20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, Illinois, 60610, United States

Kinzie Hotel Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 68% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Never Again!

The room itself was fine and comfortable(very peaceful), but the customer service by the so-called, concierge or "experience something or the others" left much to be desired. First, I arrived and the doorman walked me to the desk. I was not greeted with the usual "Hello, welcome to...". Instead, I got, "Your name? ID?" No, "hello", no "welcome to the Amalfi Hotel," just plain old poor customer service from the very beginning! That left a very bad taste in my mouth, but I decided to let it go and see how the rest of my stay was.

The next day, I had some questions about suggestions on where to go to eat dinner. We were looking for any restaurant that was Chicago-based, not the usual chain hotel, and moderately priced. I went downstairs and was confused as to which one was the concierge, since in normal hotels, the concierge was separate from everyone else. But, at the Amalfi, there are two desks with hotel staff and by the door is the podium where the doorman stands. Well, I thought for sure the one at the podium was the actual concierge, due to the fact that anyone who stood there was always so pleasant and attentive. Just in case, I asked the ladies at the desk where I could find the concierge. They replied that they were! One of them was the lady who originally checked me in. So, I tried my luck with the other one, instead. I explained what I was looking for, in terms of restaurants, and lo and behold, she couldn't think of any restaurants to recommend to me! She said she lives on the South Side of Chicago, so she doesn't know the restaurants around there very well. Ummm, I'm thinking that if you are a concierge, then whether you live there or not, you'd still make it your business to know things like that! So, the other lady gave me a few names of restaurants, instead.

Then, on one occasion, my friend noticed the difference in treatment between one couple and other guests. The couple was made to wait and others were immediately waited on. When the other guests told them the couple was ahead of them, they took the couple's information, without asking them to have a seat, meanwhile proceeding to offer the other guests water while they were waiting. This was the same poor customer service I also received when I arrived, as mentioned above. So, it wasn't just me that received this type of service!

Then, we decided to order in one night and proceeded to call and ask for restaurants that delivered and we were told that we could order room service, which would come from a nearby restaurant. We did not have a menu in our room, so her solution was to read me the menu over the phone, line by line! After much annoyance, I asked them to send someone up with the menu, which she seemed annoyed to have to do!

Also, I noticed when we would go out for the day and come back, they would never say, "Good morning" or "Good Evening" when they saw us. That's what I am accustomed to at other hotels. My friend was so annoyed by this that one evening she passed by and then turned around and pleasantly said, "Good evening!" The response was a confused "Good evening," as if they were wondering why she said it!

The other employees were quite pleasant, especially the doormen! They always greeted you warmly and asked you how your day was going!

Housekeeping was ok, but after I left the room one day, I had to return because I forgot something. When I got back to the room the housekeeping cart was holding the door open, but the maid was not in the room! So, anyone could have gone in our room and stolen something.

The continental breakfast was fine and I liked that it was on every floor.

The wireless service was awful!!!!! My iPhone would not work properly the entire time I was there. Once I left the hotel, it was better!

The manager ended up calling me(bill issues) and we spoke about the customer service at her hotel. She apologized for her staff, but failed to offer a reduction in the bill! $20 off would have been a good gesture.

Maybe it's because I am from Florida, which is a state that caters to tourists, that I am used to a higher level of service. That being said, I have traveled all over the world, as far as Japan and Ghana, and have received better service!

Overall, there are many hotels in the downtown area, so don't waste your money on this one!

Directions: River North District, Downtown

• Holidays In Chicago For Grateful Days

To spend holidays at chicago hotels is also an adventure activities where visitors can all chicago's landmarks nearest to their hotels in this city.

Unique Quality: business center, breakfast, refrigerator, microwave, internet in every guest rooms

• sunshine9689's Profile Photo

Nice hotel

A good, friendly and relatively cheap place - payed $200 for a very spacious room with a king bed.
    The building is only 16 stories high: first 6 floors are used as the hotel, the rest are probably for offices.

