Hampton Inn Boise

More about Boise

Natural Stone FountainsNatural Stone Fountains

Idaho State Capitol Dome in BoiseIdaho State Capitol Dome in Boise

Boise Train Depot Atrium ViewBoise Train Depot Atrium View

Rafting in Class III & IV rapids, Payette River,IDRafting in Class III & IV rapids, Payette River,ID

driving questions for trip from Seattle to Boise

by gsamowitz

Hi,
We're planning to travel to Boise from Seattle around Thanksgiving. Airfare seems kind of pricey for a 8 hour drive, but I am concerned about snow. I have no idea what mountain passes and elevation will be. We plan to leave around 11/22 and return 11/29. MApquest has us travelling from Yakima on I-82 and then merging onto I-84 in Pendleton Oregon until we hit I-184 in Boise. Is this the best route? What kind of terrain will there be? Should we concerned with snow. I drive a front wheel drive Saturn. Thanks in advance!

RE: driving questions for trip from Seattle to Boise

by travelforlife

If you fly on Southwest Airline it would cost you $100 per person roundtrip. Since you will be leaving tomorrow it would be too late to get it for that price. Going on I-82 then to I-84 is the fastest route that I know. By the time you leave from Seattle there shouldn't be any road problem in Idaho and Oregon should be ok too.

Travel Tips for Boise

Conservative Idaho

by JetlagCity

Idaho is a very conservative state politically – possibly the most conservative state in the nation. Nearly all elected officials are Republicans. What little political debate there is here seems to be between the moderate and right-wing sections of the Republican Party, rather than between different political parties. Boise isn’t as right-wing as the smaller towns and rural areas of the state, but still, it’s more right-wing than many other places.

The high percentage of Mormons living here is one source of this conservativeness – about 1/3 of Idahoans are Mormon (less in Boise), and the church of Latter Day Saints (i.e. the Mormon church) is very influential both politically and socially.

Richards $$$, Vista Del $, El...

by bejso

Richards $$$, Vista Del $, El Gringo $, 10-0-2 $$, Flying Pie $, Louie's $, Beanery $ (with and outdoor patio). In order; French? tasty sandwiches and great soups, Mexican, yummy cuisine, pizza, Italian, mom's cooking (maybe).
Enough restaurants to keep an army occupied.

Idaho Capitol Building

by atufft

The Idaho Capitol building is less ornate on the exterior stone work, at least, than any of the other state capital buildings that I have seen, however, I was prevented from getting too close as the building is surrounded by chain link fencing, and by signs reporting that restoration is in progress. The building is located on a slight rise above downtown. The relatively tall and narrow center dome, which is capped with a gold leaf covered eagle, and the flanking office buildings that house the executive and legislative offices were built over a long period from 1905 until after 1919. The finish stone was quarried from the nearby state-owned Table Rock Quarry. Neither the center entrance, nor any other entrance that I could see, were inscribed with dedications to inspire those who enter. However, half dome skylights on the flanking office building suggests that the interior legislative chambers could be quite nice inside. Hopefully, I can get better images in a future visit.

My Home Away From Home

by JetlagCity

"Boise, Idaho"

I lived in Boise on and off for a total of ten years, and I still go back at least once a year to visit relatives here. Boise is right between the mountains on one side and the desert on the other. It’s a small capital city, rather lacking in diversity, of about 180,000 people. You can always tell who’s from here and who’s not by how they pronounce Boise: outsiders say Boy-zee, while those in the know say Boy-see.

Boise, like all of Idaho, is a great place to be for outdoor activities and recreation. Hiking, skiing, kayaking, mountain biking, and fishing places are all close by. The climate is very dry – about the opposite of where I live now (Seattle)!

Some of my photos here were taken mainly to have pictures of friends, rather than to document the place, but they’ll have to do. I decided to build this page anyway, since Boise is somewhat underrepresented on VT.

This picture was taken along the Snake River Canyon about an hour outside of Boise.

Comments