Dana Hotel & Spa

dana hotel and spa
Expedia.com Booking.com Jetsetter.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Dana Hotel & Spa

I will return to the DANA HOTEL and SPA!

by TripAdvisor Member av721

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Dana Hotel. It was recommended to me by a colleague's friend who lives in Chicago and it was my first time to Chicago. From the moment we arrived, to the moment we left we were treated as if we were the only guests staying there. It's obvious they pride themselves in customer service and anything we needed (like toothpaste!!) was taken care of quickly. The door men, bell hops, and even the hotess for the restaurant downstairs would hold conversations with us opon entering and exiting the building. They were very knowledgeable of the area and recommended great places to eat, sight see, and go out at night. The hotel is located very close to Mag Mile... We walked there and back, I think it's only 4 blocks? It's also located in a great area near alot of restaurants and places to go out.

We stayed in a "Serene King" and it was amazing. We had a corner room with floor to ceiling windows and the view was great. We never felt like we were staying in a hotel, but rather a really nice upscale condo. Everything in the room was modern including the shower which you can view from the bed or pull the curtain for privacy. My favorite part was the shower head that was literally above my head... very relaxing! The bed was very comfortable with an overstuffed comforter. The room was very romantic without trying too hard.

Both nights we stayed at the Dana we went to their "Vertigo Lounge" either before we went out or to close out the evening. The music was very chill and relaxing, but put you in the dancing mood and the seating was pretty comfortable. More like you were sitting in a nice living room with a great view, and very dim lights. We didn't go out onto the "outside patio" because it was just a little too cold outside.

We walked down and checked out the Spa... it looks really nice. We didn't have anything done, but we promised that when we return we definitely will! They also had a nice workout area with equipment I've never seen lol!

We also didn't get a chance to eat at their restaurant, but both nights they seemed pretty busy.
All and all, my boyfriend and I LOVED the Dana Hotel and enjoyed our stay. We recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Chicago. We plan on returning early 2009. I hope this helps your future traveling to Chicago! :)

Asian Small & Big Bites

by shrimp56 about Aja Restaurant

Aja is in the new, trendy Dana Hotel and Spa. Its decor is spiffy, but the food an waiters are top quality with little attitude. It turned out to be a good place to take our friends and their two food-savvy children. Once the waiter realized that the kids "got it," we did swimmingly.

The main dishes were good, but it was the "small plates" that rocked, particularly the K.F.C. -- that is KOREAN fried chicken:) The main dishes were good, but it was the "small plates" that rocked, particularly the K.F.C. -- that is KOREAN fried chicken:)

Good concept that does not work

by TripAdvisor Member Taniquan

Fist let me say what is great about the Dana Hotel-its location. It is a block from Starbucks, Trader Joes, Dues Pizza, movie theaters, and just about everything else. The neighborhood is called Northbridge and it is jumping! One great place a block away is a Champaign Bar which is the epitome of chic!! I wanted to go there because I like Champaign but it was always packed. One night I spotted an empty seat at the bar and landed it. They have a large selection of Champaign by the glass ranging in price from $18-$22. I had two glasses and it was great. I highly recommend this place. There is also an upscale frozen yogurt place directly across the street from the hotel selling avant-garde frozen yogurt where a large one will cost you $10. This place is open until 2am on weekends. And immediately across the street from the Dana is an upscale restaurant which serves dinner until 4am. I tested this out and it is true- I went in at 3 am and got a great fillet minion dinner and the place was packed. People were still coming in at 3:30 am!

Now the downside of the hotel. It is a new hotel and they advertise that the rooms have one wall which is literally floor to ceiling glass and great views of the city. Well my room (which was rather small) had the wall of glass directly across a narrow street from a building of condominiums. So the view I had from my glass wall was directly into the living quarters of about 20 people, and vice versa. It was so bad that at night I would walk around my room with the lights off in my “nighties” and when someone across the street turned on their kitchen light it would light up my room and I would have to grab a sheet and cover myself up. For any privacy you practically have to put the shades down when you are in the room and that makes it just another very small dark room.
Another problem I found with the Dana is that they have a bar on the roof and the access to it is through the same elevators that go to the rooms. I came home one evening and the hotel had a hawker on the street in front of hotel promoting the bar and drawing crowds from the street the hotel. It became quite crowded on the first floor and I had to wait in line to get to the elevator and then went up it with people pulled off the street. It was not a pleasant experience.

When looking for a hotel in Chicago the Dana was the lowest priced 4 star hotel at $172 while competing hotels were in the $300 range. I would say that for the price the Dana is a deal and worth choosing. At a higher price I would think twice about staying there.

Blah Blah DANA

by TripAdvisor Member jamieblue

Far from the best. Ok here's our feel the room layout was poor leaving the rooms with a corporate feel. The unpainted ceilings didn't fit. The showers are nice unless you've already got a nice one at home. The there is the poor lighting in the entire room. Sheets and bedding far from a W type quality end all we won't be back and urge you to head down the street elswhere.

completely ridiculous!

by TripAdvisor Member honeybees28

Stayed in a serenity suite this time around at a lower price due to a poor experience previously at the Dana. I wanted to give them one last shot before I wrote them off completely.

Can I just say, putting someone in a handicap accessible suite when the guests are so obviously not handicapped is ridiculous. Secondly, the pictures are 800% doctored on their website to look more glorious than the rooms actually look. The website shows stone seating in the shower area. Our bathroom did not include this luxury. The website also shows a privacy curtain up on the window dividing bedroom and living area. The room did not have this curtain.

