United States of America Hotels

Our Members Say

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Traveller's Inn, Bullhead City, AZ: Off Route 66 - Challenging

One of the worst hotel experience in my travels and worst in Route 66 (We decided to see Nevada, was a little bit off route). The carpet was dirty, the mattress was harder than a sidewalk. Complaints made were taken "seriously" but without serious actions to solve the, For example it was said that free WiFi exists, I got the signal but no connection. They tried to boot router, and said that they tried to call to the telco company, but "support told that currently there is no faults". Faults or not, but when I went to laundry (Laundry!) some mile away, I got my mails synchronized and updated my need of information.

Anyway, we stayed there two nights, it was not so bad and we didn't spend our time in the Inn but the roads. And we were free to take any room, they said, and somehow our origin was interesting to the owners so they were polite and nice to us (and this is the reason I don't give "Totally unsatisfied" status to the Inn. (One point of our interest was the gasoline station close by, we could have refreshments, gas, snacks and coffee.

I am sure that there is better value for money very close, we were kind of stupid we came from Laughlin direction, it was dark and we took the first one.

Hope you understand me correctly, there were one of the most worst bar close to inn and that was the best thing in our stay :)

• Written January 6, 2012

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cameron Trading Post, Cameron, AZ: The most Indian (not Indian)

We traveled off season but we had some taught that there could not be free rooms in Grand Canyon area and thus we decided to stay on Cameron. Empty town, almost middle of nowhere but it was excellent place (only one major issue). It was in really nice environment, I think in eastern root of Grand Canyon, check pictures, it is really a scenery. Rooms were clean, nice and okay equipped.

The issue is drinks. It's in deep Indian area, selling beer, wine and spirits is prohibited. One can stand one day, at least :)

Garden and the Scenery.

• Written January 1, 2012

Garrett Desert Inn, Santa Fe, NM: Centrally located

Garrett Desert Inn is located in central Santa Fe and is within walking distance of Loretto Chapel, San Miguel Mission, and Palace of the Governors. Nearby points of interest also include New Mexico State Capitol and Museum of International Folk Art and multiple restaurants to those who walk around museums.

Have to say, it is expensive but only in sense of our Route 66 strategy, it was worth of the price (160$ for two person room). Here you are close to activities in the city and the personnel was helpful and friendly ("you can drive to L.A in 22 hours" and we had 8 days left!)

Pool included and we got fellow mates with 20 motorcycles with us.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average

El Capitan, Gallup, NM: Almost original

This is the level I had hunted. Almost original setup from oldies. No extras, no breakfast (which in our side of the glope has to be included), no free coffee, no *****, not even ***, but it was cheap, clean, friendly lodging; close to services and amenities and I would stay there again (and I did it in several similar places).

The hostess was Indian (i mean east Indian, not American) and she helped in all issues I could arose (or, to be honest, she tried to, the results were not so high level. But she tried).

On later states of Route I noticed that clean bathroom and working plumbing is not always standard service (and here those were OK).

47$ for two person room (close to cheapest on our route).

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

The Big Texan, Amarillo, TX: Don't even think to pass this

The Big Texan Motel "combines the comforts and conveniences of today with the ambiance and decor of the late 1800s" they say in web pages. True.

In 1960, R. J. “Bob” Lee opened The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo on Route 66, the “Mother Road. Its distinctive architecture soon became recognized across the Mother Road as a good stopping place for great steaks grilled over an open flame.

In the early 1970s, Interstate Highway 40 muscled its way across the country replacing Route 66 as the major traffic lane. Bob Lee purchased land along the route for the new highway. He and his family built an new, bigger and better Big Texan Steak Ranch fron the ground up along I-40.

We paid 68$ and that is reasonable.

There is a horse hotel too, so it you have only one horse power there is space for him too.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Motorcycle, Road Trip

Super 8, Oklahoma City, OK: Normal base chain stuff

No complaints, it is good and clean, but does not provide anything special. Our intention was to find original feeling of Route 66 and this is far of it, but it is our fault, not motel's. To be honest, this is perfect when travelling with car from A to B and you are with your family.

Riviera Roadsite Motel, Joplin, MO: Fake Italy, American owned, mute and deaf

Oh, what a nice sign they have with lot of promises. The room was not bad at all, no minuses and no pluses but the atmosphere and attitude of personnel was something I have never found before in U.S. I have understood that the service is always No 1, but probably clerks where deaf and mute. But to be positive. I needed a tool to repair my new bought belt and the hammer was the one. I asked that from reception and I got it! Without a word, but I got it and repaired my issues. ++ for this service.

