800 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60605, United States

Chicago's Essex Inn
Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Close to Everything! Walk to Museums, Grant Park,

We arrived on Tuesday, July 20, 2010 around 2:00pm for a two night stay. We were allowed to check in early. I asked for a room facing Grant Park. I was told those were only Suites but she'd do the next best thing. We were given a wonderful room on the 14th floor. We were able to look out our window and see Grant Park, Lake Michigan, Soldier Field, The John G. Shedd Aquarium, The Field Museum of Natural History and the Adler Planetarium. It was a great view! Below us we could see the covered pool and the open patio on the fourth floor. The pool was large, clean and they had plenty of chairs. The sauna was nice. The Garden Patio was beautiful with a wonderful breeze even in July. Our room was clean and updated with two beds, a desk and chair, a wide screen TV, a refrigerator and an iron and a hair dryer. The bathroom was clean and tidy. The mattresses were comfy and I slept through the night. We only had two very minor problems: 1)There were only 3 sets of towels for 4 people 2) We had to call down for a shower curtain. They had taken it down to wash it and forgot to put up a clean one. When we called, they were there in less than five minutes and installed it very quickly. We had breakfast in the Savoy. It was adequate but expensive - $54.00 for 4 for breakfast. On our last day we asked for a late checkout and were allowed to check out at 12:00 noon. The valet parking was $74.00 for our stay. We thought that was expensive but our car was safe and arrived in the condition we left it in. All in all we had a very good experience at the Essex and felt completely safe walking around everywhere day and evening. I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Unique Quality: Fabulous View
    Close to Museums
    Grant Park across the Street
    Safe
    Large Pool
    Wonderful Sun Deck on 4th Floor

Directions: On Michigan Avenue Across from Grant Park and next to the Hilton.

• skatzcatz's Profile Photo

Chicago Essex Inn

The Essex Inn met our requirements for a Hotel with adequete facilites.

Unique Quality: Indoor rooftop pool provided the opportunity to swim while the snow was falling outside.

Directions: Chicago's Essex Inn is located on Michigan Avenue, right across the street from Grant Park.

• 2rs's Profile Photo

Accomodation at the south loop

The room was clean, but could use a renovation. No ensuite safe deposit boxes and refrigerator/minibar.
    You may considder staying here if you get a room for a reasonable pice, way less than $100. This was bellow my expectations of a $200 room, but the price may have been beefed up in relation with ongoing conventions. I've seen others mentioning staying at the Essex Inn at rates less than $100, and that is are more fair price compared to its standard.

Unique Quality: I had a view of the Sears Tower form my room. Internet access and printer is available for free in the lobby and you may also hook up your laptop to their broadband connection, but there is no internet available in rooms.
    I did not get to try the fitness room and pool so I can't say much about it.

A few places worth mentioning near by is Buddy Guy's Legends blues club which is located one block away, and the South Loop Club wich is a nice bar/restaurant serving meals til late.

The location is a little bit of the area where things happen since most shopping and evening enetertainment is happeng further north on Madison ave and you may often find yourself walking, taking a taxi or the bus up north. The CTA (bus) stops right outside the hotel.

Directions: Located across from Grant Park at 800 S Michigan Avenue.

• wreckloose's Profile Photo

In The Middle of it All

I remember staying at this hotel the second time I went to Chicago and I had the time of my life. Aside from the fact that the homeless people outside can be a nuisance, you're within walking distance to everything.

Unique Quality: The Essex Inn located in the heart of the city on Michigan Avenue... across the street from Grant Park and just steps away from the Museum Campus Of Chicago. It has a beautifully landscaped rooftop garden and deck with views of Grant Park and Michigan Ave on a warm day.

Directions: From Ohare International Airport you take the I 90/94 East Toward Chicago. Exit At Congress/290 East To Michigan Avenue. Right On Michigan Avenue about 4 Blocks To 8th Street. The hotel is on the South West corner Of 8th and Michigan.

