151 East Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois, 60601, United States

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 24% less than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• staindesign's Profile Photo

Excellent View

The hotel was very beautiful. We drove up from Indy and had decided to self park bc we didn't see the point to pay so much more for valet parking. It is slightly confusing on lower Wacker dr to figure out where to park. We accidentally pulled into the valet area, which we didn't know was valet bc it is blocked by a wall. We were asking to have directions to the self park, the attendant was really rude when we told him we didn't want valet. He told us to get out of the valet area right now.

The check in was perfect and since we told him it was our anniversary he up graded our room. The over all feel of the hotel is a business class hotel. It has a couple of restaurants in the hotel and a few within walking distance. There is nothing wrong with the hotel, but I don't think we would stay here again. It was a little too tailored to business people for a relaxing weekend.

Unique Quality: We had the perfect view of the starting line of the Chicago Marathon.

• Hyatt Regency Hotel in Chicago

!I stayed in this hotel in 2000 for a Convention. My room was filthy! There was something black and sticky on the bathroom floor. Housekeeping sent someone to clean it, although she mopped the floor, the black sticky spot was still there. I had to show her how to clean the spot myself by getting down on my hands and knees! The tub and shower wall had soap scum one eighth to a quarter of an inch thick! There was also broken glass on the bathroom floor. Layers of thick dust covered everything in the bathroom and on every picture frame in the room. Think layers of dust were behind the TV, night stands and under the bed. I know what clean is, I used to s. Never in my life had I paid such an exorbitant amount of money to stay in such filth! I know what clean is, I use to own and operate my own house cleaning business. I plan to stay at the Hyatt this fall for a convention and pray that the rooms are clean. I would stay at another hotel, but to limited mobility, it is much easier for me to stay in the same hotel that the convention is taking place. There was also a lot of cigarett smoke in the lobby, just outside the front entrence doors, and coming fromthe rooms below the 6th floo and open doors of bars and resturants in the hotel, creatng a terrible stench and causing me suffer medical distress.

Unique Quality: I cannot think of any.

Directions: I do not know, I took a cab from the train startion.

• iweber's Profile Photo

Unreal location at a decent rate

I've put family here on multiple occasions because this is usually my bid winner on Priceline. I am never disappointed when I end up here because it's a really nice place in a very great location. (On the edge of the Magnificent Mile and within walking distance to Grant Park and steps to Michigan Avenue and Lake Michigan.
    The hotel itself has always been pleasant, very busy and beautiful lobby, with a big bar called Big Bar if I'm not mistaken.

Unique Quality: I've never used its amenities because the city has too much to offer but I'm sure they're nice.

Directions: Steps to the Mag Mile shopping district (on Michigan Ave) and Grant/Millennium Parks, Navy Pier is fairly close, there's myriad things right in the genreal area.

• Danalia's Profile Photo

Hyyatt Regency ,Chicago

The biggest problem with staying in Hyyatt Regency hotel is that since its so great you don't want to leave the room...... :)

Directions: 151 East Wacker Drive,
    Chicago, Illinois, USA 60601

• SUCH A WASTE!!!

Truly horrible experience. The lobby is impressive and the first front desk attendant was great, however everything after this point was awful. Our room itself was missing electrical plate covers and had chipped floors and counters with goopy glue messes where they had tried to attach pieces, not to mention stains on the duvet and very minimal lighting (2 bedside ights and one corner lamp). Hotel bar was typically closed even though it was advertised as being open every afternoon and night. The only time we saw it open was on a Saturday night when it closed at 1am despite being packed. (bar time is 4) Perhaps the most aggrivating problem we experienced was when the hotel mistakenly locked us out of our room for "credit reasons". They initially made us new keys which did not work and then accused me of having an unauthorized credit card. They finally realized their mistake, but instead of being apologetic for their error they made us wait for a half an hour outside our room before someone showed up to reset the lock so we could get inside. After all of this I also had the cleaning ladies walk in on me in the shower. The worst hotel experience I've had. I would have preferred a budget motel off the interstate!

