Chicago Hotels

Our Members Say

• goingsolo profile photo goingsolo
  • Reviews: 2750

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sheraton Gateway O'Hare: Sheraton Gateway O'Hare

If you're looking for an airport hotel near O'Hare, the Hilton is your best bet. The rest of the O'Hare airport hotels are located a couple of miles away. The Sheraton was a bit disappointing. Its well set up as a business hotel, with suites and workspaces, but things did not seem to be running too well. Shuttle service is a bit sporadic too and its remote location makes it not to well suited for anything.

• Related to: Business Travel
  • Written August 27, 2005

• Glorija profile photo Glorija
  • Reviews: 211

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Sheraton Chicago Northwest: The best stay in Chicago!

I had a lovely experience here in this hotel. A great place for families since they offer an indoor pool and spa tub. I was very happy to stay in such a friendly hotel. Really big rooms with a great atmosphere.

The Sheraton Chicago Northwest has very spacious guest rooms and excellent recreation facilities, including a heated indoor pool and tennis courts.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Spa and Resort
  • Written February 23, 2007

Outside of the hotel

• shrimp56 profile photo shrimp56
  • Reviews: 2377

Chicago Metropolitan Correctional Center: Not your first choice for the night :(((

Errrrrrrrmmm ... well I haven't actually STAYED here ... It was designed by the well-known architect, Harry Weese.

To quote Christy Rogers:
Although hailed as an inventive, stylish, post-modern solution to an urban jail, it is difficult for me to enthuse over what is an example of the potential of architecture to express state control through surveillance and confinement.

• Related to: Architecture
  • Written September 24, 2004
Tip Photo

• mary.martin profile photo mary.martin
  • Reviews: 1

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Avenue Hotel: Great place to getaway

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night and had a great experience. We live in Chicago and occasionally enjoy getting away for a night or two in a hotel downtown. I would consider the Avenue Hotel a chique boutique hotel. It was modern, and yet extremely comfortable not to mention in an excellent location that is walking distance to everything important like shopping, restaurants, bars etc. The staff was very friendly and gave us an incredible room with a view of the city. No matter how long you live here you never get tired of the skyline at night. I would definitely recommend coming here!

location, location, location. Great staff

• Related to: Food and Dining, Arts and Culture, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written August 31, 2009

• Herkbert profile photo Herkbert
  • Reviews: 503

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

theWit: Great new hotel in the Loop.

One word describes our stay at theWit - Terrific!

The hotel just opened in May 2009 and is modern, stylish and has a great vibe. It's located in the loop area, very convenient to theaters, restaurants and tourist sites.

The staff were all friendly and helpful. We were very impressed by the service provided. This is not an old stuffy hotel.

The rooms are very spacious and well appointed. Ours was a corner view room that had a sitting room, separate bedroom and a large spa bathroom. The sitting room had a couch, chair and 42" flat screen TV. The bedroom had a very comfortable king size bed, a lounger and another big screen tv. The bathroom had a spa tub and a separate stand up shower. For those who need space, there was also three closets plus drawers for storage.

Did we like it, yes. Would we recommend it, yes. Will we go back, you bet!

We had a great view of the Chicago River from our room. Great to watch the boats go by, especially at dusk.

The hotel has a very popular bar/lounge on the roof called theRoof. It's an open air bar with fire pits and a kitchen for small plate food. Beware, it gets packed quickly and is very trendy.

Our room also had a kitchenette with a refrigerator and microwave.

• Related to: Architecture, Food and Dining
  • Written September 21, 2009

View from our room.

• Dabs profile photo Dabs
  • Reviews: 4102

Various: Family friendly lodging

Family friendly lodging is a topic that comes up frequently, I've never stayed at any of these hotels but these are some of the places I see frequently mentioned that have multiple bedrooms and amenities such as microwaves and refrigerators plus sometimes free breakfast.

Homewood Suites

Embassy Suites

Springhill Suites

Hampton Inn and Suites.

I've also seen VRBO listed as a place to accomodate more than 2 people, these are basically short term apartment rentals

www.vrbo.com

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written November 21, 2008

• amazingclick profile photo amazingclick
  • Reviews: 130

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hi Hostel Chicago: Hi Hostel Chicago

I would describe my stay as perfect. Probably the best hostel in United States in terms of facilities. Really big quiet clean rooms with enclosed bath rooms. 5 star quality hostel. Just a 2 minute walk from the Sears Tower.

Clean, Centrally Located, Excellent facilities.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written May 17, 2005

Inside view of a room at Hi Chicago

• katmag profile photo katmag
  • Reviews: 278

Motel 6

This place was actually very clean, and at $46 a night it couldn't be beat. It was in the suburbs of Chicago, but on such short notice we couldn't find anything in the city. This place was convenient enough, and we could've driven just a little bit to the train to take that into the city. Unfortunately, although this place is very clean, it is just the bare minimum. All you get is a bar of soap and a roll of toilet paper. Not even an alarm clock. You do, however, get a TV with free HBO, if you really want to spend your vacation watching TV.

