Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown

Tags

Business Travel
See Amenities
Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

I must be hooked on Embassy Suites!

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 4, 2008

I've stayed in so many different hotels in different places on business trips that, until I checked my own Chicago VT page, I had completely forgotten that it was an Embassy Suites hotel at O'Hare airport I used the last time I was passing through! This time, I received late notice of the IEEE meeting in Chicago so, by the time I tried to book a room, the Embassy Suites Downtown seemed to be the only one with rooms left in fairly close proximity to the convention.

I made an on-line booking with the company credit card and received confirmation back that all was fine, so I printed it out to take it with me. It was a good thing I did, because when I turned up to check-in a couple of weeks later, they had no record of me at all! Stuff like that doesn't faze me, so I just pulled out my piece of paper and they found me a room no problem!

Unique Quality: It was a nice suite (it should be for the final daily rate of ~$300 including taxes and a $5/day internet service charge), the staff was friendly and it is very conveniently located close to the downtown Loop area - but within easy walking distance of many of Chicago's finest buildings. Although an indoor Atrium looks like an Embassy Suites standard feature, I enjoyed my 5th floor view of both it and the street activities taking place not too far below my bedroom window!

The hotel had a free drinks session (spirits, wine, beer) accompanied by various finger food dishes for a couple of hours early each evening, located as seen in a 5th photo view from outside my room. I tried it a couple of times but really, the food wasn't all that great so decided to give it a miss from then onward. What I did like was the comfort of my bed and their Atrium breakfast area at the other end of that large open space. There, you could have your choice of breakfasts with the price already included in the room rate. Made things easy for getting to the distant convention centre each morning by 8 AM! I also picked up one of the small 'This Week in Chicago' booklets in their lobby and tore the downtown street map out of it - excellent to have with me for all my walking tours!

lfllmg's Profile Photo

Good but not worth $300/night

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 28, 2007

The location is great not far from Michigan Ave, next to a subway station (Grant, red line), next to a grocery store where you can buy the one day pass for the subway. There are many restaurants nearby.
A buffet breakfast is included, the egg omelets are good but the pancakes and french toast are awful. The coffee is really bad too.
The room was big, fairly clean, the bathroom fixtures are a little old and could be cleaner. First I didn't like that our room faced an ugly parking lot, that was very very close to our window (see picture No.4) but then I was happy that at least it wasn't facing State St. since we could hear the noise from the street even though we were at the opposite side of the hotel. The bed was too soft for my taste. The rooms don't have wi-fi and 3 out of the 4 days that we were there the business center wasn't working.
Overall I would say that the hotel is OK but not for $300 dlls plus tax per night.

Embassy Suites

by written on March 15, 2003

The Embassy Suites on State Street is a very nice if somewhat isoloted hotel. The room was very comfortable and well kept. Rates are good for downtown Chicago. The center of the hotel is an atruim that goes from the floor to the glass covered roof, all the rooms open up onto the atrium. There is also a full breakfast included with the room rate. The breakfast is an all you can eat buffet with almost anything you could want for breakfast, from eggs and waffles to cold cereal and fruit, a great way to start the day. The only thing we didn't like was the location, it was just a bit to far from Michigan Avenue for our taste. The hotel was very nice though.

Nearby Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown

• Kitchenette
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Chicago Travel Forum

Need advice about Chicago, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Chicago and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Chicago hotel reviews

Trolleys (some are FREE)
Chinatown
Driving/Parking
Transportation
Greyhound/Megabus (U.S. bus system)
Transportation
Amtrak (U.S. train network)
Taxis