4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

InterContinental Booking.com Orbitz.com

Costs 31% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• WulfstanTraveller's Profile Photo

Grand but Impersonal Hotel

Despite the great traits this hotel has going for it - location, architecture, pool, etc. (see below), this hotel is a bit of a let-down overall. It is more expensive than, say, the Knickerbocker, service is not nearly as good, the rooms are smaller and less well-appointed, and the beds far inferior. It is also "cold" in the sense of being impersonal, with staff that seems efficient enough but not friendly are helpful. I note that, although I generally like handling my bags myself and am quite capable of so doing, and although we have two kids and lots of bags, not one person even came to help as or ask for help as we arrived at the hotel. We were simply ignored. The room was fine but a bit cramped and had minimal view. They have also replaced the original lobby by, as has annoyingly been done at some other grand old hotels I have seen (like one in Portland, Oregon) turned the lovely, uniquely designed lobby into a restaurant and making the lobby in the new section of the hotel. That lobby is large and "grand" but it's a bland cookie-cutter mediocrity, a typical modern mass-produced version of fancy - all flash but no character, uniqueness, or style. This also ruins the original feel and flow of the building, something I can't stand.

It seems that this place mostly caters to business people and not to people seeking a personal, charming stay. It was full of people who seemed like lawyers, businessmen, and other here for conferences and the like (all using the ubiquitous and characterless gym/health club instead of using the magnificent pool, which we made a point of using).

That said, it does have a lovely pool and great location, and it is efficiently run and clean. In the end analysis, though, I firmly feel that the only reason to choose this place over, say, the Knickerbocker, is the pool.

Unique Quality: This hotel has a fabulous location, right on the Magnificent Mile section of Michigan Ave in the North Loop, just north of the Chicago River and Wrigley Building. This gives great access to the area, downtown Loop, L stops, as well as nice views.

It is also an interesting and magnificent building in parts and has a magnificent swimming pool.

Directions: On the Magnificent Mile section of Michigan Ave in the North Loop, just north of the Chicago River and Wrigley Building.

• NOT a 4.5 Star hotel!!!!

This hotel is old and worn. It is NOT updated and just seems dirty. Parking cost $65 and a little simple cot cost $50.There was very limited lighting, and poor lighting for doing hair and make-up. I felt let-down, ripped-off, and disappointed after my stay at the InterContinental in Chicago.

• Donrogelio's Profile Photo

Classy

We stayed at the Intercontinental for 3 nights and were treated like royalty by everyone. The room was spacious. The room service was pricey, but the food was fabulous.

Unique Quality: The personnel is outstanding. All the employees we encountered were so accommodating.

Directions: On Michigan, above the tribune tower

• Great Experiences

I always stay at the InterContinental probably because I had a very pleasant stay the first time so why fix something that's not broken. The staff is alwasy very friendly and helpful. They have a cafe for breakfas/brunch/lunch -not sure if it serves dinner or not. Good menu, A bit pricey but what hotel cafe isn't. Also have a lounge with comfy sofas and other soft seating. Good drinks served in nice, fine-rimmed glassware, and wonderful shrimp cocktail. Nice stop on your way out for the night.

Unique Quality: The decor is up to date, not couture, but nice, warm, inviting and up to date. Clean & well located. I think you get a lot for what you pay for at this hotel.

• SmileyLeSa's Profile Photo

Junior Olympic Size Swimming Pool

See Above.

Unique Quality: Even if you don't use the pool, you must at least go see it as I did. As you first enter, it appears as if you have entered something out of Roman literature. The pool was build as part of the originial construction of the building dating back to 1929. At its time, it was considered quite extraordinary to have built a pool above ground.

There is a statue of Neptune on the far wall and there is stadium seating for observers. The pool is located in the historical tower of the building.

