Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Chicago Downtown

Orbitz.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Rabbityama's Profile Photo

A Great Stay

The Fairfield Inn and Suites is a great hotel in the Magnificent Mile near the water tower and Hancock Tower. The retro design of the lobby is trendy but the rooms are very typical of any hotel. They are fairly spacious and I found the bed and pillows to be very comfortable and easy to sleep in, which I think is one of the most important factors in making a good hotel stay!

The staff is helpful and there are free brochures in the lobby with local events, attractions, and maps if you are interested. If you don't have your own laptop, there is a computer in the lobby. Otherwise, all rooms have internet access.

I really enjoyed my stay here. It's cheaper than most other hotels in the area, but the price does not compromise quality at all!

Directions: In the Magnificent Mile (just off the main strip).

More about Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Chicago Downtown

Great hotel, Great price!

by TripAdvisor Member Indyuser

A coworker and I stayed at this hotel during our recent trip to Chicago for a convention. Our convention was held at the Palmer House, but the prices were very high there, and in an effort to save money (and get some Marriott points!) we stayed down the street at the Fairfield. We were both trilled by our stay! Although the rooms are small (all hotels are in Chicago!) we found the breakfast a nice touch, everything was immaculate, the street was quiet (we faced Ontario), and the staff was very nice. Additionally, we ended up saving about $200 a day including the cab fees back and forth to the Palmer House (they ran about $6.00 to $8.00). Overall, we were impressed, and when we pointed this out to the other convention goers, they were jealous, as one of them pointed out that they didn't even get a window with their overpriced room!

Great Location, Lousy Room

by TripAdvisor Member Jeff&Joy

My wife and I booked this room for a three day weekend without the kids. Whatever else you want in a hotel, keep in mind that about all you're getting with this one is location.

The hotel is located about a block east of Michigan and the Miracle Mile. Great for shopping, eating, etc. The staff was friendly and fairly helpful. The compimentary breakfast was also good.

Our big problems were room size and noise. This room (queen bed) may be the smallest I've ever booked anywhere. There wasn't even enough room between the bed and walls/tv/desk for my wife to unfold her travel workout mat (about 5 feet by 2.5 feet). The bathroom was also terribly small. The toilet was closer to the shower/tub than it was to the toilet paper. And forget about getting a good night's sleep. The bed was average, the pillows below average. The heating unit was noisy. We were also treated to about 10 times per night of someone dumping glass (beer bottles?) into a dumpster behind the hotel. I don't know if this was hotel staff's fault or not, but even on the 5th floor it sounded like it was right outside our room. Oh, and the hallway smelled like smoke.

The $200 per night rate did not include $35 per day for parking (plus tips) and over $30 per night for taxes. When I go back to Chicago (and we loved our time in the city) I'll book elsewhere, even if it means a higher price.

Wonderful service, even better location

by TripAdvisor Member StacyHR

This hotel was all we needed for our 3 day stay in downtown Chicago. We arrived at 11AM on a Friday and were allowed to check into our room. I had requested an upper level floor and the top floor (the 15th) wasn't ready so we got a room on the 9th floor, which was fine with me. The rooms are a bit small and no space is wasted but it's a moderately priced hotel in downtown, so a smaller room was acceptable. The staff is exceptional and always friendly and willing to help. The complimentary breakfast is fully stocked and has lots of choices like waffles, yogurt, oatmeal, english muffins, bagels, pastries, cereal and juice/coffee. When we checked out on Sunday, our flight was later that afternoon, so the staff held our bags. Overall, we will stay there again and it was a great bang for our buck!

Great Location, Ok Room

by TripAdvisor Member ncross12

We paid $169 a night for this room for the weekend of 12/9. We chose this room for the location and because of being Marriott rewards members. The location is ideal, the rooms were not what I was expecting. I've stayed in nicer Fairfield rooms that were $69 a night. The continental breakfast was by no means "deluxe" as the website states. Overall, I think that for the $$ there are nicer rooms out there if that is what you're concerned with. If you only want location, then this hotel might be a good option.

