Oahu Hotels

Our Members Say

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani: Made for a Princess, Fit For a Queen

We booked this trip last minute and we scored a great deal with this hotel. We upgraded to the High Ocean View, which, if the Hyatt Regency Tower was removed, we would have had a great view of Diamond Head. Still it was a great room and we are pleased to report the Kaiulani did not disappoint.

The staff was most courteous and acommodating, there was a minor mix up with our room but it was handled in an expedient manner.

The room was clean and bright, the bed very comfortable. The hotel provided us with a coffee maker and a refrigerator. We had a walk out balcony where we spent several evenings listening to the music coming from the lounge (they stop the music by 10PM). The A/C is efficient, but we found we were able to shut it off at night and leave the sliding door open to let the trade winds blow through and cool the room.

On June 11, 1955, the hotel opened it's doors. Built by the Matson Navigation Company on the grounds of the Princess Victoria Kaiulani's palace, Ainahau. Kaiulani was Hawaii's last and most loved princess, who died at an early age of 23.

It is apparent that the spirit of Kaiulani still exists throughut the hotel. The lobby of the hotel was beautiful. Many artifacts from the Princess Victoria Kaiulani's life were all about the hotel. Many photographs and oil paintings deicting the Princess and her life.

Every morning in the lobby, local artisans will come and display their wares: Local flowers woven into leis, a ukelele maker, and other various sorts of arts and crafts.

The hotel is centrally located to many areas of interest and the neighborhood in which it sits is quite safe for those who may be traveling alone.

The hotel also offers a "hospitality suite" for those who check out early but have a late departure time the Kaiulani provides a room for travelers to take a shower or just kick back unil your departure time. It is "First Come First Serve". There is also a computer center with free internet access. They ask when it is busy to please restrict your self to 15 minutes use.

• Related to: Archeology, Historical Travel, Business Travel
  • Written July 30, 2005

The Kaiulani Tower

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3385

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani: Hotel with a great bar

On my first visit to Oahu back in 2005 I discovered the yummy drinks at the Pikake Terrace and promised myself to stay at this hotel on my next visit, so when we planned another visit, we decided to stay here.

The hotel is very popular with the airline crews and is always packed with packaged tours which use the Sheraton as their hotel of choice.

The room was a bit dated and not very roomy, but was clean and suited our needs.

Located across the street from Waikiki beach this hotel is definitely centrally located.

We paid about $180 per night.

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Luxury Travel, Spa and Resort
  • Written September 24, 2006
Tip Photo

At the entrance of the hotel

• KiKitC profile photo KiKitC
  • Reviews: 355

Aston Waikiki Circle Hotel: An Original Waikiki High Rise

This is a hotel I would recommend to couples looking for the Waikiki experience on a Fargo budget. This is one of the original high rises on Waikiki, and it is showing in some wear, but the rooms are clean with daily maid service. The building is circular, making the rooms small and pie shaped. The bathroom is small, but each room has two double beds and is more than adequate for those that are going to be out of the room all day anyway.

The only drawback is limited parking.

I was just released from the hospital after a bad accident when we arrived. We had the beachfront room on the top floor. The view was incredible. If I had to be anywhere to recover from an accident, sitting on this lanai and soaking in the view is it.

• Related to: Beaches, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Budget Travel
  • Written August 1, 2005

Lanai view at sunset

• Gypsystravels profile photo Gypsystravels
  • Reviews: 3385

Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber (renamed): Good views for a small price

On my first visit to Oahu I wanted to find an inexpensive place to stay in central Waikiki possibly with some great views. I was not disappointed when I found this hotel. Located next to the International Market Place, the Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber was definitely what I was looking for.

We had a Patial Ocean View king size bed that had a nice size bathroom. The best part of the room were the views of Waikiki Beach, Diamond Head and the Market Place down below.

We paid about $120 per night for our Partial Ocean View, a great price for an expensive place.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Luxury Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written September 24, 2006
Tip Photo

Partial ocean view from our room

Ohana Sky Court: Formerly the Outrigger now Ohana Sky Court

On our 1 year wedding anniversary (in 1994), we got a deal through Delta airlines: Airfare, hotel and car for something like $230 pp/double occupancy. We jumped at the chance. Our hotel was known as the Outrigger Maile Sky Court. A skyscraper hotel and our room was up, up, somewhere around the 22 floor. Obviously there was no balcony and no fresh air!! Well, we went to the local store, bought a screwdriver and opened the window so we had fresh air. It was a funny sight to be down on Kuhio, look up and see one lone curtain flapping in the breeze.