Directions: Good area, very safe at night (for Chicago) and in walking distance of almost everything.

• not high end hotel

I payed $191 per night for this hotel due to a conference on site.......Yes, I too saw some stains on the comforter.....although I think it may have been paint? not sure. The most annoying part of my stay was the incredible opening of space under the door. They must have had a thicker carpet in the rooms prior because the space was so great that the bright light shined into the room from the hallway and the noise level of everyone from even down the hall a distance could be heard clearly, so sleep was not happening very well. I feared that the toilet would not completely flush when using it. The shower backed up immediately upon starting. The room next to mine had a short term stay (4hours) and I know this due to the thin walls that the conversation could be heard and I believe money was exchanged after that interaction! Overall, not a good stay but the staff were all very nice and pleasant.

• Large urine stains found on comforter

My husband, son and I stayed 2 nights at the Hyatt. The location was great - a short walk to tons of attractions and steps away from 'The Magnificent Mile'. The service was also top notch by every employee at the hotel.

On our second and last night I woke up and flipped the comforter over to get out of bed. It was a little further than I usually toss it, and I noticed a yellow stain on the underside. I was disgusted and surprised but when I continued to turn the comforter over - I was speechless. There were two large basket ball sized urine stains on the underside of the comforter 2 feet away from the foot of the bed. The stains were dry and there were no other marks anywhere on the bed.

I immediately took pictures and called the front desk to request a manager. A person named Kaylee came in and was also disgusted and was shocked that it wasn't thrown out.

I explained to him that I did not want to ask for any compensation as no dollar amount could justify sleeping in urine. He understood and explained that he would take care of it and he would make things right and seemed genuinely concerned.

We went for breakfast then proceeded to check out. At the front desk we saw that he did in fact request a refund, but only partial. We were still billed for things like parking, internet usage, etc. We actually paid over $100 for staying 2 nights in a bed with urine stains that may or may not have been washed (they still can't prove if it was a washed stain or if it was unwashed).

I went back and told them to take the money back and I would rather pay full price then take their partial refund. It felt like a slap in the face. Even the agent at the front desk told me that if I went to him first he would have wiped the slate clean and refunded everything and agreed that it was their opportunity to make things right. He was seemed shocked that the manager didn't request a full refund. He mentioned that even him as an agent could have authorized it.

I am upset that a hotel like the Hyatt could penny pinch. But my main concern is that I would never have seen this urine - it was an accident. How many other people in that hotel are sleeping with filthy bedding?

How can I report this to a higher authority? Any help would be appreciated.

Directions: Steps to The Magnificent Mile

• Mairo21's Profile Photo

...

At the time, there were many business conventions going on, so it was very congested and loud. I ran into another guest one morning, and he told me it took him almost half an hour to get an available elevator to his room. Overall, the service was good. Staff was effecient and friendly, and the room was nice. Pretty convenient location aswell.

Directions: Take Kennedy Expressway (I-90/94) East to Ohio St exit. Proceed on Ohio to State St and turn right. Turn left at Wacker Drive. Hotel will be down approx. 2 blocks on the right.

• Callavetta's Profile Photo

Chicago's Biggest Hotel

Our trip to Michigan to visit daughter Lorna who has just moved for University was bookended with weekends in Chicago. The first weekend we stayed at the Palmer House Hilton; the second at the Hyatt Regency.

The Hyatt was the opposite extreme from the Palmer House; new, modern, huge, and a bit impersonal. They bill themselves as a 4 star, slightly higher than the Palmer House, but I found them to fall behind in service and amenities. With over 2,000 rooms, this is said to be Chicago's biggest hotel. When we arrived, things were hopping but we quickly had a valet parking guy take our car and unload our bags. But then he just handed them to us. There was no bellman to assist us. We were directed to use the luggage elevator because the escalator to the second floor check in desk was out of order.

