United States of America Hotels

Our Members Say

• Cho45 profile photo Cho45
  • Reviews: 41

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Travelodge Hotel: Reasonably priced accommodation near Savannah, GA.

We stayed at this hotel/motel for two nights during our road trip to Georgia. Actually, we wanted to stay in Savannah which was our destination, but the hotel rates in the city were way too high when we looked them up on the internet. So, we decided to search for hotels outside Savannah, and we found one by chance from a flyer. The advertiser was Travelodge located in Richmond Hill which is about 20 miles/32 kilometers from Savannah. They were offering discounts on their rooms so we pulled into it last Wednesday. The desk clerk on duty, Wendy was very friendly and welcomed us with a nice smile. Best of all, we got the discounted room rate of $40 per night (tax already added). There was a big cooler in the office filled with lemonade for hotel guests, and we helped ourselves to it as we were tired and thirsty after the long drive.

There is ample parking space and as we got a room on the first floor (ground floor in Europe and Asia) we could park the car right in front of our room. The room itself was quite comfortable with twin beds and the usual amenities, i.e. microwave, refrigerator, air conditioner, big TV, coffee maker, and of course free Wi-Fi internet access. I should mention too that each bed had THREE pillows which I seldom find in any hotel anywhere in the world! One other thing I like about hotels here in the USA is, all of them have ice making machines located somewhere near the lobby, so guests can just help themselves to as much ice as they want. In all my travels around Europe and Asia, I never found this convenience or availability of free ice.

The bathroom was clean too with a whole bunch of towels and the customary soap and shampoo packets. The next day when we came back from our tour of Savannah the room had been tidied and the beds made.

Breakfast is also included in the room rate. It is nothing fancy but they had four different varieties of cereals, muffins and white bread/toaster, plus a make it yourself waffles, coffee, tea and juices. Oh, if you want to take a dip in the water before or after breakfast there's also a small swimming pool on the grounds.

Travelodge is situated just off Interstate-97 on Highway 17. There are also many other hotels in the vicinity, all of them offering competitive room rates. Restaurants and fast food joints such as KFC, MacDonalds, Wendy's, Arby's are also within walking distance or a few minutes drive away.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip, School Holidays
  • Written January 3, 2015

Partial view of hotel

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3975

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

THE CLAY HOTEL - MIAMI BEACH: A BED ABOVE A FLORIDA NIGHTCLUB

I still find it hard to believe how bad my stay here was. The people who 'mange' this place seem like complete idiots and they seem to have a lack of proper cleaners and a maintenance schedule for simple repairs and replacements. I tried to check in at 7am. Fair enough, they asked me to put my bags in the baggage room and come back around lunch time. I did and they said come back in an hour. I did and they finally said they had 1 room made up and I could have it. I explained I wanted a quiet room and they I would wait. A QUIET ROOM. QUIET. They said it was a quiet room in another building. It was several buildings away and my room was up some stairs and around the back. Cool. I noticed that there was a nice looking coffee shop just below. I decided to go out for the day and evening.

When I came back I tried to take a shower in filthy bath and shave in the nasty sink. Nasty. Lots of other peoples' hair was there! Then I got on my bed. And it began to move! Yes, it was vibrating to the deafening music! BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM !

The coffee shop becomes a nightclub at night! And where was the sound equipment? Yes - right below my room and bed! A trek to reception revealed they were full and no other rooms were available!

IDIOTS !

They had the chance to give me a quiet room and gave me the loudest possible.

I was lucky. No - no sleep and it was hot in the room. I had booked through a very good website:

SKOOSH

The fantastic people at Skoosh arranged a complete refund in 2 days. Great website - crap hotel!

• Related to: Singles, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Business Travel
  • Written July 19, 2014

THE CLAY HOTEL - SHIT IN MIAMI BEACH

• DAO profile photo DAO
  • Reviews: 3975

BILTMORE HOTEL: NOT WORTH THE PRICE(S) – ASHEVILLE NC

I have to state up front that I don’t get this hotel. I just cannot recommend it. This is a modern, almost characterless place. It is marketed as being on the Biltmore Estate and this is where the story starts to change. The Biltmore Estate is massive and in the beginning it had hundreds of square miles of gardens and forest. Today it is still a huge 8,000 acre expanse and this hotel is in the grounds. In fact the best feature of the hotel is the view over the mountains. Just do not expect to see or get close to the world famous Biltmore House – unless you buy a ticket. Yes – you do not get to drive around the full estate just because you paid a minimum of $269 of a room. A single room. 2 people? You may want to consult your bank manager before you make reservations. You are looking at a little over $400 for most rooms! Seriously – this is just a rip-off. The hotel is very nice, but it’s far from the Palace they are asking you to pay for.

The rooms are ok. Nothing luxurious, just nice. They do have good beds, excellent toiletries and it is absolutely quiet. Fair enough, but at this price you could stay at several luxury hotels in Asheville – twice. Possible more. Like I said, I don’t get this place. My brother had his (3rd) wedding here and stays here a lot on business. I would rather stay at the historic and charming Grove Park Inn any day.