What our room DID have was a lot of broken lighting fixtures, PAINTERS TAPE EVERYWHERE, yes we're talking bright blue tape on various walls throughout the room. Also included at no cost was the abandoned LUNCH COOLER on our balcony outside. This room would normally cost upward of $500 a night. Do you not AT LEAST do a run thru before putting guests in the room? Professional this place is not.

When we called down to the front desk to discuss the issues, we were greeted with blatant rudeness. "Well, I see you had a problem with your stay last time, what is it THIS time?.. If you would like we can downgrade you into a normal room."
My friend and I have never been talked to SO condescendingly.
Surely we will not be coming back. Ever. I'm sure the Trump would provide a higher level of service without the obvious snobbery and carelessness.

On a positive note, there is a complimentary breakfast downstairs on the main floor and it was a pretty nice spread. Delicious granola, fruit, bagels, etc.

But I didn't pay hundreds of dollars for bagels, did I?

Great hotel, Great Locationl

by TripAdvisor Member Jayneann1809

My overall experience was great! The staff was more than helpful. We stayed in a Serene King room. The rooms were average size for a king hotel room. The beds were excellent. The bathroom was on the small size but the shower was larger than a hotel shower and very unique. The bathroom was open to the bedroom but there was a nice curtain to cover the window. The view was of an office building but there were large floor to celing windows that I really liked. We only had a drink in the bar-on the first floor (kinda weird you walk into the restarurant) it was OK. The Dana is in walking distance from many great bars and resturants. I booked online and got a "weekend package" which included parking which is usually $40+ a night and a $50 dollar fuel card, which paid for all of my gas to get to chicago and back. The room only came out to being $303. If I could get a deal like this again I will be back! It was a great experience

2 Thumbs up from a seasoned (and cynical) traveller!

by TripAdvisor Member seattletraveller85

I stayed at the Dana on business, Sept. 17 through 19. I travel quite a lot for business (1-2 trips per month) - and have become resigned to having low expectations - no bed bugs and no mold seem like 4 star luxury.

But I have to say that I was so blown away by the service, the room, the comfort at the Dana. Sure, it is a new hotel, and they are still working on the kinks...I had my "new" bedside tables delivered after my first night. But, that all is trivial. The bed was so comfortable, the room was fantastic. I also have to add, that I got a courtesy upgrade to a nirvana suite - what a pleasant surprise and a beautiful room. But for me, the staff and comfort made my stay. And the continental breakfast in the lounge was a pleasant (and tasty) surprise. Very european - not what you usually find in the US.

I'm surprised by the reviews that list the staff as rude or unfriendly. That certainly was not my experience at all....all were very pleasant, kind and attentive to me - from check-in, room service, concierge, housekeeping and doorman. I interacted with them all and they all made me feel welcome and at home.

The Dana is now the only place I'll stay in Chicago. And that's a first for me. Usually, I'll take the cheapest good enough thing I can find on priceline. But the Dana - it will be worth the extra costs, as I'm sure when this gem gets discovered, it will get pricier!

So - If you are a traveller that knows how to travel (be polite, have reasonable expectations) - then you will adore this place. Remember -
it just opened, so expect some kinks.

First-time Boutique Hotel stay

by TripAdvisor Member Skippy1958

We were in Chicago for a friend's 60th birthday and had selected the Dana for its location (it also was part of the air/hotel package through Expedia). Have to say that we had never stayed at a "Boutique Hotel" before and found the whole experience wonderful! The staff was excellent and very attentive in a sincere way. When we got to our room, the Heating/Cooling register did not work properly. A quick phone call downstairs and the register was adjusted from a remote location. The hotel is located on the Red line of the CTA. It is two blocks from the Mag Mile. We loved the location. We did not eat at the restaurant (AjaSteak) but had a very nice continental breakfast one of our mornings there (included fresh fruit, cereals, coffee, fruit juices, oatmeal, yogurt, bagels and pastry) all for free.

The staff remembered our names and would great us personally in the lobby when we saw them. Overall an excellent experience.

Quirky Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member corndog09

The Dana was very quirky. Mostly in a good way, but in some bad. Some background: my friend and I are college-aged and stayed there for some interviews. We never really felt like the staff recognized us as guests--nobody was ever opening the front door for us and one night they almost didn't let us upstairs (a weekend night) because we both didn't have room keys.

Upon arrival, you have to take an elevator to the lobby from the ground floor. It got to be a bit annoying walking up/down the stairs every time, but that's just me and nothing worth complaining about, but something of note. The check-in was pretty seamless, and we got our room (a cozy king), which was the perfect size for us. The room was very nice--nice bed, nice tv, beautiful bathroom, balcony. It was smaller than most 4-star rooms, but didn't have an exorbitant price to match, and had a perfect location nearby the magnificent mile and trains (though nearby food left something to be desired). Be careful though--the wood floors can be slippery! Turn down service was chocolate covered fortune cookies--very nice!

All in all, I would stay at this hotel again. It seems bizarre that this is a pretty hip hotel that didn't really cater to that crowd, but more to the businessman/retired couple category.

Perfect Hotel in Chicago!

by TripAdvisor Member aprilchicago57

What a great property. It's my new favorite hotel in Chicago. Very hip and modern without being pretencious. The staff is just plain nice - and not robot nice - really nice. When we arrived the doorman welcomed us, asked the name of the reservation, and when we arrived at the "front desk" about 2 minutes later we were welcomed by name!!!

My fomer favorite was the Sofitel just a couple of blocks away - . This is just as nice, staff even nicer and much less expensive. There is a very cool "lobby" bar with a huge fireplace - great for a chilly Chicago night. Great location on N. State Street in the Gold Coast neighborhood. As a Chicgao native - this hotel represents the real Chicago - young, hip. nice, and affordable!

Comments