• Written May 20, 2003

• katmag profile photo katmag
  • Reviews: 278

Hotel Suggestions

You can stay either in the city of Chicago itself, or by the O'Hare airport. These are the two best places because you don't need to rent a car. Downtown Chicago is obviously the most convenient because you can walk or use the metro and taxis, but if you stay in the complex of hotels by the O'Hare, they are right next to a train station of the local train that will take you to anywhere in Chicago in about 20 minutes. You might save some money this way. These airport hotels will usually have O'Hare in their name.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written May 21, 2003

• LHOON profile photo LHOON
  • Reviews: 142

International House - University of Chicago: A student haven...

The International House at the University of Chicago is available for short and medium term accomodation if your stay in Chicago is of an academic nature (not necessarily as a student of the UofC).

A diverse, international public lives here. Unique multicultural ambiance. No catering, but a communal kitchen where everyone prepares his/her own dish.

Located in the safe Hyde Park neigborhood.

• Related to: Study Abroad
  • Written April 16, 2003

International House, Chicago

• KaiM profile photo KaiM
  • Reviews: 375

Arlington House: Cheap dorm rooms

Arlington House is a big hostel with several male and female dormitory rooms. They also have some single rooms. But I stayed in one of the male dorms. Price for one night is $24 including tax. Arlington House has no curfew and you can check-in 24 hrs. each day. They have a kitchen for free usage. Coffee is also for free.

Staff at Arlington House is very friendly and the rooms are clean. It is a great place to get in touch and to talk to other travellers, both foreigners and US-citizens.

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written December 23, 2002

The frontside of Arlington House

• melemeday profile photo melemeday
  • Reviews: 58

A pretty good hostel here is...

A pretty good hostel here is Arlingtong House: the rooms are pretty okay, the bathrooms will take a little getting used to. It is a pretty quiet neighborhood of Lincoln Park, but close to alot of sights and a short bus ride to downtown.

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written August 25, 2002

• BeatChick profile photo BeatChick
  • Reviews: 655

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Arlington House Hostel: Charming Location in Lincoln Park!

After I swarped our kids off to NYC for Labor Day weekend, Mr. Connolly surprised me with a trip to Chicago! Mind you, we hadn't traveled since our honeymoon in 1992 so he was a bit trepidatious in making the travel arrangements. I backed off from making any plans and let him take control, merely reminding him that because Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the US and also smack-dab in the center of the country it makes for a very popular conference city!

Well, he waited a bit too late and we ended up staying at the youth hostel in Lincoln Park, Arlington House Hostel. The one on Congress has only dorm rooms and the hostel I normally stay at had filled their one single room. We were very happy about finding accommodations here, especially considering it was in the famous Lincoln Park area, an area likened to Greenwich Village in New York, with its winding cobblestoned streets, nightlife, restaurants, and bars! Plus, there are very few hotels in this area (the Day's Inn seems to be perpetually booked - couldn't book for this trip, the one with my son, nor a tentative girls' trip).

Then the snag - we read reviews about this place on TripAdvisor.com which contained horror stories of BEDBUGS (I know)! Turns out we didn't need to worry because we had nary a problem with any sort of critters in our room.

Unfortunately, the hostel itself is not very charming (as you can see from the photos). Terrible '70s bedspreads and ugly concrete floors. We did find ourselves lucky to have our own sink & toilet, a rarity in a hostel.

One of the Lou Malnati's is located in this area and delivers to the various hotels in the area. Also, Charlie Trotters, considered one of THE best restaurants in the US (Anthony Bourdain loves the place) is located in Lincoln Park.

Nearby on Clark Street, parking is available at Lincoln Park Supermarket (please see tip in my General Tips).

Also, go to my Lincoln Park area travelogue to get an idea of what this area has to offer - gorgeous place. I would live here in a heartbeat. On a recent trip, I even stopped back in this area to look at some of the apartments available on W. Arlington, a charming tree-lined winding street which reminds me very much of the Chelsea area of New York!

Photos: November 2008

• Related to: Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Singles, Budget Travel
  • Written June 28, 2009

Arlington House Youth Hostel

• Tom_In_Madison profile photo Tom_In_Madison
  • Reviews: 335

Quality Inn: park 'n Fly from here for $100

I booked this thru the www.parknfly.com site. I stayed here on a friday night, then they drove me to the airport, and I kept my car in their surface parking lot for 10 days. Then they picked me up at the airport and drove me back. Cost $99 for one night to sleep, and parked for free.

Hotel was nice too, free breakfast. Staff was very helpful.

free shuttle to O'Hare, runs every hour or so.

• Written November 26, 2008

• Martman profile photo Martman
  • Reviews: 282

Buddy

I stayed at my friend. He is the nicest person and went out of his way to ensure I had a great time. Thank You! I regret to advise that this accomodation is not open to public!

Click here to return to my VT CHICAGO HOMEPAGE.

Went to lots of trouble for me;

Cooked for me, fetched me, drove me etc etc.
I owe him one huge THANK YOU!

• Written August 21, 2006