On the plus side they have a bar (amazingly without any charm at all), an outdoor pool (some months), some excellent gift shops and a modern gym. You can also walk outside from the bar and see the mountain I grew up on. When I was a child I went to school with the children of one of the estate’s caretakers.

My recommendation? Stay elsewhere and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway if you want to really see the mountains and scenery. You can stop at dozens of places and go hiking or take a picnic. It just is not worth it to stay here for the money they charge. And they just keep charging. Want a ‘guaranteed’ view – that’s an extra $50 minimum! Want to see the Biltmore House and Gardens – even from the outside – yes tickets will easily set you back more than an additional $100! Now you understand. Save your money and see the Biltmore House. Give the Biltmore Hotel a miss and save a lot of money.

HOTEL OVERVIEW:
• 201 rooms and 9 suites set in beautiful woodlands
• NO access to, or even sight of, the Biltmore House unless you buy tickets
• Guaranteed views are an additional fee - starting at $50!
• Outdoor pool and hot tub (open 6am-10pm and closed completely in Winter)
• Small (oddly) outdoor seating area
• Library, fitness center, bar, restaurant
• A shocking lack of facilities given the prices

ROOMS:
• Nice décor supposedly based upon English and French manor houses
• Rooms are cleaned twice a day
• Great beds
• Complimentary bottled water, Coffee/Tea and daily newspaper
• Wi-Fi
• Bathrobe, slippers, great toiletries, mirrors and hairdryer
• Complimentary overnight shoeshine
• 24-hour concierge and meal service
• Massive television
• Table (writing desk)

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written April 6, 2014

BILTMORE HOTEL ��� ASHEVILLE NC

• gwened profile photo gwened
  • Reviews: 3994

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Nikko: the Asian relax ambiance of Nikko

Its been a while last there in 2005 for a week of wonderful host at the hotel nikko of SF.

A four-diamonds by AAA and and four-star by Forbes, offers 532 elegantly appointed rooms, including 22 suites. Guests are pampered by such amenities as Subarashee Yume ("dreams" in Japanese) pillow-top beds, high-speed Internet access, large flat-screen televisions, and iPod/iPhone docking sound systems.

if you want to be pampered been in the center of it all then come here, a memorable experience always looking forward to be back.

central to all to see and get by even parking for easy in and out, great views, and all types of pampering amenities, including a nice Japanese ANZU restaurant

• Related to: Architecture, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written January 5, 2014

• Roni3 profile photo Roni3
  • Reviews: 2

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Crowne Plaza: Worst ever

Lady at service desk called my status base, staff went out of way to make me feel small. Ask if I could get a drink cause it was offered in last trip because I was a priority member. Christmas Day was no cleaning service, had do not disturbed sign out until 12:00 left the hotel returned back at 9 pm no service, dirty towels and coffee neglected. I called for service only 2 sets were sent up. No coffee for next morning , it seems coffee was offered for some quest at front of hotel it was never offered to us.On December 26 room half way cleaned dirty cups left all over the room, no coffee. Rain stormed came in the area the carpet was wet near the window. I have stayed at the hotel before and service continue to decline, was scouting out hotels in area for graduation in future have a lot of family coming in town and back and forth in and out of town all the time, I would not recommend this hotel to dogs. Please stay else where, think staff need training in what Crowne plaza is known for,a place to meet and outstanding service:-( I am writing this because I expressed my concerns the last time I stayed here when the toilets were not cleaned and had rim inside had to clean own toilet upon checking in. When I do express concerns staff make me feel like a bother, and no changes , the manager on duty was Amy. I would whether stay at YMCA or dog shelter.

None

• Related to: Family Travel, Business Travel
  • Written December 30, 2012

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fairfield Inn & Suites Chicago Downtown: Affordable Chicago Magnificent Mile Hotel

Mid-priced in the Magnificent Mile area. $231 including taxes. Free breakfast More choices than a basic breakfast, but spartan compared to a hotel bf buffet. Self-serve... styrofoam plates.

Great location. Friendly and knowledgeable concierge.

• Related to: Family Travel
  • Written November 18, 2012

Yosemite Scenic Wonders: Homey Yosemite Cabin

A 2-bedroom, 2-bathroom cabin which was very comfortable for 4 persons. No service, you bring your food supplies.

Well-equipped kitchen, and a grill on the porch. Very homey, private accommodation.

• Related to: Family Travel, Hiking and Walking, National/State Park
  • Written November 12, 2012

Cozy Cub, Scenic Wonders, Yosemite

Murphy's River Lodge: Great Lodging in Estes Park

We got a single room (there are condo-type units). Bed was comfortable, linen clean and fresh. Very good value at $141 with breakfast (including taxes). Free parking. Decent, basic breakfast (fruits, cereals, coffee, hot chocolate, pastries, etc.) in nice second floor common room. Restaurants, ice cream parlors, shops, art galleries within 3 minutes drive.

Free wifi internet. Owner answered my emails promptly and patiently.