More about Chicago Essex Inn

Cheap and smelly

We stayed here for the Taste of Chicago and the room was ok but the bed smelled like someone crapped on the blankets. It was late so I didn't call down to the desk to get another, I just threw the blanket off and tried to get some sleep breathing in that awful smell. Other than that it was ok.

Nice stay

by TripAdvisor Member dboy36

Stayed at the Essex on July 17th. We were in town for the weekend to see a Cubs game and had stayed at the Sheraton the last time we were in town so we wanted to try something different. We arrived early (noon) and check in time wasn't until 3. They had a room ready for us so, we went up and unpacked. We were on the 4th floor right by the pool across from the elevators. We were a little worried about noise from the pool or elevators but it didn't bother us at all. The room was a little small but we were only there to sleep in it so it didn't really bother us. Had lunch at the Savoy restaraunt in the lobby and enjoyed it very much. We loved the location of this hotel. Very close to Navy Pier and the new Milenium Park. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We would stay there again.

A good value

We came for the Bayern Munchen v. Manchester United soccer game on July 25th. The room was $109 for 2 double beds. Big enough for myself, husband, and 2 kids. The room wasn't beautiful, but it was clean and the price was right.

Nothing special

I stayed at the Essex Inn for two nights, 7/23&24 and found it to be pretty average. It was a combination of the good and the not so good.

The Good: Great location for visiting the Museum Campus. A short, and pleasant, walk (15 min.) to the Field Mus. and Shedd Aquarium. Hotel provided a free shuttle service to Navy Pier (and the Mag. Mile). Nice swimming pool. Very helpful Bellman. Helped us with our bags, directions and getting a wheelchair for my mother-in-law upon check-in. Top notch service from him. Decent on site restaurant. Only ate breakfast there. Hard to screw up pancakes and french toast, IMO. But the service was up and down. Decent price. After including all the taxes and daily parking fees it came to $120/nt.

The Not So Good: Room was pretty worn around the edges. With a few less amenities than I usually get (no coffee maker, no in-room microwave or mini-fridge). Noisy locale. Maybe that's typical of being downtown, but the El sounded like it was right outside the window. The outside wall of the room was a floor to ceiling window. Which, I suppose, makes the room brighter and gives you a nice view (Of what, though? Our room just faced the Hilton across the street). But I think the glass wall also let in more street noise. Service without a smile. Other than the Bellman's professional manner, no one else on the staff we encountered seemed to act like they enjoyed working there, much. Attitudes ranged from indifference to borderline resentment for having to deal with us.

A pool and convenient access to the Museum Campus were two important features we wanted and the Essex supplied both of those. However, on our next trip to Chicago, if we stay downtown, I will search around for another place that offers those same features.

Good & Bad

This is my second visit to Chicago. I booked the hotel theough Hotwire.com, which iswho would a pretty good deal. I had the rate of 71$ per night. The small lobby is surely elegent and modern, even though is relatively small for such a big hotel. The staff was VERY friendly and polite. I did not have a chance to check out the pool on the fourth floor, but many people said it is nice. I was given the top floor with partial park view and could see Navy Pier. The room is a little bit outdated and the the major problem is in the bathroom. They really need a little bit renovation in the bath. But, if you are not a person that would stay in bathroom more than 10 minutes, it is not a big deal. I think the rate and service is fear, considering its location and complementary service! Have a nice trip!!!

Best Deal in Chicago

One of the best deals in town. I've stayed at the Hilton across the street a few times and decided to give the Essex a try because it's much less expensive. Well, the Essex turned out to be much nicer than the Hilton, which tends to be run down. The Essex has good sized rooms for Chicago and the views were great. Ask for a Lake view. We were so close to the Musuems and the hotel had convenient transportation to and from. The pool and workout room were the best I have ever seen. I will only stay here from now on.

Comments