Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast

1244 N Dearborn Pkwy, (formerly Claridge Hotel), Chicago, Illinois, 60610, United States

HotelIndigo.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• DSwede's Profile Photo

Great hotel and staff, near central location

I was directed here by a friend who lives no less than 30 seconds down the street, but unfortunately lives in an apartment the size of a shoebox and could not host me. I could not have found a better hotel in the area. The staff have all been excellent, both courteous and helpful. The rooms have all had a major facelift to not only modernize the decor, but also to improve the bathrooms, fixtures and ventilation systems. The result is a very comfortable and worth while stay.

The beds are large, comfortable and give a great night's sleep. The bathrooms have quality toiletries and spacious showers (no bathtubs).

Hotel is located right near lots of the bars of Division Street, yet the hotel is on a quiet block. However my only criticism is that the doors to the hallways are not sound insulated, so some noise will carry through the halls.

Unique Quality: Hotel Indigo is a member of the IHG network of hotels, so if you have "Priority Club" membership, you can continue to accrue and/or spend your points here.

WiFi is free with use of a password. Breakfast is served 6am~11am, which is included depending on your room rate and/or if you qualify with your Priority Club membership.

Parking is not offered by the hotel directly, but the parking garage next door will charge to the room if you want (~$38/day with unlimited in/out access).

Directions: A half block north of Division Street. On Dearborn Parkway, which is between Clark and State. About 3 minute walk from the Red Line stop at Clark/Division.

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Great location, pleasant environs

We had such a positive experience at the Nashville Hotel Indigo that, when my niece decided to get married, it was an easy choice to book into the Chicago version. I was intrigued to see that the musical motif carries forward -- but rather than the "country" theme in Nashville, Chicago's hotel is definitely a "blues" temple. Our room was substantially smaller than the Nashville version -- and the hallways and elevators are quite narrow, too, reflecting an older fashion in hotel construction -- but the beds were the same sublimely comfortable and multiple-pillowed marvels and the miniature bathroom had the same amenities (including high end toiletries and a really great shower). The location was excellent, only blocks from major shopping and close to the Lake in case you wanted some beach time. One of the things I liked best was that it was quiet. By contrast, my son claimed one of the things HE liked best was that it was close to some great bars!

Another plus was that Starbucks had taken up residence as the catering station for breakfast (and obviously coffee, etc. later on), and the area in which one could eat was very comfortably appointed. We enjoyed that convenience. And a final, though quirky, observation: when more than one lady is getting ready for a wedding, it's useful to know that the Ladies' Room in the lobby has outlets so someone can go down there to dry her hair!

Directions: Three blocks from Clark/Division intersection

• Forrest_Gump's Profile Photo

Nice Hotel,GREAT Location

i really enjoyed my stay at Hotel Indigo.The guy @ the counter gave us a map and showed us where the stops/starts for the L-Train were at nearby.This hotel had a PERFECT location in the city.Within walking distance is a lot of bars,pubs, and restaurants.Eduardo's Natural Pizza is down next door,they had GREAT Italian food.There's also a 24 hour Walgreens right next door,which is nice in case you forget anything.The rooms were clean and quiet. We made the mistake of taking a taxi-cab to the hotel from Midway Airport,which cost about $32!! be SMART,take the L-train if youre staying @ the Indigo,it costs you $2!!!!! takes about a 1/2 hour(same as the cab ride basically)and you come out about a block from the hotel.Only took us about 2 minutes to walk from the hotel to the nearest L-train station.We were within 5 minutes of the hancock Building and Old Chicago WaterTower.This hotel was close to Clark & Division are,which is just full of places to drink or eat.

