Hilton Chicago

moviegal226's Profile Photo

Don't Bother Booking A Lake View Room

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 17, 2015

I loved the location but I am SUPER annoyed at the service here. I specifically booked a lake view room (and paid more money to do so) at this hotel. I booked a couple of months in advance. When my plane to Chicago was delayed (we'd be arriving after midnight), I even called the hotel to confirm my late arrival. I just had a feeling they were going to try to pull one of those hotel games that they always seem to pull -- you check in late, you get screwed out of the nice room you booked. And yep, that's exactly what happened.

Got to the front desk: "Oh, we are sorry but we don't have any more lake view rooms, but we are upgrading you to a junior suite." Okay, that sounds nice! We got our keys and headed up.

Yes, the Hilton Chicago loves the "we upgraded you to a suite" game. The suite looked like, I kid you not, the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. Old rickety furniture, oxidized bathroom fixtures, and it smelled musty and ancient. All that was missing was Madame Leota and cobwebs in every corner. We took a look around and back downstairs we went.

They gave us the key to another "suite." Again the same, but this one reeked of cigarette smoke. "But we are a nonsmoking hotel." Um, maybe so but some inconsiderate jerk obviously smoked in this room.

Back downstairs AGAIN.

Let me remind you that now it's about 2:15 am and we suffered through a 4 hour flight with a nearly 5 hour flight delay. We were traveling with lots of bags because my husband was in town for a convention and had to bring casual tourist clothes as well as dress clothes.

This time we asked if they could just please put us in an upgraded room, NOT a "suite." Lo and behold they found a room for us. It was an accessible room with a horrible view of the noisy trains and not a sliver of lake was visible, but at least it looked like a room from this century.

I'm still SUPER angry about this because I specifically booked a lake view room and I paid extra for it. They never could find a lake view room for us during our entire stay. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and for the love of god, don't pay extra for a lake view room because you might get the old "suite upgrade" scam played on you.

April1985's Profile Photo

Lake View!

by written on October 13, 2014

My husband and I stated at the Hilton Chicago on Michigan Ave on Cultural Mile. It was a beautiful hotel. Everyone was super friendly, everything was clean. I would definitely stay here again, just because it was in a convenient location and I loved how the hotel felt like an old hotel, but very up to date at the same time. We went to Chicago to go to the Bears vs. Ravens football game. (we're Bears fans from NJ) We were able to walk to Soldier Field, as well as everywhere else that was close. We enjoyed that a lot. I liked how there was a computer in the room so I could check in for our flight as well as look at local places on that computer as well. If we needed to print anything it would print to the lobby downstairs. That aspect was a little annoying but I understand why, obviously to conserve paper and whatnot. If I ever decide to go back to Chicago, I would definitely consider coming back here simply because everyone who worked here was extremely nice, and the bed was amazingly comfy.

Unique Quality: I loved that there were amazing restaurants INSIDE of the hotel. It was raining horribly when we stayed here (37 tornado's to be exact) The weather was horrid. So, not having to leave the hotel was nice! i really liked the design, it felt very contemporary but historic as well. The details were just very nice. The bed was super comfy, and the bathroom made me feel like I was definitely staying in a city. I didn't LOVE the bathroom, but it worked.

Directions: I'm not too familiar with the area but we were able to walk to soldier field. It was about a 15 minute walk, but it was a nice walk through a park with statues, under a bridge, and right into the stadium!

silly659's Profile Photo

A Vintage Hotel

by written on May 25, 2011

I stayed here for a conference and the hotel was nice. The decor takes you back in time, and has a vintage feel, so if you're looking for somethign modern/retro, this is not the place.

I was unable to use the facilities (gym/pool (which is lap swim only)/restaurants/bars) because I was either in conference or out exploring Chicago, so can't comment much on that.

The room is slightly on the smaller side, though we did have two bathrooms, but the bed was confortable, so we were fine.

Location is great -- it's walking distance to the millenium park, bukingham fountain and not far from the bean. You can also get a veiw of Lake Michigan.

Overall, I recommend this hotel, rating of 7.5/10.

Directions: If taking the train from airport - it's $2.50, take the B line, and then take it to the main loop (stop at Jackson) and you can walk from there. Or swith to the A line and get off at Harrison and walk 2 blocks. Very easy with carry-on suitcases.

Pod's Profile Photo

not a drinkers hotel.

by written on April 11, 2010

Our visit was a bit pricey.. I did like the soapy stuff in the toilette. it smelled so nice.

Unique Quality: It is centraly located.

