Chicago Hotels

Our Members Say

• Glorija profile photo Glorija
  • Reviews: 211

Hilton Lisle/Naperville: 100% smoke-free hotel

The Hilton Lisle/Naperville hotel in Lisle, Illinois features beautifully appointed and elegant hotel rooms. The Hilton Lisle/Naperville hotel offers complimentary shuttle service to local area companies and Metra train station.

Direction: From Chicago take Eisenhower Expressway to the Aurora exit which is Interstate 88 (East/West Tollway). Go approximately 10 miles to Route 53 South to Warrenville Road. Go one and one-half miles west. The hotel is on the left Transportation is available from downtown Chicago via the Metro Train-only 30 minutes. Courtesy hotel shuttle available from Lisle train station.

I visited nearby attraction like Chicago Premium Outlets Mall and was satisfied. Very satisfied. This hotel offered to me a private jacuzzi and swiming pool ...

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Luxury Travel
  • Written February 23, 2007
Tip Photo

My staying in hilton was great!

• Martman profile photo Martman
  • Reviews: 288

Buddy

I stayed at my friend. He is the nicest person and went out of his way to ensure I had a great time. Thank You! I regret to advise that this accomodation is not open to public!

Click here to return to my VT CHICAGO HOMEPAGE.

Went to lots of trouble for me;

Cooked for me, fetched me, drove me etc etc.
I owe him one huge THANK YOU!

• Written August 21, 2006

• Dabs profile photo Dabs
  • Reviews: 4237

Various: Loop Hotels

The Loop, Chicago's business district, also has quite a few hotels and is closer to the museum campus (Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium and Field Museum), the Art Institute, the theater district, Grant Park where many of the summer food/music festivals are held and Millennium Park. There aren't as many restaurants in the Loop as there are in the Magnificent Mile/River North area but both areas are a short cab ride (or bus or el) away from each other.

Grand Dame hotel: Palmer House Hilton

Boutique hotels: Hotel Burnham, Hotel Monaco, Hotel Allegro, Crowne Plaza Silversmith, Hampton Majestic

More contemporary hotels: W City Center, Hard Rock Hotel, Hotel 71

Large hotels: Hilton on S. Michigan, Hyatt Regency, Renaissance on Wacker, Swissotel

Budget hotels: Travelodge, Best Western Grant Park, Essex, Congress (see my other tip)

• Written December 19, 2005

Palmer House

• goingsolo profile photo goingsolo
  • Reviews: 2750

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sheraton Gateway O'Hare: Sheraton Gateway O'Hare

If you're looking for an airport hotel near O'Hare, the Hilton is your best bet. The rest of the O'Hare airport hotels are located a couple of miles away. The Sheraton was a bit disappointing. Its well set up as a business hotel, with suites and workspaces, but things did not seem to be running too well. Shuttle service is a bit sporadic too and its remote location makes it not to well suited for anything.

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written August 27, 2005

• klubkidd80 profile photo klubkidd80
  • Reviews: 47
Downtown is EXPENSIVE

If you are looking to stay in Chicago...either don't go when its tourist season (summer) or stay on the outskirts of the city centre. A lot of Chicagos hotels downtown are 5* properties who will charge an average of 300USD a night!! If this price doesn't bother you than by all means pay it!! The Drake Hotel looks lovely, but I won't be staying there if it will make me bankrupt!!

• Written August 1, 2005

• Seabiscuit profile photo Seabiscuit
  • Reviews: 93

Marriott Suites O'Hare: Nice on the Cheap

I was eyeing the fountains from my room window, and wanted to take a gander at them a little closer. So, on the last day there, I did. I truly believe this fountain should be dubbed: "Geyser With a Prostate Condition". It would mightly suck up about 20 imperial gallons into a little holding tank, then would spit up a little jet, maybe 3" into the air, then fizzle out.

I have no idea why I thought this, but I had a good laugh.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written June 6, 2005

The Little Fountain That Couldn't

• Seabiscuit profile photo Seabiscuit
  • Reviews: 93

Marriott Suites O'Hare: Very Nice on the Cheap

This Marriott is only a few minutes from O'Hare, and about 20 - 25 from Downtown (depending on who was just rear-ended on the highway). I have to admit, they have the fluffiest beds on the Planet (and when you're hurtling *toward* the Planet, that's a good thing).

Wasn't too crazy about the construction noise, but they swore it would be completed by July 1st. Jackhammers do not a pleasant waketh, maketh. The rooms are among the most stylish in a Hotel of this sort, read that, 'really cool'!

I got a great deal from AAA for $101 (USD)/night

They do have a good sized pool, a hot (and Katmo says, "HOT"!) hot tub. Oh, yeah, and a sauna. Also, a moderate work-out room with treadmills, cycles, and some other stuff, but no free weights.

The Restaurant is rather nice, I had a dinner of Ahi Tuna when I got there, and it was quite nice. (Note, they also have Guinness). The buffet breakfast included made-to-order omelettes that were great.

The grounds were well-kept and landscaped, although, if you go to see the fountains, well, that's another thing. (See below)

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written June 6, 2005

East Side of Marriott

• amazingclick profile photo amazingclick
  • Reviews: 130

Hi Hostel Chicago: Hi Hostel Chicago

I would describe my stay as perfect. Probably the best hostel in United States in terms of facilities. Really big quiet clean rooms with enclosed bath rooms. 5 star quality hostel. Just a 2 minute walk from the Sears Tower.