Unique Quality: Cocktail Lounge
    Location: In Hotel - lobby level - first floor Cafe bar environment open during evening hours and offers a tapas menu ,

* Service Animals Allowed
    * 8 Room(s) with Accessibility Standards

1 Restaurants In or Nearby the Hotel

Directions: I90/94, EXIT 49A, W. DIVISION STREET. PROCEED EAST 1.6 MI TO NORTH DEARBORN, TURN LEFT. HOTEL IS ON THE RIGHT.Midway (MDW)
    # Taxi Charge (one way): $22.00 (USD)
    # Time by taxi: 30
    # Train Charge (one way): $2.00 (USD)
    # Time by train: 30

More about Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast

Great hotel & location

by TripAdvisor Member NewToChicago

Indigo is beautiful and has a nice little restaurant. The location is great for an easy and safe walk to restaurants and Michigan Ave. It is close to an El station. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our stay here.

second time just as great

by TripAdvisor Member wellheynow

This was our second stay at Indigo (the first time this past winter) and it was even better than the first. The suites weren't available this time but the staff was sensitive to our request for that kind of room and put us in an "over sized" queen room. Wonderful!
I love the hardwood floors at Indigo. The "funky"--used in the best possible way--atmosphere is wonderful, too.

Everyone is friendly--and you get the sense they mean it too.

Indigo is close to Michigan Ave and lots of restaurants and bars of course. And we had no trouble getting cabs (or there's parking immediately next door).

I can't say enough nice things about Angela and Rhonda (at the front desk) or Scott (the manager)..it's nice to be pampered and they all went to the next level of pampering.

Thanks and we'll be back!

Great hotel in every way

by TripAdvisor Member TheTravelingHobo

This hotel couldn't have been better. It's very unique in color and design, and although I don't really care about that, my girlfriend loved it. But the staff couldn't have been more helpful. And the location is absolutely ideal for exploring the city. Lots of good restaurants and bars nearby. The pizza next door at Eduardo's is really really good. The beds are really comfortable, too, which is my main criteria in judging a hotel. So yeah, stay here.

No Blues at Indigo!

by TripAdvisor Member erin94

I travel to Chicago often and always stay just off of Michigan. In March of this year I learned I would be in Chicago from June 17-23, attending very large trade show/conference at McCormick Place. By this point, the City of Chicago was almost "sold out". Thanks to Trip Advisor, I stumbled upon Hotel Indigo Gold Coast. Not your typical hotel...the words funky, fun, relaxing and calm come to mind. Great new concept!

The previous reviews were great, and I've now experieced it first hand. The hotel is clean (A/C unlike other older Chicago hotels) , in a great location (esp. for singles) with many wonderful restaurants & superior nightlife just a couple of blocks away! Staff is exceptional and though the rooms are small, they offer EVERY amenity you could ask for (Aveda products, CD player etc.). My room had only a shower but with such a great location, I wasn't in the room that much to even miss a tub. A Jewel grocery store and Walgreens were a 5 minute walk away. The 2nd floor of Indigo offer guests a mini-spa and workout room...manicures and pedicures were reasonably priced...though "hair" wasn't an option. Comp. internet/business centre on the lower level was very handy and well used.

Approx. $12 taxi fare to McCormick Place. Less than 15 minute walk to WaterTower Place.

I'm already looking forward to my Sept. '06 stay at this wonderful property...I highly recommend it!

Great Hotel and Neighborhood

Stayed with a friend for a fun Chicago trip. Comfy bright rooms and the lobby smells fantastic. Lots of restaurants and bars within close walking distance. Lots of other city attractions a longer walking distance or short cab ride. Neighborhood felt very safe, and much less traffic/siren noises than other hotels located near Michigan Ave. The front desk staff was very helpful with directions and suggestions for tours and spas in the area. Overall, we felt very welcome and the staff helped us have a great trip!

Hotel Indigo is great!

by TripAdvisor Member TXcatlover

Great value for the price. We stayed three nights early in July in this charming boutique property. Unique but comfortable rooms with great beds. Very clean rooms. Just a couple of short blocks to the red line to take you anywhere in the city. Located on a tree lined street in beautiful neighborhood with conveniences, restaurants etc. at your fingertips. Would definitely stay here again. Convenient to everything in Chicago but away from the throngs of people on Michigan Avenue.

