Hotel Allegro Chicago - A Kimpton Hotel

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• Almireta's Profile Photo

Cozy and well-located hotel

All the hotel (entrance, lobby, corridors, rooms...) is super fashon.
    The room was clean and cosy however the bathroom was a bit small, only space for one person.
    In the closet you had an iron,an ironboard, socks and a zebra petterned bathrobe which you could by.
    All front desk clerks were very kind, helpful and polite.
    Free wi-fi in all rooms.
    We had a very nice time at this hotel, we would definetly come back!

• Guzzie19's Profile Photo

Excellent!

It was a great stay at the Allegro hotel in Chicago. It was close to major shopping areas in downtown Chicago and excellent location considering that I was there for business.
    The lobby is very spacious… free newspaper everyday and room service is excellent for a rush morning breakfast.

Unique Quality: Friendly and helpful staff!

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Where the style's the thing!

The public areas are at the top of a curved staircase on the second floor. The mural on the left of the photo is one of two that flank the staircase landing. The picture on the right is of one of the seating areas.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

High style in a musical setting

Hotel Allegro is a renovation of a building that also includes the Cadillac Palace Theatre and the 312 Chicago Restaurant.
    We didn't think the renovation was as successful as one of the other Kimpton hotels in Chicago -- The Hotel Burnham. And we didn't find the staff as organized or as helpful as one would expect from an upmarket hotel.
    It IS however well located for Chicago opera and theatre venues.

Unique Quality: It's very high-style with a 1930s theatrical edge.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Boutique Hotels

I haven't stayed at any of these hotels but I think they all look like nice alternatives to the larger hotels, hotels with a little history and rooms with some character.

Hotel Burnham, 1 West Washington Street, is in a beautiful National Historic Landmark building (Reliance Building) that was restored and opened in 1999 as a hotel. There is a good restaurant in the hotel, Atwood Cafe which is named after Charles Atwood, the principal architect of the building. It is located in the loop and is close to the flagship Marshall Field's (Macy's) on State Street and to Daley Plaza.

Hotel Allegro, 171 West Randolph Street, used to be the Bismarck Hotel, it was renovated and reopened as the Hotel Allegro in 1998 after a $31 million renovation to the art deco hotel . It's right next door to the Palace Theatre, in the loop theatre district.

Hotel Monaco, 225 N. Wabash, was opened in 1998 and is decorated in French deco style from the 1920s and 1930s. One of their special touches is providing you with a goldfish for your stay upon request. It's located at Wabash and Wacker, just a few blocks away from the start of Michigan Avenue shopping known as the Magnificent Mile.

• bckpcknit's Profile Photo

Hotel Allegro Chicago

$140.
    $99 specials.

Unique Quality: You can book most hotel rooms in Chicago on www.hotrooms.com at a discount. Hotel Allegro is a rich looking and feeling hotel and isn't too expensive. It was recently remodeled and now has a very bold, art deco appearance. It's a fun place to stay and is in the loop.

More about Hotel Allegro Chicago - A Kimpton Hotel

Hotel Allegro is great for location and price.

by TripAdvisor Member jillybeanb79

The Hotel Allegro is a great deal if you can get a low rate (under $ 100) and if you are not spending a lot of time in the room. The location is great. It is in the heart of the theater district. Do not expect a good view. If you want a view, look at pricier hotels on the Mag Mile. You will most likely pay at least $200 for a view. There are several modes of transportation available, including the EL. The rooms are quite small. I would strongly suggest only two per room. The bathrooms are also very small. The room is decorated in a very funky, modern style with a music motif. The room service is fairly efficient and the honor bar is pricey but has a good selection. One word of warning: the walls are VERY thin...my husband and I woke up around 3 a.m. to the sounds of the next room's headboard slamming into the wall...no need to say more. If you have kids with you, be prepared to explain the birds and the bees! Ha! In the evenings, there is complimentary wine in the lobby. The staff is really nice and the atmosphere is great. The hotel is actually attached to the Palace theater, so you are only a few steps from a great show. If you are a couple, students, or budget-minded and you want a great hotel at a great price with a great location, then the Hotel Allegro is for you.
Another bit of advice, if you find cheaper rates than the hotel offers, the hotel will match that other rate and upgrade you to a better room, such as a suite, just for booking directly with them.