The facilities are the Sky Court were fine. This is a budget hotel and so there were not a lot of famcy things to go with it. The bed was comfortable, we had a small refrigerator and a coffee maker. The pool and whirlpool were located downstairs from us but it was not on the ground floor, the pool was frequently crowded with families traveling with their children.

The hotel is very close to the Ala Wai canal. We would watch the rowing teams practice early in the morning.

We were within walking distance of the beach, albeit a little bit of a hike! We were close to the shops, banks and restaturants as well.

The hotel underwent a transfer of new ownership since we stayed and from what I understand it is very nice.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written July 22, 2005

Maile Sky Court

Pacific Ohana Hostel: Hostel on Oahu

This seemed like a decent facility for those traveling on a budget. I was compelled to see this place as a fellow VT'er Hotsauce28 mentioned that hostels can be useful for a good many travelers out there.

The hostel offers several types of accmodations: one bedroom apartments or studios. They even have shared dormatories

The hostel is located 1 block from Waikiki Beach

• AKtravelers profile photo AKtravelers
  • Reviews: 936

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ala Moana Hotel: Almost Hawaii/Almost Japan

The Ala Moana Hotel is a big, industrial scale hotel off of Waikiki. There is nothing special about the rooms, the service was fine and it's a 10 minute walk to a beach (Ala Moana Beach). So, most people would likely opt for different lodgings if they were searching for their hawaiian Dream Hotel.
Still, it has some advantages. If you like to shop (unlike me) it's right next to Hawaii's biggest mall. As this appeals mostly to Japanese tourists (what mainland American would go to an expensive place like Hawaii to buy the same things they can get at home?), the hotel is naturally Japanese owned. Therfore, you'll notice it has the Asian quirk of no 4th floor. I like that.
The other thing I like is that it's close to the YMCA, where you can work out in a full-service gym for $5 (just show your room key). It's also near the Alawai Canal, a great place for a long, uninterrupted run.
The bad news about the area is that it is a bit sleazy (though I never felt unsafe, even at night). There are strip clubs near-by and the convention center area attracts some prostitutes at night. Ala Moana Park is a mecca for the homeless (where better to live without shelter?). So, if these things bother you, pick another hotel.

If you have a late check-out, the hotel offers a room in the back tower where you can shower for free. Since many flights to the mainland leave late at night, it's nice to be able to clean the beach sand off you vefore getting on the plane.

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written February 11, 2004

Ala Moana hotel towers over Ala Moana park

Hilton Prince Kuhio Hotel: Posh, but not Ocean front

Although a city block from the beach, the Hilton Prince Kuhio serviced us well. The rooms were bright and comfy; the balcony came with a mountain view and our breakfast was included.

The hotel had been recently renovated, so all of the touches had that fresh look to them, with updated decor and sleek bathroom--shower only. Elevators were operated using one's room key, which also gave entry to the breakfast area, fitness rooms and hotel pool.

Shampoos, conditioners, hair dryer, alarm clocks, quilted bathrobes, small fridge, security safe, built in dresser and adequate closet space were amenities we appreciated. I had requested extra pillows, which were generously brought to the room.

The lobby was spacious with many seating areas and concierge desk. A second level travel station was provided from which reservations could be made for various activities.

Hilton's Prince Kuhio was a pleasant home away from home, but if we were to do it over again we would definitely stay at the water's edge.

Outstanding service from hotel staff and valet staff

• Related to: Singles, Seniors, Family Travel
Tip Photo

View from our hotel room

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort: Part 2--A winning combination

The Hilton Hawaiian Village offered the opportunity to hang ten with surf lessons. Our grandson regrets he didn't attempt lessons, but for $90 you'll receive a 1/2 hour of instruction from an expert and 1 1/2 hours on your board waiting for a decent wave.

I look for a shady spot when we visit a beach, so for $70 we rented one large umbrella, three lounges and one boogie board...in my estimation, worth every penny ( pic #2)!

REMINDER: Our guidebook alerted us to bring water shoes, because there are small rocks strewn about the ocean floor. Believe me, you needed them. I packed shoes for my husband and grandson and forgot my own--ouch!

• Related to: Family Travel, Beaches

Surf Lessons

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort: A Perfect Combination!

