and drinks throughout the day. The pool area did look nice but we spent all of our time at the beach. Service here was very good except for a small problem with housekeeping arriving after 5pm to make up our room. That issue was corrected as soon as we reported it and no issues going forward.

The hotel property itself is divided into two towers. The hotel pool and restaurants are primarily on the third floor. The Lobby level has the check in area as well as shops. The Atrium shops are below the lobby and have a nice assortment of stores to shop till you drop. The hotel is right across the street from the Duke Statue and Waikiki beach which made it very easy to head off to the beach any time of day. All the shops and restaurants in the area are well within comfortable walking distance. Transportation options such as taxis and buses are plentiful as well.

I think this is a great hotel for the actual property, location and amenities. I will definitely stay here again in the future.

**Our Diamond status not only gave us club acess but parking and resort fees were waived as well during our stay.**

• Written January 8, 2014

Comfy Bed (1/2014)

Celebrity Century: A Great Sky Suite

My wife and I cruised to Hawaaii in February 2013 aboard the Celebrity Century for my 40th Birthday. We chose to stay in one of the Skye Suites. I have to say I loved our room. The location, the size and the huge balcony were amazing. Century is a smaller and older ship in the Celebrity fleet but everythhing in the room was comfortable and clean.

The highlight of our trip was the butler service. Our butler took care of all of our needs aboard the ship. We had unlimited champagne, beverages, fresh flowers in the room and afternoon tea daily. Our butler even sent us dessert to the room every night as a sweet ending to the day.

The balcony for the most part really wasn't worth it until we hit the islands. The crossing from San Diego was rather rough, cold and for the most part rainy so we didn't stay outside long. Once in Hawaii we used the balcony alot; especially when passing by the Big Island at night and watching the lava flow into the ocean...that was a Wow for me. I also loved our morning in Maui; watching the humpback whales giving me a show right in front of our balcony.

• Written December 16, 2013

• Herwig1961 profile photo Herwig1961
  • Reviews: 223

JW Marriot Ihilani: Great Ocean view

Nice room,good service.

Great view,smaller as other hotels around.Quiet compare to other hotels around.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Diving and Snorkeling, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Spa and Resort
  • Written November 26, 2012
Tip Photo

• fishandchips profile photo fishandchips
  • Reviews: 871

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ohana West Waikiki: Ohana West Waikiki

The Ohaha West is one of several Ohaha hotels in the area. It's on Kumio St so in the middle of things and close to the beach. The rooms are tired but clean and the noise is on the low side. It's just up the road from the International Market (lots of nik naks) and has a couple of eating places attached so handy for food. There's even a Denny's across the road if you like that sort of food.......

The hotel has a pool located on level one and has a nice outdoor setting. There's also a bar right beside which is nice if you want a beer but a little on the odd side when travelling with children. Like most USA spots we stopped at, the hotel has free WiFi so you can keep in touch though it only works in the lobby!

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written September 12, 2012

Ohaha West Waikiki

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3266

Hilton Hawaiian Village: Excellent stay

First, let me just say that we loved this property and can’t wait to get back.

We were staying on 3 Free Night Certificates and one paid stay which I booked in an ocean view room. And even though we’re Diamond I wasn’t expecting to be given the same room for the free nights as the paid night, since the free nights is usually on a basic room.

Upon arrival we were greeted very warmly and thanked for being a loyal customer. I explained to the agent that although we were staying the last three nights on Free Night Certificates, I was hoping that we could keep the same room I paid for. The agent, who’s name escapes me was very nice and told me she would do her best to give us a really nice room as the hotel was completely booked due to the upcoming Pro Bowl. She took her time looking for something and even asked a few times if there was a particular preference. I said high floor and with some view. After some more searching and then asking her manager a few questions, she came back with a partial ocean view room in the Rainbow Tower. She explained the hotel layout (the resort is quite large with about 5 different buildings) and gave us a map of the resort and showed us the location of the Rainbow Tower on the map. I thanked her for her efforts and we were off to our room. As a Hilton Honors Diamond Member I also received a package with an assortment of benefits (I’ll come back with the details)

The Rainbow Tower is one of two buildings that actually faces the pacific ocean. We walked along a path that circled the main pool before getting to the Rainbow Tower. We made our way up to our room which was located on a high floor, can’t recall exactly which. The room was a nice size with a very comfy king size bed, large bathroom, flat screen tv and dresser, a desk , and a very nice size balcony overlooking the Lagoon and a partial view of the pacific. We loved our room and lounged most evenings after dinner in our balcony enjoying some wine in the beautiful Hawaiian evenings.

The grounds of the resort a stunning. They have an assortment of resident animals on the property, including some unexpected penguins. The resort has an assortment of restaurants both casual and upscale as well as a few quick places to grab lunch, drinks or snacks. The service here is top notch. Not once did we encounter any problem what so ever with anything.

