Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown

Orbitz.com Booking.com Hotels.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Convenient & Pleasant

Stayed at Homewood Suites in Downtown Chicago for 4 days while touring with my family. The location was convenient, in the heart of downtown, walking distance to restaurants and a block from the subway.

Our room was clean & functional. The full stocked kitchen, with a disposal & ice maker was much more than we needed. Our 14th floor room was quiet, the hotel felt safe. Our room wasn't made up the first day; I took out the garbage, replenished towels & toiletries... Staff offered to comp. us and gave us a free night - thanks!

We participated in crowded buffet breakfasts, usually there was a wait. The staff tried very hard to replenish the foods & clear tables. Fruits, breads, donuts, eggs, pork, cereals, juices & coffee were abundant. One morning we participated in a making our own waffles; although this was timely it was deli sh. We went to two evening receptions enjoying the beer & wine. The salads, starches & stews weren't too inspiring. Often food that looked appealing didn't last too long. Our vegetarian couldn't find anything to eat & the staff provided him with fried fish cakes.

The wireless internet was convenient in our room as well as the Executive Center.

Although we could have used the Crunch Gym next door; I used the cardio. equipment in the small fitness center - it worked!

Unique Quality: We were surprised that the reception desk staff seemed unaware of directions to local attractions. Fortunately, the doormen were able to point us in the right direction.

Directions: River North Region a block from the red line and Magnificent Mile.

• Ray_Beebe's Profile Photo

A nice surprise

This was unusual in that they have a no cancellation/no refund policy. On arrival we found that dinner was included Mon-Thursday nights. Suite was big, with a kitchenette (we did not use it though in our 5 nights there). I'd stay there again.

Unique Quality: Suite was big, with a kitchenette (although we did not use it though in our 5 nights there).

Over the road is a Westfield shopping complex that my wife liked.

Directions: North of the River. We took the El from the airport and walked. Not all El stations have elevators for suitcases though.

• tetonski1's Profile Photo

"The Best Place to Stay in Chicago!'

The lobby is several floors up from street level. When the elevator opens you are enveloped in rich warm wood tones and leather couches around a roaring fireplace. There are floor to ceiling windows framing a view of the city from every direction and a friendly receptionist to check you in.

The semi-suite rooms are less expensive than others in Chicago with this location, and they offer free wireless. The sleeping area is separated from the living room and simple kitchen area. The decor of the rooms is simple, and nice, (in one of our rooms you could see a faint stain on the carpet about the size of a cubic foot, but it did not feel cheap).

The best part of the stay though was that Monday through Thursday Nights they serve a free dinner buffet that is just wonderful! The Thursday Night we were there they served an Italian Buffet with Spaghetti, Garlic Bread and various sauces. There was a small salad bar with fresh produce, and a wonderful desert bar with selections of brownies, chocolate cake, and apple pie. Employees went table to table filling your wine glass with free spirits, and there was a beverage machine which the kids could pick and refill their beverages as they pleased. I would definitely take advantage of this wonderful money saving feature of Homewood Suites. A family of four would have easily been charged $100.00 for this free all-u-can eat buffet with wine and beer.

I would not stay anywhere else in Chicago!

Unique Quality: This is a wonderful, economical place to stay in Chicago. It is located in the middle of everything, and not too far from anything. Across the street is Nordstrom's, (a great department store).

You can jump on a free trolley that boards a block away and be taken to many of the wonderful activities Chicago has to offer.

The health club has a nice sized indoor pool which was empty the entire time we were there. The area is surrounded by floor to ceiling windows that offer magnificent views. Adjacent to the pool is the small fitness area with up to date equipment.

Directions: Right in the middle of downtown in the River North Area.

Close to Hard Rock Cafe, and Rock and Roll McDonald's.

• mafootje's Profile Photo

A real hot spot

Upon arrival the desk clerk told us that a non smoking room wasn't available, despite the fact we reserved it. The clerk told us we didn't had a guarantee on that. Well fortunalty we had a print out of our reservation which proved him wrong.. The fact we had to show our reservation to pursuade him to give us the room we booked was a bit of a downer.

We rated the hotel as average in price because we paid $99,00 for one night and two persons including breakfast, rates usually are higher then this !.

More pictures ? Take look in my Travelogue

Unique Quality: The suite has two seperate rooms, one is the living room with a fully equiped kitchen. The other is the bedroom which is connected to the bath room. In the room rate was a complimentary hot breakfast . The hotel itself is located one block west of The Magnificent Mile. If you get here by car be aware that parking prices are high in chicago and is not complimentary at the hotel.

Prices for parking start at $20,00 for one night. Valet parking at the hotel is $35,00.

Directions: From 90/94 travel east to Chicago exit ''Ohio Street'' follow Ohio 7 blocks to Rush Street, turn right follow Rush to Grand (1/2 block) turn right on to Grand Hotel is located on right hand side across from Nordstrom.

More about Homewood Suites Chicago Downtown

Best Hotel I've stayed in by far

by TripAdvisor Member sherheb

I am just back from staying in the Homewood Suites Chicago. Myself and 3 others stayed there for a week over the New Year. I can not recommend this hotel highly enough. From its location to it facilities we could not have asked for more. It is located only a 3/4 min walk form Mag Mile (where all the shops are), there is a Nordstrom right across the road, plus there are loads of bars and restaurants all within 5 min walking distance of the hotel. The complimentary breakfast was ideal to set you up for the day with all tastes being catered for, all the "light meal" they provide on mon-thurs (also complimentary) is just enough when you want to unwind after a long days shopping/sightseeing. The hotel also has free internet access which was a real help when we wanted to look something in particaular up.
The rooms were fantastic, the most comfortable beds i've slept in in ages, the seperated living room and bedroom were ideal when there was a dispute over the telly or one person wanted to sleep.
The staff at the hotel were brilliant, especially the lads at the conceigerge, they couldn't have been more helpful, no matter how trivial your question.
All in all we had a fantastic time in chicago, and we will definitely being staying in Homewood suites the next time we go. I have friends already planning on staying there when they visit during the year.

