Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Boutique Hotel

Hotels.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Costs 37% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• kandl1's Profile Photo

Great river views

Had a great time at the Monaco. We've stayed at the SF version and it was pretty much the same story. Good friendly service, quirky staff and decor, and a goldfish to keep us company when we were in the room.
    We were so close to so many good restaurants that we never to around to trying the hotel's place, but we had heard good things about it.
    The only problem we had was that the bed was very uncomfortable and gave me a sore neck...waaaaaa!

Unique Quality: Great views of the river from our room and we were able to walk almost every where we went.

Directions: On (in?) the loop right next to the "magnificent mile", on the Chicago river.

• Hotel Monaco is great place to...

Hotel Monaco is great place to stay. The rooms are interesting, you will know what we mean when you stay there. The staff is great!

Unique Quality: The concierge will help in any way they can. We are from Oklahoma and they called everywhere looking for a t.v. that would broadcast the OU basketball game during March Madness. It was great.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

European Luxury Close to The Loop

The Hotel Monaco offers a unique mix of sophistication and fun. It is not a cookie-cutter type of hotel. The rooms are decorated in bright colors- purples and yellows. it is more like the experience you get staying in a European hotel. I have spent some quality time in the lobby and it is quite cozy- love the fireplace!

They offer unique services such as when they turn down your room for the night, don't be surprised to find a few Tootsie Rolls or Smarties on your pillow, or even a lucky lottery ticket.

One of the pluses/minuses is the location. The hotel is located on Wabash near the river and Wacker Drive. It is not as bustling as being on Michigan Avenue and is on a part of the Mag Mile that has fewer people and dining choices during the evening hours.

Unique Quality: Small, pet friendly boutique hotel. If you're feeling lonely, the staff will provide you with a complimentary pet goldfish to keep you company during your stay.

The restaurant at the hotel is the South Water Cafe. It has wonderful breakfasts and scrumpious dinners.

Directions: Just across the river from the Mag Mile and the Loop business district. It is on the Northeast side of the loop so it is only a few blocks from the Theatre district.

More about Hotel Monaco Chicago - a Kimpton Boutique Hotel

A Great Home Away From Home

I just spent three lovely days at the Monaco Hotel at Wabash and Wacker Drive in Chicago, Illinois.

As a speaker for the Food Marketing Institute's annual convention, we were given reservations at the Monaco Hotel. I looked at the hotel map and said: "Oh one of those old downtown Chicago hotels. I wonder what that's going to be like?"

Well as a frequent traveler was I surprised. The hotel was beautiful, clean and extremely friendly.The large rooms were decorated with exquisit taste and the bed was wonderful. It reminded me of a very high price European hotel. As nice as it was, the best thing of all was the staff. Yes from the door man Bernette, to the desk clerk Ryan to the wait staff in the restaurant, maids, turndown service staff, I was treated like Royalty.

As a frequent business traveler, I am a Diamond Elite with the Hilton and a Gold with Marriott, but I can assure you that the next time I have to stay in Chicago, I will be a GUEST of the Monaco.

Incidently, while I was there a movie was being produced right out in front of the hotel, which caused quit a traffic jam and alot of site seeer as well as all the movie production staff. The Monaco staff was fully trained to handle the situation and it was not an inconvenience to any of their guest.

Thanks to all the great people that have made this a premier hotel in the loop of Chicago.

Sweetest hotel ever! (And I've stayed in several nice places)

My 2 friends and I drove up to Chicago to see the Clay Aiken/Kelly Clarkson concert in March. Since I've been to Chicago many times since I was a little girl, they entrusted me to make hotel reservations. A month or so before, we'd all seen the Hotel Monaco on the Travel Channel, but figured it to be too expensive. Well, needless to say it isn't expensive for the luxury you receive! From the moment we stepped inside, even as young unpretentious-looking college grads, the staff greeted us and made us feel like we'd stayed there a million times. I must say, I fell in love with the tall bald man at the receptionist desk! He's hilarious when you talk to him! I wish we'd had more time there! We were greeted with hot, fresh chocolate chip cookies - which definitely won us over. The room was beautiful - had a gorgeous view of the river, and there were 2 window seats - one ended up being used as a bed for the evening! We could have stayed in the room all day and just watched the city go by outside. The decorations were ecletic and fun - exactly what I hate that other hotels don't do. It felt homey from the minute we walked in. And Aveda toiletries - you really won my heart with that!! Those are some quality products! I cannot WAIT to come back to Chicago, and stay there - maybe even in the rock star suite! Oh, and I can't finish this review without expressing my love for our goldfish, which we affectionately named "Moonshadow Yates." What a truly fun experience! Thank you, Hotel Monaco! I'll DEFINITELY be back soon!