• SmileyLeSa's Profile Photo

Location.. Location.. Location

The InterContinental Hotel is a luxury landmark hotel. The historical building was originally built in 1929 and served as a luxury men's club . It was converted to a hotel in 1988. The InterContinental is located in the heart of Chicago's Magnificent Mile. As far as location goes, it could not be more convenient. Some sites and attractions are within walking distance. The trolley stops are located right by the hotel. The service was good and the rooms were fine.

Unique Quality: You must check out the pool while you are there. (See tip below.)

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

A Splashy Hotel

The Intercontinental is a pretty spiffy place - I was glad to find a good rate so I could check out the rooms at this traditional and established Chicago landmark. The rooms are a little smaller than what you might expect for the price - the Intercontinental is often classified as a 4.5 star property. On the other hand, I like the rooms themselves - they have "art deco" touches that are entirely in keeping with the age and design of the hotel. My room was on the 12th floor and had a great view of bustling Michigan Avenue below. It was also far enough up so that the traffic noise was minimal.

(I used one of those discount booking services, and was able to get a rate of about $100 a night plus change. I think I was lucky -- you can spend a lot more here if you are silly enough to pay the rack rate.)

Unique Quality: A major attraction of the Intercontinental is the historic pool, located on the 12th floor of the historic tower. It's the kind of place where you expect to run into Esther Williams and a bevy of beauties doing a Busby Berkeley routine.

• best location - fantastic lobby

I was there whilst the hotel was undergoing construction (and therefore rates were very forthcoming). But even then the entrance, lobby and staircase were most impressive. Even though my room mostlikely had not yet been re-decorated the clever layout let it appear bigger than it was. The view up and down Michigan Av. at night was great. As is the location likewise ideal for North Michigan Av and for downtown.
    Unfortunately is fully booked during my next stay.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo

Refurbished History

Unique Quality: Intercontinental bought this property in 1988 and recently finished renovations to its rooms in the old part and in the modern tower. This is the lion medallion looking back to the entranceway. It was originally built in 1929 as Medinah Athletic Club -- and didn't survive the economic depression.

• sketchyhand's Profile Photo

Hotel Intercontinental is the...

Hotel Intercontinental is the perfect place.
    I do not know the exact price because we recieved a group discount, but I have seen deals for about 170 a night.

Unique Quality: A beautiful hotel both inside and out. The view from the upper stories is magnificent and the location allows you to walk to anywhere in downtown.

Directions: Right downtown off of Michigan Avenue, next to the Tribune building. The address is 505 N. Michigan Avenue.

More about InterContinental Chicago

Everything I hoped for...

I was nervous to see this hotel in person. I haven't had the best luck booking a hotel online. Usually I'm very disappointed. This hotel was FABULOUS!!!! The staff was very friendly and accomodating. They were always ready to help. They seemed genuinely interested that we were having a good time. Always ready with directions if we needed it.

The concierge was very helpful. Made reservations for us to see a show and even came up with a curling iron for my sister-in-law to borrow.

The rooms were wonderful. We stayed in the historical tower. The beds had feather beds on the matresses and down comforters on top. The bathroom was huge. The decor beautiful. The only downfall was the coffee maker was in the bathroom and there weren't very many outlets outside of the bathroom for coffe pot and curling irons.

Highly reccomend this hotel

LOVED IT !!

My sister in law and I stayed here for 3 days and we LOVED IT !!
We felt like Queens for those 3 days too. (and we do get out somewhat)
Anyway we had a wonderful time here. We stayed in the old historical
tower, with lovely feathered beds and down comforters on top. The bathroom in this room was hugh too. (even had a scale in the bathroom) not that we really wanted to use it !! :8)
The room was very clean also.

The doormen were #1 on my list too. They were always right there
getting you in and out of cabs. Very nice gentlemen too.
The concierge was helpful too, even had umbrellas for us to use.
The staff was very friendly and helpful in every way too.

All i can say is this place was FABULOUS!!! and we are coming back.

Comments