230 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60610, United States

Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Lizchiq's Profile Photo

Fun, Interestingly-decorated hotel.

I stayed at the Hard Rock over a long weekend in August; half for work and half for fun. The hotel is located in the beautiful and historical Carbide & Carbon building (a wonderful example of art deco architecture). I was put into one of the mid-level floors and had an interesting view of Michigan Avenue and the river.

The hotel rooms are decorated in variations of gray and black. True to its rock roots, the room had a large etching of the Beatles inside. My room was more spacious than I thought it was going to be (as hotel rooms in large cities can tend to be on the smaller side). It was actually quite large and had a great work space (read: large desk with comfy chair). I really enjoyed the room but had one complaint. The entire hotel was kind of dimly lit. Sure, this inspires a certain ambience that a certain demographic would enjoy at a certain hour (I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the lighting when I came in late after some drinks), but when I wanted to read or get ready, it was a bit difficult.

I tried out the room service for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was quite good; I had the continental platter with all the standard American breakfast fare. For dinner, I had a chicken quesadilla, which was a bit too loaded up for my taste. On top of the chicken, it contained fajita veggies, cheese, guacamole and sour cream. Not exactly what I had imagined, but it was still tasty.

The concierge at the hotel was very helpful in finding me places to eat while I was in town. He recommended two dinners (Japonais and Vermilion) and a brunch (Bongo Room). All the meals were delicious and I received great service at each. I received a free dessert at Vermilion compliments of the hotel. Definitely a nice perk.

Unique Quality: It's located in a very historic landmark building, so it's hard to miss. I'm sure you can request a room with a great view.
    If you comparison shop, such as on Onetime.com, you can see that this hotel is very well-priced for its location.

• dansc0tt's Profile Photo

Bored of the 'W's??

Got a good hotel budget & bored of the W? (Not sure how you can be!). This is another contemporary option which is fantastically located right on Wacker & Michigan. Think it has only opened recently & certainly the room was in good repair with those funky pillows, nice wood & as you might expect a great entertainment system to boot. The bar is cool downstairs, staff are all major enthuiastic and although it is pricey for almost everything (two drinks - $20) I actually managed to get a really good rate of $139 over Memorial Weekend!

Unique Quality: Unique in the fantastic stereo that adorns event the most basic of rooms (i.e. mine) and in where else do you have a picture of Paul McCartney wacthing you pee?

Directions: On Wacker and Michigan. If you approach from West then go straight when Wacker bends around to the left after State. (BTW there are plenty of places to Self-Park in the loop if you want to save 10-15 bucks)

More about Hard Rock Hotel Chicago

Loved this hotel!

We loved this hotel ! Best room I have ever stayed at ! The rooms were the best ! The room service is done twice a day with new towels being brought each time and the beds being turned down each night with hard rock robes waiting for you! Very comfortable bed and feather pillows. I could not have asked for a better hotel.

We were welcomed back everytime by the staff! Great Location - I give this hotel an A+ !

Don't waste your money!

We requested early check-in (regular check-in is at 3:00pm), got there at 2:30pm and had to wait an hour and a half to get a room. They wouldn't even notify us when our room was ready, I had to stand in line every half hour and inquire about my room.
Room was pretty clean but the decor is cheap and tacky.
When checking in we were told the continental breakfast was free, but the hot breakfast was not. I had eggs and coffee, my wife had a bagel and coffee. We were charged $14 for hot breakfast and $10 for continental. I complained to manager at checkout and he said "I find it hard to believe that you were told the continental breakfast was free." I asked if he found it easier to believe that I was lying...he then said "you consumed the breakfast, you have to pay for the breakfast." To avoid a fight I just paid, but will never stay there again. The Sheraton and the Marriott cost about the same, but are much classier hotels.

Hard Rock Made grat impression!

We were in Chicago for the weekend with no reservations because we were sure if we were going to stay. We went to the Hard Rock and paid for 1 night. After the front desk took a long time because we didnt have a reservation before. We were on our way to our standard 2 bed room. 10 minutes later a man came to our door telling us that we were being moved to a Hard Rock room because of the wait downstairs. This room was about 5 times bigger than the first room and we got it for 2 nights at the standard room rate. Very nice! The lounge was very nice, upscale and the music is always great at hard Rock. Parking was right across the street if people took the time to look and the staff was on top of things the whole time. Our room seemed a little warm when we checked in, we called for someone to come look at it and someone was at our room within 10 minutes changing the air filter to make it more comdortable. We will definately stay at Hard Rock again when we come back to Chicago!

Just okay

by TripAdvisor Member IndyEllen

Very contemporary and trendy place, but it was expensive and didn't have many amenities. The breakfast buffet was $ 22.00 per person and the drinks at the bar were $ 10.00 each. We were disappointed that there wasn't any pool or hot tub. At night, the lobby turns into a night club full of rich people who drive sports cars. I guess they are the only ones who can afford the drinks. The room was entirely gray...gray walls, gray bedspread, gray tv. But, everything was clean and the employees were nice. Also, the location was great.

Great place - great location!

by TripAdvisor Member Serendipity88

I stayed at the Hard Rock last week (the first week of Nov. 2004). I checked in early, which was no problem as I think I had the entire floor to myself! The room itself was clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was decent, not good enough lighting and the tub seemed a little dirty.

The location can't be beat - I was taking a class about a half mile away and walked each day. I shopped on the Magnificent Mile and down State Street - all within walking distance. The art museum, Milennium Park, and tons of fabulous restaurants are all within a 20 minute walk or short cab ride.

Service was good - the concierge recommended the BEST Chicago-style pizza I have ever had. I had room service one night and thought it was reasonably priced and very tasty. Their restaurant had just opened but I declined to try it after seeing the limited menu selections and high prices (about $30 per entree). I never got to the bar but I did enjoy the business center as I didn't have a laptop.

Would I stay here again? Definitely. As long as I could get a good rate. This hotel may be worth $125 - $150 a night but certainly not $200 - $300!!

Hot water is important!

by TripAdvisor Member carolineBethesdaMd

My husband and I stayed here on the 36th floor. We consistently had problems with hot water in the shower. We had to run the water for a good ten minutes, and then got very little water pressure, and lukewarm water, at best, to take a shower. We also had issues with room service. We ordered a pot of coffee, which took 30 minutes to arrive, at which point the coffee was tepid. When we called to complain and request another pot of coffee, it never arrived at all. Also, the minibar had no water bottles, and none were provided at turn-down, either. The hotel has a great location, and the rooms and lobby are nicely designed (yet with a somewhat cold, minimalist vibe). There are many other better options in this great city.

Not Worth The Money

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel during for the Chicago Marathon. I am sure they took complete advantage of that based on the outrageous prices they charged for that weekend. $289 a night plus $50 in taxes.

The hotel lobby was gothic looking and if the mortuary feel is what you are looking for then this is the place for you.

If you want a great place to stay close to the "Golden Mile" stay at the Talbott Hotel......it's the best kept secret in Chicago.

Chicago---A place to be!

by TravelerM

This is me at Hard Rock, Chicago.

Me and a friend drove to Chicago and had our shopping spree on Michigan Avenue all day long. We had a lot of fun there.

On my another trip there, my friends and I had coffee in Signature Room on the 95th floor of John Hencock at night, the nightview of Chicago was FABULOUS!!! We wouldn't want to leave.

Inside the Hard Rock Hotel ChicagoInside the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago