Red Horse Mountain Ranch

Tags

Family Travel Horse Riding Adventure Travel
See Amenities

Disappointing Communication

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 3, 2013

I wish I were able to post a glowing review of Red Horse Mountain Ranch. Instead I experienced their inflexible and impersonal cancellation policy and substandard communication while holding a non-refundable $900 deposit.

• My reservation was confirmed for 25-31 August
• In late July I was hospitalized for a serious medical situation and was advised not to travel and remain close to medical facilities.
• On 29 July I contacted Red Horse Mountain Ranch to explain the situation. The Office Manager informed me that because I was within the 45-day window, the ranch would not refund my $900 deposit nor honor a date transfer unless they were able to fill my reservation. I was also told “this is what trip insurance is for.”
• The following week I received further diagnosis and was advised to begin treatment immediately. The Oncologist provided a letter stating that I was not authorized to travel due to my condition and ongoing treatment.
• I provided this letter to the Ranch Office Manager on 2 August 2013 and was told that she passed this information on to management and I would be contacted as soon as a final decision was made.
• I followed-up with the Office Manager on 23 August (three weeks later) when I hadn’t received any reply. Within 45 minutes I received a response from the Office Manager that management will not offer any refund or date transfer.

I understand and respect the need for a firm cancellation policy since the ranch can only accommodate a limited number of guests each week. Although, as a resort that prides itself on knowing the names and the needs of each guest visiting the property, I would expect a personalized experience when dealing with management on a reservation change/cancellation due to a serious and documented medical condition. I’m disappointed that a business which claims to place the utmost importance on the experiences of their guests would refuse the opportunity to have a personal conversation with me to discuss whether an agreeable compromise exists which mutually benefits the business and guest. Instead, my $900 non-refundable deposit barely even bought me the courtesy of their reply.

the best ranch in Idaho by far

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 13, 2007

We've just come back from a stay at the red horse mountain ranch in idaho and we have to say it was worthe every penny - not just for the facilities but also the wide range of activitieswhich included everything from white water rafting to mountain bike tours and even archery. My son is now a true water baby while also having a love of horses - obviously riding was an attraction for us. The accommodation was luxurious and while this is a guest ranch it by far excelled other guest ranches where we have stayed in previous years. The price was one of the first questions we had when speaking to www.ranchrider.com the company that organised our holiday but they assured us having visited the ranch last year that it would by far exceed any expectations and we have to say that it did. The accommodation was beautifully furnished and we even had a deck to sit out on - we were also close to the main lodge whch served up some super meals including wild game which was my favourite! an eye opener for the taste buds. Definitely recommended for someone with a family who wants a little more adventure - but the scenery was glorious and the horse back riding truly enjoyable.

Unique Quality: the wagon ride - as evening entertainment this had the thumbs up from everyone in the family, the ranch also comes with it's own amphitheatre - not something we've encountered at other ranches - wonderful staff

Directions: we booked a transfer to the ranch from spokane through Ranch Rider

Nearby Red Horse Mountain Ranch

• Shuttle Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Harrison Travel Forum

Need advice about Harrison, Idaho? Visit the Travel Forum for Harrison and ask our Answer Gurus.

Harrison Travel Guide