Club Quarters Wacker At Michigan

River Hotel
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

• Tuesdaysraven's Profile Photo

Good deal

I stayed in a single on a pretty cheap deal from the www.hotel.com website. Accordingly I didn't have a view of anything much, there was only a shower and no bath and the room was reasonably small. However it was comfortable, safe and the location was pretty excellent for all the tourist spots I wanted to visit.

It was just across the bridge from the Chicago Tribune and the Magnificant Mile and as a single female traveller I was happy walking around and back to my hotel on my own after dark in this area. The Millennium Park, Cultural Centre, Navy Pier and Lake etc ... are all well within walking distance and the trolley tour bus stops almost opposite.

Unique Quality: There is a river taxi just across the bridge which will take you back to a stop just by Union station for $2 which is great if you are hauling suitcases and feel like enjoying the view.

Directions: Within walking distance of the Greyhound and Amtrak - just head into the Financial district and then follow the bridges up to Wacker. The hotel is a couple of buildings down from the Corner Bakery close to the bridge which leads onto the Magnificant Mile.

More about Club Quarters Wacker At Michigan

You get what you pay for at Club Quarters

by TripAdvisor Member badnan

This is the second time I've stayed at this location, ONLY because of the price($94 per night) & where it is located, in the middle of everything. We, family members and I, called 6 months ago for reservations, requesting to be all on the same floor. Four days before we were to arrive, we called to confirm our reservations. So far, so good. When we arrived we were NOT put on the same floor! The man working at the desk on 5/27/05, couldn't have cared less about putting our family on the same floor. I truly believe he saw that I was with small child, and proceeded to put me in a TINY room, #1915,(which the desk, chair and queen size bed took up ALL the floor space), while the rest of my family was put elsewhere. My daughter and I had no room whatsoever to put our suitcases and carry-on bags. So we piled them on top of each other in the closet with one small bag on the desk. This room had a view of Michigan Ave(between a couple of buildings). We also did not have a blanket on our bed, only a sheet with a bedspread over that. I had to go and get a blanket out of a closet that was down the hall. One day after returning to our room, I noticed that housekeeping took the dirty towels(that we placed on the floor, per instructions)but never replaced them, leaving us with two washcloths. Once again, I went to the closet down the hall to pick up some towels. I always thought that a blanket and towels were pretty much included with the room. Needless to say, housekeeping never received a tip from me. If you request a frig in your room, as my sister & brother-in-law did, I believe you'll get a larger room. They actually could walk around their room(#2014)! I guess it is true, you get what you pay for!

Never again....

My husband and I stayed at the Club Quarters in November. We don't get to Chicago very often and my main focus was shopping and eating. The location was excellent for both. However, if the cost one pays for a hotel is only based on location - I say go for it. If one wants breathing room, friendly service and ambiance - I say find somewhere else. I love my husband but the room was so small we were all over each other (and not in a good way). The staff was very unfriendly and seemed to dislike their jobs. The ambiance - there was no ambiance! Obviously we will not stay there again and would not recommend Club Quarters to friends or even foes.

Most Unique Room in Chicago

I found the Club Quarters through a budget travel site. At $101 a night in summer, it was a bargain! Check-in was automated (no waiting in line!). We asked for a high floor and were sent up and up and up to a 12-story tower that sits atop the hotel. The entire floor consisted of just two small guest rooms, the elevators and stairs! Room was small but modern with stunning views of Chicago River and city skyline. Location is awesome. Parking is extra and can be expensive. Try it out...and ask for the highest floors!

Not bad, not that great either

I stayed at Club Quarters in the middle of October. The painting/picture used in the advertisement of this hotel is misleading. I was disappointed when I pulled up to the hotel and realized "this is it."

The best things going for this hotel is its location and room cleanliness. It is in the middle of everything. Just a short block to the shops on the Magnificent Mile. It is a short walk to Uno and some other good pizza joints. It is also very close to an economical parking garage which is perfect after a long day of driving. You don't want to walk a long distance to get to your hotel after parking just to save a couple of bucks. It is also around the corner from a convenience store.

The rooms are small, the elevators are slow, the staff could be more cordial, the staff could feign interest, and the hotel from the outside is nothing to look at. The doorman upon my arrival offered little help with my bags. He helped me with the first round (heavy bags), he brought one in and I brought in the other, and on the second round he didn't offer to help and I wound up bringing in my laptop bag and gym bag. The ICE Machine is located all the way down at the bottom of the building. It is either one or two floors below the lobby. This is silly, why not have an ice machine on each floor like the hotels I have stayed at? I found this hike for ice disturbing.

The night clerk was helpful in providing me with high speed internet access. A different doorman allowed me leave my car at the curb to run up to my room to pick up a FedEx envelope. This was nice, but I specified when I called to confirm the package had arrived to leave it at the front desk so I could easily retrieve it. Remember, the elevators are slow and I was concerned that I would get a ticket or worse, get towed.

You have to go down the hall to a utility closet to get your iron and board. I didn't care for this little touch. Are we breaking the bank by having 3 irons in the utility closet instead of one per room? The closet is large enough to fit these two items.

I think that my take on this place is skewed since I have stayed at two other hotels close to this property -- the Marriott on N. Michigan and the Hyatt. Both of these properties are far superior to this one. I got stuck with the Club Quarters since there were several big conventions in town that already had locked up most of downtown's rooms.

My take on this place is also slanted because I paid a lot more for my stay at this place than the aforementioned properties. Again this was a factor of a busy convention week.

If you have a choice, stay elsewhere, unless everything else is booked in this area.