Some really good things about the resort. Filming of the revised show Hawaii 5-0 is shot on the premises of the resort. There is a free fireworks show every Friday night at the Waikiki Beach located in front of the resort. The resort has a beautiful salt water lagoon where you can take advantage of some water sports, go swimming, paddle boating, canoeing, etc.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Beaches, Spa and Resort, National/State Park
  • Written January 17, 2012
Tip Photo

Our King bed for our duration

Moana Surfrider: A Historic Beachfront Hotel

When I was perusing hotels for our first Hawaiian trip together so many options were available. I had always wanted to stay at the Moana Surfrider and I knew its historical significance would appeal to my wife's love of historic hotels and buildings. I also wanted her to have a beachfront hotel with a balcony overlooking the water; which the Moana has in abundance.

The Moana Surfider Hotel is also called, "The First Lady of Waikiki." The hotel is a landmark being the oldest hotel having been built in 1901. The hotel has undergone many renovations and additions since it first opened yet it still maintains it's historic flavor. The building itself is grand with its' large white main house with large porches, verandas and detailing.

When we first pulled up in front of hotel the sight is breathtaking. We hopped out of the cab and our bags were handled by the doorman. We entered the beautiful foyer and lobby; what a sight. The front desk was to the right down a corridor. Check in was a snap and we were handed our room cards. Our room was an Oceanfront Deluxe (Room 3720) in the Diamond Wing. The room was the basic deluxe room with King sized Westin Heavenly Bed, bathroom, Flat screen TV, dresser, desk, chair, ottoman and a beautiful balcony overlooking the water.

The hotel has a gym, pool, spa, two restaurants and the Beach Bar with Veranda Courtyard. The Beach Bar is a great place to grab some cocktails and snacks. The Veranda hosts the Afternoon Tea and Breakfast Buffet. The Beach House serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Banyan Courtyard served appetizers and cocktails.

Our stay here at the Moana was wonderful with few complaints. The towels were okay at best and the room a bit blah but we wanted the location and the view which was incredible. The staff here was very friendly and helpful; truly unbelievable service. We had excellent stay and the hotel was stunning. I think when it comes to service, location and amenities; the Moana is an excellent choice when visiting the area.

My absolute favorite thing about staying here was our balcony. The beach views were incredible. We loved sleeping with the balcony doors open and hearing the crashing waves below; it made for excellent sleeping.

The buffet breakfast at the Veranda was unbelievably good and I would recommend it to anyone.

The Beach Bar was a fun way to hand out and enjoy some cocktails in a beautiful setting.

I liked that the hotel has it's own roped off section of beach along with chairs and umbrellas. Yes, you need to reserve them in advance but it was a nice alternative to fighting the masses on the rest of the beach for a spot in the sand.

Liz and I enjoyed the front Veranda and the rocking chairs. We spent some early morning and late night time rocking away on the Veranda having some good conversation.

• Related to: Beaches, Diving and Snorkeling, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written May 17, 2010

Comfy Bed

• coa333 profile photo coa333
  • Reviews: 7

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

JW Marriott Ihilani: Best View of the Lagoon from this hotel.

The Marriott Ihilani had one of the best views I have ever seen. It rivals the view from our hotel room when we visited Bermuda. The Lagoon is right below the hotel and allows the kids to swim and also has an opportunity for you to snorkel in the same lagoon.

The water is turquoise and very calm.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 24, 2010

view from the 9th floor

• mindcrime profile photo mindcrime
  • Reviews: 2825

Continental Surf Hotel: simple but cheap

The majority of tourists choose a hotel at Waikiki. There is a long avenue, Kalakaua Av. That has most of the hotels, one next to the other. Some rooms are nice because you have an ocean view but double check before book anything because you will pay for the view even if the ocean view means a small spot of the water if you hang your head 1 meters out of the balcony! Kuhio avenue has some cheaper options while Lemon Road focuses on the real budget side.

We preferred a hotel at the Kuhio Av (parallel to Kalakaua Av, which means three blocks away from Waikiki beach only) which also houses two rows of high-rise ugly hotels. You can see Continental Surf Hotel at pic 1. The prices are cheaper here and if you are lucky you may have a good city view.

Our room was at 22nd floor and although it was very simple we loved the city view (pic 2) with the non stop traffic day and night (there was no noise up there). The room (pic 3) was very simple but very clean so we didn’t complain, the price was ideal anyway ($65 per night with taxes). The double bed was comfortable as the room it self (160 sq feet). The table with a chair in front of the window was also nice and helpful to put the laptop and check VT :)
There is free wi-fi connection, a microwave, a refrigerator, a coffeemaker, a TV, a safe box (with key) and above all Air Conditioning of course :)

The bathroom was small but clean also and the wife liked the hair dryer, there was also a iron/ironing board in the closet. They provided us with coffee and new towels every day.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written December 8, 2009

Continental Surf Hotel

• Phalaenopsis03 profile photo Phalaenopsis03
  • Reviews: 434

Aqua Bamboo & Spa: Aqua Hotels & Resorts

Part of the Aqua Hotels & Resorts, I found the Aqua Bamboo & Spa quite charming, especially with its tropical Zen theme. Hal booked us the Studio Kitchenette with Partial City View, which had all the comforts of home, including a cutting board, which we actually took advantage of when slicing up star fruit, yum! However, most attractive about this hotel is its location, only a block or two away from all the sights and attractions of Waikiki Beach. Perhaps the only drawback to this property is its tiny underground parking lot. It held approximately 10 cars, and with the Dodge Charger we rented (we were upgraded for free), Hal found it challenging maneuvering the big car around in the tiny garage.