The girls headed up to check in and I found a place to sit and wait. Then Jill came and said "West wing, across the street. There's a passage way." So we schlepped our bags across the property to the other wing, took the elevators to the 9th floor and found that's not where our rooms were. Schlepped our bags back across the property, past the 4 well dressed bellman who stood near the check in desk watching a group of good looking women check in, no effort at all to help us! We finally located our room and the girls decided the two double beds were too small for all three of us. We called for a roll away. No, sorry, it's against the fire laws. Hmmmm, does the Palmer House know about that?

Unique Quality: Again, internet is extra. Lorna tries to put the bottles of ale that she brought into mini fridge and reads the sign on the front. Don't put your own items in this mini bar. You will be charged! There was a very comfy chair by the floor to ceiling window and an excellent view of the Chicago River and the Wrigley building. The chair "screams" as I plop down into it and the air is pressed out of the cushion. Lorna puts a glass of wine in front of me (smart girl) and finally I am unwinding and not so dissatisfied.

The hotel is a block and a half from Michigan Ave. and the start of the "miracle mile". The girls are ready to shop. Go! I'm into my second glass of wine and enjoying the view.

The Hyatt Grand Bed is pretty nice with it's pillow top mattress and excellent quality linens. So here is my next big gripe. Why do hotels always use flat sheets on the bottom mattress? By the time you pull out the top sheet the thing is already loose and just one or two turns and the bottom sheet has begun to come off. By morning I find I'm laying on bare mattress. Would fitted sheets be take longer for the maids to make up the beds? Are they more expensive? I don't get it!

All in all, I would not return to the Hyatt Regency. It was too big, too impersonal and the staff not helpful. For $300 you can do better.

• BigBlueOne's Profile Photo

Corner of Lake Michigan and the Chicago River

I stayed here for a business meeting with the American Hospital Association. The rooms were good but actually great if you consider the rate that was paid (close to half of any other time I've stayed in Chicago- but may have been because of a business rate).

The hotel itself has plenty of amenities... bar, restaurants, etc. but no workout facility on site. You can, however, go down the street for a few dollars and work out at a gym that they have an agreement with.

Unique Quality: I'd say the best qualities are the reasonable rates, it has good views from most rooms, and it is right in the middle of the action.

Directions: Right about where the Chicago River meets Lake Michigan

• jglsongs's Profile Photo

Rooms with a view

The amenities are no better or worse than any other huge, luxury hotel. Request a room with the king beds- very comfortable and lots of pillows.

Unique Quality: The hotel has two towers, east and west, and until you get used to where you're staying, it can be very confusing.

Directions: Just east of Michigan Avenue on Wacker Drive

• traveloturc's Profile Photo

right place in the city

I ve had a wonderful room with the view of the river .The only problem is that you dont want to sleep ))))very near to everywhere shopping ..restaurants etc etc
    Very beautiful bar very near to the hotel .You can find even raki to drink ( very typical turkish drink)

Unique Quality: Nice and helpful people

• simcard's Profile Photo

Hyatt

It was very pleasant stay. We got an unbelievable great deal from hotwire.com. Room is big and clean, very well designed. Front desk service is very friendly and nice. Location is perfect. Five minutes walk to subway, right by the chicago river and Michigan ave. However, they charge an additional $39 for parking.

• keida84's Profile Photo

Centrally located to the "Magnificent Mile"

When I began planning this particular trip I decided to give "HotWire.com" a try. This is an online, name your price, hotel discounter that only reveals the name of your hotel AFTER you purchase the room. Admitedly I was more than a bit apprehensive, however, the choices that were offered were all in the area of my chosing. The Chicago Hyatt Regency was the hotel that was "chosen" for me according to the information I submitted for the bid.

The Hyatt is located off Michigan Avenue on Wacker. An excellent location for walking to many places of interest such as The Millennium Park, The Art Museum, and The "Magnificent Mile" of Michigan Avenue."