Clean, Centrally Located, Excellent facilities.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 17, 2005

Inside view of a room at Hi Chicago

• RsbrySwrrl profile photo RsbrySwrrl
  • Reviews: 26

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Quality Inn Downtown: Neat Greektown Location

We stayed at the Quality Inn on Halsted St. in Greektown for 3 nights. The location is not actually in the downtown area - it's a short walk across a bridge over the interstate. But Greektown is a very vibrant and interesting cultural area of Chicago. We walked into downtown each morning and grabbed breakfast at the McDonald's in the lobby of one of the buildings right across the bridge. Service was standard and appropriate for this class of hotel. The room was great - high floor with a balcony and lovely view!

Great views from the balcony on high floors. Beautiful at night.

• Written November 25, 2004

• ani10881 profile photo ani10881
  • Reviews: 43

Free hospitality

www.hospitalityclub.org www.couchsurfing.com are great sites to check out for travellers who:

A. could use a free place to crash for a little while.
B. would like to meet new people from all over the world to hang out with.
C. little bit of A and B.

You can meet unique people with unique perspectives. This blurb is off the HC site:

The Hospitality Club is a non-commercial project. We founded it, because we truly believe in the idea that bringing people together and fostering international friendships will increase intercultural understanding and strengthen peace. We do not want to make a profit with the site. To keep it free and working well, the biggest challenge is to motivate other people who share our vision to help with the club. That's why it is set up as a volunteer organization where anyone can contribute. At the same time, the club is a long term project for us that is going to be a big part of our life for many years to come. We try to run it as professionally, as safely, as intelligently and as friendly as possible. We take full advantage of technology where it makes sense, but always focus on our main mission: enabling face-to-face meetings between human beings.

• Related to: Backpacking, Trains, Budget Travel
  • Written October 28, 2004

• shrimp56 profile photo shrimp56
  • Reviews: 2379

Chicago Metropolitan Correctional Center: Not your first choice for the night :(((

Errrrrrrrmmm ... well I haven't actually STAYED here ... It was designed by the well-known architect, Harry Weese.

To quote Christy Rogers:
Although hailed as an inventive, stylish, post-modern solution to an urban jail, it is difficult for me to enthuse over what is an example of the potential of architecture to express state control through surveillance and confinement.

• Related to: Architecture
  • Written September 24, 2004
Tip Photo

• gilabrand profile photo gilabrand
  • Reviews: 311

Elms Hotel: A Family and Pet-Friendly Place

For families, especially those with pets, this could be a good solution for visiting downtown Chicago. It's sort of shabby, but then again, you won't feel bad if your kids whoop it up. I stayed there for a weekend with my husband and 3 boys. They were little kids at the time, and had a blast in the huge family suite they gave us, which was more like an old-fashioned apartment than a hotel room. My boys loved hiding in all the big empty closets...We stayed there in the winter and found it a little overheated for our taste. The elevators were also sort of slow. It's not the Ritz, but it certainly served the purpose.

The location is good. There's a beach one block away (which we didn't try out because we were there in the winter). The lakefront, Water Tower, John Hancock building, Michigan Ave. and other Chicago musts are right around the corner. The street is lined with trees, home to a huge squirrel population. We didn't have any pets with us, but apparently the hotel caters to the sort that bring their animals along on their travels. Short-term stays of 30 days or more are also possible. Some of the rooms have kitchen facilities.

• Written May 18, 2004

• shellybelly567 profile photo shellybelly567
  • Reviews: 101

Dylan & Mark's Home for Wayward Kitties: Thanks, Guys

Dylan and Mark were kind enough to let me stay with them during my visit to Chicago, which is cool, considering I was there to visit them. They have a cute little apartment in North Chicago, conveniently located directly next to a mexican restaurant and a convenience store, otherwise known as "the fridge".

They were really good to me, though. They woke my passed-out-on-the-couch-drunk-ass up to put me to bed, didn't complain about my hair dryer that resembles a giant ray gun living in their bathroom, and didn't even complain when I ate their Rice-A-Roni out of the fridge with my fingers-oh wait, well Mark might have, had he known I did that.

I would have to say the most unique quality is the two cats. Brother and sister gray and white kitties, named The King of Town and The Cheat. They seem like cute little unassuming tiny beasts, but they're actually incredibly neurotic little furballs (as any cat should be).

• Written May 12, 2004
Tip Photo

watch out for those collapsing chicago decks

• Stephen-KarenConn profile photo Stephen-KarenConn
  • Reviews: 2608

Hyatt Regency O'Hare: Convenient to both the Airport and the City

Usually when we visit a world class city such as Chicago we prefer to stay downtown within walking distance of the major attractions. However, on a recent business trip we were booked into the Hyatt Regency O'Hare. It turned out to be a great experience. Not only were we convenient to the airport, but a train station within walking distance of the hotel gave us easy access to downtown as well. This would be a good choice for those flying into Chicago, or for those who are driving but want to avoid the downtown traffic.

Restaurant, Pool, Meeting Rooms, etc., and connected to the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center. It is a 15 mile subway ride to Chicago's Loop.

• Written March 9, 2004

Hyatt Regency O'Hare from the Subway Platform

• 2rs profile photo 2rs
  • Reviews: 140

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Days Inn O'Hare International: Affordable accomodations close to O'Hare Airport

The Days Inn O'Hare International is perfect if you are flying out early from Chicago O'Hare airport and want to stay close to the airport without be spending too much money.

This is a clean and safe no-frils hotel with restaurant/bar and 24 hour reception service.
The flyboys and girls (pilots and steward/dresses) stay there when they have to cover the cost themselves, so it cant be too bad. I guess you get what you pay for.

Cheap and close to the airport.

• Written February 8, 2004