Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Boutique Hotel

Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Hotel
Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Costs 34% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• jomusick's Profile Photo

Fast, Friendly, and very helpful.

We only stayed for one night, but I love the Hotel Burnham. The room was beautiful and very clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly, perhaps the quickest check in and check out I've ever experienced. The location is great, especially if you take my advice and go see Wicked. It is only a block away.

Unique Quality: They have a restaurant that looks great. We didn't have time to try it, or the complimentary wine reception, but everyone we passed seemed to enjoy it. Next trip we may stay here again, and make time to try it.

Directions: If you are coming from O'Hare the blue line takes you there, about a block away.

• Etoile2B's Profile Photo

Vintage Hotel in the Loop

The Hotel Burnham under went a major facelift a few years ago. It's a small, vintage "boutique" hotel in the heart of the Loop. The rooms are small but well furnished and decorated. And the architecture and building history are facinating. The hotel is a unique mix of vintage charm and contemporary style. If you like smaller hotels with personality this one's for you. It's not far from the Art Institute, Marshall Fields and the Loop Theatres. Public transportation is easily accessed too. The only problem with staying in the Loop is that it tends to die down in the evenings and on the weekends. They are trying to revive the nightlife in the Loop, but I think that's a couple years off.

Unique Quality: The Hotel Burnham has been recently restored to show off some of the original architecture and is gorgeous. They have complementary wine near the fireplace in the (very small) lobby in the afternoons. And the hotel restaurant, Cafe Atwood, is very good, but fills up quickly so reservations are recommended.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Sleep in an architectural landmark:)

This is named after the building's architect -- it was the old Reliance Office Building. The halls maintain that office feel -- the elevators are period also [although automated:)]

Unique Quality: The Burnham is a lovely boutique hotel -- sometimes you can get good deals, but it still is rather pricey. It is in "The Loop" rather than near the Michigan Ave shopping -- we like the location for the nearby Art Institute and the even nearer State St. shopping at the Marshall Fields and Carson Pirie Scott flagship stores.
    The Atwood Cafe is in the lobby -- see my restaurant page.

Directions: corner of Washington & State Sts.

More about Hotel Burnham - a Kimpton Boutique Hotel

Hotel Burnham was terrific!

We had a terrific stay at the Hotel Burnham in Chicago. I emailed ahead of time that I was bringing my daughter to Chicago for her 12th birthday, and asked if they could do anything special. They did!
Jenny booked us a room overlooking the park. Tracy acknowledged my daughter, and promised there would be something special for her in the room that evening. We came back to popcorn, pop, and cookies that evening. My daughter thought the turn-down services (with chocolates) was awesome. Of all the attractions (American Girl Place, Field Museum, Navy Pier, Shedd Aquarium), Hotel Burnham was the highlight of her trip. Our room wasn't big, but it was decorated just like the one in the web site. It was quiet and I felt safe there. We slept very sound.

Just got back from Hotel Burnham

Just returned from wedding in Chicago and the Hotel Burnham. What a great hotel...unique and beautiful. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms are elegant. We took a king room which was much smaller than had we tried the double room. Hotel has complementary Starbucks coffee available each AM at 6:30 with newspapers, and evening turndown service (with chocolate!). Took CTA train from O'Hare to Washington stop one block from hotel for $1.75 each way...can't beat that!!! How convenient! Shopping and restaurants right there. Highly recommended.

A 40th birthday trip to remember

by TripAdvisor Member mexicotraveler

I surprised my husband for his 40th birthday with a trip to Chicago. We brought along our 2 yr old daughter. When we arrived at Hotel Burnham, I forgot we were celebrating my husband's birthday because I was in awe when I saw our beautiful room on the 10th floor. Open the curtains and their was a gorgeous view which included the Chicago Theater, The Ford Performance Center, Walgreens, and Marshall Fields to name a few. The chocolates in the evening and the jazz music was definitely impressive. The Atwood Cafe inside the hotel was awesome. The wine reception from 5-6pm included chardonnay and zinfadel which both were really good. The history of the hotel is a must read. The hotel is beautiful, clean and decorated for kings and queens. When going back to Chicago, I would not stay anywhere else, but Hotel Burnham. The location of the hotel puts you in short driving or walking distance to almost any attraction or desired spot. While staying at Hotel Burnham, do not leave without visiting Navy Pier, Magnificant Mile, the thousands of museums and art galleries, Oprah Winfrey studio and of course the Sears Tower. These are all near Hotel Burham. Enjoy your stay. We loved it.