Loved It!

by TripAdvisor Member mtgreen96

After reading the reviews on this hotel, I decided to book my stay for July 4th weekend here and I am glad I did, this hotel is absolutely beautiful. Our suite was gorgeous it is a very romantic hotel with big sit in picture windows. I do have 1 complaint. The bar is very boring and the resturant is not that great, but other than that I loved it. I would definitely stay there again.

Not enamored by this hotel.

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco over 4th of July weekend. When booking months in advance I requested a quiet room. Upon arrival found room faced a brick wall with a very large and noisy air handler. Room was decent sized. There were no window seats. Just 1 window with no seat which is understandable because there is no view. The bathroom was huge and everything was spotless. The bed however was one of the worst I have ever slept in. Very soft and sagged in the middle. It was ironic seeing that all linens were top notch for this abominable bed. It is hard to tell if the lack of sleep was from the bed or the loud air handlers. The next day I requested a different room. The desk was very courteous and prompt in responding to my complaints. We were moved to a much smaller room which did have the 2 window seats. You could hear a lot of traffic noise as you are facing the street. Fortunately it was not too bad. Unfortunately, the bed was just the same as the previous room. Terribly soft and sagging in the middle. We never heard any noise from neighboring rooms. However the hallway noise can be loud. We never ate at the restaurant on site because I thought it was rather pricey. Across the street is a deli and around the corner was a Corner Bakery.

The decor in the rooms is top notch and fun. I like that they use duvet covers which are changed daily. After seeing 60 minutes where it crucified the hygiene of comforter covers in hotels i.e. the amount of bodily fluids on these comforters which are not typically washed on a regular basis, I am relieved to see the duvet covers. The location puts you walking distance to everything. The staff and concierge were very helpful and welcoming.

Since My husband and I travel to Chicago at least once a year we like to try different hotels. I liked the Hotel Monaco but did not fall in love with it like many other writers. I found the Swissotel similar in price and location. Although it lacked the ecclectic decor and outgoing staff, I found it to be far more comfortable with larger rooms, outstanding views, top quality beds and very peaceful. I will probably return there next time.

Perfect get away hotel

The Hotel Monaco was a perfect romantic get away.
It was exceptionally quiet and comfortable. The cozy and charmingly decorated room had a wonderful view of the river and city from the cushioned bay window. The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. And the location was centrally convenient. It is the best major city hotel we have ever stayed at in the USA!

Go with the Suite

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Monaco for 3 nights at the end of June. We went with the suite for about $260/night. It was well worth the extra money. This was one of the nicest rooms I have stayed in for the money anywhere - including Four Seasons and The Plaza in NYC. We received a corner suite that was huge, with large bay windows overlooking the Chicago River and up towards the Mag Mile. Room was tasefully done and very clean. Service was friendly and location is right off Michigan close to everything and the Blue Line Train from O'Hare. The only minor complain I can think of was the bathroom was a bit small for a suite.
I would stay here again hands down, and highly recommend the place.

Hotel Monaco Questions

by lemonpie

Hotel Monaco looks really cool. Has anyone ever stayed here? Is it in walking distance to Michigan Ave. Is it in a safe area? Any feedback would be most helpful! :)

by Dabs

Haven't stayed there but it's one of Chicago's boutique hotels and it gets good reviews. I'd recommend checking out http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g35805-d111492-Reviews-Hotel_Monaco-Chicago_Illinois.html

It's located on Wabash (one block from Michigan) just south of the Chicago River so it's about 2 blocks to the start of the Magnificent Mile section of Michigan Avenue. It's in a safe area, if I was traveling with someone I wouldn't hesitate to walk back to the hotel at night. If I was by myself, I'd only take a cab if I didn't see a lot of people around or if it was very late. Perfectly safe during the day, it's at the north end of the loop (business district) and there are lots and lots of people around during the day.

by gomexico

"Remember it is Chicago just walk tall and have a great time. Do not talk alot to folks on the street and if get into a cab, give him the address nicely + strongly and thats all, to avoid seeing the whole city when youre only going a couple of blocks."

Where does all of this poppycock come from? I'm assuming the poster is joking with you.

I haven't stayed at the hotel, either. It's been around a long time, under different names and I used to work next door to the place. In fact, I walked in front of the hotel Friday night. The place looks okay, and I've read visitor comments saying they had good rooms for a good price. I'd describe it as a "second tier" hotel in the city. It's in the middle of things, but it's a place that doesn't come to mind quickly when someone talks about hotel rooms in the area.

The hotel is one block from Michigan Avenue. About 3 blocks from the start of the main shopping strip on Michigan Ave. (Nordstrom's). The area's safe.

Enjoy your visit!

by emilie1972

It's a great location, just off Michigan Ave., around the corner from the Hard Rock Hotel. not sure if they still offer you a goldfish when you check in to keep you company, but they used to. It's right across the street from the site of the Trump International building. You may hear some construction noise, but it's fun to watch.

Comments