Description is of the room we stayed in, which was the Studio Kitchenette with Partial City View. The room features a balcony with partial view of Waikiki and the surrounding areas.

Studio kitchenette includes:

* Stove, microwave, mini-fridge, coffee maker, toaster, dinnerware for 2
* Free in-room high-speed internet access
* Free in-room safe (laptop compatible)
* Free local & toll-free calls
* 32" LCD TV
* Air-conditioner (perfect for tropical weather)

Hotel services and amenities include (this isn't a comprehensive list):

* Free continental breakfast (fruit, pastry, beverages) daily, served poolside
* Free WiFi internet access in the lobby and poolside
* Coin-operated laundry, washer ($1.25) and dryer ($1.50)
* Garage parking ($20/daily)

Note: Tip originally written on Oct. 20 for Oct. 2009 visit to Oahu.

• Related to: Family Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Beaches
  • Written October 20, 2009

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3266

Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa: An Excellent Oceanview Hotel in Waikiki

On our first visit to Oahu together Ferni and I decided to stay at this hotel because we are Marriott Gold, it was close to Waikiki beach, and the price was perfect for our needs.

The hotel is located at the far end of Kalakau Avenue near shops, places to eat and the famous Waikiki Beach.

We arrived a bit late from our flight from the mainland, but our check-in was great. The front desk greeted us by name and checked us in promptly. The room was located on an upper floor I believe the 14th floor with partial view overlooking Waikiki Beach and Kalakau Ave. The bed was a very comfy king bed, with a spacious area that included a large credenza with a flat screen tv, desk with chair and wi fi, and a very spacious bathroom.

The hotel has a nice lobby with good selection of shops and a few restaurants as well. We didn't check out the pool as when we are in Oahu we prefer the beach.

Our stay was excellent with the service, price and location being a major issue, we would definitely stay here again.

We enjoyed the nice comfy king bed with the balcony overlooking Waikiki Beach.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written April 16, 2009

Our king bed

• CatInEurope profile photo CatInEurope
  • Reviews: 26

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wakiki Prince Kuhio Hilton: Like Royalty!

We wanted to stay in bed all the time and we weren't even on our honeymoon! The rooms were gorgeous. The bed plush and comfy - the bathroom was stunning. One block from a fantastic beach.

All in all a great hotel!

• Written December 28, 2008

Moana Surfrider: Downtown and on the Beach

This stately hotel is the oldest in Waikiki and still very appealing! The Moana Surfrider is located along Kalakaua Avenue, where souvenir stands blend with COACH handbags. It sits along the shore of the Pacific Ocean and is located in the middle of Waikiki's prime shopping area, which is loaded with restaurants.

There's been a great deal of preservation, while tweaking it with modern conveniences. We loved the hotel's courtyard--a relaxing area sheltered by huge trees and directly in line with ocean breezes. A long veranda contains another seating area.

My husband and I enjoyed a glass of white wine by candlelight and listened to the sound of the crashing waves. There are a few shops within the hotel complex and lovely winding halls with intimate seating areas.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Singles, Seniors

The Moana Surfrider Hotel

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort: Part 2--A winning combination

The Hilton Hawaiian Village offered the opportunity to hang ten with surf lessons. Our grandson regrets he didn't attempt lessons, but for $90 you'll receive a 1/2 hour of instruction from an expert and 1 1/2 hours on your board waiting for a decent wave.

I look for a shady spot when we visit a beach, so for $70 we rented one large umbrella, three lounges and one boogie board...in my estimation, worth every penny ( pic #2)!

REMINDER: Our guidebook alerted us to bring water shoes, because there are small rocks strewn about the ocean floor. Believe me, you needed them. I packed shoes for my husband and grandson and forgot my own--ouch!

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches

Surf Lessons

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort: A Perfect Combination!

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort has everything to make one's visit to paradise memorable--a wide, sandy beach, casual eateries and finer restaurants, excellent shopping, Friday night hula demo and fireworks over the ocean. We spent a good deal of time here because it had everything we wanted!

When traveling with the family, it's the perfect location. Not only could you rent lounges, umbrellas, floats, inner tubes or boogie boards, you could also take surf lessons.

My husband, grandson and I spent all of one day at Kohana-moku beach where gentle waves lapped the shore and a coral reef divided the swimming area from the ocean. You'll find a generous beach with plenty of room to spread out with your lounges, towels and totebags. An added perk: Diamond Head was visible from the beach.

We returned several times to pick up special gifts for family back home. It was such a convenient site in every way. The location puts it steps away from the shopping district on Kalakaua Avenue, should you want to venture out for additional shopping or variety of dining choices.

If we were to travel here again, we would definitely want to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Location--near the ocean and trendy shopping!

• Related to: Family Travel, Seniors, Singles