2584 Lemon Road, Honolulu, Hawaii, 96815, United States
Polynesian Hostel Beach Club
Expedia.com Priceline.com HostelBookers.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Waikiki

Our JumpingTwins at Waikiki Beach, May 30, 2010Our JumpingTwins at Waikiki Beach, May 30, 2010

unit across from usunit across from us

old carpet ready for workold carpet ready for work

Work outside our unitWork outside our unit

Walking to Waikiki

by ktlizzie

We like to walk wherever we can - is it possible to walk from the cruise ship terminal in Honolulu to Waikiki? Any advice would be much appreciated.

by Agraichen

It's been some time since I cruised the islands but if I recall correctly, the cruise terminal is a few miles from Waikiki. While it's certainly doable, I'd suggest taking the bus and saving the time for walking around Waikiki.

Check your locations on one of the maps of the island. http://www.bestofhawaii.com/map_oahu.htm

by tuff

As I remember that "The Bus" is very very inexpensive, it is your best option.

by travelgourmet

Aloha, the cruise ship terminal is located at the Aloha Tower that has shops and restaurants. It is across the main street (Ala Moana Blvd) from downtown Honolulu. Taking Ala Moana Blvd toward Diamond Head (turn right out of the Aloha Tower area on Ala Moana Blvd)it is about 2 1/2 miles to Kalakaua Ave, turn right, go about another mile and you will wind up in the heart of Waikiki. It is walkable but not much to see before getting into Waikiki only a park Makai side (ocean side) and the Ala Moana Shopping Center mauka side (mountain side) then cross the bridge over the Ali Wai Canal into Waikiki center about another mile to walk. Are you there just for the day? Then with no luggage, walk or take as suggested the bus if you want or you can take the Waikiki Trolley Red Line. With luggage, take a shuttle bus from the Cruise Terminal to Waikiki. :-)

by yvr

by travelgourmet

In my line of work, we love a yes man. lol ;-)

by ktlizzie

Hi. Thanks for your advice about walking to Waikiki. This will be the second time we've been to Honolulu on a cruise ship - we visited Pearl Harbour (memorable experience as an ex-military aviator)and did a limited tour of the island last time (2008), so this time we just want to wander around and get the feel of the place and the people. I've checked The Bus website and read about the Trolley, so we can use them as back up if necessary. Thanks once again, and have an enjoyable Christmas and New Year.
Regards Tony.

by paulvir

Not sure if you have enough time but you should definitely check out Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor on historic Ford Island.

Travel Tips for Waikiki

Wonderful and silly things in Waikiki

by amberll

I loved eating fresh grilled fish sandwiches all over Waikiki and the island of Oahu. We dined at The Top of Wakiki (revolving restaurant). A little expensive (over $100 for two people) but a really unique experience. The Mahi Mahi was wonderful everywhere I went. Living in Minnesota you usually can only get lake fish sandwiches in restaurants and they are usually breaded and fattening. This maybe isn't the fondest but one of the funniest.

Men, please wear a real swim suit and not your underwear on the beach. I saw an older man sunning himself on a dock on Waikiki Beach last year. I don't know who he thought he was fooling with his black "swimsuit". He was obviously wearing old, faded, black cotton Calvin Klein brief underwear. It did give us a good laugh though but come on. Speedos are not that expensive, I work in a swim shop and you can get one for just $25.

Different sand texture

by OlenaKyiv

Go along Waikiki Beach from one side to another and pay your attention to the texture of the sand. You will notice that sand is different (white or grayish, rough or soft) along the shore. We thought it might be the sort of a natural miracle. But after our travel we watched Travel Channel with Samantha, and she explained that with time sand goes to the ocean, so hotels artificially put the sand on the beach. At least it was how I understood her.

Walk!

by CandS

Walk around at Waikiki as much as possible...you will get to see much more that way... We walked around a lot and got to see some amazing views and scenery. Walking around at night was even nicer, it was cooler and there were less people around... :)

Who Knew?

by ATXtraveler

I flew all the way from Pflugerville, TX to come to the land of Hawaii... and really, the ancestors of my hometown were already there!

Check out the license plate frame... Pfluegers are everywhere!

Weather

by Mez77

6 Feb 04 1210

The weather here is funny. Every morning there is a low cloud base which envelopes the mountains and although it hasn't rained yet, every morning it is like a fine mist of sprinkling rain.

Comments