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member shoeaddictParis

stayed at this homewood for 9 nights, made my choice after reading the reviews and I wasn't disappointed at all
this hotel has many many qualities:
location, 5 minutes from Michigan Ave,
rates, we booked on hilton.com and paid $150/night,
big rooms, well furnished, great bed,
an awesome breakfast (I was excepting the usual buffet) the choice is just incredible,
a welcome home buffet with drinks and (again) a great choice of food,
and the hotel staff, everyone was very nice
will stay there again

Great place to stay in Chicago!

by TripAdvisor Member grits92

I had a wonderful experience at Homewood Suites. The hotel is in great location...right next to Michigan Ave and less than two blocks from a Red line stop which made it easy for me to get around Chicago. Upon arrival, I found the staff to be friendly and helpful. I was impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and the amenities that they offered. I plan to stay there again on my next trip to Chicago.

Definitely coming back!

by TripAdvisor Member 25girl

This was my first time in the city, but my husband has traveled here before. I was expecting the normal city attitude....rush, rush, with not the cleanist atmosphere but acceptable for a big city.....however I was very pleasantly surprised! The hotel was amazing, for the rate we paid we werent expecting to be so satisfied. The staff was super welcoming and friendly, from the personalized welcome message left on our room machine after check in, to the fresh hot breakfast and super friendly staff. Always greeting you and willing to help with anything. Whether its just holding the door and wishing you a good evening as you venture out for dinner or giving you a run down of the "must see" locations during your visit. And if you need a cab, don't worry...The door men go out of thier way to hail a cab and provide some entertainment as you wait! I would have thought we paid much more. This hotel does not take any short cuts. Rooms were spatious, clean, and provided a warm atmosphere with an outstanding view! I will deffinetly book a room at this hotel for my next visit to the windy city!

We had a great stay at Homewood!

by TripAdvisor Member torem07

My husband and I went to Chicago with our two young daughters for a quick overnight getaway. We live in Michigan and the train ride was about 3 hrs. Check-in was not until 4pm and we showed up around 3:45 hoping to get right in. The front desk attendant let us know it would be about a 15 minute wait which was reasonable considering actual check-in wasn't until 4pm anyway. She was very nice and during our wait she even updated us several times. The issue however was that it took more like 25 minutes, which was inconvenient given our daughters are 8 and 6 and had been waiting for this trip forever!
Anyway, besides that one thing, everything else was great. When we got to our room it was immaculate. There was a fridge, microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, etc. The couch pulled out to a sleeper bed. There were two double beds in the bedroom area. Everything was tastefully decorated. The bathroom was normal, but still very nice with plenty of towels and when we called for toothpaste it was brought right up.
We went to the top floor pool and it was great. No one else was there and we had the pool all to ourselves. I wish they had a hot tub but no biggie.
The breakfast buffet was amazing. They had pretty much anything you wanted from eggs, hash, and french toast to fresh fruit, donuts and bagels. The drinks were juices, milks (chocolate or white and even skim), coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate or pop. And it was all free and all delicious. The kids thought this was paradise.
Check-out was a breeze. I forgot to mention there were plenty of pillows on the beds and a super soft blanket. We slept great. Everything was quiet, there was plenty of hot water. I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about the place. It was great for the four of us and for $140 two blocks from Michigan Ave, I would definitely stay there again.

Good amenities, spacious but Underwhelmed

by TripAdvisor Member myxz

I had a business trip to Chicago for 3 nights so I chose it for all the benefits it offers- free breakfast, free wireless, suite rooms. I paid $149/nite and while it was a good deal for the price I was not impressed with the rooms themselves.

When I checked in around 10pm - the first room I got on the 8th floor which was supposed to be non-smoking was reeking of smoke. I didn't want to make a fuss but finally couldn't take it so called the front desk to either give me another room or have someone come with air freshener. The housekeeping came quickly with airfreshener and he agreed that the room smelled like someone smoked in it so they gave me a new room.

The suites are a good size but a bit dark for my taste. Bathroom was stark and ceiling had water stains all over. Rug didn't look all that great /clean so felt like I had to have shoes on the whole time. I prefer hotels where I can kick off my shoes and just hang.. I'd stayed in a Homewood Suite before near Boston and thought it was fine but the Chicago one was a bit unimpressive.

Overall I think if you were there with family - as it was for many guests it seems, it would be sufficient. Seemed like a great location, right next to PF Chang restaurant, Nordstrom, ESPN zone(?), overall pretty convenient. Again, the amenities are great - free full breakfast, free coffee/tea all day, free wireless access, etc. are all great. Bed is good, sofa is okay. Hardly used the kitchen but was pretty unhappy in the morning when I woke up to see they didn't restock my coffee...

I have to say that I was underwhelmed - and didn't feel as comfy at Homewood as I did in Boston's Homewood. Personally, I wouldn't stay there again for personal or business reasons - not for me. I had plenty of hotel choices in Chicago for this biz trip and I kept kicking myself why I didn't choose the Embassy Suites nearby for $159/nite or stay closer to my office at the W - albeit for $209/nite... (albeit would have to pay for online access).. I've stayed in other Embassy Suites before and feel that their decor is usually more brighter/lighter and cleaner looking.

Comments