Belden-Stratford Hotel

2300 Lincoln Park W, Chicago, Illinois, 60614, United States

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Art Deco Gem in Lincoln Park!

Ian, my son, and I stayed here this past spring (May 2009) and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. It's a gorgeous art deco building with lovely detailing inside that remind me of the Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza downtown Cincinnati.

I paid $195/night for a 2-bedroom apartment that included kitchen, living room, more than ample closet and drawer space, iron/ironing board, safe, and hair dryer. Downstairs is a breakfast area for Continental breakfast (including croissants, bagels, and oatmeal) as well as a spa, workout area, and drycleaners (warning: NOT OPEN on Sundays or holidays).

Coffee supplies in the kitchen are well-stocked daily, the shower pressure is fantastic and the water hot (if you need it) and the hotel supplies lovely smelling soap (oatmeal-scented), shower gel, shampoo, shower caps, and even needle & thread if you need it (just inquire at the front desk).

It's less than a $15 cab ride from Union Station to this area of Lincoln Park. I believe we paid less than $9 to get to Joe's Stone Crab downtown.

Our room was on the 15th floor and afforded lovely views over Diversey Harbor.

Unique Quality: Across the street is the fabulous & free Lincoln Park Zoo! We loved it! Please see my Lincoln Park Zoo tip in the Things to Do section.

One of the best budget bistros I've ever dined at is located right in this hotel, Mon Ami Gabi. Ian even avers that his steak here was THE BEST he'd ever eaten (even better than Joe's Stone Crab)!

Lou Malnati's (my favorite deep-dish Chicago pizza) delivers here as does Ranalli's, a long-time Chicago pizza joint that serves a thinner crust pizza.

The #22 (Clark) bus runs along Clark street downtown past Congress Pkwy (near Buckingham Fountain) and north through Lincoln Park, just past Wrigley Field and to the Green Mill (Uptown Poetry Slam). The #151 (Sheridan) bus has a stop at Fullerton & Stockton or at various points along Lincoln Park Zoo.

We loved it so much here, that we decided if we ever won the lottery we'd love to own one of the apartments in this hotel!

Please look at my travelogue for more photos:

Photos: May (Memorial Day Weekend) 2009

Directions: Along Lincoln Park West on the corner of W. Belden Avenue.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Other options for busy travel periods

If you are having a hard time finding a room because of a convention or the Chicago Marathon, here are a few ideas.

Evanston I think this is the best suburban location because of it's location next to Chicago and the access to Chicago's public transporation system (CTA, buses and Metra commuter trains). There are also many fine restaurants in Evanston.

Oak Park the closest suburb to the west, you can take either the el or Metra to get into Chicago

O' Hare airport hotels most of the airport hotels will have shuttles that go back to the airport where you can pick up the blue line CTA to the city, it takes about 45 minutes. O'Hare hotels are cheaper than downtown hotels and excellent rates can usually be found on Priceline or Hotwire

Midway Airport hotels about 30 minutes from the center via the Orange line CTA, check to see if the hotel offers shuttles back to the airport

Lincoln Park Belden Stratford and Windy City Inn are two are the options located in this safe fun neighborhood of Chicago
    B&Bs

Vacation rental by owner Private apartments rented out by owner, lists them by neighborhood VRBO

More about Belden-Stratford Hotel

Lincoln Park-French bistro near the zoo

by Dabs about Mon Ami Gabi

Last visit April 19, 2008

I love French bistro food and Mon Ami Gabi is one of my favorites in Chicago along with Marche and Brasserie Jo. This is one of the Lettuce Entertain You restaurants and there are several locations, Las Vegas, Bethesda, Oakbrook which is a suburb of Chicago and the original one in Lincoln Park located in the same building as the Belden Stratford Hotel. It is within walking distance of the Lincoln Park zoo so you can combine your visit to the zoo with an early dinner here. During the warmer months, there is dining outside on the terrace but I always seem to go in the colder months.

On a recent Saturday night, the restaurant was very busy but service was efficient and friendly. They even comped our dessert after they broke a wine glass next to our table.

Reservations can be made at I almost always get the same thing when I come here, I start off with the Onion soup au gratin ($6.50), a sweet soup chock full of well cooked onions and croutons topped with loads of cheese. By the time I'm done, I'm almost full, it's large enough to share.

For an entree I select one of the many steak frites ($19.95), sometimes the bordelaise with carmelized onions and red wine sauce, sometimes the bearnaise with tarragon shallot butter, sometimes the steak classique, all come with a hearty portion of crispy frites.

For dessert, I always get the bananas foster crepes ($6.50), a crepe filled with ice cream, covered in bananas and caramel sauce and a dollop of fresh cream. The portion size is huge, one dessert, two spoons.

Entrees run from about $15-$30, appetizers $8-10.

The Belden-Stratford Hotel

by BeatChick

The Belden-Stratford Hotel II

by BeatChick

"Belden-Stratford Hotel"

Lake Michigan view from the Belden-Stratford HotelLake Michigan view from the Belden-Stratford Hotel

WNBA Games -- Hotel

by Sagillie5

My daughter and I plan to attend a couple of WNBA games at the UIC Pavilion. We are looking for a moderately priced hotel that is safe and close to public transportation. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We're not sure if it would be better to stay some place as close as possible to the Pavilion or to stay someplace downtown since we are also planning to tour several places in Chicago while we are there. Chicago has so many places to visit that our problem is narrowing our list down.

RE: WNBA Games -- Hotel

by midnight_mike

First, the UIC area is not a place you want to stay. It is a developing area... meaning it is a mix of good and bad. I don't even think there are many hotels around there.... I would stay downtown. I live in Chicago so I have never stayed in a hotel there. I used to live by the Belden Stratford Hotel, which is across the street from the Lincoln Park zoo and two blocks from Lake Michigan. I have heard good things about it. It is about five to ten minutes from downtown. The bus stop is not far away. While staying downtown, you will be close to a lot of attractions However, there will not be many places open at night. Have fun and hope the Sky win a game! Check out my Chicago page as I have a list of things to do

by Sagillie5

Thanks for letting us know that it would be better to stay downtown rather than near UIC. Is public transportation safe and available at night after the games?

I liked your Chicago tips and suggestions. We had checked on Cubs games, but my daughter thought they were all sold out. After reading your suggestions, we might want to give the ticket brokers a try. I also appreciate the tip of using a train/taxi combo as that is something we'll consider as well.

by ljbs

Public transportation is quite safe even at night. Check the Chicago Transit Authority"s web site for routes, passes, and the excellent Trip Planner:
http:/www.transitchicago.com