111 W Huron St, Chicago, Illinois, 60654, United States

Priceline.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

"Happy" Boutique Hotel

The Hotel Felix is one of that new class of "boutique" hotels - smaller rooms, much smaller lobby, only a small public bar - but the kind of place that seeks to make up for up that with improved service and amenities, as well as an "ecological, earth-friendly" theme that may or may not actually be true. I've stayed at the Hotel Felix about five different times since it opened in 2009 - each time through a Priceline Deal. "Priceline" categorizes this as a "Four Star" hotel - which is quite a stretch. A pleasant place, yes; but not a four-star in the sense that the Hyatt Regency or the Palmer House or the Chicago Hilton are four-stars. I had no complaints since I was paying a Priceline rate here, but it's not the kind of place I would expect if I were paying a freal Four-Star rate.

The rooms here are smaller than the average in central Chicago. I've heard that this used to be a dormitory, and it still feels that way - narrow corridors, and elevators that are also on the small side. The rooms that I've had that face the street have been fine, but once I had a room that faced an interior courtyard that was really quite ridiculously small.

On the plus side - the beds, sheets, and bathroom amenities are all of the kind that you would find in a superior quality hotel. Also - and perhaps most importantly for me - are the important factors of location, location, and location. I like this area of River North/Streeterville: quieter than Michigan Avenue or the Loop, but still very accessible to everything, with a number of very fine restaurants and nightspots only a few blocks away.

Directions: corner of Huron and N. Clark, two blocks west of State Street; five blocks west of Michigan Ave.

More about Hotel Felix

Great Stay at the Hotel Felix

by TripAdvisor Member renae72

I recently travelled to Chicago with a friend to do shopping and take in the sights. Hotel Felix was very conveniently located to everything in the area. We could walk everywhere, or if we were feeling lazy could take a cab very inexpensively.

The hotel is very clean and staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We especially loved the door man Julian :)
Our room was a little small, which was expected. The beds were very comfortable and the room had nice comtemporary decor. The bathroom had a good sized walk in shower.The only downside was the fan in the bathroom did not work. When one of us would shower it would get so steamed up that it made it difficult to apply makeup/style hair, etc. That being said, I would definitely recommend this hotel to others and would stay there again.

Thank you for a great weekend Hotel Felix!

Superior Customer Service, Superb Location!

by TripAdvisor Member triphappy89

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the fabulous Felix! My friend and I went for our annual Girls weekend, it was our first time in Chicago. The location was amazing and the staff were super friendly. Julian was one of the doormen and he always had a friendly word and a helping hand ready! We were very impressed with the room and the location was less than a 5 minute walk to the Mile! I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again!! Thank you Hotel Felix!!

Sleek, cool, and comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member license

I do a lot of travel for business and was so pleasantly surprised the first time I stayed at Hotel Felix for a trade show. It was very cool and sleek, modern. i understand it was recently renovated. I will DEFINITELY stay here again when I am in Chicago. It wasn't right in the middle of the city, a little further out, but had a nice neighborhood to walk around in with some bars/grills to walk to for food and a Starbuck's just a couple of blocks away.

Next time I'll take some pictures to post with this review.

A great hotel stay - can't wait to go back when the restaurant is opened

by TripAdvisor Member dtexasnative

I had a long weekend over Memorial Day and went with friends from Denver and Atlanta. Three of us stayed at this hotel. And let me tell you ... what a gem. The service was fantastic, the doormen very friendly and helpful (every time I left or came back to the hotel I was cheerful greeted and asked if there was anything they could do to make my stay more pleasant.

I had a King room and while I was not too far from the elevator, I never had any issue with noise. The bed was very comfortable - I quickly fell asleep each night and woke well rested. The bathroom was pretty good size and, while I was surprised not to find a tub, the shower and oversized showerhead more than compensated for not having one. The products (shampoo, gel, etc) are H20 products - a friend had to call me while I was at the airport to tell me she found the store the product was sold. I will be purchasing online.

My last night at the hotel, my friends from Denver and I had early cocktails at the bar and met the restaurant owner. The restaurant was not opened but after listening to the owner's vision and the food to be served, I will definitely be stopping back in.

This hotel reminds me of the Hotel 27 in Copenhagen... it is small, out off the beaten path, yet close to everything you would want to do. When the restaurant is open, this hotel will be competition.

Thanks, Hotel Felix!

Great stay at the Felix!

by TripAdvisor Member scubadivegal

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Felix for three nights--along with some family that stayed in the same hotel. We got a great deal booking online prior to the hotels opening so it is safe to say that we were a little apprehensive of what we would find upon our arrival. I must say that we were all very pleased with what we found.

We had a king-size room the third floor. I was concerned because our room was right next to the elevator. However, at no point did we ever hear any noise or "dinging" from people utilizing the elevator. There was a housekeper vacuuming right on in the hallway around 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning, which I thought was a tad early to be cleaning the public areas. Luckily, I was already awake otherwise I would have been slightly peeved.