Directions: Ok if your on a posh holiday.

Hopkid's Profile Photo

Listening to the El Rumble By

by written on February 18, 2008

We got a nice price on a room at this Hilton which is located across the street from Grant Park and just a couple of blocks south of the Art Institute of Chicago. The fact that we only stayed one night during the middle of the week made getting that price and reservation easier despite being there in August. I would suspect that it is more full during the weekends, especially during JazzFest, BluesFest, or Taste of Chicago, and when the NFL's Chicago Bears are at home.

The hotel's location is excellent being right on the edge of the Loop and the newer developments, restaurants, etc. in the South Loop area. It is also within walking distance of the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and Solider Field. The hotel is large (over 1500 rooms) but service is typical of the top flight of Hilton's properties, namely excellent. The woman who checked us in was efficient, informative, and friendly. Rooms in the front overlook South Michigan Avenue, Grant Park, and Lake Michigan. The rooms at the back, like ours, overlook the downtown area, specifically a parking lot and a segment of El tracks. This was a bit problematic as the El runs fairly frequently on this track and is quite noticeable as it rumbles along. Our room was nice and roomy with two double beds, flat screen TV, and even a couple of comfy arm chairs. The bathroom was fairly large as well.

This being a Hilton, however, breakfast is not complimentary and you'll be at the mercy of the Pavilion Restaurant downstairs. But there are plenty of breakfast alternatives within walking distance that would be more affordable. Also be aware that if you're driving, the cost for parking in the attached lot is a horrendous $41. Per night. Ouch!

Unique Quality: Central location, Hilton service

Directions: Northwest corner of E. Balbo and S. Michigan Avenue

Cammel11's Profile Photo

by written on September 28, 2007

The Hilton Chicago is located right on Michigan Ave. From here you can walk to shopping, tours, museums etc.. It is a prime spot! The hotel itself is lovely! The staff is very friendly and helpful. The beds were very comfy! The room I stayed in had 2 queen beds and 2 bathrooms. I've never seen a hotel room with two bathrooms! I would recomend this hotel to anyone who wants to be comfterble and in the middle of the city.

Directions: Next door to Columbia College. 5 min walk to The Art institute.

Massive hotel in great location

by written on May 15, 2007

I was at this hotel for a business conference. It is an older historic building, but very grande and comfortable. The rooms are large and the bathrooms are spacious, which I wasn't expecting in such a historic hotel.

Unique Quality: The hotel is optimally located. We were out until about 11 on a weeknight and there were lots of students, tourists, and locals milling about, so it seems relatively safe if you stick with the crowd.

There are a large number of ballrooms that would support large conferences.

HoneyJen's Profile Photo

Nice and comfortable

by written on March 17, 2007

We has the mini Suite...which was great..the bed was so comfortable, and a great place to relax. The downstairs bars (the Irish Place & the one with fireplaces) are nice and the drinks are pricey, but very good. Quiet and comfortable rooms. The picture is of one of the ball rooms at the Hilton.

Unique Quality: We had a special package that included VIP tickets to the "King Tut" exhibition at the Field's Muesuem. Really great!

davidtahd's Profile Photo

Chicago Hilton Towers - Classic Elegance

by written on February 4, 2007

We stayed at the classic Chicago Hilton Towers on Michigan Avenue. This wonderful hotel was built in 1927 and has retained it's charm and elegance. The Chicago Hilton has a beautiful lobby and great views of the Chicago skyline from the west facing rooms and Lake Michigan from the east facing rooms. There is a huge heated swimming pool and also 2 hot tubs and a gym that are very nice. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful.

Unique Quality: The Chicago Hilton Towers was the largest hotel in the World when built in 1927. The location on South Michigan Avenue puts you in close proximity of Chicago's museum district and you can walk to the Shedd Aquarium in about 15 minutes.

Directions: Downtown Chicago near the Museum District

bee_tc2006's Profile Photo

Chicago vacation

by written on September 12, 2006

Hilton Chicago was a very nice,very expensive place,polite people. But just be sure to do 2 things if you stay at this hotel: ( 1 ) If you ask the conceirge for directions to a certain place,just get a second opinion from someone else. ( 2 ) The if you leave your room hours before you are due to check out,make sure you have all your stuff packed up and know where you left everything or check it into the baggage check downstairs before you leave.

