Ambassador East, Omni

1301 North State Parkway, (formerly Omni Ambassador East), Chicago, Illinois, 60610, United States

PUBLIC Chicago
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

The Ambassador East Hotel & The Pump Room

I don't know why I find it so unsettling to stay overnight in places like this which have such an illustrious history about them. In its 1930s and 40s heyday The Ambassador East Hotel along with its attached restaurant, The Pump Room, played frequent host to such Hollywood icons as Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Cary Grant, Marlene Dietrich, Judy Garland and her then young daughter, Liza Minnelli. Old blue-eyes himself, Frank Sinatra along with his "Rat Pack" of Sammy Davis Jr. and Dean Martin, used to hold court in the restaurant's famous "Booth One". The bar and restaurant are also mentioned in the famous "Chicago" song.
    Although extremely well-kempt and clean, I imagine the hotel has changed very little since its the silver-screen era and it appears as though they have done as much as possible to maintain the hotel and restaurant's historic value in an airless time-capsule. My stomach feels queasy yet excited as I walk the corridor to my room; as though I can sense ghosts of famous intoxicated men in Fedora hats and chain smoking starlets hovering all around me.
    While waiting at the elevator, I begin examining a transparent glass pipe running from floor to ceiling before realizing that it's a pneumatic tube--the ones they used to use for transporting messages around buildings.
    Returning later in the evening from dinner, my stomach full to a painful bursting with Chicago's famous deep-dish pizza, I hear the most wonderful jazz music floating from the doors of the The Pump Room. A female voice croons sweetly in an magical lounge style that I have only ever heard in movies. I resolve to go upstairs, wash quickly, change into some clean clothes, and come back down to the bar to see what's going on. Unfortunately, once in my room I lay down on on the bed and pass out immediately only to awake the next morning.
    There are doormen at The Ambassador East Hotel, dressed in smart uniforms, displaying impeccable by-the-book manners. There are extremely rich people staying here; I can tell by the way they're dressed--coming in and out in suits, Polo shirts, designer dresses, and sometimes with pastel sweaters tied around their necks. Somehow I feel like I don't quite belong here--I'm not famous, rich, or even high-class. I'm just an average dude who lucked out and chose this place at random based on good Internet reviews and a cheap rate. However, I'm glad I did. The Ambassador East and The Pump Room are a part of Chicago's history that should not be missed.

• jls274's Profile Photo

Wonderful Experience!

I stayed int the Ambassador East. A beautiful hotel with extremely kind people working there. I was snowed in and they were great about us extending as as accommodating as possible. Also, when we were taking a shuttle to the airport, we were mistakingly put on the Hotel Van instead of the airport shuttle- same price, but when we went to pay with our debit card, and found that the van guy couldn't take it, he payed for most of our $40.00 trip, himself because we didn't have the cash! My fiance offered to leave me as collateral while he ran inside the airport to an ATM, but the guy told us it wasn't necessary and wished us a nice flight.

Unique Quality: Great historic restaurant downstairs!

• KARLPORTER56's Profile Photo

Very Nice HOTEL in a safe part of the City.

We arrived early and landed a room about 10 floors up on the corner.. One window faced Lake Michigan the other faced the Hancock Building,, Couldn't ask for anything more.. It was priced very reasonable, The concierge guided us to the subway.. the staff was helpful and friendly..I have no idea where they parked my car...but they did for a nominal fee but kept it safe and drove it to me everytime I wanted it..This is located in a very safe part of Chicago..A short Walking distance to Lake Michigan, Gino's Pizza, Hancock Building and many more sights.. I really don't see how you could get a better deal ..

Unique Quality: Watch out for the cabbies.. They are very aggressive.. One came very close to running over my son in front of the hotel .(perhaps while he took this picture).. He was looking up and not paying attention.. Fortunately I grabbed him and got him out of the way.. the cabbie just acted like nothing unusual just happen..I guess for him he is use to almost running over kids.. For me I quickly realized that this is Chicago and everybody is in an extreme hurry... I don't know why .,..For some reason I felt like Chicago even has more bustle than NYC...

More about Ambassador East, Omni

Great Staff, vintage hotel, not an Omni anymore

by TripAdvisor Member stardate

This Historic hotel has character. The staff made our stay very enjoyable. We were there June 8-12, 2006. When we arrived we were unhappy with our room, disappointed,room hot even with A/C running at MAX cool and blackout curtains drawn. Bathrooms have no fans. We had an additional night stay on Sun because of flight schedules (Hotwire hotel prices had gone up significantly by the time we found the good airfare prices, plus with Hotwire we didn't know where we would end up, even with 4 stars.) We immediately made other reservations at both The Drake and The Omni. (We used our cell phones, EACH local call $1.15 whether connected or not.)
Ambassador East Staff was tenacious, yet courteous and professional in their efforts to keep our business at the Ambassador East. Oumania was upfront about wanting to keep our business with them and upgraded our room to a suite on the opposite side of the building (no afternoon sun) .We received the upgrade whether we or not we stayed the extra night. We decided to spend our entire time at the Ambassador East, partly because the cost was significantly less than the Omni or Drake but also because the Ambassador East staff was friendly and helpful plus the upgraded suite was more what we were expecting from the original booking on Hotwire.
We were not exactly thrilled with Hotwire's policy of not knowing the hotel until AFTER you pay. We only tried Hotwire because friends we were going with recommended Hotwire, they had gotten The Drake for less than we got the Ambassador East. The bottom line for working stiffs like us is PRICE. We will probably use Hotwire again,but we will book as early as possible. As it was we booked about 2-4 weeks after our friends (who have used Hotwire for the same timeframes and have gotten The Palmer House and this time The Drake, both for less than we paid for the Ambassador East) and we paid $150/night for the Ambassador East, they paid $112/night for The Drake. The Ambassador East is no longer an Omni hotel.
I loved the Ambassador East's Business Center (2nd floor), open 24hours, free internet and free printing for my Yahoo! maps of the area. I could check my e-mail but more importantly I could print my SouthWest boarding passes 24 hours in advance.
The Pump Room restaurant was okay (2 comp breakfasts) but pricey. It would have been $47 plus tip for the Chef's Table(buffet), an American Breakfast(2 eggs, ham, potatoes, toast), coffee and juice. The Pump Room itself was cool, B/W pics of celebrities from "the good old days". Staff there was also very nice.
We did not rent a car, mostly because of the high daily valet parking rates $36/day in/out privileges, covered garage Across the street was a public parking lot $29/day, not sure of in/out rights. The parking in Chicago was expensive, about $10-15 minimum, $20-30/day rate.) We would stay at the Ambassador East again, if the price was right (less than $100 night).

Loved it, would return, historic hotel in the Gold Coast

by TripAdvisor Member adk989

I found the Ambassador East to be great. The location is great, tucked away in an elegant neighborhood. The hotel is historic, the lobby is beautiful. They are in the midst of a renovation of their rooms and we stayed in a room with new bedspreads, new bathroom amenities, etc. I am pretty picky about my hotels but nevertheless would return to the Ambassador in a second.

Great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member janet123

We booked this hotel through Priceline and were worried after reading the mixed reviews from other visitors. We needn't have worried because everything was excellent from the moment we stepped through the door in to the splendid lobby area, to the very pleasant reception staff and friendly gentleman who showed us to our room. The room was very large (particularly by English standards!), beautifully decorated and lacked nothing. We had been a bit doubtful about being further north than we had wished to be but the area was excellent. A lovely quiet residential area only two blocks from the lake and only a few blocks north of Magnificent Mile with plenty of good quality and good value restaurants within easy walking distance. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Chicago - a wonderful city made even better by staying at the Ambassador East - I would recommend it to anyone.

Comments