520 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, Illinois, 60605, United States

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 27% lower than similarly priced 3 star hotels

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Congress Plaza-strike finally over

5/30/13 update-The Chicago Tribune this morning reported that the strike, which started on June 3, 2003, is over. That's a 10 year strike!!!!

This isn't a statement for or against unions, the workers at the Congress Hotel or the hotel management since I'm not all that familiar with the issues, just a warning to anyone considering staying there.

Workers at the Congress Plaza Hotel have been striking since June 2003 and from what I understand the protesters are out there every day although not in great numbers and low on enthusiasm now that the strike is nearing it's 4th anniversary. Just my opinion, a hotel with striking employees would not be my first choice for accomodations.

• hunterV's Profile Photo

Downtown Hotel

We, ten Ukrainian educators from Luhansk, stayed in this hotel three days and two nights.
    It was striking to see the old hall, the grand piano - a museum piece - and lots of other well-known places that made that hotel famous.
    I had a good room - I think the number was 1107 - with a view of Sear Tower.
    I felt I traveled in time and I lived in the twenties of the last century...

Unique Quality: Gazebo Restaurant (American cuisine, relaxed atmosphere, big choice of dishes); Tavern Tap (cocktails, full menu & popcorn, electronic games, pool table & big screen television); Fitness Center located in the lower level.

More about Congress Plaza Hotel

Essex Inn or Congress Plaza Hotel--Will be in Chicago in 9 days! Please help!

by sabogg01

Hi everyone I will be in Chicago in just 9 days! I currently have reservations at the Essex Inn. I am still checking other hotels in the area and comparison shopping. It looks like the only thing in the same price range is the Congross Plaza Hotel. If I stay at Congress Plaza, overall, it will cost $20.00 more.
I know that it is a lil closer to Grant Park and all of the other "touristy" activities. Any suggestions?
I can only choose between these 2 hotele as I want something less than $100 a night and close to town (Seems these two are as close as I can get for that price)
Essex is $79 a night and Congress Plaza is $85 a night. All help is appreciated! Many thanks!

Re: Essex Inn or Congress Plaza Hotel--Will be in Chicago in 9 days! Please help!

by Dabs

Workers at the Congress Plaza have been on strike for several years, I don't think I'd change, both are budget hotels so don't have high expectations of either one. The Essex slightly closer to the Museum Campus-Shedd, Field, Adler-both are on Grant Park, unless you are really into walking you'll probably want to take some form of transportation to get up to the Mag Mile. I'd walk it but I like to walk.

by Dabs

Oh and personally I would have a look at Hotrooms.com, Hotwire or Priceline before staying at either of those hotels. It might be too late for your stay but I have friends who have gotten excellent deals on both Priceline and Hotwire and stayed in much nicer accomodations and paid less that you are paying.

Blind bidding isn't for everyone and you really need to check biddingfortravel or betterbidding to make sure you are comfortable with the likely options that you might get. Priceline does not work for more than 2 people, Hotwire does.

by Wendy67

I was going to suggest Priceline as well. I recently got a 4-star on Michigan Avenue for $75 a night. After taxes and fees and such, it came to $95 total.

Comments