GREAT LOCATION, HOTEL

Our family of four (two adults, two younger girl teens) stayed here in a larger room and loved it. We had two Queen beds, a sitting chair, work table and, most importantly, LOTs of mirrors. We could all get ready at the same time. Very comfy beds. Loved the bright, fresh color scheme.

The hotel Location gets five stars. We've stayed downtown, the Loop, etc.,but this is the nicest neighborhood. Beautiful walking to the restaurants and zoo in Old Town. Can't stress enough the lovely atmosphere.

We stayed on the 8th floor in a corner room which was fairly quiet. My only complaint is about the slamming doors from other guests coming in and out. That woke me several times.

The staff was very helpful and gave good directions. Parking in the adjacent lot was $36/night.

For the price for four of us ($159/night) it was a bargain, and we will stay there again.

BEst Feature: Wireless internet

Wish we'd had: less expensive Breakfast.

Not luxury hotel, but close in a fabulous neighborhood.

Preparation

by GUYON

"1st step : the main stops"

9 months before the vacation, we set up a scheduled itinerary based on a map, the booklets of some tour operators, information brought from Internet (especially VT) and the Frommer's.

The duration of each stage must take into consideration the time to visit, to rest and to dry the laundry (it is a very practical aspect).

"2nd step : the budget"

An estimated budget is put on Excel with the following items :
- flight
- accomodation
- rented car
- gas
- parking (of hotels)
- food and drink
- shopping
- attractions
- toll roads & other costs.

The budget will be linked with the change rate of the $, the accomodation prices, the flight ticket, the milleage. A modification of one parameter changes the budget.

And even if I am a French guy : the budget is respected WITHOUT a control during the travel (it's vacation not business !).

Example : 10 days in Florida completly self organized.
Budget : 3820 €
Comprehensive cost : 3950 € (difference = taxi at the departure and at the return, forgotten on the budget).

"3rd step : the accomodation"

For each stop, a query is made to search the accomodation : location, quality, price.

This search was made with a tour operator and Internet. For our 4th travel, all the reservations were made through Internet without any problem. Previously, we had several concerns ONLY with the ones made by tour operators.

The tour operators and travel agencies have NO ADDED VALUE (they cannot guaranty the quality and the service, even the availability of the hotel) and they receive a fee which increases the price.

Briefly : more expensive, less security.

Some hotels have a 10 pct reduction for the customers who reserve through Internet.

After some attempts, the best way for us is to mix the type of accomodations during the travel : hotel, motel, B&B. We do not frequent the hostels, so the cheapest ones are Econolodge or Motel 6 which provide sufficient comfort and cleanliness for a reasonnable price. Nethertheless, they are ideally located in the suburbs or in the periphery.

Our rating of an accomodation takes into consideration the following parameters :
- type of accomodation : hotel, chain hotel or motel, B&B
- location : especially the distance from the center city or the main interesting place, the savety of the area checked by questions on VT
- comfort : bath or shower, TV, fridge, laundry facilities
- breakfast : complimentary breackfast included or not
- parking : free or not
- pool : indoor or outdoor
- internet access
- price (including tax - generally not detailed) : with parking if any. Special reduction for senior (?)
- check in and check out times.

I try to find in some accomodations a kitchen in order to change our diet.

The hotels websites are very detailed and provide photographs of the rooms. It is funny to see the difference when we arrived : I remember a chain hotel which has pictures of an other hotel on its site.

Frequently, I drop a message to the hotel keeper to get more information.

The price of each accomodation is put on an Excel sheet in order to implement the budget at the current change rate.

I read the reviews about the hotels on www.tripadvisor.com

"4th step : the flight"

We reserve the flight quickly in order to get the best price.

We do not book through a classical travel agency and we prefer to use Internet (often, directly the flight company).

