Courtyard By Marriott Chicago Magnificent Mile

Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
Booking.com Expedia.com Courtyard.com

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Lodging on the Magnificent Mile

This is a lovely hotel, in a highly desirable area on the Magnificent Mile. Walking distance to many many restaurants, clubs, bars, tourist areas, and the Metra stop. Security measures include a doorman (which seems to be standard at downtown Chicago hotels), and room key to operate elevators.

Room 2005 was large and clean, with a slightly obscured view of the downtown skyscrapers (it was mostly foggy during my stay, so a view was not really expected anyway).

Hotel has a restaurant on the main floor (Viande), which we did not utilize. Very nice lobby/lounge area. Has all the usual amenities of a Marriott (business center, workout room, pool), but because of the short time I was in Chicago, I did not use any of them so cannot comment.

• donpaul77's Profile Photo

A respectable 3 star on the Magnificent Mile

The Courtyard Marriott "on" the magnificent mile is a good value in a great location. The lobby is not grand, but it is nice and the staff is very helpful, including the concierge. My room, though not large, was comfy, clean and well maintained. From the 19th floor facing the river, there is not much of a view.

The bar and restaurant looked nice, though I didn't eat there. The bartender was very friendly, and when I ordered a Patron, offered me a sample of Don Julio first, because he felt it tasted better (and it did!).

I have no reservations about recommending this hotel.

Unique Quality: Of course, the best part of the hotel is the location. It is one block from the Magnificent Mile and within easy walking distance of many shops, restaurants, bars, attractions and the Navy Pier. The Capital Grill is right across the street.

$The price of rooms can vary greatly, depending on what is happening in town!$

More about Courtyard By Marriott Chicago Magnificent Mile

excellent value, best location

by TripAdvisor Member ktkat

Stayed at this hotel for a week over Thanksgiving 2005, from moment we arrived the staff were all fantastic, they couldnt do enough for us and are always ready with a greeting and a smile that looks like they mean it! room was very clean, the most comfortable hotel bed ive slept in and the bathroom very roomy with a fab power shower over the bath (by the way im not easily impressed being a hotel manager myself) the housekepping staff were very considerate and happily came back to our room when we were still in bed with hangovers and they couldnt get in to service it. Front desk staff friendly especially Andrew and concierge service was impressive especially Costin from Latvia, Alex at Viand bar makes a mean martini. Im already planning another trip here next year but will extend it to see more of this beautiful city and make the most of the hotel (didnt get the chance to use the pool or gym)

Great Property

by TripAdvisor Member cliff_rock

Great location, just a block east of Michigan Avenue in heart of Mag Mile. Very clean and comfortable room, larger than I expected. Staff was very polite, courteous, and helpful.

Small pool, but again very clean. Kids loved it, but don't expect Olympic lengths.

Heed the warnings regarding oversized vehicles in the parking garage. It is tight!

Would definitely go back without hesitation.

Wonderful Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member Blakeysmom

I stayed with my husband and five year old son right before Thanksgiving. The defining characteristic of the hotel that made me book it was an indoor pool-a hard find in downtown Chicago. The staff was very pleasant-especially the doormen-they remembered us everytime and helped us out a lot. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area!

Courtyard Mag Mile a great choice

by TripAdvisor Member japw82

We recently spent two nights at this property. I was pleasantly suprised at how nice the hotel was for the price ($79 on TravelZoo). The rooms were clean and spacious. The only drawback was the small vanity/dressing area. The parking deck is attached to the hotel which made parking and handling luggage an easy task. Staff was very friendly and informative. It is a convenient location to Michigan Ave, the Loop, trolley stops, bus stops, etc.. Will definitely return to this hotel.

I'll definitely be back!

by TripAdvisor Member jetsetera

My boyfriend and I went to Chicago for Christmas and New Year's. Over the course of the stay I stayed at 3 hotels in the city. The Courtyard was by far our favourite out of the group. We stayed only one night using my boyfriend's mom's points.