• Related to: Family Travel, National/State Park
  • Written May 1, 2012

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ocean Lodge, Santa Monica, CA: Expensive Route 66 stuff

No hard feeling, everything including service, room, facilities and neighbours (crowded, young) ok, but the level was about the same we faced during Route 66 and the price was 2-3 times higher. Fine, I know it is Santa Monica, and if they afford to keep these prices and have all rooms booked, we have to stand (or go somewhere inland).

Perfect place, beach 500 feet (bird eye, I walked to swim about half mile), close to SM shopping and restaurant facilities.

• Related to: Motorcycle, Road Trip

Sharene / Dream Imm: Used to be Route 66 stuff

Motel Sharene was the first Route 66 like motel we noticed when driving trough San Bernardino. Right decision, (a little bit poorly location, we had troubles to find a place to eat).

When we game to San Bernadino this in was named Sharene. We were almost the only customers, there were some younger ladies, but the owners (Indian) had a lot of time to us. They had just bought the place, going towards their American dream. The water pipes was out of order, we needed to bring water to flush with waste basket, the room was not very clean (I would like to say positive, they were very nice and friendly people), but they smiled competing with the Sun and I wish all luck to them in their business.

But they definitely have made a mistake. Why to change make from original which is beautiful reminding me angels and birds to unimaginative "Dream Inn"? They started to paint the sign yesterday (12th May 2011) evening, you can check the original painting from my previous travelogue.

• Related to: Road Trip, Motorcycle, Budget Travel

Route 66 Motel, Barstow, CA: Proven Route 66 stuff

Route 66 Motel is a nice and quiet little place. Basic stuff, again, all very clean and smoke-free, the folk were friendly and the prices very ok (for two 56, taxes included).

Check the decoration, you can find a lot of mind opening stuff there and what I said about clean, eh, I didn't mean this. The specialties of this place were cars. You can find a selection of old cars from the yard, most of them rusted, but you get a feeling that this place was like during those past glorious years when all (?) Americans drove on the Mother Road.

I gave only 4 of 5 but was close to give 5. If you appreciate originality, it is 5.

• Related to: Motorcycle, Budget Travel, Road Trip

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Traveller's Inn, Bullhead City, AZ: Off Route 66 - Challenging

One of the worst hotel experience in my travels and worst in Route 66 (We decided to see Nevada, was a little bit off route). The carpet was dirty, the mattress was harder than a sidewalk. Complaints made were taken "seriously" but without serious actions to solve the, For example it was said that free WiFi exists, I got the signal but no connection. They tried to boot router, and said that they tried to call to the telco company, but "support told that currently there is no faults". Faults or not, but when I went to laundry (Laundry!) some mile away, I got my mails synchronized and updated my need of information.

Anyway, we stayed there two nights, it was not so bad and we didn't spend our time in the Inn but the roads. And we were free to take any room, they said, and somehow our origin was interesting to the owners so they were polite and nice to us (and this is the reason I don't give "Totally unsatisfied" status to the Inn. (One point of our interest was the gasoline station close by, we could have refreshments, gas, snacks and coffee.

I am sure that there is better value for money very close, we were kind of stupid we came from Laughlin direction, it was dark and we took the first one.

Hope you understand me correctly, there were one of the most worst bar close to inn and that was the best thing in our stay :)

• Related to: Road Trip, Motorcycle
  • Written January 6, 2012

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cameron Trading Post, Cameron, AZ: The most Indian (not Indian)

We traveled off season but we had some taught that there could not be free rooms in Grand Canyon area and thus we decided to stay on Cameron. Empty town, almost middle of nowhere but it was excellent place (only one major issue). It was in really nice environment, I think in eastern root of Grand Canyon, check pictures, it is really a scenery. Rooms were clean, nice and okay equipped.

The issue is drinks. It's in deep Indian area, selling beer, wine and spirits is prohibited. One can stand one day, at least :)

Garden and the Scenery.

• Written January 1, 2012

Garrett Desert Inn, Santa Fe, NM: Centrally located

Garrett Desert Inn is located in central Santa Fe and is within walking distance of Loretto Chapel, San Miguel Mission, and Palace of the Governors. Nearby points of interest also include New Mexico State Capitol and Museum of International Folk Art and multiple restaurants to those who walk around museums.

Have to say, it is expensive but only in sense of our Route 66 strategy, it was worth of the price (160$ for two person room). Here you are close to activities in the city and the personnel was helpful and friendly ("you can drive to L.A in 22 hours" and we had 8 days left!)

Pool included and we got fellow mates with 20 motorcycles with us.

• Related to: Road Trip, Motorcycle
  • Written December 18, 2011

El Capitan, Gallup, NM: Almost original

This is the level I had hunted. Almost original setup from oldies. No extras, no breakfast (which in our side of the glope has to be included), no free coffee, no *****, not even ***, but it was cheap, clean, friendly lodging; close to services and amenities and I would stay there again (and I did it in several similar places).

The hostess was Indian (i mean east Indian, not American) and she helped in all issues I could arose (or, to be honest, she tried to, the results were not so high level. But she tried).

On later states of Route I noticed that clean bathroom and working plumbing is not always standard service (and here those were OK).

47$ for two person room (close to cheapest on our route).

• Related to: Motorcycle, Road Trip, Budget Travel