Free high-speed Internet in rooms. Gym (5th floor), lounge(6th floor).

Breakfast is served on each floor next to the elevators. Includes: 3 types of juices in bottles, tea, coffee, fresh croussants, muffins, butter/jam, apples/oranges..
    Free snacks (cheese, sausage, veggies, bread) and beverages are also served from 5.30pm till 7pm in the lounge. Better come early and you won`t have to stand in a long queue and can grab yourself a comfortable seat.

Staff comes at 8-9pm for a turn down service: prepares the beds, puts few pieces of Ghirardelli chocolates.

There is a seafood grill and bar with live music called Red Fish next to the hotel (on the left), an upscale restaurant (on the right) and Harry Carey`s steak house (across the street).

The con: vallet parking, costs $39 per day and if you need your car even for a few hours, coming back you`ll have to pay $39 again. When leaving, we saw a self-parking lot right around the corner (on State Str), don`t know how much it costs but I bet it`s cheaper.

• frenchmoxie's Profile Photo

Extremely clean and great service

We stayed here for two nights. There is a free continental breakfast in the mornings with coffee, pastries, muffins, fruits and juices and the baked goods were fresh! Our room had two queen beds, and I believe it was $170 a night. If you want to get to downtown from this hotel though you probably would have to take a cab, unless you don't mind walking a bit. Overall, I loved this hotel. The staff were very helpful and nice.

Unique Quality: There is a guest 'party' every night on the 6th floor from 5:30-7. They serve free beverages and snacks. Very nice.

Directions: Chicago river, by the Westin

More about Amalfi Hotel Chicago

Great Small Hotel

by MaryAllison about American Girl Place

We recently stayed at the Amalfi Hotel (listed on the american Girl place website in travel tips) This is a small botique hotel. What a Gem. The services was outstanding and the hotel accomodations, bedding, Aveda spa products in the bathroom, and my favorite breakfast included in the rate and served ON EVERY GUEST ROOM FLOOR ( How cool!!! my daughter loved it) in the evening they have alounge that serves sodas and for the adults AN OPEN BAR!! Moma can use a martini after a long day at AGP. I would definately stay there again and it not that far a walk to the store, Super value and the hotel is cotemporary yet family friendly. By the way they allow dogs!!!!!

Great Stay!!

by TripAdvisor Member justjoan52

We recently stayed at the Amalfi Hotel in Chicago and really loved its eclectic, yet boutique style. Granted, no posh lobby or bar, but our room was absolutley wonderful. Wonderful pastries, fruit and coffee were available on each floor every morning. A cozy, complimentary Happy Hour each night made you feel that you were part of a special community. Extremely comfortable beds turned down at night, with a delicious chocolate was the perfect ending to a night on the town.
Staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Perfect location in Chicago for so many attractions. Would definitely stay there again. Just lots of nice little suprises.

Top Shelf

by TripAdvisor Member THERESA

Just got back from Chicago. And had the pleasure of Staying at Amalfi Hotel. From Check in on, it was Wonderful. The Lobby is really cool. Although Small, very Bright and the Colors Made Me feel good even though it was 4 degree's outside. Check in was really quick (Literally 3-4 Minutes) and I rolled Myself and suitcase to room 413. It was Beautiful. The king bed was huge and I loved all the colors of the Room. The Bathroom was Great. It was really big and the double headed shower, felt good after a long day of shopping. They set up a Lovely Breakfast spead at the elevators. and You can help Yourself to all the goodies. Evening time, They have a Lounge on the 6th floor that serves Cocktails and Snacks. I tried the House Martini and Loved it. They also were serving some really good Meats and Cheese's that everyone just raved about. The entire Staff is Awesome. Really Helpful and nice to Me the entire time. I can't say enough good things about the Hotel. It is off Michigan Ave, and that really appealed to Me. I was able to walk to all the Stores I wanted to shop at. And 2 blocks from Nordstrom's, and I really had a great time there, I shopped there 2 days in a row, One day I was there for 5 hours, and I had to go back to checkout the rest of the Mall. I had lunch At Cafe Nordstrom 2 times and it was really good. If your on a budget, The portions are big enough for 2. The Tomato Basil soup was to Die for. Ladies, all the big stores I visited had up to 70% off on so many items, I was in Shopping Hell. I really could've did some damage to My Man's American Express, But I didn't want to give Him a heart attack, or ruin My chances for the next trip I'm already planning.