Get a Suite and you'll love it

by TripAdvisor Member kyushuman

After seeing the generally positive reviews of the Fairfield, with negative comments about smallish rooms, I booked a suite (normal rooms were going for $89+tax with AAA discount on the weekend before xmas, so a suite was only $116+tax), so I spent the extra $27 and was really glad I did.
The suite had two oversized TVs, decent bathroom with great water pressure, and was nearly the size of 2 separate rooms. A pull-out couch, coffee table, and desk, along with a TV in one room; a bed with nightstands in the other room.
Breakfast was actually excellent--I'm really not sure what "Deluxe Continental Breakfast" should mean, but that's exactly what it is: cold Cereals, hot oatmeal, 6 kinds pastries/muffins, waffles, bagels, toast, yogurt, coffee/tea, juices, and more. Arriving at 9:30am, I thought it would be mobbed, but even though it was busy, food was CONSTANTLY replenished--things were kept so neat, in fact, that when I left an empty plate on the counter for a second (because I'd forgotten to retrieve my make-your-own waffle), when I returned to get it, it was already cleaned up!
Simple check-in, friendly staff, and (using my Marriott Silver level) I was even allowed a 3pm check-out.
Location is perfect--better for shopping (North Michigan Avenue shopping, including Water Tower Place, Marshall Field's, Filene's Basement, H&M) than just about any other hotel, other than maybe the Ritz-Carlton or Peninsula. Of course, those cost $400 per night! Within a block of the Fairfield, away from Michigan Avenue, are several nice Japanese restaurants, plus a Chipotle, Potbelly Sandwich shop, Baskin-Robbins/Dunkin Donuts, and coffee places, along with a White Hen Pantry (a 24-hour mini-mart).
We only used public transport, since it's less than 2 blks to Michigan Avenue. So, coming from Midway Airport, it's about 40 minutes; same out to O'Hare. Also, without walking more than 2 blocks, you can get buses to Sears Tower and to the Lakeview/Boystown neighborhoods. Get the $5 per day tourist transit card, and even if you don't use $5 worth, it's great because you can board any bus or train and you never need any money.
If you can get a good price at the Fairfield Downtown, this is really a no-brainer!

Great location, great value

by TripAdvisor Member Belasaria

Although I was only there for one night, the staff was friendly and courteous, always greeting me when I entered or left the hotel. I had several appointments during the afternoon, and I was able to check in early and 'set up shop' in the room before my first meeting.

I didn't have an ethernet cable in the room, but on my return from an appointment, I stopped by the front desk and requested one. No hassles. No problem. I was handed one with a smile and an apology for it not being there when I checked in.

The room was small, reminding me of the Marriott Marquis New York, and the furniture wasn't especially fancy. However, it was clean and while I did spend time in the room working, I didn't feel especially cramped. Granted, I was only there for one day, had a Queen Single, and paid $129/night.

Still, if you're looking for a hotel close to the Magnficent Mile, with a tasty Italian restaurant on St. Clair street close by, I recommend this hotel.

Very nice for the Price

by TripAdvisor Member sea4metoo

This is a nice hotel. Clean rooms, helpful staff and bountiful continental breakfast. Just a block or so from Michigan Ave. Though it does not have it's own restaurant on site, there are plenty of options nearby. I recommend a room on a higher floor, especially if located on the front side of building overlooking Ontario Ave.
Every area of hotel was very clean and inviting.

Fairfield is the best! Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

You can't beat the location of this hotel - right around the corner from Michigan Ave - right where all the great stores are located - short walk to the old water tower etc. Hotel itself is great - very clean - new carpet - well presented - apartment wasn't spacious but wasn't too small either - quiet - the breakfast was excellent - a massive selection of cereal, toast, bagels, waffles, pastries, hot chocolate, coffee, tea and fruit. Staff kept replenshing supplies often - nice and helpful staff - would suggest the Grand Lux Cafe for a nice place to eat - not expensive and was lovely food, nice atmosphere too - cheesecake factory a little further down which was great too. We loved our stay at the Fairfield and have already recommended it to others.

Great for a budget hotel in Chicago

by TripAdvisor Member skyeport

I stayed at this hotel February 17-19, and was very pleased overall. First, the hotel was in a very central location right by Michigan Avenue which made for easy shopping along the Magnificent Mile. Second, the staff was very helpful. They recommended restaurants (good ones!) and helped us get a taxi as there was a -20 windchill Saturday morning when we headed out. Third, the room was very clean and the housekeeping staff friendly and very good at their job.

The room was on the small side as I expected from a Chicago hotel. But the heat worked great, and we didn't spend all that much time in the room anyway. The only negative was the lack of a lightbulb in one of the lamps, but they took care of this problem within minutes of calling the front desk. The valet parking was expensive, but on par with other hotels in the area. The continental breakfast was chaotic, but I was impressed with the efficiency that the staff had in replenishing the food. The breakfast included waffles, boiled eggs, yogurt, cereal, a variety of breads, coffee, and nasty juice (the only downside). I'm not a huge breakfast eater, but my mom was very pleased with the selections, especially the waffles.

I stayed in a room with two double beds, for 119 dollars including breakfast and high speed internet access. I didn't think the beds were all that comfortable, but I had no problems sleeping so no real complaints there. For the price, this is a great hotel choice in Chicago. You might get a slightly bigger room and a more comfortable bed for 80 bucks more, but I was satisfied with the Fairfield Inn and will likely stay there again on my next trip to Chicago.

excellent value

by TripAdvisor Member rpoe

I've stayed at both ends of the hotel scale in Chicago. I was very pleased with my three nights here for these reasons: 1) very clean 2) location great 3)shower was fabulous, hot and high pressure 4)sink outside the bathroom - my wife likes this because she can fix her hair without getting a steam bath while I'm in the shower 5)breakfast was just right, very well maintained and fresh/clean (not a huge breakfast like Embassy Suites but good oatmeal, cereals, juices, milk etc).
It's not glitzy, the lobby does seem like a well kept dorm lobby. The staff is friendly and helpful, but not gushy and overly "at your service." I didn't feel catered to, but felt well taken care of, which was fine with me. I don't have any negative things to say, overall a really nice place!

Comments