Highlight of the trip!

Hotel Burnham was wonderful and definitely the highlight of the trip! It was so very charming and the room was beautiful. I took my boyfriend for his 30th bday and we both loved it. They honored every request I made (upper floor, NEast corner=best view). The turn down service and chocolates were such a nice touch. They even turn on classical music (stereo in the room) and dimmed the lights! The complimentary wine hour was also a treat. You definitely get SO MUCH for your money at this hotel. I will definitely stay at this hotel again!!

Perfect spot for an anniversary or special occasion

My husband and I stayed at the Burnham in late June. It was our first trip to Chicago as well as our 20th anniversary, and we could not have picked a more wonderful hotel. The architecture/history is amazing, and its location (right across from a park and Marshall Fields) is also a plus. We upgraded to a spacious corner suite midway through our stay and loved the extra room and the amazing views. The entire staff was professional, helpful, and gracious, and the morning Starbucks coffee and evening wine hour were welcome treats. We can't imagine staying anywhere else on our next trip, which we hope will be soon. Hotel Burnham was by far the best experience we have had in any hotel anywhere.

Wonderful stay!

My boyfriend and I stayed at Hotel Burnham on April 24, 2004. The hotel is located in a perfect location for theater-goers. We had tickets to see Phantom of the Opera at Cadillac Palace Theater, which was a short walk or cab ride away (as are Chicago, Noble, and Oriental Theaters). The hotel is also located next to great shopping, and the red line El stop is practically at the hotel's front door. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They seemed eager to please. Our package included a bottle of sparkling wine, chocolates, free valet parking for the night (which is a great bonus in an area where parking is a nightmare), and continental breakfast for two the next morning. We had dinner at Atwood Cafe, which is the restaurant located in the lobby of the hotel. The restaurant is a bit cramped and noisy, but the food was fairly good. I would recommend the graham cracker calamari. We stayed in a King room on one of the top floors. The room was beautifully decorated...elegant is the word that comes to mind. Every amenity was readily available, and the staff came in while we were at the theater to perform turn down service complete with chocolates and jazz music playing on the stereo (the stereo had a five disc CD changer, which was nice). The bed was extremely comfortable and the room was quiet. We did not hear any other guests at any time during our stay. The hotel has a lot of charm and character. It is a historical landmark and at one time housed offices. The elevator lobby is breathtaking. Overall, I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone planning a visit to Chicago.

Reliance Building (Hotel Burnham)Reliance Building (Hotel Burnham)

Notre Dame Football Game Train

by sandytntn

I am coming up for the ND - Tennessee game in November. Looking for advise for Hotel near Blue Line (ohare airport) and convenient to Randolph Street Station for train to South Bend. Also any info on the train would be helpful (how to get tickets, schedule on gameday, etc.).
Thanks,
Sandy

RE: Notre Dame Football Game Train

by jmhenry1123

metrarail.com for schedules and service on the northern indiana/south shore line with service to South Bend.

For hotels, you will want to stay closer to the loop along the blue line since O'Hare is about 45 minutes out of the city. You didn't say how much you want to spend on lodging but you should be able to find some affordable places.

RE: RE: Notre Dame Football Game Train

by sandytntn

Thanks for the response JM. Probably the $100-$200 a nite range.
Sandy

RE: RE: Notre Dame Football Game Train

by jmhenry1123

Well then you really open up your options with that one.

There are several near the Randolph station. The Conrad Hilton and Towers, the Allegro Hotel, Palmer House Hilton, Hotel Burnham and more. You could even get a reasonable hotel rate using priceline. Since I live in Chicago I have very little need for hotel rooms in the downtown area but there are plenty to choose from.

Comments