But when in Chicago, Try Amalfi Hotel. You will not be disappointed.

A Great Place to Stay in Chicago

by TripAdvisor Member twilson906

My wife and I just got back from a 3-night stay at the Amalfi and enjoyed it very much. The staff was great! The free breakfast and coctails in the evening were a unexpected pleasure. We stayed at the Intercontinental (one of Chicago's best) for two nights preceeding our stay at the Amalfi and, although the room at the Intercontinental was larger, the Amalfi was a much more enjoyable stay due the the excellent service and the little extras. I also appreciated the fact that the cost of the room at the Amalfi was more than $100 per night less than the Intercontinental. This is a great place to stay in Chicago!

So ready to love the Amalfi, but utterly disappointed

After reading all the glowing reviews here, we eagerly booked a Deluxe Corner King Room, the most expensive room type. We called ahead to let them know that we'd be late checking in, and also to confirm our request for a crib. I emphasized that it was VERY important that the crib be set up and ready as we would be arriving so late at night. The front desk staff reassured me that it wouldn't be a problem.

We arrived at 11pm on Friday night, exhausted from our 4-hour flight, and our toddler was sleepy and ready for bed. As we feared, no crib had been set up! We called to the front desk and they said they'd find one "right away." Forty-five minutes later, at midnight, (not "right away" in my book), someone finally arrived with a PLAYPEN. Note to Amalfi management: a playpen is not a crib, nor is it an adequate substitute. To add insult to injury, they gave us a BROKEN playpen...the leg support was loose and unstable. Apparently, the hotel had run out of cribs.

Next up: our mini-fridge was BROKEN. But we didn't discover this until after we found out that they hadn't left us a key to the fridge. We had to call housekeeping for it. Anyway, having a fridge was imperative, as we had to store milk and other food for our toddler. I immediately reported it to housekeeping, and they NEVER fixed it or acknowledged the problem during our 2-night stay there. We ended up having to buy new cartons of milk and yogurt twice a day.

The room itself: we booked a Deluxe Corner King room, the most expensive and supposedly the largest. What an utter disappointment. Sure, the soft linens and silk comforter were wonderful, it was spotless and very clean, and there were other nice touches such as a magazine selection, CD, Aveda products, and books, but other than that, the place was **dark and depressing**. I was expecting a fairly decent-sized hotel room, but instead, when we opened our door, we saw a long, dark hallway that stretched around the corner to a tiny room. I guess that long hallway makes it "deluxe" somehow...? After paying a pretty "deluxe" rate, I would expect at least a view of the street, or something. But from one of our windows, we got a great view of a BRICK WALL. From the other window on the adjacent corner, another panoramic view of a BRICK WALL. Needless to say, there was NO NATURAL LIGHT in our room. So how is this a "deluxe corner" room??

Another problem was the air conditioning. It was LOUD. It didn't prevent my laid-back husband from sleeping, but even he admitted that it bothered him. It definitely prevented me from getting any quality rest.

The bed. Warning: if you have back problems or prefer sleeping on a firmer surface, you're not going to like the Amalfi beds. That was the softest, least supportive bed that I have ever slept in. Granted, I'm 6 months pregnant so I'm a little achey these days, but even my husband complained about it.

Breakfast buffet: after reading the reviews, I thought that it would be more than it really was. It turned out to be a small table set up in front of the elevators, with a basic assortment of danishes, croissants, muffins, and breads. Yes, they were nicer pastries than the ones you'd find at the Holiday Inn breakfast buffet, but not THAT much nicer! There was a bowl of apples and bananas. Tea and coffee served up in pretty urns. A basic continental breakfast, that's all. Nothing fancy. Strangely, they did not provide PLATES on either morning that we were there. I had to spread a napkin across a serving tray (with an open basket bottom) and bring my food back to my room, dribbling crumbs all the way.