Unique Experience

We stayed at the Hotel Allegro in December. There were a couple of things that went wrong but the staff were so friendly and caring it made up for our inaccurate bill, our room not being ready, and assigning us to a smoking room when a non-smoking room was requested.Their kind and sincere attitudes with their friendly smiles made our stay so positive we soon forgot about the mishaps and had one of the most unique stays so far in Chicago. The location next to the Palace Theater is unbeatable as we discovered walking 1/2 block to see the Lion King. Their restaurant 312 was FANTASTIC. We got prompt curteous service , our table with a view was wonderful and the meal made our time in Chicago one we'll never forget.

Theatre district fun!!

Just stayed at the Allegro, what a fun, upbeat hotel. We jad a siute on the 15th floor and had a corner room. Right next to Cadillac Palace Theatre. MR. Bubbles Bubble Bath was a hoot and the whirlpool tub was a plus! Lots and lots of room in the suite. the adjacent restaurant called ..312...was wonderful for breakfast as there is not a lot right around the area, especially on a Sunday, but you dont have to walk real far for other options. Staff was attentive and conierge knowledgable. The robes in the suite were zebra striped and leopard spots, what a riot! GREAT WALLPAPER AND COLORS. LOVED IT.......................

Great weekend get-away

We had a great weekend stay at the Allegro. Loved the cozy room with all the amenities. Service was great. Location was terrific. The hotel was extremely busy the entire time we were there but it was quiet and no hassles at all. We'll stay here again.

Lobby of Hotel AllegroLobby of Hotel Allegro

Hostel or Hotel?

by typo46

Hi all,
I'm a Canadian woman, and I am staying in Chicago for 4 nights in October. I'll be near the Allegro Hotel and Art Insitute during the days. I'd love to save some money on accomodation (and use the extra cash to enjoy Chicago!), and I'm wondering if I should book into a hostel downtown or find a less expensive hotel further from the downtown core.
I thought the hostel option sounded allright because I found one downtown (so no extra costs for taxi's) but I'm not sure how safe they are.
The hotel-away-from-downtown idea sounds safer, but I don't know how much $ I'll send up spending on transportation. I don't mind public transit, as long as I can figure it out quickly.

Does anyone know anything about the hostels (Arlignton House, perhaps)? Or any comments on what you think is the best option?

I really appreciate any help.

by Dabs

The hostel downtown on Congress is on the very south end of the loop. It's location is perfectly fine during the day, in the evenings you might find as a single woman that you don't want to be wandering around too late.

Personally I would opt for the Arlington House over the hostel downtown, you even have the option for a room with a private bath I believe. There are more restaurants and bars up in the Lincoln Park area, the south loop gets rather deserted at night.

Actually my first choice would be to see what I could get on Priceline. A 2.5* or 3* hotel in the central area would be preferable over a hostel. I've seen 4* hotels as low as $65 per night on NMA on www.biddingfortravel.com which you should check before using Priceline.

You can get a one day CTA pass for $5 which will cover buses and the el, multiple days are less per day.

Re: Re: Hostel or Hotel?

by nav_jewel

The youth hostel may be also a good option. It's in downtown I guess

by visitor2

Look for the info on motels (Best Western, Super 8, Comfort Inn etc.) as they have some super deals and offers. Just stayed in LA for 7 nights in Best Western (superb twin room, continental breakfast, pool, nice area, super staff) $49.95 + tax per night.

by bobloncar

I'd recommend against staying in a hotel or motel outside the downtown area. I've seen some pretty raunchy ones in some pretty bad areas. Even some of the adjacent suburbs are a little on the bad side.

But, check into this if you get a chance. Tinley Park is a suburb about 15-20 miles southwest of the city. There's a bunch of hotels on 183rd and Harlem. I'm not sure about the rates. The reason I recommend this area is because transportation into the city is cheap and simple. A one-way train ticket (w/Metra) from Tinley Park to downtown Chicago is $3.70 and takes about an hour. The downside is that the last train leaves for Tinley Park at 12:30am. That's not good if you wanna stay out late.

Comments