We checked in around 2pm on the 28th and the room was ready for us. We stayed on the 20th floor. The room was a lot more spacious than I expected. The bed was nice and there was a little living room area with a couch and a coffee table. The bathroom was okay. The shower was fine but it took a while for the water to go down the drain. The sink and mirror area is a bit small as mentioned before (I have too many toiletries and make up!).

There's free internet which is awesome. It's so hard to find free internet. There is also free internet in the 24 hour business centre. We didn't use it but that's what they said. There's a pool on the 10th floor but it's only open till 10pm so we missed it because we went out for dinner till late. The workout room which looks good is open 24 hours a day.

There's a mini-Starbucks downstairs as well as a restaurant called Viand. Didn't eat there but would if we had more time. Menu looked pretty good and it looked like a cool space. There's a lot of stuff nearby with Michigain only a block away.

I would definitely come back here again.

Good Value, Great Location

by TripAdvisor Member kellyanner

We stayed at the Courtyard the weekend of the Festival of Lights, the official start of the Christmas shopping season in Chicago. The hotel was booked to capacity, as was the whole downtown, I think from the look of the crowds in Michigan Ave! This hotel is one block off the Magnificent Mile and is well situated For Michigan Ave shopping.

We drove and parked our car in the structure next door, which was convenient, but expensive, as we expected from a downtown parking lot. The front desk staff is very friendly and helpful. Our only complaint was that on Saturday morning we went down for the breakfast buffet to find the dining room only half filled and a line at the door. We were told that we would have to wait 20 minutes for a table. We questioned this...it's a buffet and there are empty tables, and weren't given a satisfactory answer, never really understanding what the problem was. We were hungry and wanted to get out and about so went elsewhere, a great place a block away, recommended by the front desk.

The rooms are nice, not fancy, but good sized newer fabrics and well kept. The rooms have an open closet, which bother me for some reason, but that was really the only drawback in the room.

We had friends staying at the Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile the same weekend. They are three blocks away from each other and for the price difference, we preferred the Courtyard. The only real difference in the rooms was the bathrooms at the Marriott were nicer. So if you're loyal to Marriott, you might want to keep that in mind!

We're going back to Chicago this weekend and staying at the Courtyard again. Hopefully we'll get breakfast this time!

No Problems

Over the years, I've stayed in a lot of hotels in downtown Chicago and I like this one the best. It's small enough so that you don't have to walk miles through a lobby to reach your room and, unlike some of the larger mega hotels in the city, I never feel lost in an expansive and over used common area.

I stayed here for the second time on a recent weekend and found it to be every bit a good as my first visit during the summer of 2005 and as decribed by a majority of the reviewers here. The property is fresh and clean. The staff is attentive without being obsequious and the rooms, while not palatial, are comfortable and clean.

There is nice, small pool area on the tenth floor. With floor to ceiling windows and views of Michigan Avenue, it was a nice place to spend some down time with my young daughter. There is also a well equiped exercise room. Each time I've been there, the facility was clean and did not look overused.

For my young family, this location could not be better. We spend an inordinate amount of time at the Children's Museum on Navy Pier. It's a nice walk in good weather and a short cab ride for those who don't like walking. And, there are all kinds of restaurant options within a block of the hotel - Capital Grill, Bice, Big Bowl, Burrito Beach are only a few that come to mind. But all of Michigan Avenue is just one block away.

I also like the self park option at the hotel. It's convenient and your car is always accessible. However, if you plan on going in and out a lot, you're best served by using the valet service (since you're charged more money every time you take your car out of the garage by yourself).

While not upscale or a five star property, this Courtyard is clean, comfortable and well located and I'd recommend it without reserve.

Another great stay at a Courtyard!

by TripAdvisor Member library1

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Chicago. Based on the reviews from this forum, we booked this Courtyard and we were not disappointed! Smart,swanky and upscale,it was in a perfect location. The room was nice, and breakfast buffet was great. Wirelss internet (and free) was a plus.The bed was very comfortable.The staff was VERY attentive. We would stay there again!

Comments