I've saved the best for last: the horrible, horrible concierge -- oops, sorry, the "Experience Designer." It was a miserable and rainy Saturday morning and my husband, friend, son, and I were looking for a nearby brunch place to drive to. The concierge said, "There are lots of places you can walk to within 2 - 3 blocks." I said, "We don't have an umbrella and would prefer to drive." "She said, "You're going to have a lot of trouble finding parking." I said, "That's OK, we're used to it. So can you recommend any places nearby?" She said, "Just drive around and you'll find something." WTF?! The CONCIERGE just told me to "drive around" until I find a restaurant? And this after she just told me how bad parking was?? Uh, lady, how about doing your job?? Her demeanor was incrediby curt and impatient, and she didn't crack a smile even once. Talk about a useless, rude, incompetent, and UNPROFESSIONAL concierge.

My bottom line on this hotel: they try really hard in certain areas (little personal touches in the rooms, very nice doormen, hip and mod decor in the lobby, very clean rooms), but the lack of professionalism and standard procedure are painfully apparent. And if the other rooms are anything like our dark, depressing, and tiny "deluxe corner" room, then you'd truly be better off elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a prissy 5-star hotel princess, in fact - we usually stay at simpler hotels and inns, but for a supposedly upscale boutique hotel, I was shocked by how sub-par it was compared to the less trendy and chain-type hotels.

Very nice experience!

by TripAdvisor Member mrbig1627

Cool. Sophisticated. Hip. Affordable. Minimalist lobby with asian overtones combined with urban deco. Cool Jazz in the room, while sleeping on a cloud of a bed. Aveda products wowed the Mrs. As everyone said previously, just right amount of continental breakfast with enough touches to prevent you from thinking "cheap". Enjoyed happy hour for only a night. Just enough of a crowd, topped only by the friendly service and generous libations. We will definitely stay there again. Oh, and everything was walking distance, to help burn off great area food. Thanks, Amalfi!

Exceptional!

by TripAdvisor Member IslandBreeze

The Amalfi is a great place to stay in Chicago if you are looking for an upscale atmosphere and plan to enjoy your accomodations (and not just sleep). This hotel has that European flair which makes the stay even more enjoyable.

Here is my take on the pluses and minuses:

They offer a great breakfast spread of assorted juices, coffee, tea, fruit, pastries (including my favorite chocolate croissants) which can be found from 6:30am to 10:30am in the foyer on your floor opposite the elevators. Run out of your room and grab some food in your jammies if you're daring!

I stayed in a corner room (with a foyer) with king bed (ever so comfortable) which was great for light but not necessarily for the view (of the surrounding neighborhood). So, I can't vouch for the other (what i would assume to be smaller) rooms.

Two showerheads (more than enough) in the bathrooms which I considered to have a generous amount of space with a mini vanity area included, plush towels. The loo I thought was a little too close to the bathtub (nonetheless...).

A fee-free business center is available where you can access the computer, internet, printer and fax services although it is located only on one floor and is for single use at a time.

The decor is spectacular, appearance is tops, ambience is one-of-a-kind. The carpet and bedding appear to be clean. Although there is an ice machine on each floor, I did not find an ice bucket which could have been in the mini-bar which you had to access by key. I wasn't planning on opening it anyways, since there might have been charges added just for unlocking it. For those who love to be pampered, there is also a bedding turn-down service in which they leave tasty chocolates by your pillow (not needed in my opinion). Magazines are rotated through your room for your browsing pleasure (another extra I didn't need). The closet was rather small I thought as well.

Great Cajun restaurant, Redfish located just outside the entrance to the hotel. Awesome food! Takeout and dine-in only. Easy access to the Magnificent Mile (just two blocks) on foot.

Pricy too.