In the evening we would like to have a dinner and as being European we taught that 9pm is perfect timing. Only one place was open, no lights on the road, no walk around, the area was planned for car (and we had motorcycles). How on earth you Americans can drink some beer? Are you drinking the beers before dinner, at 10 pm the environment was empty and dark. In U.S?!

We found a nice Italian based restaurants, took pizzas and some beer and the personnel was cleaning and sweeping the room almost all the time so we taught that they would like to go home. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the restaurant, it's some 1500f from this motel. Go and eat but before 9 pm.

Free internet they say, but at least to us it was free, when you walked 400 feet and took the other motel's connection. Reasonable but not so customer oriented.

The other unique was the pool. There was a pool, but instead of water it was full of leaves. Low season is not an excuse, 60F is not an excuse, 5F would be.

Cheapest on our route 45$ for two. Final result=ok, but only because of the hammer.

America's Best Value Inn, St. Louis, MO: Base stuff for economy travellers

After rainy day everything is ok. In normal condition I would say that this is inconvenient, dusty and dark, but it was dry enough, we were wet and freezing after 3 hour shower drive. Price was ok, 67$ for two and the scene and location was perfect to our purposes.

Plus bonuses, we got our motorcycles to open garage.

Free coffee, toast and fruits in reception.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Motorcycle, Road Trip

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

835 Inn - Springfield IL: Nice and friendly

We came on late evening and got one of the last rooms. Exelent room and served breakfast was definately ok for our first stay in Route 66. The only minor minus was ONE king size bed for two men, but it was not Inn's fault, our choice was to take not to leave to look for next hotel. (The price was 127$).

The Inn is on the National Register of Historic Places and has been honored as a Springfield landmark by the City of Springfield.

Sage Inn Motel - Santa Fe: shuttle service

Slightly more expensive than other accomodation in the South West, but under average prices compared to other Santa Fe hotels. Rooms nice & spacious, free shuttle service to the Main Plaza or Museum Hill. Service efficient but less friendly than elsewhere in the U.S.

• Opinion of Price: about average

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

San Juan River Inn - Mexican Hat: with riverview !

As accomodation closer to Monument Valley is quite expensive, this is the best option in my opinion: With a view of the San Juan River, only 20-25 minutes driving time to the Monument Valley, competitive rates and a good diner opposite the motel.

Parry`s Lodge - Kanab, Utah: Movie History

From the 1950`s to the 1970`s, Parry`s lodge was basically the headquarter for every film crew working on a Western movie in one of the picturesque locations of Southern Utah. The motel is proud of its history and has many star photos and movie billboards. The rooms are very nice, the rates competitive, and in summer they show free Western movies in the "Old Barn". Friendly service, too.

Kanab is an excellent base for Mount Zion Park (and 7 other parks).

Excalibur Hotel Las Vegas: medieval theme

The casino is not very attractive, and the interior less spectacular than other Vegas hotels, but the rooms are great, and the Excalibur has usually bargain prices, making it a very cost-effective base. Located at the south end of the Las Vegas Boulevard.

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Elaine`s Hollywood B&B: No "home away from home"

Despite a good location near Hollywood Boulevard and nice rooms, I would not recommend to choose this B&B. Unfriendly owners, overpriced, and the base levels smells like wet dog. Plenty of other options in L.A.

very close to Hollywood Boulevard

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written December 5, 2011

• richiecdisc profile photo richiecdisc
  • Reviews: 5956

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

the good ones are good though: be careful with USA hostels

The United States has a form of accommodation for all types of people and all pocketbooks. From swank Five Star Hotels to roadside fleabags, you'll find what you are looking for. As a rule, rooms are not particularly great value compared to similar level countries. While I prefer to camp when possible and use roadside cheapie motels when driving long distances in a day, there are some decent hostels in the USA too. That said, there are some awful ones. I've been eaten by bedbugs from Fort Collins, Colorado to Savannah, Georgia. The US just does not seem to get the idea that a hostel can be a clean nice place to stay for all ages. If they ever get it together as a group, it could revolutionize accommodation in this country.

When you do find a good one, it can be great. We've had good experiences in San Francisco and there was a very cool place in Taos, New Mexico on our last big trip. Check my individual pages for potential hostels in areas you are traveling to.

• Related to: Road Trip, Camping, Budget Travel
  • Written June 20, 2010
Tip Photo

D at our groovy Taos room

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful