3901 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60653-2105, United States
Booking.com Priceline.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Amber Inn

Streets of ChicagoStreets of Chicago

view from cloud gateview from cloud gate

bike path in navy pierbike path in navy pier

huhhuh

Anyone know what kinda area the AMBER IN off of Michigan ave is like?

by felony4000

Me and my girlfriend are comming down from Detroit soon and I have us a room booked at the amber in. We plan on staying there and rideing the Green line up into downtown.. Any advice or suggestions? we have never been to chicago so Iam unsure of the area that the Hotel is in.

Re: Anyone know what kinda area the AMBER IN off of Michigan ave is like?

by Dabs

Amber Inn at 3901 S. Michigan Avenue? You don't say what you are doing while you are here but it's several miles away from most of what people come to Chicago to see.

It wouldn't be my 1st choice of a place to stay in Chicago. Stateway Gardens, one of Chicago's housing projects is about 3-4 blocks away and while they gentrifing the Bronzeville area, it's not what I would consider a "safe" area to stay in. If you do stay down there and have a car, make sure you don't have anything sitting on the seats, hopefully they have parking for the hotel otherwise park as close as you can, and personally I would not take the el or buses late at night or walk around late at night.

There are some reviews of the Amber Inn on Trip Advisor, you might see if you could contact one of them to see what their experience was in that area, it got better reviews than I would have expected.

Perhaps you are looking for a more urban experience and that's fine if you are but if you'd rather stay closer into the city you might give Hotwire or Priceline a chance and see if you can get a nicer hotel for about the same money. Keep in mind though that parking in the center of the city will be expensive, weekdays the best rate I know of is about $24 per 24 hours.

Travel Tips for Chicago

Free Days

by cheap_tourist

If you are into museums and the like, you'll be pleased to know that several of Chicago's must-see attractions have "free days" during which their admission fee is waived. The institutions and their free day/s are:

Field Museum - Mondays and Tuesdays; Sept. 15 - Dec. 23, 2003

Adler Planetarium - Mondays and Tuesdays; Sept. 15 - Dec. 23, 2003

Museum of Science & Industry - Mondays and Tuesdays; Sept. 15 - Nov. 25, 2003; also Thanksgiving Day & Christmas Eve

Shedd Aquarium - Mondays and Tuesdays; Oct. 6 - Dec. 23, 2003

The Art Institute of Chicago - Tuesdays

Lincoln Park Zoo - Free Everyday

I missed the "free days" so I had to buy instead a Chicago CityPass worth $49.

Sears Tower -- it rules :)

by londonlover

Go to the top of the Sears Tower! It's a breathtaking view from the observation floor. I recommend getting there just before dusk--then you can watch the lights come on for miles. Just make sure you pick a day when the clouds aren't low--if you do, all you'll see is fog from the top!

Just walking by, you can get a sense of the immense height involved here--it's really stunning, and I'm not all that easily impressed. :)

In the back of a police car

by KaiM

After arriving at Chicago's Greyhound station I had to take public transportation to get to my youth hostel. Still in the Greyhound station I asked a cop where the next subway stop would be. He asked me where I wanted to go and then told me that I would even have to change lines. I never expected what happened next, but the police officer offered me a ride through town to the hostel. Wow, that was friendly. It was fun to take a ride in the back of a police car through Chicago. Luckily without any handcuffs on :)

Wanna know more about the Chicago Police Department (CPD)? Visit their website:

Don't miss life imitating art!

by shrimp56

I dropped by the famous George Seraut painting "La Grande Jatte" [made into a musical if you can believe it -- as well as a cover for a Land's End catalog.] But I digress -- or maybe not -- where does the line between life and art get drawn? Hard to tell in this picture!

Lake Point Tower

by deecat

For many years (since the 70's), I've admired Lake Point Tower apartment building near Navy Pier. Believe it or not, although it was built about 1967-1968, the concept began about 50 years earlier.

How? Well, famed architect, Mies van der Rohe in about 1921 made plans for a glass-clad tower for offices made of free, curving forms. That building was never built because he could not find financing for it.

However, the actual architects associated with Lake Point Tower were former students of Mies at the Illinois Institute of Technology. Some of them actually worked in his practice.

This is a sleek, very sophisticated tower that, at one time, was a lone sentinel in Navy Pier Park. At the time that it was built, Navy Pier was at its low and in disrepair, horribly neglected. Of course today after a $200-million investment of public funds, Navy Pier, is now one of Chicago's most popular attractions. Lake Point Tower Apartments is really tall (645-feet high). There are 900 very expensive apartments here. Atop the building is the exclusive Citi Restaurant (We ate dessert with coffee there once, and the bill was over $40.00!)

The building really has only one wall, and it is a completely smooth curtain of glass that literally flows around "a 3-lobed, clover-leaf plan with a central, triangular core."

I remember the the 1970's going there to see one of our neighbor's grandparents, and I was awe-struck...I still am today!

Comments