If you are asking why? It's because at 10:00am we left our things half packed and went shopping and sight-seeing and our husbands went to the trade show.We were'nt due to leave till 5:00pm. Well,when my husband came back to the hotel at 4:pm,all of my husband and I's things were gone out of our room and our room key and one of the other couple's room key didn't work.They went to registration and they got security invovled.Well,20-30 minutes later,securtitywent up to our rooms;the other couples things were there in their room,then he went to our room,and all of a sudden,out the blue,our stuff just happen to be back in the room.
Over all,it was a nice place to stay,but,just beware of your belongings if and when you do stay there.

Unique Quality: Breakfast buffet was between $40.00 and $41.00 a person,but was very good.
Think it was built in the 1920's so it was very fancy,great atmosphere,with the huge staircases and at least 4 or more ballrooms .It has 3 bars in the hotel,we went in one called Kitty O'Shea's.It was very nice,good atmosphere.

Directions: About 2 or 4 miles down from the "Magnificent Mile"

shadowmon's Profile Photo

Nice hotel, but expensive

by written on February 22, 2006

Stayed at the hilton, My brother is a frequent business traveller and he had hilton miles to spare. the hotel was nice, the lobby was kind of plain, but the floors to the room were failry nice. I thought the decor was rather loud, but it did look ok, I guess. We stayed on an upper floor due to my brother's executive status, and it had a great view of park. The room itself was rather small, and had too much furniture in it. It had 2 bathrooms though, I think that kept sane.

Unique Quality: You could smoke indoors. Coming from a place like Hawaii, I felt uncomfortable doing it. Besides, It was more cool to call my friends from the snow outside and tell them I was in the snow.

aukahkay's Profile Photo

Grand hotel on South Michigan Avenue

by written on February 2, 2006

The Chicago Hilton Towers is well located on South Michigan Avenue, very near to Millenium Park and Grant Park. I stayed in this hotel for three nights in November 2004 and it was a truly enjoyable stay. My friend booked a room at the Chicago Hilton with his Hilton Honours Card at a special rate of US$110 plus tax which was quite a good rate considering that it was just before Thanksgiving.

Unique Quality: The room that I had was huge with a king sized bed. The room was decorated with mahogany furniture, complete with wireless broadband access. The bathroom was spacious with marble flooring. The breakfast spread at the Pavillion was sumptous.

Directions: Blue Line CTA train to Jackson/Dearborn.

Bilimari's Profile Photo

Good for business and leisure

by written on December 13, 2005

The hotel is on the Michigan ave. along with department stores, shops, restaurants, and museum. The room is clean and comfortable (typical Hilton room) with Internet access.

The place can get very busy with people attending the events, and the room charge can be very expensive during that time. Always check several reservation websites as well as Hilton website to compare the pricing before you book.

Unique Quality: They hold many conferences and events, and the facilitiy is conveniently set up with business center where you can use copy, fax, internet, package pick up and drop off, etc.

The Irish Pub on the ground floor is always clouded. Check out the nightly live music. (See my night life tips.)

Check-in: 3:00PM
Check-out: 11:00AM

Directions: About 30min. taxi ride from the O'Hara airport.

Old Chicago

by written on July 28, 2005

I love the lobby of this hotel, very pretty and very ornate. Lots of history, very old and feels like it.

Restaurants are lacking. Pipes are noisy. Everybody...like 99% of everyone around you...smokes...while you're eating.

Unique Quality: It's conveniently located near McCormick Place Convention Center.

Tremendous hotel and great location

by written on July 8, 2005

I cannot understand some of the adverse comments about this hotel.

We have just returned from staying at the Hilton for 3 nights and we loved every minute. Yeah OK it is an old hotel, but it is historic, it didn't need any refurbishment when we visited, we were on floor 13 and the room was enormous, 2 bathrooms, 2 big beds, coffee, hairdryer, massive TV, gorgeous bed linen. The only problem we had (a small one) was the lifts, you waited ages as in 30 mins for one and when one did arrive it was full!!! It was 4th July so the hotel was full so I expect this was the reason.

We visited the Chicago taste at Grant Park which is just across the road, we couldn't have planned our timing better as we didn't know about the TASTE until we got there.

Honestly you are right on Mitchigan Ave, we walked everywhere, Sears Tower etc is 5 mins away, and the Magnificant Mile is just on the top of the road.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough for rooms, staff, service and location.....go ahead and book it.

Nearby Hilton Chicago

• Pets Allowed
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Chicago Travel Forum

Need advice about Chicago, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Chicago and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Chicago hotel reviews

Trolleys (some are FREE)
Art Institute
The Chicago River
Things to Do
Greyhound/Megabus (U.S. bus system)
Amtrak (U.S. train network)
Oak Park/Frank Lloyd Wright