640 N Wabash Ave, Chicago, Illinois, 60611, United States

Holiday Inn Express Hotel Cass
Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Hotel Cass/ Holiday Inn Express, Chicago, IL.

When I checked in I explained that last time I stayed at this property my room was very small & would like something larger. I was told that "...we are a boutique hotel & all are rooms are small, but they would upgrade me to a larger room".

Because of my job I carry a tape measure in my brief case, my room was 10'-6" W x 10'-0" L With a queen size bed this left apx. 3'-0" of space on both sides of the bed & the foot to move around. They provided a "Book Table" as a desk (Similar to the to the type of table that you would place behind a couch). This was the only place in the room where I could park my 22" Roll Aboard Travel Bag this left apx 15" of clear work space on the desk. Eventually I set my computer up on the edge of the bed so I would have space to spread out files. etc. The desk chair was a compact "Vanity Style " chair designed to fit under a counter top. Useable by a child but far too small for your average 5'-11" male business man. Ther were three (3) electrical plug-ins in the room, barely adequate to charge my cell phone, computer, bluetooth ear phone, & GPS. I carry a compact power strip, because this is a frequent problem in many hotels.

The Hotel Cass/ Holiday Inn Express, Chicago, IL. is a good budget hotel that would be perfect for an individual tourist traveler. If I were traveling to Chicago with my wife for a long weekend the small room would not be adequate for two adults. It is my opinion that this hotel is not oriented or adequate for the typical business traveler.

Unique Quality: Average Budget Priced Tourist Hotel

Directions: Near Michigan Ave. Good Location

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Holiday Inn Express - AKA Cass Hotel

The Cass Hotel on Wabash in the River North neighborhood - just a block from Mich. Ave - is now a Holiday Inn Express property, and they are putting this in the "discount boutique" category of accomodations. This means you might be able to get great rates here, but that you shouldn't expect the same size of room, nor the same level of accoutrements as in other hotel properties nearby. My room here was perfectly acceptable - a little on the small size, but decent - although the in room shower was a little tight. The lobby is small, and the "continental breakfast" on offer was essentially the same as you might find in a cross-country Days' Inn. But again - the rate was great! I was able to stay here in February 2009 at a rate (pre-tax) of $39 a night. (A Hotwire Deal.) Location, location and location are three factors that I really appreciate about this place!

• Iteris's Profile Photo

Cass Hotel - Great Location At A Good Price

The Cass Hotel seems to be a popular hotel. After staying here in June 2005, I discovered why:
    * Excellent location in safe part of the city.
    * Close to local shops/restaurant/transport links
    * Good sized rooms
    * Good prices
    * Friendly service.

Unique Quality: As soon as you leave the door of the hotel and look up to your left, you see the Hancock Tower rising into the sky - You know you're in Chicago!

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Tourist area hotel with ok prices.

When we drove into Chicago, we just picked a hotel at random and that happened to be the Hotel Cass. I think we got lucky since the hotel rates were reasonable for a downtown hotel (about 100 US dollars) and the staff were very friendly about where to go for food and some music.

The hotel room I had was plain by any standards and was comfortable. It was like your average hotel. The lobby feels like a colleg dorm and the rooms are a bit on the old side, but the place will save you cash for your Chicago adventures and still keep you happy. I've been to this hotel now on 2 seperate occasions and have no regrets.

Parking is in the nearby parking lot and cost about 20 US dollars a day. I suggest parking your car when in Chicago since the traffic can be utterly insane. Don't forget to have the parking ticket validated by the hotel for a discount.

There's tones of stuff to do around the hotel, with a nearby University to offer some interesting funky places to go to.

UPDATE: It's now a Holiday Inn. Same hotel, modernized, without the Sea of Happiness now (saddly), and same prices. Was still the same place but with newer decor and a bigger TV :)

Unique Quality: Good location down near Michigan street. A small bar in the front of the hotel is friendly and a great place to grab a drink before, and after your evening excursions (now gone!).

Directions: Corner Wabash and Ontario. 2 blocks or so west of Michigan.

• Best Budget Hotel Downtown!

I'll be honest. I was a bit skeptical about staying at the Hotel Cass after I read a traveler review on another website. This traveler complained that this hotel must "charge by the hour," if you know what I mean. I did share an elevator ride with, what I assume was, a prostitute. That was within the first 10 minutes of my arrival.
    I can't tell enough people about that.
    The Cass Hotel has small rooms and it is definitely older-looking. However, I will NEVER STAY ANYWHERE ELSE AGAIN!

Cass hotel is a great place!
    Location, location, location!

Unique Quality: Location, Location, Location

1. Catching a cab is almost too easy right outside the door.
    -also, ESPN zone is down the street and that attracts plenty of cabs.

2. You can walk to subway stations very easily

3. You can walk to Mag. Mile (5-10min)

4. You can walk to Navy Pier (25min)

5. You can go around the corner of the block and sit on steps of an office building for a quiet smoke.

6. McDonalds, Rainforest Cafe, Hard Rock, and several late-night clubs are two blocks away on very well lit street!

I am DONE paying $120 for a cramped room that isn't walking distance from anywhere! Stay at the Hotel Cass.

Directions: Mag. Mile

Wabash and Ohio

• Best Deal Downtown

A block or two away from the Magnificent Mile, this is the best hotel for budget travellers in Downtown Chicago. The rooms are small, but not cramped and they are clean, but not pristine. The service is excellent!! There is a cafe and a lounge downstairs and many restaurants nearby. Laundry facilities and nearby parking with a discount..

• eduar68's Profile Photo

$60-80

Unique Quality: If you are the kind who enjoys the basic comforts of Motel 6 but hate to be completely away from the action this is the place for you. This is a no thrills place, sure, but you are just a block away from the 'Magnificent Mile'

• hayward68's Profile Photo

Cass Hotel

I believe we paid $80 a night for a room with two double beds. Four of us split the cost, but that was a few years ago.

Unique Quality: Well, this place wasn't anything special, but it was clean and the cheapest we could find. There's a lounge downstairs where you can get a drink and even a small cafe. The regular elevator broke down the day we left and we had to use the service elevator.
    It was conveniently located though, a parking garage close by, lots of bars, the shopping, all within walking distance.

• TracyG's Profile Photo

Chicago on a budget!

The rooms were a very decent size and had a nive view. The staff were very helpful and even arranged baseball tickets for us.

Unique Quality: It is in an outstanding location, within walking distance of all major sites. It has a fairly nice bar downstairs and it is not going to break the bank staying here.

Comments