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort has everything to make one's visit to paradise memorable--a wide, sandy beach, casual eateries and finer restaurants, excellent shopping, Friday night hula demo and fireworks over the ocean. We spent a good deal of time here because it had everything we wanted!

When traveling with the family, it's the perfect location. Not only could you rent lounges, umbrellas, floats, inner tubes or boogie boards, you could also take surf lessons.

My husband, grandson and I spent all of one day at Kohana-moku beach where gentle waves lapped the shore and a coral reef divided the swimming area from the ocean. You'll find a generous beach with plenty of room to spread out with your lounges, towels and totebags. An added perk: Diamond Head was visible from the beach.

We returned several times to pick up special gifts for family back home. It was such a convenient site in every way. The location puts it steps away from the shopping district on Kalakaua Avenue, should you want to venture out for additional shopping or variety of dining choices.

If we were to travel here again, we would definitely want to stay at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Location--near the ocean and trendy shopping!

• Related to: Family Travel, Singles, Seniors

Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort

Moana Surfrider: Downtown and on the Beach

This stately hotel is the oldest in Waikiki and still very appealing! The Moana Surfrider is located along Kalakaua Avenue, where souvenir stands blend with COACH handbags. It sits along the shore of the Pacific Ocean and is located in the middle of Waikiki's prime shopping area, which is loaded with restaurants.

There's been a great deal of preservation, while tweaking it with modern conveniences. We loved the hotel's courtyard--a relaxing area sheltered by huge trees and directly in line with ocean breezes. A long veranda contains another seating area.

My husband and I enjoyed a glass of white wine by candlelight and listened to the sound of the crashing waves. There are a few shops within the hotel complex and lovely winding halls with intimate seating areas.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Singles, Seniors

The Moana Surfrider Hotel

• BS8 profile photo BS8
  • Reviews: 14

The Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort and Spa: Great resort for kids

The resort is huge. There are 6 towers with about 1300 rooms. There are 4 pools but we could only use 3. The pools were safe for kids as they were not too deep. They had life guards watching over the pool to make sure everyone was safe and obeyed the rules. The bad thing was that we were not allowed to play ball in the pool or use float toys.

The resort had lots of things for kids like the flamingos, turtles, birds, fish and pengins. They also have a kid's club and have activities that you can join in. The restaurants have special meals for kids and if you eat all your dinner you can get a suprise from the treasure chest.

• Related to: Spa and Resort, Family Travel
  • Written June 10, 2005
Tip Photo

the front of the resort and the Rainbow tower

• RblWthACoz profile photo RblWthACoz
  • Reviews: 650

Hostelling International - Manoa: Hostelling with true island style

Located only a few miles outside of Waikiki, this hostel is the best choice in hostels I would say. Quiet, reserved, yet still close to major streets, it's the type of place you wake up to hear the many island birds singing at.

Inexpensive, friendly, helpful, and clean. It's the best example of island hostelling.

If you stay here and want to take public transportation, Bus # 4 goes very nearby and can take you to Waikiki or to downtown.

standard hostel accommodations

• Written January 9, 2006

• cjg1 profile photo cjg1
  • Reviews: 5750

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ohana Waikiki Beachcomber: Affordable with a view.

This was a decent hotel for my needs during a previous trip . Located a short walk across the street from the beachfront hotels it is right next to the open air International Market Place. I spent our long weekend here. The room had a partial view ocean front room that was on the east side of the tower up on about the 26th floor. (dont remember room number for sure) Set with a king bed and a spacious bathroom the highlight of the room was the balcony. From here you could see the beach and also out to Diamond Head. It was a great place for pics.

When you can find this hotel for a cheap rate it is good for a place to stay. We paid in the $120 range per night. During future trips here it has been much higher and is the only reason we havent been back.

• Written December 14, 2006

• cjg1 profile photo cjg1
  • Reviews: 5750

Sheraton Princess Kaiulani: Affordable Starwood

This hotel I discovered on a previous Oahu trip many years ago. I first used it as a place to eat and drink. And I honestly can't tell you how we stumbled into it. But our first day on my first trip I came here with an ex girlfriend and have returned on every visit.

The rooms are a tad dated. But if you're looking for a reward program sponsored hotels this is one of the cheapest options. I was able to get a special rate of 153 with triple points and discounts for the food this last time. So it was quite an affordable deal to me.

The calimari is quite the draw here as well as their tasty cocktails. Enjoy a Mai Tai or Frozen drink on the Terrace.

• Written December 14, 2006