The staff was awesome! They were very cheerful, willing to help, and asking what else they could to do to make our stay better. One doorman in particular, Julian, was a real treat who went out of his way to help us out.

You will certainly find that the lobby and the rooms are small. However, the lobby was nicely appointed and we enjoyed the roaring fireplace and couches as we came and went for all our activities. We had drinks at the lobby bar one night. Good beer on tap and great service.

The rooms are also nicely appointed but small. The bathroom was nicely done--I enjoyed the shampoos/conditioners/lotion and the huge shower head. There was a dreadful lack of any counter space in the bathroom however. With my toiletries, hair dryer, and curling iron, I ended up drying the sink out with a towel and using it as a counter. An extra shelf or something would be very helpful.

The location was great and we found that most everything was only a short walk or taxi ride away. Check-out was quick and easy.

Honestly, the service was so stellar that we didn't even really mind the small rooms or lack of counter space in the bathrooms. I would definitely stay at the Felix again or recommend it to others.

Better Value Elsewhere

by TripAdvisor Member CASlug

Look, I liked the Hotel Felix overall. My gripe with it is that you can get better for your money elsewhere in town. I liked the lobby bar, the doormen were all incredibly friendly and helpful, the front desk staff were pleasant. And the beds were absolute heaven. You literally sank down into them (they were so fluffy and soft I wondered if you could make snow angels). However, I had a gripe with the way the lobby area smelled, like sickly sweet flowers or something. I don't know if they are scenting it or if it's leftover from all the painting since the hotel is new, but it can't be all that eco-friendly, and isn't that the hotel's whole spiel? And the rooms. Geez, very small. Incredibly small even. Not what your expect for a 4 star hotel rating. I know the management has claimed in the past that this is because it is in a historic building, but one of the hotel staff told one of my traveling companions that is was for energy efficiency. I consider myself pretty environmentally-minded, but I just wasn't buying it and I don't think many people will be happy with it. You should not stay here if you have kids or want to be noisy, the rooms are just to small to allow any of that. My other gripe was the shower, it should haves some extra shelves in it or something besides that dinky one in the corner that is filled up with the freebie shampoo and conditioner. The sink should have a towel bar under it and the bathroom needs more shelves. There should be a coffeemaker in every room, it's just something people expect for a 4 star hotel. If you are sensitive to noise your should get a room above the 9th or 10th floor, the street noise is noticeable. I also liked the location since it was a pleasant walk to Michigan Avenue and the block it is on is less touristy than nearby areas. There's also some pleasant places to eat and there's a Whole Foods, 7-11, and Walgreens all within a couple blocks. Another thing I liked (and this is strange) is whatever the bathroom floor material was, it looked like stone or something but it wasn't slippery at all. Nice touch. Overall, a good stay, but the rooms are the big gripe.

Good but may get better

by TripAdvisor Member juinmi

Just returned from a long weekend at the Felix. Depending on traffic, around a $35-40 cab ride from ORD. Great location, easy walking distance from many restaurants/clubs/stores as mentioned. Historic decor and nice lobby area. Small bar area but great service. As mentioned, rooms are small-ish. Was in a king-size room which was fine for my needs. The bed was very comforatable. No in-room iron/board but when calling front desk arrived within 10mins. A few picky details: the carpet is dark brown which picks up every lint speck, off color shedding which quickly makes the room look less than clean; the bathroom sinks are modern but shallow with little room between the water spout and actual sink. I challenge anyone to actually wash their hands under them. Very little extra space in the bathroom for toiletries but nice large shower and actual bathroom space. On the plus side, housekeeping was great. The room was clean every time we returned which is always a trick with departure/returning to a clean room.
My friend and I both used the spa services and had great massages by two separate masseurs. Fitness center small with only 2 tread mills and 2 ellipticals and sm array of free weights. No indoor or outdoor pool. The bellmen were extremely friendly and helpful. A few glitches we encountered: On calling the hotel ahead of check-in, there appeared to be no actual knowledge of the room setups. Such as - were rollaways available (no); were there couches in the room (no). At check IN, I was asked to pay for the stay - no biggie but usually on check OUT. Got put on hold numerous times for extended period when I had questions about billing. In-room services such as laundry was met with 'I'm not sure' although needs were met. Restaurant was not open but scheduled for June. Could hear every sneeze, exact converstion through walls of adjoining room although was a joined room with a locked door between.
Rate seemed a bit high for actual accomodations (almost $1100 for 4 nights) although when everything is up and running may be more in line with pricing. A strong 3.5-4 stars/5.