I have still in mind the surprise of a couple of passengers on a Miami Flight , who were queuing with us, seeing we had a lower price and we had chosen our sits on a seating chart.

Our preferite companies are United Airline and Air France. They are professional, the planes are decently comfortable and each sit has its own TV screen (not always true for AF).

"5th step : the attractions, shopping & restaurants"

Using the search engine GOOGLE, we search what are the best tips of a town or an area.

This query applies on historic tours, museums, spectacles, natural parks, monuments, shopping, restaurants (limited to the accomodation neighbor : our experience shows, we do not use the addresses which are far from the hotel).

We try to visit varied attractions and we are not focused on the touristy ones.

We identify the price, the schedule, the opening days, the direction of each attraction in order to avoid to waste our time and our money.

I ask on VT some advices to check the interest of each attraction and to look for alternatives. I have a look at Tripadvisor to read the experiences of prior visitors.

For each stop we have more attractions than we are able to do in order to choose with our current mind and according the time.

I identify the nearest malls from our hotel. I search also the addresses of some chain stores : Roos (discounted clothes), Payless shoes, Walgreens and Wal-mart (pharmacy and food).

I do the same search for the restaurants but only those which are walking distant to the hotel. Mapblast is very useful for that in supplying a list of restaurants ordered by distance. I identify the locations of our favorite chain restaurants : Denny's, Outback, Applebee's. One of our concern is to have a breakfast for the 2 first mornings because we awake up very early due to the jet lag.

"6th step : the maps and the documents"

It is very important to get a road map of each state we cross and a comprehensive map of each city we stay.

Each state or each city has its own website on which I drop a message (or I fill in an adequate form) asking for maps and brochures.

Generally, I receive (freely) the documents within a 1 or 2 weeks delay. I noticed recently some tourism bureaus are reluctant to pay a heavy mail for Europe (not surprising).

We used also the website Mapblast and Mapquest which supply maps and itineraries.

The picture shows how it is possible to dream to the warm climate of Florida.

"7th step : the itinerary - 8th step : the car"

7/ MAPBLAST is a website which provides detailed itinerary for a round trip with a map and an information at each change of direction. It is sometime also possible to get a birdeye view or a satellite picture of the accomodation area to find more easily our hotel.

We choose either the direct route or the scenic one according to the time.

The website calculates the distance (miles or Km) and the time needed. The figures are entered in Excel in order to have the forecasted gas cost and to schedule the day.
We avoid to have too much distance to cover during the day : 200 to 250 miles a day. If we exceed this distance, I foresee at least a 2 days stay to rest.

8/ I rent a car from France through Internet.
I found Holiday Autos, a virtual Rent-a-car company which rents the cars of the other companies with 30 pct rebate. They make the difference mainly with the insurance.
This way of renting is forbiden for locals.

"9th step : the travel books"

Each map, information, itinerary or advice (from a VT member) is copied on WORD PRO from Internet when it has been identified as useful. I add the coupons I get on Internet.

By this way, for each step, I have a brochure summarising the information and completing the guide book (Le Routard, Frommer's).

BW Grant Park CHI

by subaru60

My husband and I have reservations at the Best Western Grant Park Chicago. I chose the hotel because of the low rate and location near the Field Museum. I've seen some not so good reviews in TripAdvisor. Anyone stayed there recently that can either justify or quell my fears? :-/

Re: BW Grant Park CHI

by JRJanuszewski

Hi. I'm assuming you're refering to the Best Western near 13th Street and Michigan. I stayed there YEARS ago and it was okay. For me, it was just a clean place to sleep since I was out all day and evening. If that's what you want, then it should fit your purpose. I also would not recommend walking around there at night.

If you want a slightly more expensive yet still not "expensive" place to stay, there's the Embassy Suites on State Street. It's not near the Field Museum, but it's near the shopping on N. Michigan Avenue. There's a free trolly that takes you to the museum campus.

Comments