I am a "Gold Passport" member of the Hyatt frequent guest program so this entitled me to a separate line for check in. I was given a room on the 29th floor which was safe, secure and most comfortable.
    The room had a King size bed, a club chair with a small table and a desk with an "executive" chair. The armoire which contained the TV, coffee maker and mini honor bar was on a movable platform, you could turn the entire armoire about 30 degrees to either the right or the left, it also had a full length mirror on the side. I never did get the "plush bathrobe" that was advertised to be a part of the amenties offered. I also found out to my chagrin that I was allergic to the hand lotion provided in the room, too heavy on the fragrance and quite irritatating to my skin.

The room was decorated in clean lines with an "art deco motif." Spartan looking. I did not care for the lighting in the room. I need bright light when reading or doing tasks. The bedside lights were actually suspended on long arms, much like that of a drafting table light, which made it very difficult to reach up and turn on the light. I was disoriented in the dark one night and I actually fell out of bed trying to find the light switch. Note to Hyatt: "Get rid of those lights!" Other than that the room was well maintained and comfortable.

Unique Quality: The Chicago Hyatt had a small fitness center downstairs, a few treadmills and other cardio equipment with some weight machines and free weights. I walked so much this week end I did not need to use the fitness center.

The business center was okay but I felt that the prices were a tad high for internet use. I was trying to show someone how to use the VT web site and at $7 per 15 minutes I could not really give proper instruction and besides I did not have much time and I needed to print boading passes for my return flight home and I was unable to do so even after several attempts (at 75 cents per page).

Room service was fairly good but pricey. I only ordered breakfast so I cannot review the dinner menu. The honor bar was without price list so that kept me from using it, I was not about to blindly pay $6 for a Coca Cola that was for sure!

All in all this was an excellent value for the money. I paid $90 per night through the Hotwire deal. Which is much lower than the general Hyatt rack rate for that patricular room.

Directions: Right off Michigan Avenue at Wacker Drive

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

Location that can't be beat

The Hyatt Regency is another established and busy conference-oriented hotel in a very desirable Chicago location. The Hyatt is convenient for activities in the Loop such as the Art Institute, the Symphony and the theaters, and at the same time is easily accessible for North Michigan Ave. shopping. Rooms have been remodeled recently, and are understated and soothing. (They need to do something about the hallway carpets, however.)

The Hyatt Regency recently appears on Priceline bid sheets. If you are looking for quality accomodation in the off-season, you might be able to find rate of between $60 and $70 a night here. Not a bad deal, IMHO!

More about Hyatt Regency Chicago

Blake?

by wwwllw

Hi, my husband and I will be coming to Chicago Oct 13-20. This seems to be a busy week in chicago. We have reservations for 14th-19th (flying out from ohare early on the 20th) at the Blake. The 13th was an afterthought and the Blake didn't hava a room for that night so got the hyatt regency chicago for that night on . The Blake reservations are refundable and I am wondering if I should look farther north after reading warnings about it being very quiet there at night. We will be traveling th UofC hospital everyday and returning in the evening and will need to grab some fairly inexpensive dinner.
I know ther is not alot of hotels available that week but I could try. Also I am wondering about safe tranportation to UofC. Thanks so much for your time, linda

Re: Blake?

by TRimer

Do you mean the Drake Hotel? Which U of Chicago hospital will you be visiting? The main one is in Hyde Park on the Southside of Chicago so you will probably not want to stay on the north side. You might want to consider the Hilton on South Michigan Avenue.

Re: Blake?

by ljbs

The Blake is in the south Loop and the area is not deserted at night and is well patrolled. Riding public transportation is quite safe, but the routes that the Chicago Transit Authority suggests on its trip planner, which in my opinion are pretty safe, might seem scary to people not used to Chicago. They are also somewhat roundabout because they involve only a very short walk. The hospatals are at 58th St; and it's a four block walk to 55th St., and from there it's a much simpler trip by either going west to the Red Line el (which might strike some people as scary) or going east to the #6 bus (which I don't think people find scary and is pretty ride by the lake).

You should have no difficulty finding fairly inexpensive reatuarants in either the university area, Hyde Park, or in the Loop.

Comments