Owyhee Plaza

Satisfaction Average

More about Boise

Anne Frank MemorialAnne Frank Memorial

Idaho State Capitol Dome in BoiseIdaho State Capitol Dome in Boise

Boise Train Depot From Capitol BoulevardBoise Train Depot From Capitol Boulevard

I think they called this "riding the bull"(not me)I think they called this "riding the bull"(not me)

idaho trip stopping suggestions

by bocmaxima

Hi all and thanks for reading.
First off, this is mainly a question for those who do NOT live in Boise, as I think the answer from those who do would be "Yes!" out of hometown bias.
I have a pretty extensive trip planned where I'm driving with someone to Boulder, and then spending a few days driving alone through Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, into Utah, and then back to Arizona. I've never been to the former three.
It's a long trip, and I want to create that unique balance between not rushing too much and still seeing as much as possible.
I've heard mixed things about Boise. I would like to at least check it out, but it's not exactly on my route, and would be about a 4 hour detour west. So would it be worth the effort and time to go for it?
Also, I would be using the back route from Missoula to Boise via Salmon. Anything I shouldn't miss on the way? If I skip Boise, I would still use that route and head to Salt Lake.

Thanks in advance.

RE: idaho trip stopping suggestions

by EllenH

I have never been to Boise but I have heard it is a cool town. I live between Missoula and Salmon in Hamilton. When are you going to be around?

RE: RE: idaho trip stopping suggestions

by bocmaxima

Probably Sunday, 14th. Based on what I've heard from asking people I know from the area, I'm probably going to skip Boise and spend time in Preston (since I'm a "Napoleon Dynamite" fan). I'd like to do Salmon/US 93 but may not have time.

RE: RE: idaho trip stopping suggestions

by cottonwood

I live in Sun Valley, Idaho south of Salomon on your way to Preston and Salt Lake City. Forget Boise if you have a short time to detour. It is a nice city, but at the same time is just another big city with a couple nice city parks, shopping mall and the Idaho Capitol building. Sun Valley is more along the way, beautiful mountain scenery between Salmon and Sun Valley. Sun Valley is easier to get a quick veiw of with it's big ski hill aka "Baldy" and its great restaurants and shops in Ketchum(the "downtown of Sun Valley").
As for Preston, definitly fun to see for that movie connection. I did that myself last fall driving back up from Salt Lake City. Stop at the Chamber on main street to get your map of the movie spots and buy your cheesie tokens from the movie for X-mas/Birthday gifts. I spent $75 on X-mas gifts myself. Fair warning thou, only one hotel in Preston and it's not exactly the best, better if you just do a drive by and stay in Salt Lake City.

Travel Tips for Boise

Real estate boom.

by crazyk

The city of Boise is experiencing a huge inflation of house prices because of the growth, houses that cost around 130k last november are going at 160k now, so people from other states are investing here.
Forbes magazine rated Boise number one in the nation for owning a business, so more people are on the move, if anyone is interested, stay in the city of Boise, the closer to downtown the better.
The outlying areas of the city and suburbs are experiencing way more traffic and has less appeal than the older and established neighborhoods.

The Crescent Bar for an old...

by mcmustang

The Crescent Bar for an old dive, or Goodwood Barbecue for brand new place.
The Crescent is a No Lawyers bar - no lawyers allowed! Be sure to wear your sunglasses before you open the door - it's DARK inside! The Crescent Bar for the best Finger Steaks on the planet. Goodwood Barbecue - best is the Pulled Pork sandwich.

Jaialdi - Basque Festival (downtown portion)

by WulfstanTraveller

I have already posted one tip about the Jaialdi Basque Festival, which takes place every 5 years and draws Basques from around the world, but this is specifically about the part downtown.

Before the big events at the fairgrounds (see the other tip), there are various events downtown, culminating in a big festival on the Basque Block, with street food, music, dancing, and more. It lasts late into the night.

The website below is for the Basque Center, which is on the Basque Block, and is the best place for information on this.

Boise-capital city

by Idadelf

Boise is a great place to live, a nice size city with small town feel. Good shopping, dining, cultural, university and recreation.
We have 4 distinct season and great places to play. Like skiing, white water rafting, fishing,golfing, mountain biking, camping? We have it and it's close. Into cultural things, art, clubs, opera and sports? We have it. Couldn't get any better.

Comments