Great stay

by TripAdvisor Member WI-Firefighter

We stayed here after winning a bid on Hotwire, actually paid 1/2 of what their website was offering. The restaurant still isn't opened, but we typically don't eat at hotel restaurants anyway. Very nice room, large HDTV, soft comfy bed, lots of hot water and great water pressure. Some here had complained about the outside noise, it is somewhat noticeable, even on the 10th floor, but it is in downtown Chicago so it didn't bother us and we were able to ignore it. Others had mentioned that the rooms were small. I agree, but I didn't think it was tiny. It actually reminded us of European hotels. There was plenty of room for 2 adults and ultimately it's just a place to relax for a few days.

One thing that really impressed me was that the previous occupant in the room had significantly scratched the wall. Maintenance came by, evaluated the damage and said he would take care of it. We went out the next day and when we came back to the hotel the wall was repaired and we couldn't even smell the fresh paint. Nice work.

When we first arrived we requested an iron and it was delivered within 10 minutes. After returning from dinner on the final night of our stay, we stopped by the front desk and requested a fridge and it was delivered to our room in 5 minutes. Again, nice work. I've stayed at hotels were it's taken over hour to get a request filled.

There's plenty of places to eat in the neighborhood all within walking distance. There's a Whole Foods store, McDonalds, Hard Rock Cafe, Potbellys, Fogo de Chao, just to name a few.

If you don't want to pay $42/night for valet parking, I would recommend using the parking garage around the corner (on N Clark between Huron and Erie). It's only $23/night.

Best Bed in a Hotel, ever

by TripAdvisor Member WittmannAbroad

We stayed here for a long weekend in June. While the rooms are truly tiny (my husband and I had to actually discuss where to put our two carry-on suitcases), the bed (and the sheets) was truly the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on in a hotel. The room was quite clean. I had asked for a "quiet" room, and it was. We did notice that you could hear the maid in the room next door cleaning, but we could never hear the other guests. There is free coffee in the morning, but no breakfast (we went to Whole Foods instead). The toiletries were a convenient size for airports (easy to refill). The location, once you learned your way around, is excellent- near to many bars, restaurants, the El, and other points of interest. We used the free Internet to help us plan our stay. The staff was friendly and gave good suggestions for eateries, but was not so successful as a concierge and getting tickets. We paid a reduced rate and were quite satisfied.

Great Stay, Great Service!

by TripAdvisor Member Voelkerc

The staff were tripping over themselves to make sure we were happy. I left my phone in my car and within minutes the doormanhad brought it up to our room.The room was SOOO comfy and nicely appointed. We heard some of the rooms were on the small side so we asked for a larger room and it was just fine. The decor was so relaxing and the black out curtains were perfect for shutting out the world. We also had massages at the spa which were wonderful. We plan to stay again next time we visit. Hoepfully they don't get bought out by a chain for I fear if that happens the personal touch will be lost.

to hancock towerto hancock tower

waiting for the waiterwaiting for the waiter

eatn and drink at the park!eatn and drink at the park!

buckingham fountainbuckingham fountain

nicest hotel for view and location

by jattypo

My husband and I are traveling to Chicago in the near future. We have narrowed our search to two hotels, both of which seem very nice. We have never been there before so the the two choices are, the Omni and the Sheraton towers downtown. The Sheraton seems to have nice views of the lake and we will not have a car and want to be close to attractions. The Omni looks beautiful as well and the rooms appear larger. Which one would be more conveniently located to Navy Pier and shopping on Magnificent Mile. We are also interested in seeing the Art Institute. Thanks

by Beausoleil

Don't miss the Museum of Science and Industry. It is fantastic.

by xymmot

The Sheraton Chicago hotel and towers is your best bet. It is on East Water st along the waters edge. The Navy pier is in walking distance and the Michigan ave Magnificent Mile is around the corner also in walking distence. Put on your walking shoes as I know Chicago has long city blocks

by Dabs

Either hotel is fine for what you want to see, the Omni is right on the Magnificent Mile, the Sheraton is at the very end of the Mag Mile and on the River. Some of the rooms at the Sheraton will have a view of Lake Michigan, some will have a view of the Chicago River. You can walk, take a bus or a taxi to the Art Institute from either hotel. If you walk, you'll go right past Millennium Park and the Chicago Cultural Center which is worth a stop both the see the beautiful stained glass domes and for the tourism center.

by Melvin_Francisco

I would suggest the Sheraton, I've stayed there before and you can't beat the view. It's very close to everything that you are interested in.

by goodfish

Yes, the art institute is fabulous! And do make time for Science and Industry, as another poster suggested. It'a not at all boring - as the name might imply to non-scientific types.

by riorich55

If you do decide on the Museum of Science and Industry it is located about 6 miles south of the downtown area so you would best be served by taking a cab there and back. If you want to visit museums closer to town we have the museum campus which includes the Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planitarium and Natural History Museum. They are all at the south end of downtown. Also be sure to check out Millenium Park right across the street from the Art Institute.

by jattypo

Thank you so much for the info, it was very helpful

Comments