Kinzie Hotel

HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Would stay here again!

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 2, 2015

My husband and I loved everything about this hotel, from the friendly and helpful staff, to the clean and comfortable room to the amazing central location! A definite A+ and we'll for sure stay with them again!

Never Again!

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 17, 2011

The room itself was fine and comfortable(very peaceful), but the customer service by the so-called, concierge or "experience something or the others" left much to be desired. First, I arrived and the doorman walked me to the desk. I was not greeted with the usual "Hello, welcome to...". Instead, I got, "Your name? ID?" No, "hello", no "welcome to the Amalfi Hotel," just plain old poor customer service from the very beginning! That left a very bad taste in my mouth, but I decided to let it go and see how the rest of my stay was.

The next day, I had some questions about suggestions on where to go to eat dinner. We were looking for any restaurant that was Chicago-based, not the usual chain hotel, and moderately priced. I went downstairs and was confused as to which one was the concierge, since in normal hotels, the concierge was separate from everyone else. But, at the Amalfi, there are two desks with hotel staff and by the door is the podium where the doorman stands. Well, I thought for sure the one at the podium was the actual concierge, due to the fact that anyone who stood there was always so pleasant and attentive. Just in case, I asked the ladies at the desk where I could find the concierge. They replied that they were! One of them was the lady who originally checked me in. So, I tried my luck with the other one, instead. I explained what I was looking for, in terms of restaurants, and lo and behold, she couldn't think of any restaurants to recommend to me! She said she lives on the South Side of Chicago, so she doesn't know the restaurants around there very well. Ummm, I'm thinking that if you are a concierge, then whether you live there or not, you'd still make it your business to know things like that! So, the other lady gave me a few names of restaurants, instead.

Then, on one occasion, my friend noticed the difference in treatment between one couple and other guests. The couple was made to wait and others were immediately waited on. When the other guests told them the couple was ahead of them, they took the couple's information, without asking them to have a seat, meanwhile proceeding to offer the other guests water while they were waiting. This was the same poor customer service I also received when I arrived, as mentioned above. So, it wasn't just me that received this type of service!

Then, we decided to order in one night and proceeded to call and ask for restaurants that delivered and we were told that we could order room service, which would come from a nearby restaurant. We did not have a menu in our room, so her solution was to read me the menu over the phone, line by line! After much annoyance, I asked them to send someone up with the menu, which she seemed annoyed to have to do!

Also, I noticed when we would go out for the day and come back, they would never say, "Good morning" or "Good Evening" when they saw us. That's what I am accustomed to at other hotels. My friend was so annoyed by this that one evening she passed by and then turned around and pleasantly said, "Good evening!" The response was a confused "Good evening," as if they were wondering why she said it!

The other employees were quite pleasant, especially the doormen! They always greeted you warmly and asked you how your day was going!

Housekeeping was ok, but after I left the room one day, I had to return because I forgot something. When I got back to the room the housekeeping cart was holding the door open, but the maid was not in the room! So, anyone could have gone in our room and stolen something.

The continental breakfast was fine and I liked that it was on every floor.

The wireless service was awful!!!!! My iPhone would not work properly the entire time I was there. Once I left the hotel, it was better!

The manager ended up calling me(bill issues) and we spoke about the customer service at her hotel. She apologized for her staff, but failed to offer a reduction in the bill! $20 off would have been a good gesture.

Maybe it's because I am from Florida, which is a state that caters to tourists, that I am used to a higher level of service. That being said, I have traveled all over the world, as far as Japan and Ghana, and have received better service!

Overall, there are many hotels in the downtown area, so don't waste your money on this one!

Directions: River North District, Downtown

Holidays In Chicago For Grateful Days

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 21, 2009

To spend holidays at chicago hotels is also an adventure activities where visitors can all chicago's landmarks nearest to their hotels in this city.

Unique Quality: business center, breakfast, refrigerator, microwave, internet in every guest rooms

sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Nice hotel

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 24, 2007

A good, friendly and relatively cheap place - payed $200 for a very spacious room with a king bed.
The building is only 16 stories high: first 6 floors are used as the hotel, the rest are probably for offices.

Free high-speed Internet in rooms. Gym (5th floor), lounge(6th floor).

Breakfast is served on each floor next to the elevators. Includes: 3 types of juices in bottles, tea, coffee, fresh croussants, muffins, butter/jam, apples/oranges..
Free snacks (cheese, sausage, veggies, bread) and beverages are also served from 5.30pm till 7pm in the lounge. Better come early and you won`t have to stand in a long queue and can grab yourself a comfortable seat.

Staff comes at 8-9pm for a turn down service: prepares the beds, puts few pieces of Ghirardelli chocolates.

There is a seafood grill and bar with live music called Red Fish next to the hotel (on the left), an upscale restaurant (on the right) and Harry Carey`s steak house (across the street).

The con: vallet parking, costs $39 per day and if you need your car even for a few hours, coming back you`ll have to pay $39 again. When leaving, we saw a self-parking lot right around the corner (on State Str), don`t know how much it costs but I bet it`s cheaper.

frenchmoxie's Profile Photo

Extremely clean and great service

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 13, 2004

We stayed here for two nights. There is a free continental breakfast in the mornings with coffee, pastries, muffins, fruits and juices and the baked goods were fresh! Our room had two queen beds, and I believe it was $170 a night. If you want to get to downtown from this hotel though you probably would have to take a cab, unless you don't mind walking a bit. Overall, I loved this hotel. The staff were very helpful and nice.

Unique Quality: There is a guest 'party' every night on the 6th floor from 5:30-7. They serve free beverages and snacks. Very nice.

Directions: Chicago river, by the Westin

• Free High Speed Internet
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Chicago Travel Forum

Need advice about Chicago, Illinois? Visit the Travel Forum for Chicago and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Chicago hotel reviews

Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 3 Reviews
Chicago South Loop Hotel
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review

Explore Deeper into Chicago
Willis Tower (Formerly Sears Tower)
Field Museum of Natural History
Michigan Avenue
Shedd Aquarium
Things to Do
METRA and South Shore Line (suburban rail network)
Art Institute
Driving/Parking
Lake Michigan & Lincoln Park
Things to Do
Greyhound/Megabus (U.S. bus system)
Transportation
Amtrak (U.S. train network)
Taxis