Holiday Inn Express Arlington Heights

Holiday Inn Express Chicago Arlington Heights
Expedia.com IHG Priceline.com

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Another HI Express

Holiday Inn Express, as a chain, is pretty consistent. However, as the chain gets older, there are some properties that have been poorly managed and have gone into disrepair. This is not one of those properties though.
    I got this through Hotwire at the last minute when we decided we were going to come up a night early. I paid roughly $40 base for the room and got two doubles.
    Check-in was probably the quickest I've ever been checked in anywhere. Good thing too, because we were coming off a long drive and the last thing I wanted was to chit-chat with a front desk clerk.
    The room was nice, the internet worked well, things were clean, and the bed was comfortable. That's all I can ask for.
    We hit the breakfast in the morning and they had the usual HI Express fare, including rice and some Japanese soup base. There's a great Japanese supermarket basically across the street, and it seems to be a hotel popular with Japanese, so I guess that's why. Kind of a nice surprise, and not unique to this hotel (we moved across the street the next night and they had the same setup).
    East on/off I-90 and traffic isn't ridiculous most times of the day on the streets around there. Plenty of restaurant options (the food court in that Japanese supermarket is great) around, some even walkable.

Unique Quality: Very nice lobby and good staff

Directions: I-90, Arlington Heights Road exit

More about Arlington Heights

MitsuwaMitsuwa

Scupture of The Bart & John Henry RacingScupture of The Bart & John Henry Racing

Beautiful Architecture of Arlington ParkBeautiful Architecture of Arlington Park

Allan at table in Million Room at Arlington TrackAllan at table in Million Room at Arlington Track

Travel Tips for Arlington Heights

New Arlington Park International Race Track

by deecat

Arlington Park International Race Track was completed in 1927; then why does it look brand new? Well, in 1985, the beautiful race track and club house burned to the ground!

But let's go back a minute. In 1927 H.D. Brown from California decided to open a race track in Arlington Heights, Illinois, because it was only 23 miles from Chicago, and it was accessible by train. Thus, he purchased about 1000 acres of farmland and hired 500 workers to complete a grandstand that could seat 20,000 people.

Arlington Race Track operated all through the Depression. After the Depression, facilities were added to and remodeled and part of the undeveloped property was sold in 1955 to develop the nearby town of Rolling Meadows.

Tragically, in July of 1985, Arlington (owned by Richard Duchossois) burned down, but Duchossois would not let this gorgeous track die. He hired workers to work around the clock to clear all the fire debris. There were 250 truckloads of debris removed each day!

Today Duchossois still owns Arlington, and it is majestic. Inside marble and brass are used extensively. The predominate colors are White and Green, and lots of beautiful wood is also used.

I know some who read this will think that I am biased; however, most everyone in the racing world agrees with me.

In October of 2002, The Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships was held at Arlington Park. Only world class places have that opportunity. The landscaping of Arlington is magnificent. Each racing season, I marvel at the multitude of brilliant flowers throughout the Park.

There is always something happening at Arlington such as music, giveaways, or fireworks. Besides, it's just great fun to watch the people, check out the horses, admire the jockey "Silks" (clothing).

Thank goodness Richard Duchossois had the courage to raise this "Phoenix" from the ashes!

Take a walk

by kaloz

Arlington Heights is best discovered at a slow pace. So get out of your car, and walk. There are very pleasant walkways which will take you to small greens, and you will your stroll even though you are in a city. Looking at the fall colours, and strolling along the paths. This picture features my father.

Competitive Racing of Horses

by deecat

Competitive racing of horses is one of the most ancient sports. Its origins were among the "prehistoric nomadic tribesmen of Central Asia who 1st domesticated horses about 4500 BC!"

In the beginning and for thousands of years thereafter, horse racing was known as the sport of kings and nobility". Today, horse racing primarily exists as a legal venue for gambling.

Horse Racing is a very popular spectator sport in the US, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Western Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and South America.

The most popular form of Horse Racing is THOROUGHBRED horses racing over flat courses at distances from three-quarters of a mile up to two miles. This kind of racing even took place in the ancient Greek Olympics by 638 BC. In the 1700s, the professional sport came about in England under Queen Anne.

The British who came to America brought horses and horse racing with them. As an organized professional sport, horse racing did not arrive until after the Civil War.

At first, there was no central governing authority; thus, criminal elements surfaced. By the 1900s, an American Jockey Club ruled racing and eliminated the criminal elements.

There was a decline of interest in horse racing in the 1980s, but there has been a resurgence of interest today.

People go to or watch on TV such races as The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness, and The Belmont Stakes.

I think that it was such great horses as Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, John Henry, Sea Biscuit, and Cigar that brought back the "Sport of Kings". Since Horse Racing is a Spectator Sport, you only need enthusiasm, perhaps some money (if you plan to bet), and a love of the fabulous Thoroughbred horse.

Ironically, as much as I love horses and horse racing, I have to keep my distance because I am allergic to horses!

23 Miles From Chicago...

by deecat

"Arlington Park Race Track"

I didn't know how else to write about Arlington Park Race Track other than placing it under its city location, Arlington Heights.

Arlington Race Track has been a part of our lives for 40 years. When we lived in the western suburbs of Chicago, we would go quite freqently. I was a novice at betting on horses so I selected them by their name or their color. I didn't even know how to read a race program to discover all the really important information.

Over the years, I have learned a great deal, especially from my husband Allan who studies the Racing Form before going to the track.

I like the ambience at Arlington Park Race Course as much as I enjoy the races. It's an exciting atmosphere in an absolutely lovely location. I've been to several other race tracks, and I think that Arlington is, by far, the nicest one.

It's a place where you can bring your children without fear. There are numerous activities geared to the children, and there is even a special location for families where they can bring a picnic and eat trackside.

For a great afternoon or evening of fun and excitement, visit Arlington Park Race Track in Arlington Heights, Illinois

Comments