Decent Room - Decent Price

We recently stayed at CQ Michigan which was wedding headquarters for a large group of attendees. The location was wonderful - in the heart of town and even the room size was adequate (we had a microwave, bar sink, etc.). The room was comfortable and clean and lived up to the web site. However, the elevator system was very poor. Only 2 elevators and frequently one was out of service. For the number of people they serve, this was not adequate. And parking was out of the question - we were quoted $20+ a day with no in and out. I recommend taking a taxi everywhere (even O'Hare). The front desk/lobby is small and checking in takes some extra time when there are several arrivals at once. The hoel restaurant, Bella, is a real plus and they are open early AM to late evening. Food was excellent. The real shocker came when we checked out and discovered that the published rate was not quite what it should have been: there was a $13 per person/per day extra charge if more than one person stayed in the room (i.e., a spouse). That should have been disclosed up front - so be prepared for it!!
All said - we would probably stay there again now that we know what to be prepared for.

Even the 'big' rooms are tiny

by TripAdvisor Member dk_1111

I've stayed in this hotel at least 5 times at four different price levels ($85, $99, $117, $172). There is no major difference in the rooms for the price. Take the cheapest room you can get then ask for something you might need when you check in. All rooms are small most have ironing boards, they'll bring you one in a flash if you don't have one. One thing I can say is that the staff is great! very courteous, helpful, professional . . . I've stayed in an $85 room that had a frige and one that didn't. You just have to ask when you check in if you really need something. I don't recommend staying here longer than a few days especially if you are with another person. One more thing to note. All rooms have showers, no bath tubs.

Good weekender hotel in great location

by TripAdvisor Member Cheesehead1

This is a classic 1920s building recently converted into a hotel. Prime location near corner of Wacker Drive & Michigan Ave. overlooking the river. I thought room on 23rd floor was fine, typical city-sized room, not huge but no penalty box. I suspect rooms on floors T26-T40 are much smaller than 11-25, because the upper floors are half the size of the lower floors, and have far fewer rooms.

Building thoroughly modernized. Bathroom, heating/cooling system, windows, furnishings, decor & queen bed were all A-OK. Room was quiet with minimal city noise (this is DOWNTOWN CHICAGO, after all.) Library of books in room was a nice touch. Cozy lobby with gas fireplace, and up some marble stairs above the lobby is a guest lounge with comfortable sofas, big screen TV and good computers with free hi speed internet. All public areas seemed freshly updated and clean. Staff was efficient and attentive. Elevator is secured and requires room key to operate...a minor nuisance but offers security.

Restaurant was nice & good breakfast but a bit SLOW on the day I was there. (Sunday A.M.) Parking at 111 E Wacker is convenient, less than 1 block away and hotel will validate ticket for a discount. Walking distance to Michigan Ave., State Street shopping and theater district.

This is a good hotel in a good location for those who just need a place to lay their head, with no need for a fancy name or extensive public areas.

My goodness....it's tiny

Location seems to be the hotels best feature---size is absolutely NOT! The room appeared to have been cut in half at one time in history and it could'nt have been more that 7 feet across. The bed looked miniscule but my husband & I have a king-sized bed at home, so it may have looked smaller than it really was. The bed was comfy, everything was very clean and the room had a "quality" look about it. It was just SOOOOOO small.
I loved being close to the river (we were there for dying of the river green for St. Patricks Day) and the Corner Bakery is right next door. The restaurant on sight was very good & the waitstaff was helpful in doing concierge duty for us.

Cool place, great staff!

by TripAdvisor Member CupcakeToo

My boyfriend and I stayed here based on the reviews on this site, which I can usually depend on--and again, they were right!

The hotel is very nice inside, the location is prime, and the staff is one of the Best we have ever encountered, and I have travelled worldwide. The rooms are smaller, but if you think about it, what is missing is the vast expanse between the side of the bed and the main window, and who uses that Anyway?!

Great things that made up for the smaller size (and my boyfriend is 6'2" and had No problem with the hotel at all!)are the small kitchenette, with coffee maker and supplies for morning java, the bathroom and it's nice shower, and the bed was very comfortable! Ask for a room higher up and enjoy the great view! We were not disturbed by any noises, nor elevator troubles, in the least. There is also a nice desk in the room, for your laptop. Once more, the staff here will do everything in their power to make your stay wonderful!

We Will be going back ,and we will be staying at CQ! There is also a small cafe in front of the hotel that had a very good breakfast, and looked busy at night with casual cocktails and Italian food that looked great.

Remember that you are not moving in for good, and once you get in the room, you will find you have all the space you need!

paying too much?

by dancer2005

Is it worth $175 per night to stay at Club Quarters Wacker at Michigan. Called everywhere and everything was booked. Didn't look in the suburbs.

by YVRDave

If you wish to save money, The Extend Stay Chicago in Bedford Park is 79.99
I understand it is near Midway Airport
Club Quarters is in an area that is more central gets pretty good review but apparently has small rooms

by ljbs

Bedford Park is not a very concenient location if you want to be downtown. Hotel discounters usually give a choice of location and type of hotel. Try using one of them to find a better price.

by gomexico

Bedford Park? Please, don't do it.

Hotels in Downtown Chicago proably average the price you've been quoted. However, the advice to check the online booking services is good. Have a look.

by redreign

i have no idea how long you will be in chicago. If for a short period (less than 4 days) STAY DOWNTOWN or near the El at least (I would prefer near north/northwest side)! Please do not stay in Bedford Park. I would definitely agree with those people above about checking online. Hope this helps.

by emilie1972

$175 seems high for club quarters. As noted above, the location is great, but the rooms are small and the service limited. checkout hotelclub.net also, but stay downtown, it will be worth the extra cost.

by YVRDave

Chicago is at 110% occupancy for that period so i suggest you take the Club Quarters

Comments